Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
SO how will you explain that you need such pc specs for these graphics and it looks the same on ps 4 with worse hardware?

The games are optimized for PS4 hardware and they are ported for PC with minimal effort (basically they are unoptimized for PC).

The optimization part is critical to the game performance therefore please inform yourself about the subject and stop asking dumb questions.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Don't you know that there aren't dumb questions, only dumb answers.

The games are optimized for PS4 hardware and they are ported for PC with minimal effort (basically they are unoptimized for PC).

How do you know that game is written for consoles, if basicaly the consoles of current gen are PCs ? how do you know it took them minimal effort, are you on the dev team?

The optimization part is critical to the game performance

That has always been the case for consoles, PC specs were always 10 times higher than those of consoles for the same games since first consoles.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Don't you know that there aren't dumb questions, only dumb answers.

You should know.

How do you know that game is written for consoles, if basicaly the consoles of current gen are PCs ?

The main physical difference between PCs and console is the fact that consoles hardware is locked for a generation (which implies at least 4 years).

The hardware is obsolete on release and the only way consoles can be kept relevant for gaming is to squeeze as much performance from them as possible.

From a developer's point of view the advantage of consoles is that great optimizations can be made for that specific platform while only generic optimizations can be made for a PC game. That's why console development is optimization heavy.

In fact, both consoles are working with optimized graphic libraries for those specific hardware:
- Playstation 4 uses PSGL and PSSL.
- Xbox One uses DirectX 11.2 with added low-level Xbox One extensions.

Usually porting a game from one hardware platform to another means that the driver calls are re-binded to the equivalent functions available on the new platform.

On PCs side, OpenGL and DirectX are generic graphic APIs and they will not provide the same results as the optimized graphic libraries developed for consoles.

They could provide the same/better results but on PC's side nobody will invest so much time in optimizing for a specific set of graphic cards because it doesn't make sense.

Now, it's obvious that writing a game for a console is not equivalent to developing a game for PCs.

And of course console games are specifically written for consoles because otherwise they will not take advantage of the single most important thing the consoles offer: a stable HW platform.

how do you know it took them minimal effort, are you on the dev team?

Providing a good port for a game implies that:
- the game is re-designed for PCs (different control scheme, different UI, different expectations and so on).
- making sure that most PC configuration will support the game (a nightmare for a console developer).

The thing is most companies don't have the know-how, money or time to provide decent ports. They usually just re-compile the code on the new platform (barely working) and they release it.

This is also the most profitable thing they can do. Most console franchises mean shit to PC gamers and the opposite, it really doesn't make sense to invest time and money for releasing on another platform without being sure about the results.

You don't have to be in the dev team to know this shit. Look at what happened with Dark Souls port and countless others.

They suck because the developers were too lazy to develop proper ports not because PC configurations suck.

That has always been the case for consoles, PC specs were always 10 times higher than those of consoles for the same games since first consoles.

As I said before, the same game is not actually the same game. PS4 binaries will not execute on PC or the opposite.

Instead of doing a proper port, developers will prefer to say: you need such a powerful PC to run this shitty PS4 game. It's a marketing gimmick.

And if you are gullible enough then you might even be tempted to buy a console.

Turjan

Arcane
If I understood that correctly, the main problem with current console-to-PC ports is that programs written for consoles expect to have 8GB of video memory to work with (out of the shared memory pool). In other words, stuff that would run on CPU and system RAM on PC is written to run on the GPU. A port would have to adjust this, but most don't.

If I understood that correctly, the main problem with current console-to-PC ports is that programs written for consoles expect to have 8GB of video memory to work with (out of the shared memory pool). In other words, stuff that would run on CPU and system RAM on PC is written to run on the GPU. A port would have to adjust this, but most don't.

Looked this up and found these:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-the-ps4-and-xbox-have-raised-pc-system-requirements/

One thing is unclear to me though, can memory usage really be shifted from VRAM to DRAM for a PC port by proper optimization, or do I need to fork out $1000 for a 16 GB GDDR5 GPU to keep my PC master race advantage comfortably wide?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Looked this up and found these:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-the-ps4-and-xbox-have-raised-pc-system-requirements/

One thing is unclear to me though, can memory usage really be shifted from VRAM to DRAM for a PC port by proper optimization, or do I need to fork out $1000 for a 16 GB GDDR5 GPU to keep my PC master race advantage comfortably wide?

Ports will never offer the quality of the original experience. Avoid them.

1) Play PC games on PCs.
2) Play console games on consoles.

There is no other solution.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Ports should start to become better once engines will use code written from the ground up for X1/PS4, not hybrids including PS3/X360.

Also, out of the 8GB RAM of consoles, only 5GB can be used for games, and out of that only ~3GB will be used for graphic assets (textures etc.). So having a GPU with 3GB VRAM should be the bare minimum to pull you through this generation, provided you don't use crazy resolutions and crazy MSAA settings.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Ports will never offer the quality of the original experience.

dd04ouyv.jpg

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
Ports will never offer the quality of the original experience. Avoid them.

1) Play PC games on PCs.
2) Play console games on consoles.

There is no other solution.
No thanks, I prefer to avoid 30fps where possible.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

1 thing i like about this game, the zombies are slow like they were meant to be. I hate zombie games with fast zombies.

Deleted member 11480

Wow, the gameplay looks pretty smooth and nice, but it also looks piss easy, what exactly is the challenge in this game? Doesn't seem like beating the zombies is part of it through this video

Wow, the gameplay looks pretty smooth and nice, but it also looks piss easy, what exactly is the challenge in this game? Doesn't seem like beating the zombies is part of it through this video

During the day they're piss weak and rely on numbers... during the night, special infected enter the scene that you can't hope to beat in a straight fight, they swarm the living crap out of you AND the normal, piss easy, zombies become quite a bit more powerful as well.

I hate to say it, but it's a...
:d1p:
... for me.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'll day 1 pirate it. Not like there's anything better to play in Feb.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Is this another useless random loot collector or are there actual reasons for exploration? Have the devs said anything about level scaling or hand-placed loot?
...I've got fever so I'm derpish and prone to high expectations :smug:

Also those specs :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom