Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy is Hellgate London + DX

ortucis

Prophet
That sounds amazing except that the EYE developers didn't improve upon anything. Half-assed implementations of features from both games (Hellgate and DeusEx) actually end up ruining what could have been a pretty good shooter.

So far in EYE I am only loving the sound and feel of weapons. They should have tried keeping the RPG elements to minimal like Borderlands (and yes, weapons in EYE actually sound better than Borderlands). Since I still play it, Hellgate London SP is way better than EYE and Borderlands combined as far as I am concerned.

Anyways, playthrough shots from first level:

E.Y.E.

Game starts with a mysterious stat chart on-screen..

dCTBjh.jpg

Easy to understand, you select your stats and move on to the mysterious portal in the distance..

3nBZzh.jpg

Next to the mysterious portal lies the body of your Mentor, mysteriously murdered by you.. or was he? (seriously I have no idea)

Y86BIh.jpg

WTF was he the mentor of if you have to start from level-1 and train in everything from scratch anyway?

Anyways, you enter the mysterious portal and spawn in a mysterious cave and are contacted by your not-so-mysterious commander..

6EpqPh.jpg

Commander Rimjob: "Do you copy? Are you alive?"
Me:
*coughs* "I.. I think so commander. It seems we have been attacked by the mages guild. Fireballs.. EVERYWHERE."

ComRim tells you to move on and meet someone or some people. I don't know, I was too shocked to find the bodies of my former comrades which the commander failed to mention..

fjGquh.jpg

*fu.. this.. armor.. isn't coming off, wtf is.. is this thing glued? FUCK IT!*

Me: *sighs* "I will avenge your death brothers.. I guess, without armor that is going to goto waste here.. I will avenge thee."

*you take a look back at the loss of all this armor.. and life, and move on*

On the way to the exit you avenge your brothers by shaming their killer in his death.. BEHOLD!

dD4k6h.jpg

I move on and use a lift (which you have to wait fucking forever to come back down if you accidently activate it and didn't get in) only to find a lone templar model with developer-mode icon from "HL2 Episodes" above him.. interesting..

CcnUkh.jpg

His refusal to acknowledge my awesome presence pissed me off. I moved on to the locker behind him and picked out medium armor and a machine gun only to encounter..

sSEJMh.jpg

Aww.. I mean, DISGUSTING BEASTS!! I murder them and move on to find myself in a Mirrors Edge level..

CoKk2h.jpg

Excited at a Indie game featuring possible Mirrors Edgisque running and jumping in FPS view, I slide myself down...

N55Gkh.jpg

.. to my mysterious death.

:x

But the death seems intentional since I don't think there was another way down. Anyways, I respawn in a few seconds right at the spot where I splat-landed (I like how this game reminds you in first few minutes that you are basically just playing a MP game disguised as SP).

Suddenly, I find the Policemen (enemies) who instead of asking questions start shooting (realistic) with deadly accuracy.. using SHOTGUNS at this distance (not realistic)..

PPDmlh.jpg

Do note how your character does a short commentry on how much he sucks or how much he rocks with every fucking shot. What a douche.

KeIwsh.jpg

VICTORY!

Time to loot the brave soldiers who gave their lives for some reason unknown to me.. who am I working for again? Well, at least these guys knew what they were doing. Time to go and pay my respects to the formidable ex-opponents corpses..

I..

1oBUrh.jpg

.. err..

aAnS1h.jpg

.. what?..

Bc774h.jpg

.. NEVERMIND!

Moving on, I enter the local dungeons..

DW4KXh.jpg

I know what you are thinking. It isn't radiated. Just mysteriously lit. I jumped in and out to make sure of that (ok, I accidently fell in thanks to the collision). I encountered few enemies placed at every corner here. They can kill you with one shot so remember to lean (which means camera rotates hilariously at the same spot) and take them out. Shouldn't be a problem considering the AI doesn't even bother moving from the spot in the swers to chase you.

Later on in the level I have to hack a door to progress (no, there is no way around, another reminder why this is a half-ass copy of DeusEx and Hellgate)..

hqJrUh.jpg

I kept getting hacked back and ended up dying. Instead of spawning at the same spot like I usually do, I end up going into the land of the mysterious portal only to find..

0JIe1h.jpg

RAIDEN!

I tried asking him about the new Mortal Kombat series but he refused to aknowledge my awesome presence. Fuck it, I moved into the portal to go back and retry hacking and..

CcnUkh.jpg

THANK GOD the game restarted the whole chapter to hide my shame. I quit. Maybe I will try this game again after the first 10 patches are released.

I understand not having save game system in Unreal 3 engine (because Epic didn't built one, the reason why they use checkpoints in U3 games) game, but in Source engine? I am pretty sure there was quicksave/quickload along with autosaves and a save system that worked just fine anywhere in-game when I played HL2+Epsidoes. Why doesn't a mod have that system is a mystery to me.

Current status: Waiting for developers to finish the game before I replay from start.

In the end..
- Game performance is fine. I maxed it out and game runs lag-free for me on a 5 yr old PC. Game looks better than DeusEx. Actually somewhere between DX and DX: IW.

- I like the large open levels. Reminds me of Dark Messiah and HL2. I hated HL2 but the levels were great. EYE has good level design so far.

- It's a good shooter with satisfying feel to the weapons. Weapons look good as well.

- Game GUI is shit, messy and pointlessly complicated.

- I think the RPG elements feel forced and added as afterthought instead of being integraded into levels from start. A game which has stealth and fails to let player use it in first level itself is a failiure. They should go and play Liberty Island from DX again to learn how to show off different player builds in first level itself.

Overall game doesn't really suck, but it isn't finished as well. I would have excused the bugs and unfinished game if one person was working on the whole thing. But EYE development team isn't exactly small as far as I can tell. But they are talking about patching it on Steam forums so wait and watch.

Hellgate London SP shots..

NOATkh.jpg

QoTMvh.jpg

SaGcWh.jpg

YdFnih.jpg

zMJf0h.jpg

yfRC3h.jpg

ve0QBh.jpg

iphiEh.jpg

Suchy

Arcane
Heh I just gave it a try. Had exactly the same experience, quit at the same exact moment, then I found this thread...
Uninstalling now.

Mortmal

Arcane
Its really not as bad as you make it looks like, just bought it and played a few hours.
I dont think the interface is messy , it does the job, show lots of info, you can customize easily your character in many possible ways.
You find and use the stuff easily,a few panels and just right click to make shortcuts on the wheel. Use mouse buttons and associate the most used functions, not that hard to manage. I wont call that a "steep learning curve" like i've read in some english magazines.
Theres certainly a few bugs, Enemy IA isnt great, but its entertaining nonetheless. It has an oldschool feeling theres no handholding ,the ambiance is mature it reminds of blade runner or syndicate, i am sure you loose a lot in the english traduction, lot of french stuff is impossible to translate.
Theres nice little touchs, like loosing sanity and getting hallucinations , shooting everywhere, seeing more enemies than there is.It borrows a bit from stalker, well it borrows a bit from many good games, even xcom with the research slain enemy stuff.
No really even if its not a mastepiece , its a rough gem made by a team of 10 guys only, a 6/10 or even 7/10 game , i am feeling generous because its a pc game made for normal gamers , with fairly good level design .

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Mortmal said:
Its really not as bad as you make it looks like, just bought it and played a few hours.
I dont think the interface is messy , it does the job, show lots of info, you can customize easily your character in many possible ways.
You find and use the stuff easily,a few panels and just right click to make shortcuts on the wheel. Use mouse buttons and associate the most used functions, not that hard to manage. I wont call that a "steep learning curve" like i've read in some english magazines.
Theres certainly a few bugs, Enemy IA isnt great, but its entertaining nonetheless. It has an oldschool feeling theres no handholding ,the ambiance is mature it reminds of blade runner or syndicate, i am sure you loose a lot in the english traduction, lot of french stuff is impossible to translate.
Theres nice little touchs, like loosing sanity and getting hallucinations , shooting everywhere, seeing more enemies than there is.It borrows a bit from stalker, well it borrows a bit from many good games, even xcom with the research slain enemy stuff.
No really even if its not a mastepiece , its a rough gem made by a team of 10 guys only, a 6/10 or even 7/10 game , i am feeling generous because its a pc game made for normal gamers , with fairly good level design .
but did you finish it?

Mortmal

Arcane
No not finished yet but i will ! I know its bad giving opinion before finishing, but i am not doing anything worse than any reviewer from serious gaming magazines, i probably played it more than them already . EA did not send me any money to give indie games bad rates either.

Oriebam

I didn't mean to imply it's bad to say shit about games you don't finish. We're on the codex anyway.
I thought this was the kind of game that's so bad you don't even finish.
Hoping modders will fix it

ortucis

Prophet
Mortmal said:

The learning curve is there because the developers fucked up simple GUI which the player will be looking at for the rest of the game.

I posted the Hellgate inventory screenshot in comparison for a reason. Even with fuckload of information on screen it takes a few seconds for your eyes to follow section A-B and a few seconds for your brain to get used to "what is where". All this thanks to nice use of gradients/colors/icons all over the place.

In comparison, EYE has same yellow text, yellow icons thrown all over the place in the inventory then it has the stats divided into different pages with annoyances like plus signs (+) visible for upgrading stats even though you don't have the money to do that at the moment. I should taken a screenshot of inventory but am too lazy to go back in game just to do that at the moment, there are way too many issues with the whole thing.

They obviously tried hard to copy DeusEx with GUI as well (and failed again). Throwing in one feature after another from a thousand games doesn't mean you have a recipe for success. I can't exactly praise the loosing sanity part cause I suspect it will be as annoying as it was in Call of Cthulu game or that another Indie game that made no sense whatsoever (where you go around punching people). I REALLY hate this sanity bullshit in games because it is always handelled like shit. I haven't even experienced it anyway, couldn't get pass the first frackin door thanks to low hacking skill (great design decision there btw).

Like I said before, if this game was a work of one or maybe even two indie developers, I would have understood all these bugs in a ambitious project like this. But 10 people? (probably 7 are artists)

Anyways, waiting for a few updates before I touch this game again. Right now a RPG Maker quality game (actually, worse graphics) called "Cthulhu saves the world" is giving me more enjoyment than EYE.

Multi-headed Cow

Sovard said:
P.S. The actual hacking skill determines hacking distance and is used as a prerequisite for some gear. It does not aid in success or failure, which is purely individual skill.
Well that would explain why my hack heavy character with an upgraded hack aug still seems to have as hard of a time hacking as when he started. Derrrrrrrrp.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Ambitious game but in dire need of polish and bug fixes before I'd buy it.

ortucis

Prophet
Sovard said:
So, you do know that an objective is added to destroy the door's power box when you fail that hack. Right?

:roll:

Yea, I heard it in the news telecast after I turned on the TV that night. I mean, the developers sure as hell didn't want the players to know about any new objectives, it was upto the crack team of FOX reporters to tell us about new objectives by posing as Codex members.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
Sovard said:
P.S. The actual hacking skill determines hacking distance and is used as a prerequisite for some gear. It does not aid in success or failure, which is purely individual skill.
Well that would explain why my hack heavy character with an upgraded hack aug still seems to have as hard of a time hacking as when he started. Derrrrrrrrp.

From what I've seen, hacking skill increases the speed at which your hack bar fills. Hacking SEEMS hard, but is actually dirt easy AFAIK. Simply mask and scan your opponent's atk and def away, then overflow your own attack (reduce opp's atk when/if needed) and then launch a killing blow. Works 99.9% of the time. Unless you're taking on a sentry turret with hack skill <10, it should work.

Heavy Armor is a game breaker, so far. I'm on the 5th mission, and the only thing that can hurt me is gatling guns and laser beams. Even then, it takes quite a bit for those weapons to kill you. The laser can hurt a lot if you're busy with other enemies, but such a scenario almost never happens. Explosions can hurt, but apart from missiles launched from an unkillable plane in the 3rd mission, you never get hit with enough to die. I'm playing on normal, though. It might be a different story on hard. Of course, all this damage soaking wouldn't be possible without the medkit, which you can research very early on in the game. (infinite uses, needs to recharge though)

Multi-headed Cow

Yep, via guns. The heavy sniper rifle and the Blade Runner gun take 'em down super quick, but you can kill them with other guns if you have gobs of ammo and want to risk it.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
If the game fails they can always blame it on the "vague" title and rerelease it under a different name like MERCHANTS OF BROOKLYN / DRUG WARS.

Mortmal

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
Yep, via guns. The heavy sniper rifle and the Blade Runner gun take 'em down super quick, but you can kill them with other guns if you have gobs of ammo and want to risk it.

You can also one shot them with the psi power you get if you side with your mentor on mars.
Oh and finished it , it was worth it, cant argue it needs more polishing but the future of pc gaming come from people like them,they deserves support.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I wish the game took place entirely in the temple hub + city. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the city in the first mission and the apartment building in the 3rd.

Raapys

Arcane
I rather liked the game, though it feels like an alpha/beta version. And Google Translate could probably have done the translation better.

Still, the potential is amazing. Really hope they release mod tools and a map editor. With modders adding new weapons, maps and powers, and the devs fixing the countless bugs and unpolished feel, it could become awesome.

I'm actually interested in this game, but the mixed reception it got makes the € 20 price tag look a bit too much. So, let me ask a couple of questions to those who have bought it:
-Are all the different character options actually meaningful? I mean, do the different character builds actually require a different approach to the game or is the difference just cosmetic? Also, do stats matter at all outside of combat?
-Is there much to do outside of combat? Is exploration actually meaningful or is it just a waste of time?
-Broken as it may be, is the story actually engaging? Any interesting characters at all?
Thanks.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i didnt, but general codex opinion is:

grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind shit sucks

Bought it a few days ago. I can't really give a dispassionate opinion right now, but I'll post my first thoughts.

-Noticeable bugs and frequent crashes while changing maps, but no saved game corruptions (apparently fixed by the first patch). A bother, but not too much.
-It took me a little while to get into the game, because the developers didn't think it would be necessary to write a decent manual and relied on a series of poor video tutorials which I couldn't bring myself to watch entirely, so I had to figure out a few things on my own.
-Graphics are okay by my standards, sound is average, music fits the atmosphere and I really like some tracks. Art direction is a mix of all cyberpunk dystopia under the sun and I mostly like it. Thick grimdark depressing atmosphere, sketchy grimdark depressing backstory no better than average but it does its job. Every faction seems mostly evil and power-hungry and I'd be hard pressed to find "good guys" in the game. Your own character is a remorseless mass murderer. The story gets more and more surreal the longer you play, which might be better than playing straight the premise.
-Dialogue is decent to bad, often mistranslated, the language feels too "contemporary", too many childish insults.
-Gunplay is good by my FPS standards, not as tactical as I'd like but it might be just the kind of character I'm playing at the moment.
-A ton of stats, cyber-implants and research options, sometimes redundant, with a decent impact on gameplay as far as I can tell. I guess that you could really play the game in many different ways, as advertised. I wouldn't know yet, I'd have to start over with a different character.

My biggest complaint is that it does indeed require far too much grind. I like the fact that you can do random missions in the campaign maps you have unlocked, and they are reasonably varied, but you'd have to do dozens upon dozens to gain enough money to get far with cyber-implants and research. That stuff should cost a fourth than it does now. As it is, I don't know if the game will keep me entertained long enough to see it trough.
Another problem is that it's really too dark in places. The flashlight is nearly useless and although I have the cyber-implant to see in the dark I can't use it, because activating it causes a massive FPS drop for a few seconds.
Also, I can't tell if I'm close to the end of the campaign (and I'll have to grind a while to get through my current mission) but if so then the game is too short as well.

edit -
A couple of things that I should have added:

-AI is not very good, enemies often fail to notice you and never use any tactic other than frontal assault. If you are on a vantage point they won't be able to reach you unless the access is very close by.
-Not much to do but fighting, very few non combat-related quests, very few people to talk to in the handful of pacific areas.
-You choose who to side with in the campaign, three choices I think, I don't yet know how much difference does it make in the end.

As for the comparison with Deus Ex, I'd say that shooting feels better but everything else is worse. Overall you should probably buy it now only if, like myself, you're bored, easily entertained and can forgive much just to play a strange game. Otherwise keep an eye on the patches. If I do finish the game I'll be back with a final verdict in a while.

Well, it looks like nobody gives a damn about this game, but I said I would come back with something more so here it is. Lack of content is E.Y.E's main problem. The campaign is indeed, as I feared, very short. I managed to go through the last mission and after an underwhelming boss fight (that I won using invisibility and spamming grenades with hit-and-run tactics) I got one of the endings. There are three apparently, and from what I gather from the forums you are supposed to go through the campaign three times and do them all, which will unlock a fourth "true" ending. It seems that the three paths differ for one or two maps you visit. The plot gives an excuse for going through the campaign multiple times, and it would work if the game had an adequate length, but as it is it feels like a convenient way of re-using content. The devs seem to think of it as a feature, but doing the same campaign three times in different ways is no valid substitute for variety. You're not even free to try a new build, as you have to unlock all the endings with the same character.

As I mentioned you are always free to do random missions in the campaign maps that you can access from the temple, the game's hub. You can load this temple from the main menu even if you're mid-mission in the campaign. I guess that multiple runs of the campaign plus a good number of repetitive missions in the same handful of maps would actually give you enough experience and money to unlock really powerful cyber-techs and research, but what would be the point after you've done all the endings? To play once more a campaign that you could beat dozens of levels ago? I don't even feel like going through it again to complete all the endings, even if there are maps I haven't seen, not because I don't like the gameplay but because I can't stand to play the same missions in the same maps over and over again. What's the point in such a deep, complex character system if there's hardly enough content to put it to good use?

In spite of all this criticism I liked the game enough that I still haven't regretted the purchase, and I'll play it some more in the future. It has a strange charm, you see, the kind that makes me blind to even very obvious flaws. But the Codex-adjusted verdict is still: don't buy. If you are vaguely interested wait for a price drop or for the inclusion of additional content. Otherwise, don't bother.

Multi-headed Cow

Think a fair number of people liked it, but we mostly posted in the other thread(s).

Oriebam

Does this game have enough dialogue for me to get AUHEUHEAUHAEUHAEUAEHUAEHUAEHAEUHEAUHEU GIBE MONI O I REPOT U proficiency in french?

Multi-headed Cow said:
Think a fair number of people liked it, but we mostly posted in the other thread(s).
Damn, I don't read the Codex as much as I used to.

M4BE1R0 said:
Does this game have enough dialogue for me to get AUHEUHEAUHAEUHAEUAEHUAEHUAEHAEUHEAUHEU GIBE MONI O I REPOT U proficiency in french?
The garbled speech sounds cool actually, but there's not much dialogue and overall it's mostly shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom