Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime E3 2014 - June 10-12th - CONCLUDED

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date

Which developer will make the biggest splash at E3?

• Total voters

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
You have to be shitting me with these Jap strategies.:retarded: The only decent one I can think of is RotTK XI.Watching some of the mentioned with high regard titles(Tactics Ogre and Valkyria Chronicles) on youtube,begs the question Are you retarded to put them in the same category with JA/SS?

Dexter

Arcane
Didn't even watch Nintendo, not sure how they are even relevant anymore.
Going by the reaction from their E3 this year, I am sure that if they were irrelevant before, they gained a lot of relevance yesterday. Which is an interesting change from their previous years where they did terribly. People are seriously hyped.
Not surprising since they showed off Mario, Zelda, Kerfuffle, 3 new IPs, Star Fox and no BS talk about sales or other stuff meant to please shareholders. And was entirely focused on games and gameplay.
Okay, I watched it now since apparently I missed something big or something and I really don't get it. What felt like half of the showing was spent on rip-off plastic figurines.

Then they spend an inordinate amount of time on another "Yarn" game, who do they make these for? I never got why it has to be "Yarn" this or "Paper" that, why not just make a normal game people want to play? Do these things actually sell well, or is it more of a sponsorship thing?
Then they showed a Pre-Rendered screen and said "This is new Zelda, Preasu Understandu". Then Bayonetta 2 (Do Nintendo people even want this? Most third party games seem to sell like shit anyway.) Then a "Dynasty Warriors" type Zelda game that bored me to tears. A Kirby game (It's not Yarn, but why make it look like modelling clay and not just make a normal Kirby game?). Then some exaggerated "Animu" style JRPG. A "create your own Mario Levels" game called Mario Maker that looks like it would get boring fast. And finally a gimmicky ink-based "Versus" game made by what seems to be the Japanese equivalent of stoners that looked kinda interesting.

I never was into PrayStation or Xbawks, but as a child had a lot of Nintendo stuff like SNES and GameBoy. I loved Mario especially (although I never got into Zelda), played Mario Kart a lot, had a lot of fun with games like Turtles in Time, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Super Ghouls'n Ghosts, Battletoads, Super Bomberman, Donkey Kong Country etc. on the SNES. On the N64 I remember playing Super Mario 64, Bomberman 64, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64 (although I was never a fan).
On the GameBoy I played stuff like Mario Land, Gargoyle's Quest and even the first Pokemanz.

I even enjoyed some of the Wii games like Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Epic Mickey although I employed mostly Emulation through Dolphin since there weren't enough wortwhile games.

As I watch all their new stuff, aside from their Hardware being shit I have no doubt in my mind why they are so much behind in Sales and why they won't improve too much any time soon, since none of this stuff aside from the new Mario Kart gets me hard in the least and is apparently mostly targeted to absolute Nintendo "die-hards" who are also getting older and soon won't jump anymore at the sheer mention of "Mario", "Zelda" or "Metroid" either.

Anyway, some more gaems:

Really sad that SONY owns all the Psygnosis IPs and is going to use them for stuff like this, if at all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Studio_Liverpool#Games

Last edited:

Avellion

Erudite
I think that by now the Japanese are the only ones who understand turn-based strategy, faggot.
Among AAA devs, definately, but there are still a few good turn based western games.

Anyway, stuff like Valkyria Chronicles was far more enjoyable than crap like nuXCOM. That said, I don't think Project S.T.E.A.M. will be anywhere near as good as VC. Still, might be worth a look though.

It does not appeal to everyone. That much is for certain, Nintendo are in their own direction which is rather seperate from the industry norm.

That said, my point is, this whole thing generated a lot of attention for nintendo, a lot more than the other 4. And it was not negative attention either, but positive. Attention that is bound to generate more buyers for their system. Hell, it convinced 2 people I know to get a Wii U.

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
In an otherwise rather lame retrospective this pensioned games journalist gives at least a little insight at just how much they know they're being hacks.

I’m sorry to anyone who missed my gently coded warnings. When I said “we can’t wait to find out more,” at the end of a passionless regurgitation of a feature list, that was the closest thing I could professionally say to “I don’t even know what this game is”. The first time I heard someone say “we’ve really listened to our community”, I was impressed, and reported keenly on this consumer-orientated and responsive attitude. By the end of my career, all I wanted was one developer to say “we’ve ignored our community, as they are plainly fucking idiots”.

And when I said “this game isn’t going to change the world” in the last paragraph, I meant “I’m sorry I waited this long to try and tell you that this game looks utterly shit”.

I didn’t mean to generate unwarranted hype, and I’m sorry if you feel like your life is burdened with a hype surplus. But from inside my cell, I was trying to warn you.

He tried to warn you. Says it all really.

He also regrets not being an SJW :decline:

Yeah, and that part pisses me off to no end. A game writer being hetero or gay doesn't interest me in the least. I'm interested in wether or not he writes good stuff about games. I don't care about your politics or sexuality. Sure, if you feel it adds to an article go ahead but if it becomes the main mission to promote whatever shit you want to promote instead of writing about that which interested me in the first place... Well, thanks but no thanks.

Xi

Arcane
The only major thing I noted from any of this was that the worlds don't look as sparse as they once did. The gameplay is about the same, but the fidelity is a bit higher with fewer technical glitches (texture popping, framerate issues, odd loading due to RAM management, etc). Seems like it's gonna be a while before we get anything very notable out of these new machines (if we ever do). However, at least the RAM barrier has been broken and PCs can start using some of their superior hardware performance (only some though).

Machocruz

Arcane
After this E3, I've come to the realization that I'm at a crossroads with this hobby. I know that it is unrealistic to expect new ideas and innavashun' every year, but I'm also not interested in playing the same shit anymore. If I never see another over-the-shoulder perspective, or open world _____ , or cinemajestic actioner, or RTS, or JRPG, or combo-fest, or rogue-lite, etc. it will be too soon. If I never see another asymmetrical armor, titty witch, spays muhreen, ninjassassin, dragon, 30 year old dark-haired doucebag, or animu harem, it will be too soon. If I never see another waypoint marker, button input prompt for things you've already done 50 times, QTE, chest high wall, crafting system, skill unlock, melee finisher, "side"quest....

There are still a few, like Clockwork Empire, which I'm still looking forward to (good DF wannabes are in extremely short supply), but I don't even really give a shit about Bloodborne or a new Dragon's Dogma anymore even though their predecessors are my favorite console games of their generation.

I'm not saying sequels or re-iteration of certain play designs should come to an end for everyone else, I just have no interest in retreading the same ground with different skin, especially when substance is lacking in most examples these days. There are very few "mystery boxes" to unpack anymore, where it feels like you could come upon some new bit of content, a new mechanic, or that unforeseen events would unfold. With 98% of recent games you can exhaust the possibilities in the first 1/8 of the game, and often you are aware of this as it happens. E.g. Compare Morrowind to Oblivion - I can still pick up the former, and Daggerfall, and it feels like there is some unique item or unique environmental object/nook or NPC or bit of lore that I have yet to discover, even if that is not true -and I've had the game since 2002!; with the latter, I knew I had seen everything it had to offer between 5-10 hours, and I was right. Or think about Alpha Centauri: I didn't play that until 2 years ago and whoa that was truly a frontier experience. I knew the general outline of Civ and the 4x genre, but AC is so detailed and feature rich and the writing so good that I didn't know what the fuck would happen next and trusted that the game would keep on giving until the final turn. And I could say that often about games from the 80s until the early 2000s. Now, not so much. Is it me, is it age and experience? Maybe, but I doubt it. Games can still deliver when their creators have and stick to their own vision, e.g. Dwarf Fortress, Papers Please!, Cataclysm DDA, Dark Arisen (just the jump in difficulty leaves you guessing at what exactly they're going to throw at you).

tl;dr Splatoon looks really fun, mang.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Destiny looks like utter shit. Just a Borderlands ripoff with sprinkles of Mass Effect 3 biotics ripoff.

Of course the guy playing it is a retarded shill, with no mind of his own. "Oh wow, they just don't let up", meanwhile, the enemies aren't throwing grenades, pushing their advantage etc, they just sit there and shoot, while the melee mobs just run straight and get shot to death.

GreyViper

Prophet
Kingdom under Fire 2 is like a Duke Nukem Forever , lots of teaser videos over length of YEARS, but no game release.

Machocruz

Arcane
Funniest part about Destiny is that it's costing Activision 500 million dollars.

1778340.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
Zelda: Legend of Skyrim

LOL
An open world sandbox Zelda game, just what I have always wanted.

Just make a top down 2D Zelda game again, fags
They did last year. Were you living a in a cave or something?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Zelda: Legend of Skyrim

LOL
An open world sandbox Zelda game, just what I have always wanted.

Just make a top down 2D Zelda game again, fags
They did last year. Were you living a in a cave or something?
Not really, I just figured out A Link Between Worlds is more in the vein of Phantom Hourglass which I did not like much and stopped following it. Are you saying it is actually more like Link's Awakening/the Oracle games? That would be swell, although I somehow doubt it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I played the Gameboy Advance Zelda game (on PC :smug:) and thought it was pretty far below the standard of Link to the Past, despite reviews saying otherwise. That statement works for all Nintendo games since the SNES, actually.

Angthoron

Arcane
Destiny is just a subliminal anagram for Density, which, in turn, hints at the core audience this is designed for. The commenter in that gameplay video clearly fits into the target demographic.

Success guaranteed.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I keep thinking this is an Elder Scrolls game every time I see this mentioned.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Destiny looks like another colossal failure in the making. But Bobby is gonna get that fat bonus nonetheless.

Destiny is the first console FPS MMO. There is a huge market for that. Before Destiny, Boredlands is the only franchise doing that (and doing a pretty bad job at it). Look how successful BOredlands is.

Randy Pitchfork shat his pants when he played Destiny alpha. $10 says this is the reason Gearbox is not making a BOredlands 3 right now. They just can't compete with Destiny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom