Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eador Genesis

They can also develop Lvl30 full armies and heroes around ~130 turns into a map (playing skirmish)

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How's that?

222. Giant Rat

#Вымахавшие под влиянием эманаций Кристаллов Смерти до размеров крупной собаки, гигантские крысы многим отличаются от нормальных - и не только ростом. С вечно принюхивающейся морды этой наглой и дерзкой твари на вас смотрят не по-звериному коварные глаза. Но прежде всего на себя обращают внимание зубы - острейшие резцы и клыки вечно голодного хищника, ибо эти крысы куда более падки на мясо, чем их мелкие сородичи. Впрочем, они не брезгуют никакой пищей и порой едят такую гадость, что при укусе гигантской крысы заражение крови почти гарантировано.
Скрытты разводят гигантских крыс в различных целях - как вьючную скотину, сторожей, в качестве домашних любимцев, а иногда и еды. И, конечно же, их используют как боевых животных. Вставшему против крысиной стаи, нескончаемым потоком вырывающейся из подземных нор, не стоит надеяться на пощаду - от несчастных жертв не останется даже костей.#
Grown to the size of large dogs under the influence of Death Crystals, giant rats are very different from regular ones, and not just in size. The snouts of these cunning creatures are always moving, sniffing the air, their eyes glow with intelligence no regular animal possess. Their most noticeable feature are their teeth - long and incredibly sharp fangs of an always hungry predator, as giant rats are even more voracious then their lesser cousins. They eat everything including carrion, so their bite can poison the victim.
Ratmen keep giant rats for many things - they're used as beasts of burden, guard dogs, pets, and occasionally for food. However, their main purpose is war. Those who find themselves fighting the rats will face an endless horde of bodies pouring from underground tunnels that knows no mercy and leaves nothing, not even bones, in their wake.
I only have a rough idea what the original means in some places so it might be a loose interpretation, if I got something wrong, I'll need a native speaker to point it out.

One thing I've noticed in the new version, about the Head Wind spell:
The original says
Уменьшает скорость цели на 2, дальность выстрела - на 1
The translation is
Reduces the target's speed by 2 and ranged attack by 1
That should be either "attack range" or "range of attack", "ranged attack" is the value of damage a unit deals with ranged attack not its max range.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Another one:

224. Magic Crystal

#Волшебный кристалл - создание одного из старейших заклинаний боевых магов Эадора. Некогда оно было разработано загадочной расой Древних. Впервые столкнувшись с полчищами Хаоса и не имея ещё смертоносных чар, Заклинатели Конклава отгораживались от врагов, выстраивая целые стены из сверкающих множеством отполированных граней гигантских самоцветов. Гармония, заключённая в математически правильной структуре кристалла, была призвана преградить путь тварям Преисподней... Однако это не помогло. И тогда маги обратили защиту в оружие.

В настоящее время создание волшебного кристалла не представляет никакой тайны и для волшебников остальных смертных рас. Он создаётся для того, чтобы прикрыть бреши в обороне, изменив рельеф местности. А если врагу удастся серьёзно повредить это творение магических сил - кристалл взорвётся, изранив всех вокруг похожими на блиллиантовые клинки острыми осколками.#

Conjuring a magic crystal is one of the oldest battle spells in Eador. They were first created by wizards from the mysterious race of Ancients. Facing the hordes of Chaos for the first time and running low on offensive spell, the mages of the Conclave attempted to wall themselves off from their enemies, creating entire glittering walls of enormous crystals. The order present in the mathematically perfect structure of these crystal barriers was designed to repel the spawns of hell... but it didn’t work. That’s when the mages repurposed the structures into defensive weapons.

In this day and age the secret of creating magic crystals is known to many wizards from different races of Eador. The crystals are used to fill gaps in defense lines or shape the battlefield to the caster’s advantage. Even when the enemy is able to seriously damage the crystal, it bursts and cuts them down with razor-sharp splinters.

Are these good? I mean, I think they are but I'd still want someone to have a look at them, neither of these is my first language, in the translated text I might have screwed up punctuation or articles or write an awkward sentence but I think it's mostly good, I'm more worried I misunderstood something from Russian. I have 3 more started, I could probably do them all.

Also what does
Привычные брать числом, а не уменьем
in the Ratman description mean? My general idea would be something like "their strength is in their numbers, not in their skill" or "they're used to rely on their superior numbers (in a fight)".

bavarian kid

Educated
Are these good? I mean, I think they are but I'd still want someone to have a look at them..

Also what does in the Ratman description mean? My general idea would be something like ...
You may wish to repost your translation in the eador.com forum, thread Translating 16.0901 release. You will get almost immedeate feedback from native speakers e.g. Kettariene.

I have 3 more started, I could probably do them all.
Perfect. Please do :). Pretty sure this will speed up the 2.70b patch.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Alight, I'll move with translations there, I'll just need to find my password, haven't logged in there in a while.

Boon947

Literate
Hello Dr Skeleton,

Consider yourself an official NH co-translator! ;-)

To tell you the truth, I can't even decipher Cyrillic :)
I just cobble together the pieces from Google Translate (and other resources).

I really like your translations. I've made small changes to your Giant Rat translation, because I try to stay close to the literal translation. If you feel some of my changes are lame, hit me back, and we'll work something out. (I do enjoy discussing translations.)

Boosted to the size of large dogs under the influence of Death Crystals, giant rats are very different from regular rats, and not just in size. Above the ever-sniffing snout of these brazen and audacious creatures, two eyes peer into you with an intelligence no regular animal possesses. Their most noticeable feature are their teeth - the sharp incisors and canines of a predator, as these rats are even more voracious than their smaller cousins. However, there is no food they refuse, and they often eat such filth that the bite of a giant rat is almost guaranteed to cause blood poisoning. Ratmen breed giant rats for many purposes - as beasts of burden, as guard dogs, as pets, and occasionally for food. And of course, they are also used in battle. Faced with an endless horde of rats pouring from underground burrows, all hope is lost, for they leave nothing, not even bones, in their wake.

I'll use your other translations verbatim to save time, and have v2.70b ready ASAP.

I fixed the issue you reported with Attack Range vs Ranged Attack.
Note that ability.txt still contains a mention of Ranged Attack, but that's a bug in the original text.

Regards.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Cool:positive:

I can read Cyrillic, I just don't know a lot of words. I use Google Translate as a base for my translation too, I edit it to proper English and try to make sense of the original when I don't understand something or when I think machine translation distorted the meaning.

As for the Giant Rat - I don't like "boosted", doesn't sound like a word I'd want to use in a fantasy setting and IMO a boost is something temporary that can go away, the Giant Rats are permanently mutated to their size, I assume. "However" in "However, there is no food they refuse" is probably unnecessary because this sentence doesn't contradict the previous one in any way. Other than that I'm fine with the changes, I steer from the original a little when I can't make the translation sound good without it.

I'll try posting a few more later today, but Battle Brothers updated and yeah... well see.

Boon947

Literate
As for the Giant Rat - I don't like "boosted", doesn't sound like a word I'd want to use in a fantasy setting and IMO a boost is something temporary that can go away, the Giant Rats are permanently mutated to their size, I assume. "However" in "However, there is no food they refuse" is probably unnecessary because this sentence doesn't contradict the previous one in any way. Other than that I'm fine with the changes, I steer from the original a little when I can't make the translation sound good without it.

I'll try posting a few more later today, but Battle Brothers updated and yeah... well see.
Instead of "boosted", which do you prefer: enlarged, extended, dilated, broadened, lengthened, widened, stretched, aggrandized, amplified, augmented, made bigger, made larger, something else?

The contradiction between the two sentences is that the previous sentence states that they cannot resist meat. But they will also eat any crap they find. Do you think it's best to just drop the "However" and move on?

There's no rush whatsoever, I planned to take 4-6 *weeks* for the new release :)

Regards.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
I like "grown" personally but enlarged, made bigger or made larger sound good too, you'd probably need to change the "to the size of large dogs" part with any of these 3 though. I think that "however" is not needed and we don't lose anything by dropping it.

Goblins born with a talent for magic in most cases develop it to control swamp fauna. Some die torn to shreds by monsters when their control slips at the wrong time but if their talent is strong enough, the little green runt lives to become a serious threat to anyone who crosses them.
Beast Masters, as they call themselves, are difficult opponents to face on their own, having many ways to weaken their enemies, and let’s not forget they usually bring their pets along...

The rumors about Ratmen spreading the plague are absolutely true, even if few know the details of how it’s accomplished. Very often it involves the giant rats they’re known to breed. Ratmen responsible for keeping and employing the rats for this purpose usually carry whips instead of swords into battle and proudly call themselves "plague warriors". At the command from their trainers, giant rats descend on the enemy, sowing chaos in their ranks, exhausting and bleeding them out before the main Ratmen force attacks.
If the enemy by some miracle survives the onslaught of giant rats, they will be unpleasantly surprised when they realize that plague warriors can handle themselves rather well in a fight. Well for a Ratman, that is, but they should not be underestimated.

Despite their huge numbers, common ratmen are neither skilled at nor eager for battle. They should, however, not be underestimated as only the largest and strongest of their kind become warriors, they can also move through any terrain with ease unlike any other race, quickly outmaneuvering and surrounding their unexpecting enemies before they loose giant rats on them.
Interestingly, the main advantage Ratmen have over their enemies is not even in the fighting itself. It’s an old truth that in war supplies are more important than swords, and no one is more self-sufficient than Ratmen, maybe except the undead. Mobile, omnivorous and immune to all diseases, Ratmen can feast on fallen warriors and regain strength right on the battlefield, as many human and dwarf armies found to their horror.
I don't really like that first sentence in the Ratman's description.

Old One

Arcane
Instead of "boosted", which do you prefer: enlarged, extended, dilated, broadened, lengthened, widened, stretched, aggrandized, amplified, augmented, made bigger, made larger, something else?
I'd probably go with augmented or enlarged, but when I read Dr Skeleton's translation the first word that came to mind was "bred." That has a slightly different meaning however, since it implies the influence of Death Crystals over several generations.

Boon947

Literate
Google actually suggests "made inordinately big/large", which is why I thought "boosted" made sense (i.e. some kind of unnatural process).
In the end, I reinstated DS's original verb (grown).

DS, I think you misunderstood the Beast Master's first sentence. AFAIU, it translates to:
"When goblins develop the rudiments of magic power, they are almost always sent out to regulate swamp fauna."
(In other words, someone decides this for them.)

As for the Ratman's first sentence, I used:
"As they rely on numbers, rather than skill, ordinary Skreet soldiers are neither very adept nor very resilient."

Regards.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
DS, I think you misunderstood the Beast Master's first sentence. AFAIU, it translates to:
"When goblins develop the rudiments of magic power, they are almost always sent out to regulate swamp fauna."
(In other words, someone decides this for them.)
I could be wrong, but as I read it "направляются" refers back to the subject itself/themselves (ся) doing the thing, something like "verb + I/myself/themselves", like if you had a one word verb "wash-himself" instead of saying "wash himself" in English. So there's no third party directing the goblin or their magic. Literally word for word the first sentence would be "when in a goblin appears beginning of magic power, almost always they direct(themself) at control swamp fauna". I don't know how else to explain it in English, maybe a native speaker could confirm or deny my interpretation.

As for the Ratman's first sentence, I used:
"As they rely on numbers, rather than skill, ordinary Skreet soldiers are neither very adept nor very resilient."
Sounds good.

Sniffing things out lies in the rat’s nature and Skreets are masters of disguise without equal. Therefore, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that the best spies and assassins in Eador come from this race. Human assassins are slow, clumsy and draw a lot of attention when compared to Shadow Claws, as these Ratmen call themselves. Each of them is a master of combat with many impressive moves and techniques that compensate for their lack of raw strength. Their greatest pride are their weapons - shadow swords, special blades forged with tiny pieces of Death Crystals and imbued with a virulent poison. A hit from such a weapon immediately turns steel to rust, and even a tiny cut can be fatal. Rumor has it that the idea for these weapons and Shadow Claws’ fighting style was “borrowed” by the resourceful Ratmen from their subterranean neighbours - Alvars, which would explain the similar sounding names.

For many years the Skreet armies lacked ranged troops, they were simply not needed in underground tunnels. It was only when they started waging wars on the surface that they realized it was a problem. While the fear of disease gave pause enemies trying to advance against the Ratmen, what were they to do if they wanted to gain ground? Eventually, they came up with delivering the poison with slingshots. To this end, special shells filled with toxins were created. Over time, Plaque Shooters became a mainstay of the Ratmen armies. Anyone hit with their projectiles will suffer from nausea. Ratmen also drink from these canisters filled with Lord-of-the-Light-only-knows-what as it’s a potent combat drug for them, even though it’s not without side effects. While it might seem impossible that anyone beside Ratmen would even think about drinking the putrid brew, there are stories about human rulers buying it to torture prisoners.

The ultimate goal all Plague Masters aspire to is getting recognized by their kin as a Grey Overlord - the head of a tribe or a settlement, his reign blessed by the Great Rat. Unusually large among Ratmen, their enchanted blade and a helmet-mask crowned with a pair of long curved horns is the last thing seen by the few unlucky adventurers who glimpse a Grey Overlord moments before they’re devoured by hordes of giant rats appearing out of nowhere.
Their past experience as Plague Masters allows them to crush their enemies under an avalanche of rats carrying a deadly disease. The Grey Overlord himself is also extremely dangerous - their blades are soaked in deadly poison that not even an experienced warrior can survive.

Ratmen warriors usually rally around strong, experienced and skilled individuals who survived numerous battles. Few ordinary Ratmen live that long but among these veterans are Plague Warriors who eventually become leaders and mentors for the next generation. These Plague Masters never travel alone. Other Ratmen vigilantly guard their safety at all times and will not hesitate to throw themselves in the way of enemy swords or axes should they threaten a Master Plague.
Masters can infect their enemies by directing hordes of giant rats carrying horrible diseases. The more powerful a Master becomes, the more sophisticated ways to kill he employs, eventually being able to send plagues down on enemy settlements, ending dozens or even hundreds of lives.
This was probably the hardest one. "не одно" in the first sentence literally means "not one" but as I see it, it's usually not used literally but rather as an opaque way of saying "many, much more than just one". In the last sentence, "dozens or even hundreds" might not be accurate but I don't know how else to interpret it, to me "десятки и сотни" literally means "tens and hundreds".

One more thing: the Holy Army ritual needs "the" before "province becomes neutral Holy Lands" because it refers to the province that was attacked by the Holy Army in the previous sentence.

Last edited:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Literally word for word the first sentence would be "when in a goblin appears beginning of magic power, almost always they direct(themself) at control swamp fauna"
When magic power begins to manifest in a goblin, he almost always focuses on the control of swamp fauna.

That's my 2 cents.
Sounds good too. My version may be changed a little from the original (not in any important way IMO, the information is there, it's just written slightly differently) but I don't think there's anyone else directing the goblin. My Russian is really shoddy though.

Old One

Arcane
I made a "names.var" file for my own personal use. I'm posting it in case anyone want to give it a try. I have no idea how it will work in Russian or any other language besides English. I'm providing it as-is with no support. Installing should be a simple copy-paste job. Look at your vanilla names.var and you should have no trouble figuring it out.

It does three things:

1) Increases the number of hero names to 40 per class, making it much less likely to see one of your heroes encounter an enemy hero with the same name.

2) Makes hero names appear in ALL-CAPS. I did this so I could easily pick out the names of heroes in the encounter text, which I no longer read after having done so 1000 times.

3) Gives the hero names some class-based flavor. Commanders now all have titles (King, Lord, Archon, Strategos). Scouts have names after animals, birds, and trees, primarily. Warriors have warrior names, and Wizards have exotic or magic names. Generally speaking you can tell a hero's class by his name now.

I don't want or need any credit, so go ahead and translate or modify to your heart's content. Enjoy.

Code:
Quantity: 40

warrior
/1
Name: ARAX;
/2
Name: BRANNOR;
/3
Name: TYR;
/4
Name: DEATHSCAR;
/5
Name: ECHTHELON;
/6
Name: FIST;
/7
Name: GORN;
/8
Name: HATESCAR;
/9
Name: IRONHEAD;
/10
Name: JORMUNDGAR;
/11
Name: KORD;
/12
Name: LOMAK;
/13
Name: MORZJAN;
/14
Name: REAVER;
/15
Name: OZHAR;
/16
Name: PRYDAX;
/17
Name: QUORM;
/18
Name: RHODAN;
/19
Name: STEEL EARS;
/20
Name: TORN;
/21
Name: ULF;
/22
Name: VORPAL;
/23
Name: WARHOUN;
/24
Name: XERAX;
/25
Name: YZARIAN;
/26
Name: ZORD;
/27
Name: HAX;
/28
Name: BLOODFIST;
/29
Name: KRULM;
/30
Name: BRONZE;
/31
Name: ANVIL;
/32
Name: BLACKSPEAR;
/33
Name: ASTERS;
/34
Name: RALCOR;
/35
Name: TOWERHEART;
/36
Name: DARKSWORD;
/37
Name: RIFE;
/38
Name: ANGAR;
/39
Name: DUR;
/40
Name: SLICE;

scout
/1
Name: ASH;
/2
Name: BEAR;
/3
Name: STRIDER;
/4
Name: GREYMANE;
/5
Name: EAGLE;
/6
Name: FALCON;
/7
Name: HAWK;
/8
Name: HORN;
/9
Name: ICE;
/10
Name: JAGUAR;
/11
Name: KHYBER;
/12
Name: LION;
/13
Name: MARTEN;
/14
Name: SPIKE;
/15
Name: IBEX;
/16
Name: SWAN;
/17
Name: SALAMANDER;
/18
Name: BADGER;
/19
Name: SPARROW;
/20
Name: SHRIKE;
/21
Name: OWL EYES;
/22
Name: SNAKE;
/23
Name: WOLF;
/24
Name: FOUR OAKS;
/25
Name: DEEPGLADE;
/26
Name: ZEPHYR;
/27
Name: LYNX;
/28
Name: LAKE;
/29
Name: BLADE;
/30
Name: FOX;
/31
Name: RAIN;
/32
Name: PUMA;
/33
Name: ARCHER;
/34
Name: JACKAL;
/35
Name: RED LEAF;
/36
Name: STARSEEKER;
/37
Name: SLEEK;
/38
Name: SMOKE;
/39
Name: BUCK;
/40
Name: CEDARIS;

commander
/1
Name: LORD AVEX;
/2
Name: LORD BROON;
/3
Name: LORD CHARDAN;
/4
Name: BARON DIOR;
/5
Name: LORD ENTHARIC;
/6
Name: DUKE FRUN;
/7
Name: LORD GALLON;
/8
Name: LORD HART;
/9
Name: LORD IXION;
/10
Name: DUKE JORDAN;
/11
Name: BARON KYDRO;
/12
Name: DUKE LYSANDER;
/13
Name: KING MARLON;
/14
Name: CONSUL NORDAN;
/15
Name: LORD OSSIAN;
/16
Name: ARCHDUKE VIRIS;
/17
Name: PRINCE CRU;
/18
Name: LORD RHULE;
/19
Name: BARON STONE;
/20
Name: LORD TENCAINE;
/21
Name: LORD UMBERALE;
/22
Name: PRINCE VAS;
/23
Name: LORD SPARTAX;
/24
Name: LORD XAVIEN;
/25
Name: LORD DURANDAL;
/26
Name: LORD ZUUL;
/27
Name: LORD FLAME;
/28
Name: LORD THROSS;
/29
Name: LORD ANAXIS;
/30
Name: LORD HAMMER;
/31
Name: KING ARN;
/32
Name: COUNT VEEREN;
/33
Name: ARCHON LIR;
/34
Name: ARCHON MENCOR;
/35
Name: MARSHAL KIRIS;
/36
Name: ARCHDUKE OBRECH;
/37
Name: STRATEGOS IX;
/38
Name: IMPERATOR DAVO;
/39
Name: PRINCE VAALON;
/40
Name: CONSUL MARQUAN;

wizard
/1
Name: ASTERION;
/2
Name: BEN-ETTOL;
/3
Name: CIPHERIX;
/4
Name: DIAN-DORIAN;
/5
Name: EZIR IZALD;
/6
Name: FREMELOS IGO;
/7
Name: GENIMEDIAND;
/8
Name: HELION;
/9
Name: IRIDIAN;
/10
Name: KER-GON JAS;
/11
Name: KI EROL ERON;
/12
Name: LUXARIZHAN;
/13
Name: MERN;
/14
Name: NIM ROSS OLNO;
/15
Name: OSTENT LIR;
/16
Name: PENTRACH;
/17
Name: INZENDION;
/18
Name: RUNE HAND;
/19
Name: SURAYNIUS;
/20
Name: TWISTED STAFF;
/21
Name: ULUSTRAYUS;
/22
Name: VIRIDIAN;
/23
Name: FROST CLOAK;
/24
Name: XIOX-INTRI;
/25
Name: STORMCALLER;
/26
Name: ZHUJAU;
/27
Name: MELINCANTRIOS;
/28
Name: WOLF EYE;
/29
Name: PROSPERO;
/30
Name: TOME SEEKER;
/31
Name: X;
/32
Name: OLD MAN;
/33
Name: RUALCAR;
/34
Name: EINERON;
/35
Name: MAD GORDAL;
/36
Name: LONG ROBE;
/37
Name: SPELLFINGER;
/38
Name: ENIGMAR;
/39
Name: DARKSPEAKER;
/40
Name: LYTHOS-GOTH;

Boon947

Literate
DS, I found one small mistranslation in "Если же кому-то из врагов удаётся добраться до стрелка" to "Anyone hit with their projectiles will suffer from nausea" (Plague Shooter). It actually means "If an enemy manages to reach the shooter", in other words "if someone is able to engage them in melee"... [then the Plague Shooter drinks some other gross potion]

If you've still got some translation mojo, there remain 15 sentences from the (rewritten) Ratman lore:
http://eador.com/B2/viewtopic.php?p=288033#288033
(The first two sentences were not rewritten, but I find the existing translation slightly awkward.)

Regards.

Old One

Arcane
If you've still got some translation mojo...

"Imagine the surprise of the attendance..."

I think you mean, "Imagine the surprise of the attendees..."

Attendance is a noun which means the act of attending. It's a concept or an action, not a living thing, so it can't be surprised. Attendees are the people who attend something. I can see how that would be easy to misunderstand.

For example, "Your attendance is requested at the wedding," compared to, "I was one of the attendees of the wedding."

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
DS, I found one small mistranslation in "Если же кому-то из врагов удаётся добраться до стрелка" to "Anyone hit with their projectiles will suffer from nausea" (Plague Shooter). It actually means "If an enemy manages to reach the shooter", in other words "if someone is able to engage them in melee"... [then the Plague Shooter drinks some other gross potion]
My bad, I must have lost a part of the sentence when editing and borrow from the next or something because what I wrote doesn't exist there, good catch :)

If you've still got some translation mojo, there remain 15 sentences from the (rewritten) Ratman lore:
http://eador.com/B2/viewtopic.php?p=288033#288033
(The first two sentences were not rewritten, but I find the existing translation slightly awkward.)

Regards.
I'll have a look.

Boon947

Literate
One of my translations is coming under fire :)
There's a new Spell "Погибель нечестивых" which I translated "Wicked's Bane".
(It gives several bonuses against Undead and Demon units.)
People have suggested "Bane of the Wicked" to remove ambiguity in the first phrasing.
What do you think? First, second, or different translation altogether?
Regards.

Black_Willow

Arcane
"Bane of the Wicked" sounds much better, although I would spell it simply "Bane of the wicked".
"Wicked's bane" sounds as if it was about the witch from the musical "Wicked".

Old One

Arcane
There's nothing technically wrong with "Wicked's Bane," but it is an unusual wording. It sort of sounds like Wicked is a person, and the spell is his bane. It also made me think of people from Boston, because in Boston slang everything is "wicked cool" or "wicked awesome."

"Bane of the Wicked" is unambiguously correct, and it sounds a lot more like a spell name.

Boon947

Literate
By popular demand, I have changed the wording :)
Release 2.70b is almost ready, only the Ratman lore is missing.
I might have some time to work on it this week.
I'll also generate the filterable HTML tables, like these:
http://eador.online.fr/en/

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Fixed Plague Shooter. Also made some changes to the sentence(s) about the Ratman drinking their potion because now that I read into it, it looks like they use different ones for attack and for drinking, it wasn't clear in the last version. It uses the same ammo in game but oh well :M
For many years the armies of Ratmen lacked ranged troops, they were simply not needed in underground tunnels. It was only when they started waging wars on the surface that they realized it was a problem. While the fear of disease gave pause enemies trying to advance against the Ratmen, what were they to do if they wanted to gain ground? Eventually, they came up with delivering the poison with slingshots. To this end, special shells filled with toxins were created. Over time, Plaque Shooters became a mainstay of the Ratmen armies. Anyone who manages to engage them in melee should bear in mind that they also have another nauseating brew filled with Lord-of-the-Light-only-knows-what. This one they drink, as for them it's a potent combat drug that increases fighting capabilities, even though it’s not without side effects. While it might seem impossible that anyone beside Ratmen would even think about drinking the putrid potion, there are stories about human rulers buying it to torture prisoners.

I started some work on the Ratmen lore but I don't know when it's going to be finished, could be tomorrow, could be next week.

Boon947

Literate
For many years the armies of Ratmen lacked ranged troops, they were simply not needed in underground tunnels. It was only when they started waging wars on the surface that they realized it was a problem. While the fear of disease gave pause enemies trying to advance against the Ratmen, what were they to do if they wanted to gain ground? Eventually, they came up with delivering the poison with slingshots. To this end, special shells filled with toxins were created. Over time, Plaque Shooters became a mainstay of the Ratmen armies. Anyone who manages to engage them in melee should bear in mind that they also have another nauseating brew filled with Lord-of-the-Light-only-knows-what. This one they drink, as for them it's a potent combat drug that increases fighting capabilities, even though it’s not without side effects. While it might seem impossible that anyone beside Ratmen would even think about drinking the putrid potion, there are stories about human rulers buying it to torture prisoners.
See below for the current translation (mostly based on your first version).
It's still time to change some for 2.70b, if you feel strongly about them.
I was told that the devs are working on a patch fixing a few crashes.

Долгое время армии народа скрыттов были лишены стрелков.
For many years, Skreet armies lacked ranged troops.

Да и зачем бы они понадобились в подземных тоннелях?
What was the point in underground tunnels?

Однако с тех пор, как крысолюды начали вести войны и на поверхности, это превратилось в серьёзную проблему.
It was only when they started waging war on the surface that they realized it was a problem.

Да, страх заразы достаточно успешно сдерживал атакующие силы противника, но как быть, если наступать придётся самим скрыттам?
While the fear of disease successfully detered incoming enemy forces, what were the Skreets to do if they needed to gain ground?

И вот однажды был изобретён способ доставки отравы при помощи выстрела из пращи.
Eventually, they found a way to lace sling ammo with poison.

Для этого используются специальные снаряды-сосуды, куда заливается вредоносная жидкость.
To this end, special shells filled with toxins were created.

Теперь болезнетворные выстрелы стали коронным приёмом крысолюдов.
Today, poison shots are the Ratmen's crowning achievement.

Если же кому-то из врагов удаётся добраться до стрелка, в ход пускается иная жидкость - тошнотворное, но весьма эффективное скрыттское пойло, которое готовится из одному Светлому Владыке известных компонентов и здорово повышает боевые характеристики подопытных (хоть и не без побочных эффектов).
Should an enemy manage to reach a Plague Shooter, the latter might then guzzle another liquid, a nauseating but very effective Ratman brew, made from Lord-of-Light-knows-what, greatly increasing the willing victim's fighting prowess, despite strong side effects.

Естественно, и речи не может быть о том, чтобы кто-то, помимо крысолюдов, согласился его выпить.
It might seem impossible that anyone beside Ratmen would even think about drinking the putrid brew.

Впрочем, истории известны примеры, когда крысолюдское варево покупали человеческие лорды - пытать узников.
However, there are stories of human rulers buying it to torture prisoners.

Regards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom