Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Eight Mundane Things That Are Better Than Dungeon Siege III

deuxhero

Arcane
GameFAQs top 10 games is factored on hits to that game's area. Given it's gameFAQs, there is a reason all of them are guide heavy type games.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Crooked Bee said:
Hey, a Dungeon Siege 3 thread! Just poppin' in to say I enjoyed the game. Oh, and I hate those complaining about the camera. Cheers.

Ha, a voice of reason. I enjoyed it too Bee and the controls and camera were fine (with a controller). No masterpiece by any stretch, even within it's genre, but fun enough nonetheless.

Completely subjective viewpoint of course.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Konjad said:
what? don't make an action game out of my rpgs. I enjoy DA series as RPGs and i dont want them to be turned to obsidian's turd.

I laughed.

Cynic

Arcane
Game was good, not great. Have to admit, my gf and I had a blast playing it together. Combat mechanics were excellent, but it was just unambitious. There is potential for a better game there, but Obsidian just couldn't finish strong. This article or whatever the fuck it is meant to be is total bullshit. If you don't like arcade style games with a bit of rpging thrown in, then it's definitely not for you. But there was a glimmer of a good game in there, and I think it's definitely better than a lot of other crap around, DA2 included.

circ

Arcane
Cynic said:
Combat mechanics were excellent, but it was just unambitious.
lol WUT? Dodge spam, throw in a special, some of which are so badly balanced it makes press X to win look challenging. Ranged combat completely broken, something admitted by devs even, no hit feedback from mobs. EXCELLENT? THIS IS EXCELLENT IN YOUR OPINION WHAT THE FUCK? Add to that a fucked up camera that zooms up someones ass when you're too close to a wall and that goes all the way to FUCK EXTREME when you co-op.

Cynic said:
DA2 included.
I'd rather re-install DA2 and dick around with a retarded nude mod than think of DS3 again. Fuck that shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Alexandros said:
I liked Obsidian better when they were trying to add something different to already established formulas, even with the bugs and all.
Aren't all Obsidian games sequels?

If DS3 is indicative of the company's new philosophy, I'm out.

But it was the game that tried to do something differently! Just like SoZ.

At least it took a crown away from SoZ for a shittiest Obsidian's game ever.

Shannow

Waster of Time
MetalCraze said:
If DS3 is indicative of the company's new philosophy, I'm out.

But it was the game that tried to do something differently! Just like SoZ.

Only SoZ really did try to do something differently/new; was an ok game in its own right; and the concept in another engine, with far more polishing and tweaking would have been fucking awesome.
DS3 didn't try anything new. It is shit without any (relevant) redeeming qualities and doesn't show any signs of potential. Even if everything that was fucked up about it had been done well instead it still wouldn't have risen above shitty aRPG/Diablo-clone number 10000.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Try as I might, I can't defend it. I mean, yeah, it's fun in short bursts...the amount of gold drops and items reward can be a good motivator to continue, but it's lacking variety in gameplay. People say Diablo 2 gave 2-3 skills to spam for each build, but that doesn't excuse a grand total of 9 skills per character.

Sigh....It's not even worth $40 to get this game. You'd better off buying Marvel Ultimate Alliance at $20 to have proper co-op.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
MetalCraze said:
NWN2 OC remains their shittiest game as far as I'm concerned. The quality of an amateur mod with some of the most excruciating content ever. I haven't finished yet, but so far DS3 is the most fun I've had with an Obsidian game (which isn't saying much considering TSL, NWN2, AP, and NV all had various degrees of lousy combat systems and content). Post-patch it plays fine with a mouse and keyboard too. The biggest flaws are the camera (meh, Devil May Cry 3 had some really bad camera angles too and that's one of my favorites), the idiotic bad Diablo-clone-style level-and-loot pacing, a character system that's too guided with too few abilities, and the lack of collision sound effects. As a dumb, simple, linear action-arcade brawler it's far from the worst I've ever played. I used to be an aficionado for these things when I was younger for who knows what reason.

Jaesun said:
A number of Publisher required content/game play was what went wrong with DS III.
Such as? I know the bad camera was all Obsidian's idea, and I doubt Square Enix told them to specifically add useless upgrades like "get a discount from the store" or "find more money." Unless you're saying it's bad because it's an action game, and I disagree, for an action game it's okay and has better reflex-driven combat and enemy variety than Alpha Protocol and New Vegas.

Cynic

Arcane
circ said:
Cynic said:
Combat mechanics were excellent, but it was just unambitious.
lol WUT? Dodge spam, throw in a special, some of which are so badly balanced it makes press X to win look challenging. Ranged combat completely broken, something admitted by devs even, no hit feedback from mobs. EXCELLENT? THIS IS EXCELLENT IN YOUR OPINION WHAT THE FUCK? Add to that a fucked up camera that zooms up someones ass when you're too close to a wall and that goes all the way to FUCK EXTREME when you co-op.

Cynic said:
DA2 included.
I'd rather re-install DA2 and dick around with a retarded nude mod than think of DS3 again. Fuck that shit.

You missed the point of my post, which was that there was potential for something better there, but it wasn't fully realized. Also, this must also be your billionth post raging against the game, for someone who hates it so much you sure do love it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom