Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Eitr - Norse-themed pixel art Dark Souls-inspired hack and slash thingie

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Looks cool.

Though I do not like much that there is a bunch of "soulslike" games appearing.

Oh and also that "action adventure" prefix.

I wouldn't mind if they were actually, you now, "soulslike".
yeah, that's the point, the word seems to be used like a cheap pitch

Are there others?
at least these

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, this actually looks pretty interesting! I really like the slow combat, at least in the vid. And the graphics are just beautiful :desu:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
looks cool, even tho everybody has creepy long legs.

praetor

Arcane
looks interesting, but as mentioned the enemies are shit, creatively. as of now, there's no point to the norse theme. but hey, at least somebody is doing something a bit different with diablo-like arpgs and it already looks better than diablo3

btw, wtf is it with people calling those cartoony 2D side scrollers "Souls like"? that whole Metroidvania (sub)genre existed well before Souls (and most didn't look as if the art director was a toddler)...

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Even though I dislike the sudden influx of "Souls-like" games, whose designers typically don't really understand what makes those games work and just copy things haphazardly, this actually seems decent. Even though it seems counterintuitive, the first Diablo and Dark Souls share a decent amount of design sensibilities - for instance, combat is already slow-paced and deliberate (and punishing of reckless behaviour) in Diablo, so Souls combat mechanics feel right at home.

Frankly, I wish someone did the opposite and created a Souls-clone (in 3d and third person) where you explore a single dungeon, with a glorious gothic art style and atmosphere full of dread. Hopefully level design with more breadth as well.

looks interesting, but as mentioned the enemies are shit, creatively. as of now, there's no point to the norse theme. but hey, at least somebody is doing something a bit different with diablo-like arpgs and it already looks better than diablo3

btw, wtf is it with people calling those cartoony 2D side scrollers "Souls like"? that whole Metroidvania (sub)genre existed well before Souls (and most didn't look as if the art director was a toddler)...

I think they mostly refer to combat design, "punishing" difficulty, no handholding and "sparse" storytelling. Which is a bit amusing, because difficulty in Souls comes mostly from having to replay sections of a level after you die, a design trope taken straight from classic console games.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
well, they now have bonfires and you need to collect your EXP after you die from your corpse/the enemy who killed you

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
It looks allright, gotta lol at the name though. 'Eiter' means pus in german

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
My first impression is that it looks like isometric Sword&Sworcery, but with more fighting and less time spend on random clicking on scenery.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
Gief Jotunn enemies, plzthx. If Loki is trying to fuck over the world again
it's time for a jotunpositive game, or story in general.
first they burn his wife 5 times, kill his son, make his intestines into rope and drip snake venom in his eyes for who knows how many years, yet he is the villain.
fucking aesirscum.

#aesirpropaganda #jotunrights

Murk

Arcane
Seems to be a gamepad game as I saw no mouse.

Is it just dungeon diving? it _looks_ neat but there definitely needs to be more to combat than just "wait for shield to drop and hit with combo".

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Gief Jotunn enemies, plzthx. If Loki is trying to fuck over the world again
it's time for a jotunpositive game, or story in general.
first they burn his wife 5 times, kill his son, make his intestines into rope and drip snake venom in his eyes for who knows how many years, yet he is the villain.
fucking aesirscum.

#aesirpropaganda #jotunrights

Let's not forget poor Loki is a rape victim. the Aesir forced him to let the horse Svaðilfari have its way with loki to stop the builder from making Valhalla within 3 seasons and as such forfeit his payment. To add insult to injury, Odin then steals Loki's son Sleipnir which was the best of all horses.

#diecishetaesir

Either way, the world needs a proper Norse mythology game and not just one that copies a few names and the architecture.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Let's not forget poor Loki is a rape victim. the Aesir forced him to let the horse Svaðilfari have its way with loki to stop the builder from making Valhalla within 3 seasons and as such forfeit his payment. To add insult to injury, Odin then steals Loki's son Sleipnir which was the best of all horses.
Jeez. Thank Gods that Fenrir, wolf son of Loki, will kill Odin during Ragnarok. Serves him right.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
hel, fenrir and jormungand were all children he made with angrbroda, the aforementioned first wife. giant reproduction produces random results like making your character by rolling dice.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
It looks allright, gotta lol at the name though. 'Eiter' means pus in german

yeah, for the german speaking target Group, the Name might be underwhelming :P

agree, this needs more Norse Mythology, less skeletons. There's enough potential with a few classical norse beasts and characters.

Stonewolf

Augur
pixel art

Oh gods why.

Just remake this on a contemporary engine and tweak difficulty, thats the only Souls-like norse game I need.

279318281.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty impressive for six months! I like the way enemies try to surround her and blocking too much causes a long-ass "dizzy" state, should prevent you from going all YOLO and still winning.

And "mad butcher" isn't really an unique concept, pretty much any game with horror elements has one of those.

looks cool, even tho everybody has creepy long legs.

I liked that, looks distinctive. Kind of a cartoony touch to otherwise "realistic" visuals.

Murk

Arcane
It's a decent mid-ground of stylizing pixel art while not going borderline stick figure like Sword and Sworcery.

sword-and-sworcery-ep-review-verdict.jpg

The lighting and effects in the gifs on the first post look very nice. I imagine this game will be very much enjoyed for visuals and atmosphere, I hope they add some gameplay to it other than diablo style kill n loot. And if they do go that route, then make it fun with some interesting enemies.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Looks pretty cool at first glance. Whether it becomes boring would depend on execution. Style is nice but it looks pretty generic for now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom