Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls VI Speculation

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I recall Kirkbride saying that the Aldmeri Dominion is a major player in the end of times and in one interview he says they are actually successful in their goals. Whether or not they go with this now is up for debate.
Man, are you for real? :lol: Of course they aren't going to do Kirkbride's Thalmor, and Kirkbride himself burned that bridge pre-TESO already. It's Bethesda, they're literally incapable of a single interesting thought.

[edit]:
ruTiTlB.png
Seriously? They'll throw meat at every theory. Why leave shit out? It serves no purpose to do so.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, the lore is one of the strongest aspects of the series.
Only in a deep background sense. Hasn't manifested itself well in-game since Morrowind. And with them continually advancing the time line significantly between each game it's not as if the events of the last game are relevant to the next save for some throwaway lines and books/scrolls.

I bet Bethesda will study Witcher 3 and analyze it to death, since it's such a better game than anything they have ever done. They will try to see how they can adopt the lessons of that game into their own franchise. And with typical Bethesdian insight, expect them to adopt the very core of what made Witcher 3 great.

Characters in Elder Scrolls VI will be able to carry 2 2-handed swords at once and there will be sex cards. And dragon shouts will be in Polish. Fus-Roh-Kurwa!

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I recall Kirkbride saying that the Aldmeri Dominion is a major player in the end of times and in one interview he says they are actually successful in their goals. Whether or not they go with this now is up for debate.
Man, are you for real? :lol: Of course they aren't going to do Kirkbride's Thalmor, and Kirkbride himself burned that bridge pre-TESO already. It's Bethesda, they're literally incapable of a single interesting thought.

I'll back up a little, because Kirkbride's Thalmor is actually supported by in game lore and many pieces of dialogue in Skyrim. So I'm not really sure why you think Bethesda won't use it. You said yourself that Bethesda is illeterate and incapable of producing an original thought, which is why they sill use Kirkbride contractually (since 2000).

What I'm trying to say is:
Kirkbride has had a large input in Elder Scrolls, even since his departure in 2000. The White Gold Concordant is a Kirkbride plot line, and his version of the Thalmor (and their plans) has been referenced in game. This post on the official forums by Kirkbride outlines the Thalmor's master plans, which involve ending all life on Nirn:

To kill Man is to reach Heaven, from where we came before the Doom Drum's iniquity. When we accomplish this, we can escape the mockery and long shame of the Material Prison.

To achieve this goal, we must:

1) Erase the Upstart Talos from the mythic. His presence fortifies the Wheel of the Convention, and binds our souls to this plane.

2) Remove Man not just from the world, but from the Pattern of Possibility, so that the very idea of them can be forgotten and thereby never again repeated.

etc etc

This is actually referenced in Skyrim's College of Winterhold Questline by Ancano. And the removal of Talos worship during the time of Skyrim is obvious and a first step to their long term goals. The more you look at it the more it looks like they're going with Kirkbride's plans for the Thalmor step by step.

So really there's nothing that convinces me that they won't go with Kirkbride's ideas for the Thalmor, since most are already confirmed unless they retcon these things in ES VI.

Last edited:

Grizzlor

Novice
I don't think it's unrealistic to assume that VI will focus on the High Elves and the plot will revolve around the Thalmor (maybe trying to gain control of the Numidium- again!). They teased it so much in Skyrim and never actually gave that plot thread a proper close. For this reason I think it will take place in Sommerset Isles (but really any other province could work). Akavir is too much work for Bethesda, since they'd need to actually flush it out with lore and whatnot. It would be cool if they gave us the choice of working with or working against the Thalmor, but knowing Bethesda the main quest will probably be extremely linear with very little option for deviation. In C0DA, iirc the Thalmor were partially responsible for the events that ended life on Nirn, forcing the inhabitants to move to Mundus. I recall Kirkbride saying that the Aldmeri Dominion is a major player in the end of times and in one interview he says they are actually successful in their goals. Whether or not they go with this now is up for debate.
I'm hoping for an "Raiders of the Lost Numidium" type of plot set in Hammerfell where nazis.. I mean the Thalmor are gathering the lost pieces of Numidium to reassemble it to unbind the dragon.

Zenith

Arbiter
So really there's nothing that convinces me that they won't go with Kirkbride's ideas for the Thalmor, since most are already confirmed unless they retcon these things in ES VI.
Gotta be honest, only responding because you posted twice in response to my mostly throwaway comment. At this point I don't feel well-equipped to have a TES lore argument anyway, haven't played the series since Skyrim release and unsubbed from lore forums after TESO launch.

Anyway, the point was mostly that they aren't going to do Kirkbride's Thalmor, which is to say they'll still probably continue the "meta" plot of barriers weakening and doomsday devices in every province, for which they probably had a general vector even before Morrowind. But it's going to be neutered as usual, e.g. a bland fantasy elf province But It Has An Extremist Sect. The key to MK is that he's really writing sci-fi, not fantasy - and that's the exact opposite of Bethesda's MO.

[edit] I'm aware of his post-MW contributions, of course, but you'll notice that the quote I posted is 2012, i.e. post-Skyrim, so that might give us a hint of a schism between his and Beth's view on the matter.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Bethesda will do Hammerfell next because they can easily recycle so many themes.

Stormcucks vs Empire -> Crowns vs Forbears

Dragonborn -> HoonDing

Fallout 4 survival crap -> Alik'r desert

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Where's a nerd supposed to go to learn about this lore in the least-autistic manner possible?

Asking for a friend.

Alkarl

Learned
The game will most likely take place in either Hammerfell or Argonia. They will be using the Fallout 4 engine most likely, so anywhere that encourages base-building.

Also, expect the game to take place either after Dragonborn is dead or has moved to Akavir.

There will be dragons.

There wont be dragons.

There will be an option to marry a lizard or a cat.

All npcs will be essential.

Expect voiced dialogue and a bioware-esque convo system.

Expect less skills and less rpg elements.

Personally, my money is on Black Marsh/Argonia.

Course, they could totally fool us all and put it in Elswyr or Akavir. The Elder Scrolls 6: Skyrim 2: Fallout 4.5: Furry Edition.

This is pure speculation of course.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
So we'll ignore the Greenheart project?

I don't think it's out of the question. I stated that they could expand on the Thalmor threat in any province in any way they please.

Gotta be honest, only responding because you posted twice in response to my mostly throwaway comment. At this point I don't feel well-equipped to have a TES lore argument anyway, haven't played the series since Skyrim release and unsubbed from lore forums after TESO launch.

Anyway, the point was mostly that they aren't going to do Kirkbride's Thalmor, which is to say they'll still probably continue the "meta" plot of barriers weakening and doomsday devices in every province, for which they probably had a general vector even before Morrowind. But it's going to be neutered as usual, e.g. a bland fantasy elf province But It Has An Extremist Sect. The key to MK is that he's really writing sci-fi, not fantasy - and that's the exact opposite of Bethesda's MO.

[edit] I'm aware of his post-MW contributions, of course, but you'll notice that the quote I posted is 2012, i.e. post-Skyrim, so that might give us a hint of a schism between his and Beth's view on the matter.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think they'll use elements of Kirkbride's Thalmor. Like you said, most likely it will be watered down and shitty, but hey it's Bethesda we're talking about.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So are they actually going to announce anything at E3 or wherever soon or is all this speculation just a premature circlejerk?

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
https://www.c0da.es/t/c0da

WTF is this shit? It's like he wanted to make a Dune-clone but was contractually obligated to use Elder Scrolls terminology.
Salt Merchants, great worms, Sul (Paul's fremen name was U-sul) ....Television-heads from Saga comic, the whole thing is obviously cobbled together from other writers' work with space-elves slapped on top.

I like the idea of Morrowind 40k, but this is fanfic crap (that's getting some cool art at least)

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So are they actually going to announce anything at E3 or wherever soon or is all this speculation just a premature circlejerk?

E3 will be the new space game which supposedly uses procedural generation which will be used then in Elder Scrolls VI, that's the word on the street.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
A new engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom