Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
As long as some publisher/Deep Silver is willing to give them money why rock the boat?

Funnily enough, Deep Silver wasn't willing to give them money anymore, that's why they're at Nordic Games now. Of course they can still stay on the merry-go-round until they run out of publishers, but at some point they'll need to make a major change to the formula.

imweasel

Funnily enough, Deep Silver wasn't willing to give them money anymore, that's why they're at Nordic Games now.
Source or GTFO.

A change in publishers does not necessarily mean that the old publisher (=Deep Silver) was not willing to fund any new projects.

Maschtervoz

Learned
It makes sense though. Risen games, even the actually good first one, got lukewarm at best reception, and I doubt sales were anything phenomenal. As a publisher I wouldn't be too keen to keep investing money in PB in these circumstances.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There isn't a market for super challenging RPGs (short of Dark Souls). People want Skyrim. So when PB tries to emulate that they alienate their old customer base and the Skyrim crowd isn't interested enough. So you have no sales. Risen 3 flopped hard, IIRC.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
super challenging RPGs

Risen 3

I played Risen 3 for the first time at gamescom, with a console controller. It was also the first time I had ever held any sort of console controller in my hands. I kicked ass, everything fell before me. I checked the difficulty in the settings; "Normal".

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I played Risen 3 for the first time at gamescom, with a console controller. It was also the first time I had ever held any sort of console controller in my hands. I kicked ass, everything fell before me. I checked the difficulty in the settings; "Normal".

That's easy to explain: Controllers are superior input devices compared to clunky mouse and keyboard controls.

:troll:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Any difficulty of the Gothic and risen games was down to retarded design decisions and combat, not because the games were these inspired hardcore rpgs

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
20446979736_658986c9ba_o.png

Edit: Risen 2 looks like a slamdunk and it's quite funny cause it's the worst of the bunch.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I was referring to the fact that they USED to make challenging RPGs a la Gothic 1 and 2. Risen 1 was moderately challenging. 2 and 3 were faceroll.

Any difficulty of the Gothic and risen games was down to retarded design decisions and combat, not because the games were these inspired hardcore rpgs
Gothic 1 and 2 combat was fine. If you had issues with it or the controls you might want to have yourself checked for palsy.

Re: sales. Keep in mind both Risen 1 and 2 have been in humble bundles.

DeepOcean

Arcane
There isn't a market for super challenging RPGs (short of Dark Souls). People want Skyrim. So when PB tries to emulate that they alienate their old customer base and the Skyrim crowd isn't interested enough. So you have no sales. Risen 3 flopped hard, IIRC.
To be fair, the last few PB games were so bad that their shitness was enough to alienate anyone.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Edit: Risen 2 looks like a slamdunk and it's quite funny cause it's the worst of the bunch.
Jesus, the principle of "We will fuck you on the next game for that!" worked really well on Risen 3.:lol:

Zeriel

Arcane
Jesus, the principle of "We will fuck you on the next game for that!" worked really well on Risen 3.:lol:

No kidding. I was going to say those sales numbers make no sense whatsoever, that they made the most money on their worst game, but if you take as gospel that the market reacts slowly, it all lines up.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, I'd battle you on that. Risen combat wasn't perfect, but you did have to pay attention, learn timing etc. Major incline compared to ARPG standards.

Unless you're saying the combat was good, I'm not quite sure I understood you.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Risen and Gothic combat were horrible, there was not strategy, there was no complexity, the combat revolved around stun locks and exploits.

It's nowhere near the quality of proper arpg combat systems like demons souls, dark souls or dragons dogma...

Japanese devs still bringing incline after all these years while western devs muck about.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I suspect that Risen 2 sold that much because the first Risen was released when Steam platform hadn't yet reached the size and scale in 2009 that it had in 2012. Fallout 3 probably sold less than FO:NV on Steam for much the same reason, as much as we'd like to believe it's because of the difference in quality.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What's the problem princess? Enjoyed lying down in the soft forest bush and being ass raped by a boar?

The problem is there were no stunlocks in Gothics 1-2 or Risen, aka the games that mattered.

There were also no boars in Gothics 1-2.

Ergo you are fucking stupid.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The problem is there were no stunlocks in Gothics 1-2 or Risen, aka the games that mattered.

There were also no boars in Gothics 1-2.

Ergo you are fucking stupid.
You know what's stupid... Cherry picking what games matter or don't because it fits your narrative.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There are no stunlocks in Gothics 1-2 and Risen. At least two of these are universally acclaimed to be good.

There are stunlocks in Gothic 3 and Risens 2-3. Only one of these is sometimes said not to be shit.

THE WHOLE FUKKEN SERIEZ HAVE STUNLOCKS OMG ITS IMPOSSIBURU TO PLAY DIS!!!!!
ALSO PLZ STOP CHERRYPICKING ITS ONLY OK WHEN I DO IT

Kem0sabe

Arcane
There are no stunlocks in Gothics 1-2 and Risen. At least two of these are universally acclaimed to be good.

There are stunlocks in Gothic 3 and Risens 2-3. Only one of these is sometimes said not to be shit.

THE WHOLE FUKKEN SERIEZ HAVE STUNLOCKS OMG ITS IMPOSSIBURU TO PLAY DIS!!!!!
ALSO PLZ STOP CHERRYPICKING ITS ONLY OK WHEN I DO IT
Half the games in the series have stun locks, the other half despite not having them still have shit combat.

I very much doubt the acclaim that Gothic 1 and 2 have is derived from the combat system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom