Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
ELEX is a handcrafted action role-playing experience from the award-winning creators of the Gothic series, set in a brand new post-apocalyptic Science Fantasy universe that puts players into a huge seamless game world full of original characters, mutated creatures, deep moral choices and powerful action.

Curious omission of their current series there.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
ELEX will have a lot of new elements. The setting is new for Piranha Bytes and for us this means that we also have to design the game properly for this setting. Our big new thing for that is vertical exploration by using a jetpack - just imagine you can now for the first time really reach any point in the game world.

Great priorities. If a jetpack is all they can think about then maybe is time for PB to bite the dust.

Aenra

Immortal
You do this shit often; Your opinion equals NOT fact, you need to comprehend the difference between the two. You need also come to terms with the fact that whatever your software expertise, tech know-how equals NOT game making know-how. Which leads to the former, mind the gap between the train and the platform thoughts you may have and facts as they may be. And you really do this shit often.

On top of the above, you wish to pass as an intelligent person, so consider just how stupid it is comparing Dark Souls (edgy, pew pew, an fps with swords rather than guns, hell, an arcady fps to be exact) with a proper RPG like G1 or 2. No one here gives a fuck about your pew pew mechanics. Not an RPG prerequisite. A welcome addition sure, but not a prerequisite. Even for an action RPG. First RPG, then action. Otherwise we're down to FPS levels of decline.

Kem0sabe am disappoint in you..harder difficulty and steeper a learning factor do not mean shit combat :(

Far as Elex is concerned, entirely uninterested. Mixing fantasy with strong tech elements makes me sour ever since Arcanum..a huge turn off on its own, and while that may be written off as preference, i just cannot see anything worthy coming out of a company that is different in all but the name by now..will torrent when the first unofficial patch comes out. And speaking of which, what's going to happen now, with World of Gothic closing down? Not good.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Great priorities. If a jetpack is all they can think about then maybe is time for PB to bite the dust.
Well ... vertical movement does have tremendous implications on any kind of game with action or exploration elements. I'm not saying ELEX will be good, but this will have a colossal impact on their formula.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Well ... vertical movement does have tremendous implications on any kind of game with action or exploration elements. I'm not saying ELEX will be good, but this will have a colossal impact on their formula.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Their Gothic formula was simple and elegant and it did work for those games.

But their latest formula (Risen) is not working at the moment. Vertical exploration will not replace: a satisfying and coherent story, multi-faction quest design, decent combat mechanics, named mobs and hand placed loot, one good boss fight, non-retaded AI, interesting lore, immersing atmosphere or great world design. Should I go on?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
These lines should apply to every and each single upcoming game.
If you can't guarranty some intel, be honest about it.

I have a feeling PB is in a current stare of disarray. I wouldn't be surprised if they go broke before releasing ELEX.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Their Gothic formula was simple and elegant and it did work for those games. But their latest formula (Risen) is not working at the moment. Vertical exploration will not replace: a satisfying and coherent story, multi-faction quest design, decent combat mechanics, named mobs and hand placed loot, one good boss fight, non-retaded AI, interesting lore, immersing atmosphere or great world design. Should I go on?
You don't have to; of course you're right, and I completely agree that good story structure, C&C, narrative design, or whatever you want to call these types of things are more important than some flashy new environmental element. But what do you want them to say? "Our writing won't be garbage this time"? "The combat will be better instead of worse than previous games this time"? True 3D exploration is a big deal if they do well with it, and it's something they can point to to get excited about.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
You don't have to; of course you're right, and I completely agree that good story structure, C&C, narrative design, or whatever you want to call these types of things are more important than some flashy new environmental element. But what do you want them to say? "Our writing won't be garbage this time"? "The combat will be better instead of worse than previous games this time"? True 3D exploration is a big deal if they do well with it, and it's something they can point to to get excited about.

Fair. I just wish they get their act together.

Caconym

Augur
First Screenshots + Minimum Requirements

MINIMUM:
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 at 2.5 GHz or better or AMD Phenom II x4 940 at 3.0 GHz
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 or AMD Radeon HD 5870, 1 GB VRAM
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 20 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX compatible Sound card
  • Additional Notes: These are preliminary system specs and can change

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hm, screenshots look plasticky and a littlebit dated. I wonder what engine they're using, I hope it's not their ancient homemade shit they've been peddling since Risen 1.

(Even though when it came out Risen 1 was one of the best looking games out there.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom