Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Gothic 3 worse than Risen 2, Risen 3? Joint that good, huh.

Risen 1 might have been an okay game, but still so many steps down from GI/II.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The ONLY way we will EVER get a good old classic Gothic like game from PB is if they go to Kickstarter and do a new Gothic™ game (of which they own the rights to now). But I don't think this is something they want to do, they seem to be doing just fine with working for Publishers.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
To eductae y'all on which was better and why:

GODLIKE:
Gothic

REVELATION:
Gothic II + NOTR

(FLAWED) PROPHECY:
Gothic 3

GREAT ATMOSPHERE, SHIT GAMEPLAY:
Risen 3

GREAT GAMEPLAY, SHIT ATMOSPHERE:
Risen

WORST GAME I EVER PLAYED:
Risen 2

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The ONLY way we will EVER get a good old classic Gothic like game from PB is if they go to Kickstarter and do a new Gothic™ game (of which they own the rights to now). But I don't think this is something they want to do, they seem to be doing just fine with working for Publishers.

I'm not sure if they still are able to make a "classic" game, even with KS. I think that them trying something new, while being hit or miss, has a higher chance to produce something good.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I still think that "Risen" is possible, but better than that... need to see gameplay first.

But still gotta give them some credit. Managing to make some pretty damn engaging game worlds with such a small team (~ 30 ). There's no extra hands there to move papers.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Every piece of art and info about the game screams 'generic as fuck'.

Anyone who thinks this will be even remotely good, after the mess that were the last 2 risen games, is in serious need of a personality adjustment through copious use of recreational drugs.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
What a bunch of whiners. Risen series > Gothic series >>>> Other RPGs.

I'm not sure if all of this has been mentioned here: http://community.elexgame.com/threads/207-All-Confirmed-ELEX-Info

For example
3.Every single chest in the game is handfilled(loot isn't randomly put there)
4.Minimap isn't mandatory( isn't necessary at all cost)
8.Quest system will be like in Gothic series where the recordings will be written on 1st person preview.
9.Almost all NPCs will be killable
10.Everytime you start a new game you will begin in a different side of the map

Doesn't sound too bad.

They said the same thing for the last 3 games and they did not deliver.

Name dropping Gothic again ... is lack of imagination.

Fuck'em.

You mean to tell me that Risen #1 wasn't worth the effort?

I thought it was a pretty good game, on par with Gothic #1.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm not sure if all of this has been mentioned here: http://community.elexgame.com/threads/207-All-Confirmed-ELEX-Info

For example
3.Every single chest in the game is handfilled(loot isn't randomly put there)
4.Minimap isn't mandatory( isn't necessary at all cost)
8.Quest system will be like in Gothic series where the recordings will be written on 1st person preview.
9.Almost all NPCs will be killable
10.Everytime you start a new game you will begin in a different side of the map

Doesn't sound too bad.

They said the same thing for the last 3 games and they did not deliver.

Name dropping Gothic again ... is lack of imagination.

Fuck'em.

You mean to tell me that Risen #1 wasn't worth the effort?

I thought it was a pretty good game, on par with Gothic #1.

Good for whatever it was. Unfortunately, nowhere close to Gothic 1.

* The game is not bad. In fact the first half is good but the second part is simply garbage. Unfinished game or something.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
No random or level-scaled loot and monsters = instant buy from me. I'd like a new gothic in this setting, but even a risen would be welcome.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Each of their games past NOTR have become progressively worse, title by title, feature by feature. Is there any reason left to be hopeful about anything from PB beside the nostalgy of Gothic series?

... still PB's games are better than 99% other rpg's(Elder Scroll, neo Fallout series)

Doktor Best

Arcane
Well he kinda has a point. What good exploration based actionrpgs with faction systems are there really? Why do you think people buy Bethesda games over and over again despite the fact they know its gonna be mediocre at best? Because there is a significant lack of games in that genre. We had more passable isometric party rpgs than those in the last years.

I wont count Dark Souls series because, as good as they are, they provide a completely different gameplay than Gothic/Risen games.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Am I right in thinking that PB lost a lot of the people that were responsible for Gothic? I'm sure someone made a post about it a while back.

Either way, I'm not too hopeful for this one. It sounds interesting, but PB's recent track record isn't good.

Doktor Best

Arcane
One of the founders died of cancer, one left the company. The soundtrack composer is also not involved anymore. What changes they did to the staff i dont know, just talking about the "faces" of the company here.

I miss Rosenkranz the most. If there is one thing that is redeeming Gothic3, then its the absolutely stunning soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgrgPqGoKk4

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
One of the founders died of cancer, one left the company. The soundtrack composer is also not involved anymore. What changes they did to the staff i dont know, just talking about the "faces" of the company here.

I miss Rosenkranz the most. If there is one thing that is redeeming Gothic3, then its the absolutely stunning soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgrgPqGoKk4

Yeah I remember Rosenkranz leaving. Shame, as I enjoyed his soundtracks a lot.

It's so weird, what happened to PB. They introduced some great ideas with Gothic 1 (some of them based on earlier games like Ultimas which they admired, some were their own), and then with Gothic 2 and NotR, they polished and perfected most of them to the point where they created an RPG as close to perfection as any other that has ever been made. After that, all they had to do was to stick with that basic formula (open world, handcrafted map, decent action combat, detailed NPC schedules, involved faction system) and build on that. Instead, I guess because those first two games sold so poorly or something, they started doing completely different, significantly inferior stuff.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Well, reading between the lines PB is obviously trying to make the impression that their previous games were influenced heavily by the publisher and now they want to make a game that's true to their vision. Of course we've heard this same story many times before so better to wait and see.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
tumblr_n2jb3n5Nsw1skh0gdo1_400.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom