Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Ehh, I had no problem playing any of the Gothic games. I didn't have many complaints about Risen either. Risen 2 went more in the direction of action game. I haven't played Risen 3.
That company no longer exists, risen 2 and 3 are what PB makes these days.

Llama-Yak Hybrid

Wild Sheep
Dumbfuck
How is this bait? Every other successful third person "action rpg" is taking souls combat, souls combat is better than anything piranha has ever done so they should just rip off from them
Dark souls combat is shit. Enormously unresponsive with dumb-ass extra-visible enemy animations so you know perfectly when they strike or do anything 5 years before the animation finishes and they actually try to hit you. Fake and gay.
Every actually successful action RPG uses popamole batman combat, which is shit as well.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
How is this bait? Every other successful third person "action rpg" is taking souls combat, souls combat is better than anything piranha has ever done so they should just rip off from them
Dark souls combat is shit. Enormously unresponsive with dumb-ass extra-visible enemy animations so you know perfectly when they strike or do anything 5 years before the animation finishes and they actually try to hit you. Fake and gay.
Every actually successful action RPG uses popamole batman combat, which is shit as well.

And already a dumbfuck.

Llama-Yak Hybrid

Wild Sheep
Dumbfuck
I'm not responsible for grorious administration™ disliking my opinions. At least I have mine instead of being a parrot. :M

sullynathan

Arcane
dumbfuck.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://worldofelex.de/en/site/news-...exclusive-elex-screenshots-from-piranha-bytes

Exclusive ELEX Screenshots and Artworks from Piranha Bytes!
We have received a great gift from Piranhas to mark the opening of our site! This four exclusive screenshots from the latest version of the game are taken in April, and they have been specially made for WOE.com.

In addition, the Piranha sent us four exclusive artworks, some of which depict things already familiar to everyone, but they also contain something new. So check them out below (and after the break!), or in out galleries:

• Screenshot Gallery
  • Artwork Gallery

The following screenshots are from the new build from april 2016. This means that many things can change until the release in 2017 (textures, characters, colours, weather and so on):

phoca_thumb_l_26.jpg

A screenshot from below a gate with a view of Edan.

phoca_thumb_l_28.jpg

A screenshot of a sword fight with a "Reißer"(reaper?)

phoca_thumb_l_27.jpg

A screenshot of ranged combat into the distance. Here you can see how big our world is.

phoca_thumb_l_29.jpg

. A screenshot of the hero with a speargun. Of course there are many ruins in our world...

phoca_thumb_l_16.jpg

An Artwork from 2015 showing the mood infront of a waterfall in Edan

phoca_thumb_l_18.jpg

A mood artwork from 2015 showing the science fantasy setting. Elex will be a game full of opposites. Here you can see the hero meeting a drone

phoca_thumb_l_17.jpg

An artwork from the inside of a alb converter. In the converters Elex is being extracted from living beings and objects.

phoca_thumb_l_19.jpg

An art design of different kinds of weapons: chainsword, mace, speargun

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
Everyone wants to do a full 3d sandbox RPG, but none of these fuckers take the time to build up their team and tech through 2-3 smaller projects leading up to a large open-world game. One of the reasons Blizzard became the behemoth it is today is because their management knew (maybe on an instinctive, animal level) that incline is a fucking pyramid with a bunch of stairs leading to the top, not a horizontal line from point A to B.

Blizzard... Wtf happened to them? They were always the Skinner Box connoisseurs, but damn if those weren't some sweet Skinner Boxes. And now, a failed follow-up to WoW, a graphical re-skin of a 12 year old game packaged as 3 games to milk money, and an Auction House.

Morkar Left

Everyone wants to do a full 3d sandbox RPG, but none of these fuckers take the time to build up their team and tech through 2-3 smaller projects leading up to a large open-world game. One of the reasons Blizzard became the behemoth it is today is because their management knew (maybe on an instinctive, animal level) that incline is a fucking pyramid with a bunch of stairs leading to the top, not a horizontal line from point A to B.

Piranha Bytes is doing 3d "sandbox" RPGs over a decade now. In fact, their first game was actually their most technically advanced game by the time of release. Gothic 3 was still ahead of its time with engine and gfx. In G3 they kind of pioneered "fluent" combat animations with motion capturing before it became industry standard in rpgs and others genres (like Arkham Asylum). After G3 they were lacking budget to keep up with the "big boys" only being able to slowly advance their engine. But the fact that they still have their original handmade engine from G1 as a basis speaks volumes for their competence. Really I think it's mostly lacking a proper budget.
They had one big chance to advance on bethesda/bioware levels of fame in rpgs with G3. But lacking enough budget as well as experience handling a bigger budget/team they failed in the end with G3 being a weaker game than it should have been (a TES killer). They lost the battle out of attrition. Now they are struggling to keep it going.

The new setting sounds cool for providing a fantasy-like game and rejuvenate the sense of wonder and discovery. The jetpack wouldn't have been my choice, but I guess is again for budget reasons (climbing is probably harder to accomplish on a tech level). I hope they can pull it off with good combat, exploration and loot as well as interesting quests which allow thinking outside of the box (like G2 allowed by entering the city, grabbing some loot etc.).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Best 3d action sandbox games are still those made by Rockstar... If them fuckers ever decided to make a proper rpg, it would amazeballs.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Piranha Bytes is doing 3d "sandbox" RPGs over a decade now. In fact, their first game was actually their most technically advanced game by the time of release. Gothic 3 was still ahead of its time with engine and gfx. In G3 they kind of pioneered "fluent" combat animations with motion capturing before it became industry standard in rpgs and others genres (like Arkham Asylum). After G3 they were lacking budget to keep up with the "big boys" only being able to slowly advance their engine. But the fact that they still have their original handmade engine from G1 as a basis speaks volumes for their competence. Really I think it's mostly lacking a proper budget.
They had one big chance to advance on bethesda/bioware levels of fame in rpgs with G3. But lacking enough budget as well as experience handling a bigger budget/team they failed in the end with G3 being a weaker game than it should have been (a TES killer). They lost the battle out of attrition. Now they are struggling to keep it going.

The new setting sounds cool for providing a fantasy-like game and rejuvenate the sense of wonder and discovery. The jetpack wouldn't have been my choice, but I guess is again for budget reasons (climbing is probably harder to accomplish on a tech level). I hope they can pull it off with good combat, exploration and loot as well as interesting quests which allow thinking outside of the box (like G2 allowed by entering the city, grabbing some loot etc.).
Ugh, PB games aren't sandbox you chump. They are open world RPGs. Learn the difference.

:Flash:

Arcane

Also, Bethesda managed to fund Morrowind with investor money and self-publish it.
Piranha Bytes was constantly in trouble with first Phenomedia going bankrupt and then Jowood.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron

I wonder if Sascha Henrichs is still on the team. He's been around for a while and has had a big impact on their titles.

Their lead level designer is a an ex Quake 3 mapper, so that's somewhat promising.

And that Harald guy reminds me of a certain codexer.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i want to believe

actually no i dont want to believe

if i believe i'll end up disappointed

so uh

yeah i'll just continue sitting here

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom