Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Gothic 3 = A botched, disappointing mess and an unfortunate end to a potentially great saga.

Risen = A stellar example of mediocrity, utterly forgettable.

Gothic
3 Forsaken Gods = Insulting. Criminal. Disgusting. Unworthy of the Gothic name. The developers of this monstrosity should be tied to a pole and shot in the groin with arrows.

Elex =

great-white-buffalo_design-8065.png

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
In case of Piranha Bytes bigger means almost certainly shittier. They have to realize that they are a small team and they cannot handle games with CDProjekt or Bethesda scope. Not even Bethesda can handle Bethesda scope and they shit money literally.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Developers told Gamestar journalists that Elex will have the biggest gameworld of all their titles, bigger than Risen 1+3 combined.

They need to really step up their fucking act then. If it's that big and with overall quality and design principles along the lines of Risen 2 and 3... dear lord...

Well, last time PB went really big, Gothic 3... So expect ELEX to load 20 minutes per area, and to get stunlocked by a flying gnat.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Excerpt Translation:
Moreover promises Piranha Bytes unchecked flow of play: Despite the huge world there will be no load times. Neither between zones, even when entering buildings or dungeons will appear a loading bar.

Seeing as the last time they attempted this was a decade ago, with JoWood forcing G3 out the door before it was done, let's hope they manage to optimise it properly.

Deleted Member 16721

I'm excited about this game. I have a feeling it's going to be good, and it's going to help them spread some of their unique RPG ideas as well, since this will likely be a bigger hit for them than Risen (hopefully).

I really hope they revisit some of their classic Gothic 1 & 2 ideas here in a big way. Can't wait to check it out. :)

Noxius

Barely Literate
TBF risen has always been an honest game to me,play from beginning to end and leave it there.
Also needs more companions like Bones

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
G3 was a disaster because it was PB's first attempt at writing their own engine from scratch. I can understand that. Risen and sequels were technically a lot sounder, but the memory limitations of the old consoles retarded the world design noticeably, especially 2+3.

Now they got more hardware power/memory from the get go plus a very robust engine/tools to build a game upon, also a new(ish) publisher that is more developer-friendly than retarded Deep Silver and a chance to make a new IP. For all intents and purposes, this should be a good opportunity now for PB to flex it's muscles and prove that they aren't a bunch of half-hearted hacks. The ball's now in PB's court.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
German interview:

Nothing new, mainly confirming the "biggest" PB game ever.

Biggest game we ever made. World streaming. Most dialogue ever. Most quest ever. Morality system (emotional vs. Cold and machine like), you can kill „almost all“ NPCs, everthing has consequences and and the missions are interconnected. Different endings as a consequence to your actions. Character development with levels and learning points / XP. Big crafting system. His personal favorite aspect oft he game is that the game’s on the right track according to playtester feedback.

Damn Gothic armor was cool looking. That picture above makes me want to replay Gothic as Old Camp and Sect Camp member. New Camp was most appealing to me philosophically, but their armor was kinda meh compared to the other two.

Mustawd

Yeah, let's conveniently forget that small things, like how armor looks, can remind us of a much larger and enjoyable experience.

What are you, 13 years old? Oh wait...

possibly_retarded.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom