Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Pre-alpha. Aren't they supposed to release it in like nine months? Got a feeling this is going to be delayed.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Rolling has to be implented really well to not be either worthless or way too strong and therefor dominant in combat. Dark Souls is one of the very few games that got it right, yes, but the combat system all in all is simply done perfectly.

A step in the right direction surely is a stamina system. Now they just have to get everything else right, and by right i dont mean what we have seen in the videos so far.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To be fair, all the gameplay so far is pre-alpha.
There is a lot that can change.

For example that "sliding into place" stuff looked quite alpha-like to me.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
http://www.gameinformer.com/blogs/members/b/shootist2600_blog/archive/2016/06/23/my-e3-2016-the-dwarves-elex-war-thunder-vr-amp-more.aspx said:
Gamers can adjust controls and the difficulty of enemies (including the number of enemies, lock-on targeting, overall difficulty settings, etc.). One of the goals of the developer is to allow gamers to build their own game. They also want to remove everything that can remind you that you're in a game, such as loading screens or pausing action (including during combat).

Immersive.

Companions can be chosen at the player's home base for quests. A teleporter is available for traveling to/from home base, which is helpful considering that the game world is the biggest created by the developer by far. Players can reach everything in sight, and enter buildings or caves without load screens. Travel includes a jet pack for vertical exploration, and a quick travel option.

Tigranes

Arcane
As a resident Risen apologist who tried really hard to like R2/3, this looks like Amalur/Two Worlds 2/Arcania levels of shovelware. Sigh.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It's not as if I expected TB combat in a PB/Gothic-like game.

No, not TB but why inconvenience players by denying them to pause? Or do I misread this and it's merely a hint that the game isn't a RtWP game?

I wonder if the companions will be Skyrim level of usefulness during combat.

Gord

Arcane
Dunno. Depends a lot on the actual implementation of combat, inventory access and the like.

The chance that PB can produce a really good game is anyway slim nowadays.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Niggers, pausing during combat to gulp down 50 potions instantly was one of the cardinal sins of Risens 2 and 3, and PB were always tiptoing around the issue in Risen 3 previews. That they are admitting at this stage that they want to get rid of it is a good sign, wtf are you on about.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
How 'Elex' Mixes Science Fiction And Fantasy

“We’ve been thinking about the setting for ELEX for almost 10 years, and we finally have the chance to implement our ideas. The mix of sci-fi and fantasy offers an incredible number of opportunities and cool contrasts that we can play around with. The fans of Gothic or Risen will recognise our unique game philosophy and ELEX builds on that solid basis. ELEX will be the most dynamic and realistic RPG sim ever!” Björn Pankratz, Piranha Bytes

"Nordic and Piranha Bytes also promise "100 percent authenticity," meaning that the AI handles in-game decision-making in a logical way."

Suspicious-Fry-Flanders-Leonardo-DiCaprio-Meme-Gif.gif

And WTF is an "RPG sim"?

Kraszu

Prophet

No, not TB but why inconvenience players by denying them to pause? Or do I misread this and it's merely a hint that the game isn't a RtWP game?

To not allow players abuse healing during the combat, or even changing weapon or Armour in 0s time. Unless it is diablo like the game should do what it can to prevent you from healing during combat, if you are good enough you will avoid taking damage, if you aren't they you should just die.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

To not allow players abuse healing during the combat, or even changing weapon or Armour in 0s time. Unless it is diablo like the game should do what it can to prevent you from healing during combat, if you are good enough you will avoid taking damage, if you aren't they you should just die.

This has nothing to do with a way to pause the game though. If you are concerned about these things, just prohibit any interaction other than un-pause.

Kraszu

Prophet

This has nothing to do with a way to pause the game though. If you are concerned about these things, just prohibit any interaction other than un-pause.

I am pretty sure that the game will pause when you go into menu screen if you just want to pause. This was only referring to using inventory.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
When I first read the article, I thought they wanted to disallow pause because of muh immersion but currently, I read it as "it's not a RtwP game".

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The Gamescom dude said that all the menus would exist as real in-game projections from the protagonist's wrist device, so I'm still thinking it's because of the immersion factor.

vmar

Savant
Hell the game already looks like a shitty FO3 mod so it fits right in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom