Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The fire needs some wood.

In a forum post, Jenny Pakratz, one of the main developers of ELEX, has confirmed that acclaimed writer and director Andrew S. Walsh, whose previous collaboration with Piranha Bytes on the game Risen has received widespread critical and fan praise, is working again with our favorite developers, in order to deliver a new excilarating experience in ELEX.

1468258-andrew_walsh_2.jpg

"In Risen 1 Andrew S. Walsh over-worked the english translations, but he didn't work at Risen 2 or 3. In ELEX he already works at the translations, so i think it will be great."

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
PB is spiders shit tier rpg developer right now.

On par with Beth, Bio, Obsi ?

From World of Risen site:

Jenny Pakratz, one of the main developers of ELEX

Favourite games?
Gothic 2 + AddOn, Monkey Island 2, Dead Space, FALLOUT3 and Risen of course!
What would you like to see in a game for once?
A cyberspace multiplayer mode in a good fantasy roleplaying game. It would be like a time travel with someone of my choice.
7.gif

DramaticPopcorn

The setting sounds like it's written for an MMO by a 13 y.o.:

"THERE ARE PPL WHO HAYTE TECHNOLOGY AND PEOPLE WHO LOVE TECHNOLOGY AND THEN MAD MAX BANDITS IN THE DESERT AND YOU GET TO DECIDE WHO WINS", like Jesus Christ, why can't we experience Gothic 1-like setting again. :negative:

Modron

Arcane
Are axe wielding quakers really capable of even being a threat? Also PB really has a hard on for barriers.

Kahr

"THERE ARE PPL WHO HAYTE TECHNOLOGY AND PEOPLE WHO LOVE TECHNOLOGY AND THEN MAD MAX BANDITS IN THE DESERT AND YOU GET TO DECIDE WHO WINS", like Jesus Christ, why can't we experience Gothic 1-like setting again. :negative:
Arcanum and Fallout are MMOs?
:updatedmytxt:

DramaticPopcorn

Arcanum and Fallout are MMOs?
:updatedmytxt:
Stupid edgy response from a stupid edgy newfag, nothing out of ordinary.

Lios

Cipher
Despite his haggard appearance, the Skex is a very robust creature.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I remember that Skex, he was in the Gothic series under his original name, scavenger. Somewhere in my heart there is still hope for Piranha Bytes, Gothic 1+2 were dope. If they can just recapture a tiny bit of the Gothic spirit I'll be a happy camper. Risen 1 was promising but then they went insane.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Risen 1 was promising but then they went insane.

Risen 1 was an amazingly entertaining game my good man.

First act was solid 8/10 goty material, can't remember the second act but that was decent enough, and then in the third act the gameplay came down to "So, you're in a temple with lizardmen. Enjoy." That's about all I remember from risen 1. Gave up around the lizardmen, don't believe I missed too much after that. It was okay, but it wasn't Gothic 2.

Lios

Cipher
First act was solid 8/10 goty material, can't remember the second act but that was decent enough, and then in the third act the gameplay came down to "So, you're in a temple with lizardmen. Enjoy." That's about all I remember from risen 1. Gave up around the lizardmen, don't believe I missed too much after that. It was okay, but it wasn't Gothic 2.

Indeed but the first two acts are a specific kind of fun that is not around anymore.
And the combat was solid anyway.
Though yes it;s not Gothic 2.

T. Reich

Arcane

That's true, but that's also been true for both Gothics as well. In fact, R1 managed to make it less tedious than both its predecessors. I know, I replayed all three of them back to back recently.
G1: acts 5+6 "you're in a temple with undead orcs, enjoy". Act 4 is the worst by far though.
G2NotR: act4 "you're in a valley full of orcs and dragons with nothing much to do but kill them. Enjoy" -> act 5 "you're in a secret temple with undead. Enjoy" -> act 6 "you're in a super-secret island cave temple with orcs and undead. Enjoy".
A super-tedious dungeon romp slaughterfest second half of the game is like PB's calling card.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

That's true, but that's also been true for both Gothics as well. In fact, R1 managed to make it less tedious than both its predecessors. I know, I replayed all three of them back to back recently.
G1: acts 5+6 "you're in a temple with undead orcs, enjoy". Act 4 is the worst by far though.
G2NotR: act4 "you're in a valley full of orcs and dragons with nothing much to do but kill them. Enjoy" -> act 5 "you're in a secret temple with undead. Enjoy" -> act 6 "you're in a super-secret island cave temple with orcs and undead. Enjoy".
A super-tedious dungeon romp slaughterfest second half of the game is like PB's calling card.

Fair enough, maybe it's just my nostalgia goggles malfunctioning. I do recall not minding the super-secret island cave temple with orcs and undead that much though, had the feeling it was much shorter than the temple with lizardmen in Risen. But when I played gothic I was younger and hadn't been polluted by the RPG-elitism of the codex, so maybe my mindset was just different. And was the secret temple with undead from NotR? Only time I ever did a full playthrough of G2 was a pre-NotR version I borrowed from the library.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
What an ELEX time to be alive! We're attending a presentation and doing a hands-on with the game next week at Gamescom, so if you have any arcane requests about checking out the dodgeroll/rolldodge mechanics or whatever, you can post them here.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Great read, thanks.

(Gothic3) Graphically the game was a feast for the eyes in many areas. The terrain extended to the horizon, the vegetation was dense and realistic, the game shined with a dynamic day and night cycle, modern lighting and dynmaic shadows.

So true:love:

(Gothic3)The graphics had weaknesses like the flat looking ocean, the strange body proportions and a too strong LoD though, so that Piranha Bytes couldn't reach the level of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion overall, which had been released earlier that year by Bethesda based on the Gamebryo engine.

:deadtroll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom