Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I see people disagreed with my comment before and maybe I should make a clearer point.
I found the video very underwhelming. When someone presents a sci-fi open world game and what we see is just the main character sword-fighting with two mobs...well I just hope that that's not indicative of the final game.
I was expecting to see
:killitwithfire:
and stuff

A lot of people already gave up on the game.

Personally I'm checking the thread but I find it hard to post cause all I have to say is bad (about the game).

The demo looks like shit and underwhelming is an euphemism, it looks like shitty shovelware done by amateurs.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
I hate huge open worlds because it means they are 90% empty generated turds.

Gothic 1/2 had the best open world, small but every part of it was unique.

Old Piranha could do big interesting worlds, time will show if it didnt loose this ability. Bjorn is still kicking:M

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Risen 3 didn't have scale but the game got trivially easy half-way through. I don't have much hope for this as it looks like Risen 3 with guns. I really wish they would go back to something simpler, smaller, and fleshed out. I get the feeling this is going to be a lot of empty space/tedious radiant like quests, and half-assed exploration.

The Rocketbeans interviewer addressed this in the interview, after they told him that it was 1.5 times the size of Gothic. He asked them how they accomplished it after overreaching in G3. Their answer was a bit vague "we have a great team and the lead pushed it to the limit."

That means they dont have a fucking clue about what they are doing. Their team has nothing to do with the teams that made gothic 1 and 2, which were the two great games that PB is known for... everything else the studio has put out is either shit or banal.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Impressive if true.
I hate huge open worlds because it means they are 90% empty generated turds.

Gothic 1/2 had the best open world, small but every part of it was unique.
Say what you will about Gothic 3, but its world was superb.
Not really, no. Maybe if you like hiking simulators. A good 50% or so, arguably more, of the Gothic 3 world was empty filler space. Most likely overdone for the purpose of making locations seem distant from each other. Nordmar and Varant were particularly guilty of this flaw.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Say what you will about Gothic 3, but its world was superb.

You gotta be blind or didnt play game to say otherwise:salute: Nobody did better(heard good words about Witcher 3 but didnt play it yet).

Nordmar and Varant were particularly guilty of this flaw.

Nordmar had clans, monastery, Xardas tower, ancestor tombs, treasure(special chests) and etc.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

p8iRC2b.jpg

Problem with ELEX as I see it is that PB refuses to take a sharp turn from their previous efforts.

If they want to make a game about future tech like rocket packs, why not create a cyberpunk game in a strictly urban environment?

The recent gameplay video footage looks like discarded assets from Risen that were cut from the final games.

The future tech and firearm weaponry looks to be added in as an afterthought.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Problem with ELEX as I see it is that PB refuses to take a sharp turn from their previous efforts.

If they want to make a game about future tech like rocket packs, why not create a cyberpunk game in a strictly urban environment?

The recent gameplay video footage looks like discarded assets from Risen that were cut from the final games.

The future tech and firearm weaponry looks to be added in as an afterthought.

Because plot...

Magalan was a planet looking to the future. Then a meteor hit the planet causing massive destruction. Those who survived are now trapped in a battle to survive, a struggle to decide the fate of a planet. At the center of this fight is the element ELEX, a precious and limited resource that arrived with the meteor, which can power machines, give magical powers, or re-sculpt life into new, different forms. [6]

A new element called ELEX was brought to the planet with the meteor and can be applied to a wide range of uses leading to factions with different morals and ideals about the new substance. The protagonist is a former member of the Albs who consume ELEX as a way to rid themselves of emotions.[7]

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Since they announced ELEX, their reasoning for science-fantasy was "we felt liked doing it - we like fantasy but also wanted to do something different, so we are up to both".

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DarkUnderlord can we get a popup in such threads whenever someone is about to post that tells them

"This is pre-alpha, get your shit together!"

So many people spouting stuff completely oblivious of that fact is weird...

Of course, it is hard to say how many of the criticized points will be altered.
And maybe it is actually a late beta, they were just afraid of the reactions...

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
We know nigger.

Pre-Alpha, Alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma...The fact is that whenever a developer is comfortable with showcasing game at a major journalist event is because it is close enough to the release state.

imweasel

"This is pre-alpha, get your shit together!" So many people spouting stuff completely oblivious of that fact is weird...
Everything is shit on the Codex. Especially if the developer is unknown or the last releases were lackluster. Double so if they actually used make fantastic games.

But that isn't bad to be honest. If developers would actually listen to some of the criticism posted here then they could really improve their games.

Looks like they went for a STALKER vibe (down to the plot around "ELEX", not unlike Zone artifacts) but in their own banal shit boring way. Looks dismally bad.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Different (German only interview) with a little bit of footage starting before the 9min video above just differently cut footage with maybe new scenes and less fighting:

1. New more challenging combat, better enemy AI
  2. Different weapons feel really different (sword vs. axe for example)
  3. Many ranged weapons (Flamethrower, grenade launcher etc.)
  4. hand to hand combat is equally important to ranged combat
  5. Vertical exploration possible with Jet-Pack
  6. Great open world - World size is 1.5 x Gothic 3 size
  7. Many different landscapes, snow, desert a la Mad Max
  8. No loading zones
  9. Language still "Ruhrpott" slang
  10. The team has a lot of fun playing the game already
  11. PB likes contrasts: Fantasy vs. Post Apocalypse vs. Science Fiction, different factions are in the game
  12. A lot of moral choices, different endings - you decide the fate of the Elex
  13. Every major person in the game will react to your decisions
  14. Your companions have a loyalty value depending on how you play
  15. No auto-leveling of enemies
  16. Many different presets for the game difficulty
  17. You can join a guild
  18. The story has chapters
  19. The world reacts to your actions (for example if you have killed a person, quest-lines will change)
  20. New quality management -> less bugs
  21. No Mod-Tools
  22. Gothic voice-over artist again in the game
  23. Combat animations will be polished until the very end of development
  24. Some skills: lock-picking, hacking, magic, pick-pocketing, alchemy, crafting (depending on faction)
  25. Story & dialog = 300.000 words
  26. Moral system: not good vs bad - it is more do you act like a human or like a machine
  27. Factions have a hierarchy system again, gain levels and you can get better equipment
  28. Women are in the game, a relationship is possible
  29. Weather and day night cycle and climate zones are in the game
  30. Playtime: 50-80 hours
  31. Release: early - mid 2017
  32. Many new design ideas due to new setting
  33. Stamina bar + health bar leads to more tactical fighting (you can't jump around forever)
  34. There's a home-base
  35. Animation for drinking is back
  36. No mini games besides hacking and lock-picking
  37. You can play with one companion or alone
  38. No DLCs

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
No moustache and beard on main PC:incline:
Music is good.
That armor on cyber mage looked great:dance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom