Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Tigranes

Arcane
More srsly: if you look back at old Codex threads, I actually played through both R2 & R3 more than once, and was quite generous in my effort to embrace them as OK Piranha games. And I still believe that while they are the worst PB games, they are not terrible shovelware in the sense that, say, Amalur is. (Plus the pirate theme & voodoo is great.) But having played R1 & 2 back to back, and recently having played Elex & R1, I'm well aware of the difference, and it's retarded of you to assume that everybody who disagrees has never played the game or whatever, it's exactly the same as that retarded "oh fallout 4 is great u just have nostalgia" schtick.

Now, you are right in the sense that the underlying systems of R1 and R2 are very similar - as they are in most PB games. But there are two kinds of differences; large and subtle.

The large: R2 gives you more tools in your toolbox, but PB combat gets to get massively broken when they add new things. E.g. R2 release, it really was an issue that shields and dodging were broken/nonexistent - it meant there were very few options. But R2 dodging is ridiculous; you end up rolling around all over the place and autowinning a lot of fights that way, a la Witcher, whereas R1's double-tap dodge was stilla bit more vulnerable, could be activated more quicker, and the animation itself didn't take years. (The dodging in R2/3 was, to many Codex PB fans, rightly a symbol of decline, moving away from the 'fencing' of true PB combat to "roll roll roll then fire your gun" popamole.)

R2 also features the kick, which again helps you aggressively chain enemies and never take a hit; and firearms, which completely break all sort of balance, similar to how you can just juggle enemies to death via firearms/magic in Elex.

The subtle: R1 and R2 both share a key weakness in the balancing of melee animations; it is too easy to stunlock enemies, which is very noticeable if you compare it to, say, vanilla G3 wolves' ability to stunlock YOU. But R2 I've always felt makes it a bit easier to do this, even before kick & dodge.

E.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un3KSZGpU2A

Note how the ability to parry monster attacks, the kick, the rapid-firing firearm, and the massive rolling dodge encourages you not to go toe to toe with enemies, observe their timing and outperform them in classic PB fencing, but instead roll around like a maniac kicking and parrying inbetween until you can fire your big dick. If you purposefully eschew these tools and play a more parsimonious combat character, it gets more similar to R1 - but a bit easier verswion of it.

Also I still hate you go die in a fire

Deleted Member 16721

Having played and completed Gothic 2 a few months prior, and then delving into Gothic 3 for about 50 hours (have to go back and finish it later), I think ELEX is the best overall PB game so far, *if* I had to choose one.

The world design is more like Gothic 3 but with more Gothic 2 principles. It feels more hand-crafted with much more to see than Gothic 3. Where Gothic 3 had more settlements with NPCs, ELEX has more ruins, more little things to find in the world and just more "stuff" that it makes it feel not nearly as empty as Gothic 3 feels (with Gothic 3 still being a cool game. Half-broken, but cool.)

So, compared to G1/G2, I like ELEX as much, but I think the huge open-world puts it over the top for me. While it's still Gothic-ish in the core elements, and not as tightly packaged as G1 and especially G2 (which is like as tight of a package you'll find in that style of RPG, IMO) it's also faster paced overall than G1/G2, but not by a ton. PB makes Low Excitement RPGs as I call them, and G1/G2 are very Low Excitement (I need a new term for this, anyone? They're not really "low fantasy" to me, but "methodical RPGs"), but ELEX ups the excitement a notch but is still low on the scale. :) The progression is slower even, and even at 70 hours in the game I hadn't chosen a faction and was still a wimp. Crazy, and very welcomed in this age of Easy Street RPGs.

I can't leave out Risen. I think Risen 2 and 3 are actually underrated, if not world-beater RPGs. Risen 1 is a classic to me, I like how it's very Gothic-esque. Risen 2 and 3 feel more streamlined, and the Gothic Formula was scaled back in those games a bit too much for my tastes (enemy placement, for example, did not seem to be nearly as dangerous or non-scaled as Risen 1/Gothic 1/Gothic 2 and of course ELEX.) But still they are good, quality RPGs and some of the best action RPGs in that style you'll find.

ELEX, though, is kind of a marvel to me. It's huge, yet feels handmade. Epic in scope, but doesn't feel empty. There are some things that lack polish and could be expanded more, but then I remember that 27 devs and a tiny amount of dollars made this game, and I let it slide. Because really, PB are the only devs to have the cojones to attempt this type of game on this scale with 27 devs and pennies in comparison to other open-world RPGs. And what they pulled off, while rough around some edges, is still a brilliant total package. I couldn't see them squeezing more out of their resources, and this game should also show other dev teams how to approach such huge projects. But I digress.

If I had to rank them, I'd go (and this is subject to change):

ELEX
Gothic 1 (I find the story and especially the setting very memorable, some of the best in any RPG you'll find)
Risen 1 (great setting and premise, very Gothic-esque on the Excitement Scale)
Gothic 2 (while technically this is the "better" Gothic game, it lacks a bit of the feels of Gothic 1 for me. No denying its unparalleled world design and overall RPG design, though)
Gothic 3 (half-broken, or maybe mostly broken, but still an interesting open-world experience that hasn't been duplicated. Just play with Alternative Balance + Alternative AI turned on, and check it out to see some of the reputation and strange systems they added, like hunting grounds, hunting perks, etc..)
Risen 2/3 (pick one. Both underrated, quality RPGs, but honestly a step behind the others in the list)

So there you have it. Random uncalled for rant for no reason whatsoever (other than to try and relax and say nice things about one of my favorite RPG developers right now.) Can't go wrong with any of their games, IMO. But definitely play ELEX ASAP. It's kind of a miracle to me.

Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Umm, so I have paused playing for some time due to school etc., and now I wanted to continue, but when the save has completed loading everything looks like shit (see screenshot), Jax ain't there, and I can't do nothing except move the mouse up and down.
Same is the case with other save files.
Wtf happened, and how do I fix that?

Ziem

Arbiter
Umm, so I have paused playing for some time due to school etc., and now I wanted to continue, but when the save has completed loading everything looks like shit (see screenshot), Jax ain't there, and I can't do nothing except move the mouse up and down.
Same is the case with other save files.
Wtf happened, and how do I fix that?

had that too
check your video settings in game, they will be all set to lowest, set them back to your previous settings

Murk

Arcane
Yeah I already got the inkling that I should've picked Berserker, damn it. Was actually trying to do right. Game even teased me by making me pay the bitch to get her services. That's pretty cool. I did help the Separatists stay. What a tard.

If you talk to the chick doing the hiring she'll say not to hire her because she's in it for profit, says something like "I want someone who cares about the city, not shards".

Joni Odin von Hassenstein possibly one of the patches borked your settings and required them to be refreshed?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Here is me playing ELEX with my Arcade Stick, just because I now it will prolly trigger some of ya guys, tee-hee:

Last video, "my god! if he hadn't told me I would have never guessed he uses ze phallic shaft stick to move the people man!!!!":

I dunno guys, I just can't enjoy action games with enjoyable combat (not necessarily has to be top tier combat, just enough that I won't mind combating the game's combat encounters)-- can't enjoy myself using neither a game pad (shudder) NOR keyboard/mouse (obviously KB + Mouse is for RTS/Isometric/FPS); when we're dealing with close combat and shit like Dark Souls and shit like that where shit can get downright funny, nothing beats the sheer satisfaction of hitting those quality Arcade Buttons and having perfect response every time, plus not many realize arcade joystick is much better than an "Analog" stick, especially since the ones on modern Pads are cheap, low-quality shit sticks; a good Arcade Stick, preferably a japanese ball-top one from SANWA with electronic micro-triggers for the 8-way movement... that thing is like a fucking lamborghini of shafts you grip tightly in your hand and stroke furiously until you win.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
That's awesome! I think I'll make video showing how I rebind my mouse and keyboard and spend ten minutes dicking around in menus and walking around the tutorial area doing fuck all!

PrettyDeadman

Finished the game! DISGUSTING ENDING!
My character decided to join Hybrid for no reason after he refused to join him and beat him up (hybrid gave his reasoning before I refused it and fought him).
After I joined him albs are still hostile and still seeking to kill me even though Hybrid said I am the main boy now (after him).
Berserkers and Clerics didn't like it so I killed them.
Logan seemed to not care and said don't mess with my profit but for some reason there were no options to pressure him or even kill him (Jax said submit or die to other faction leaders).
After I spoke to Logan's henchman a screen with character endings opened. It didn't said what to press to see next slide so I pressed something and it close. AFAIK there is not way to see it again!
WTF.
Wost ending I've seen in this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, found Redeemer plasma rifle yesterday, purchased the stats for it immediately (boy am I glad I maxed out Animal Trophies) and that was the breakthrough I needed to get things going fast. Was lowly level 15 weakling without a faction yesterday, today I'm all like:

2s6uk2x.jpg
10p5ba1.jpg

Cleared out majority of that hueg quest list and expect to be doing mostly main story shit now. Still chapter 2. About time to start moving towards end, it's over 46 hours on save file now. So many little irritating things in this game and still could not stop playing. And I just did a Gothic 1/2 run right before this, you'd think I would be burned out on PB games by now.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, found Redeemer plasma rifle yesterday, purchased the stats for it immediately (boy am I glad I maxed out Animal Trophies) and that was the breakthrough I needed to get things going fast. Was lowly level 15 weakling without a faction yesterday, today I'm all like:

2s6uk2x.jpg
10p5ba1.jpg

Cleared out majority of that hueg quest list and expect to be doing mostly main story shit now. Still chapter 2. About time to start moving towards end, it's over 46 hours on save file now. So many little irritating things in this game and still could not stop playing. And I just did a Gothic 1/2 run right before this, you'd think I would be burned out on PB games by now.
We've seen each other in the Gothic thread. After I completed ELEX, I played and beat all three Gothic games. I probably didn't get burnt out because there aren't many games I can think of that play like them.

Last edited:
Okay, so: Any way to get rid of that "Abessa conflict" quest, or is it bugged?
I looted the marked corpses of the Outlaws and talked to basically every surviving Cleric with a name. I'm not sure what else I could do to finish the quest. :M

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I looted the marked corpses of the Outlaws and talked to basically every surviving Cleric with a name. I'm not sure what else I could do to finish the quest. :M

Did Alb seperatists survive/exiled ? You see them in later acts outside the city and kill them to close that quest.

Did Alb seperatists survive/exiled ? You see them in later acts outside the city and kill them to close that quest.
Thanks! I didn't resolve this particular quest in one way or the other, so I guess they might still be alive.

Gimble

Educated
PB has released a new patch and it seems to be pretty beefy. Many fixes to quests and abilities as well as other oddities like sunglasses granting armor. Flamethrowers cant be used to continuously stunlock now as they have added a cooldown.

They have also added new difficulty customization (modify player damage, enemy damage and stamina cost) to cater to those complaining about the difficulty, I suppose.

Patch details here -> https://steamcommunity.com/app/411300/discussions/0/1620599015861245549/

Last edited:

Zlaja

Arcane
Many fixes to quests and abilities as well as other oddities like sunglasses granting armor

For a second I thought they added armor value to glasses. I wasn't even aware they gave you armor in the first place.

Flamethrowers cant be used to continuously stunlock now as they have added a cooldown.

:yeah:

The perk Good Eater now doubles the effect of food, it was tripled before

Thank God. That was fucking weird.

Last edited:

Gimble

Educated
What are you complaining about? Sunglasses granted a hidden 30% damage resistance. It has now been fixed with this patch.

Engine:
- Added FXAA T2x and SMAA T2x anti-aliasing techniques

I had hoped for TAA but this is better than nothing I guess. Shimmering in Ignadon is really annoying.

- The perk Good Eater now doubles the effect of food, it was tripled before

Oh well.. them Bloody Burgers and Bone Marrow Soup should be still be useful.

- Many mesh and texture reworks and improvements

Wonder if they did something about those ugly rock textures.

Overall seems like a good fix list. Almost makes me regret not waiting longer before playing.

Last edited:

Gimble

Educated
Oh well.. them Bloody Burgers and Bone Marrow Soup should be still be useful.

Food items are still too good unless they also fixed the ability to munch a batch of those to have constant regen through the tougher fights due to the effects queuing up.

The player can get alb armors now - that should be interesting, especially if it also involves greater faction reactivity than just extra equipment.

T. Reich

Arcane
Player can get the Alb Commander armor. Depending on the players actions he can even get the Alb Elexetor Armor now.
:yeah:

Fixed an issue where the loot screen was hidden by the body of the player
:desu:

Female body parts now behave correctly during dialogs
:negative:Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Flamethrower single shots now have a cooldown and a decreased radius
:hero:

I rate this patch :4/5:.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Nerfing the flamer but not the biggest offender which is the plasma rifle? LoL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom