Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So, my PC shouldn't be able to run ELEX, according to minimum system req, but it managed to be playable on 1024x768 resolution, so I get to taste this game.

Almost 20 hours in, I joined Outlaw because of course the Mad Max aesthetics, but the ability to use 'chems' seems lame, do I get cool looking and/or broken weapons later on or what?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
So, my PC shouldn't be able to run ELEX, according to minimum system req, but it managed to be playable on 1024x768 resolution, so I get to taste this game.

Almost 20 hours in, I joined Outlaw because of course the Mad Max aesthetics, but the ability to use 'chems' seems lame, do I get cool looking and/or broken weapons later on or what?
The most broken weapon in the game is the Redeemer which is a plasma rifle that's somewhere in the world that I forgot although I got it myself. It has like 100 damage and the general plasma rifle broken-ness of being able to shoot plasma balls which stunlock your enemy.
Chems can be useful but I didn't use any myself because I have muh magicks.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

not any that are specific to the outlaws, no. the best weapons are available to everybody.

sadly, you joined the worst faction by far. Good job!

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
OK guys, I loaded a save from just before I joined Outlaw and switched to Cleric instead, thanks. I can become a Jedi too now.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
So I am also like 20ish hours in. Well in midgame I suppose, lvl 22 Berserker. It's a rather silly, but entertaining game so far. Found a lvl 3 2h axe in some cave in the SW corner and can trash everything up to cyclopses and Patrons. The character system makes no sense at all though. So the indispensible skills are crafting and trophy gathering. Personality skills are a joke mostly. Not that it matter as I am in the process of nailing every skill with elex potions. Then save money for grand berserker armor and on to the endgame soon I suppose.
Also in addition to attributes being mostly gear and skill gates, elex potion cold gain doesn't seem to work at all.
Typical late PB mess, it's like an adorable cripple or something.

Elex

Arbiter
So I am also like 20ish hours in. Well in midgame I suppose, lvl 22 Berserker. It's a rather silly, but entertaining game so far. Found a lvl 3 2h axe in some cave in the SW corner and can trash everything up to cyclopses and Patrons. The character system makes no sense at all though. So the indispensible skills are crafting and trophy gathering. Personality skills are a joke mostly. Not that it matter as I am in the process of nailing every skill with elex potions. Then save money for grand berserker armor and on to the endgame soon I suppose.
Also in addition to attributes being mostly gear and skill gates, elex potion cold gain doesn't seem to work at all.
Typical late PB mess, it's like an adorable cripple or something.
elex potion cold increase matter, but dialogue option are more impactfull.

Erikolaz

Educated
Here's a useful mod. Should let us play with the "highlight items" effect without needing to wear the sunglasses.
https://www.nexusmods.com/elex/mods/30?

Had been waiting for this kind of mod, because I hated the idea of my Berserker wearing modern high tech sunglasses. Now I'll imagine that he has mana-enhanced eyesight instead.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
After playing the game for like 5-6 and finally acquiring my first non-joke weapon (laser rifle) I thought things would start to become interesting, but nope.So...at what point does the game start to become actually fun? Because so far I did nothing but run from every single fight and/or let Duras do all the fighting. My damage is still garbage and every enemy is HP/dmg bloat. A single enemy can eat an entire (20 shots) laser clip, laugh off the damage and then 1/2 shot me. I have Ranged 1 and 39 Dex. All the quests I did so far were boring fetch quests with little to no fighting.

So, am I missing some shortcut to the actual fun (fun = actually being able to shoot a rotboar to death) or is the game really gonna keep being that much of a chore for the foreseeable future? My patience for fetch quests is at an end, tbh.

Castozor

Scholar
In my limited experience it only gets bearable around lvl 15 or so. Depending on your build you can finally wield +1 weapons with some upgrade (faction dependant upgrades I think). After that you can finally fight more than beginner enemies without them soaking a dozen hits. Furthermore around this level I tried to go solo without a companion and yeah fights against multiple enemies suck (as a melee guy). Sure enemy patterns are pretty simple but when 3-4 beasts stagger their moves you can only get 1 or 2 safe hits in against enemies that can soak at least 10.
Overall I'm liking this but I feel the period of being a weak nobody is too long and since even following the roads doesn't guarantee safety even doing all the Fed-ex quests to get some levels is somehow both boring yet dangerous. I feel enemy placement could have used a bit more thought because I'm very sorry but: "let Durass soak some hits while you pick quest item x, so you can at least get to level 10", isn't very fun design. Especially when the follow up quest is: why didn't you kill those guys, get back there lazy ass. Yeah Sure, maybe in 7 level ups and some gear upgrades gramps.
Edit: also the faliing damage complaints are spot on. Yes I know, hur dur jetpack, but Jax takes damage from skipping a few stairsteps too many. Yes of course I started using the jetpack for every descent no matter how small, but the amount of damage you can sustain from even the smallest drops is just derp worthy.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
So another 6 lvl ups until the game stops being a tedious chore? Gotcha! Anyone got a list of "safe" (* cough cough * FEDEX * cough *) quests I can do or, better yet, a list of console commands to just give me the XP I need? Whoever fought doing fetch quests for 10-20 hours until you start being able to take an enemy or two in a fight is good and fun design deserve to have his face eaten by dogs.

Also, fun fact: did the investigation of the Chem dealer in Hort, naively thinking it would be a straightforward fetch quest and by the end of it I get SURPRISE UNWINNABLE FIGHT, MOTHERFUCKER!!! Such fun, much wow.

Erikolaz

Educated
I did most of the beginner quests at Goliet, then at the Domed City, then at the Fort, then at the Camp in the Center, then finally at the Hort.

Along the way I found (or crafted) items such as Amulet of the Provider, Amulet of Protection, Ring of Protection, Ring of Hardiness, etc. Also recipes with combat buff effects.

The most significant breakthrough for me was when I learned to fight without using a shield. Equipping a shield significantly reduces the damage you deal, especially with your special attack.

At that point I could take out almost any human opponent in 1-on-1 fights (including the chem dealer), relying on full-combo special attacks with a one-hander and no shield. I had learned the mechanics well enough to avoid taking damage from single human opponents, though many monsters were still extremely challenging.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
After playing the game for like 5-6 and finally acquiring my first non-joke weapon (laser rifle) I thought things would start to become interesting, but nope.So...at what point does the game start to become actually fun? Because so far I did nothing but run from every single fight and/or let Duras do all the fighting. My damage is still garbage and every enemy is HP/dmg bloat. A single enemy can eat an entire (20 shots) laser clip, laugh off the damage and then 1/2 shot me. I have Ranged 1 and 39 Dex. All the quests I did so far were boring fetch quests with little to no fighting.

So, am I missing some shortcut to the actual fun (fun = actually being able to shoot a rotboar to death) or is the game really gonna keep being that much of a chore for the foreseeable future? My patience for fetch quests is at an end, tbh.
it’s not hp bloat: it’s armorbloat, use the weapon with the best damage don’t matter how fast the weapon attack (with laser rifle never use burst or full auto against strong enemies)

even 3-4 extra damage can make the difference between 20 shots or 5 shots, because enemies have limited hp so your damage is basically all eaten by armor.

an alternative is the dot/ elemental / magic damage, because ignore armor and use a % reduction.

so good weapon early are the ones with elemental buff.

Jinn

Arcane
I was very happy with the sense of futility in the beginning, and the sense of progression to come. One of the best aspects of the game for me. What difficulty are you playing on? Sorry if I missed if it was mentioned before.

T. Reich

Arcane

What's your difficulty level? Veteran+, I assume. On elite, the game will "open up" at lvl15+ approx, depending on your skills with Pyranha games. On veteran, the threashold is around lvl10 (equipping weapons with 35-40 damage). For ranged weapons, the threshold is higher, because the game difficulty scales enemy damae threshold first and foremost.
That's when you start to be able to kill 25-40 exp enemies with some effort (and early humanoid enemies, too). Which in turn means that you can now explore the world and fightan, not just run away.

If you're not comfortable with that, I strongly suggest you lower your difficulty to standard.

P.S.: If you went early cleric, I also strongly suggest you explore other areas of the world as well. The whole Ignadon area was obviously rushed in development, and so it lacks content (especially early game content) relative to the other game areas.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was very happy with the sense of futility in the beginning, and the sense of progression to come. One of the best aspects of the game for me. What difficulty are you playing on? Sorry if I missed if it was mentioned before.
Agree. I usually play on Normal, and I did here too.
PS: Nice avatar! :obviously:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
So I cheat engined my way to reaching lvl 15 (NO, I'm not doing any more fetch quests. Fuck right off. I'd rather hit the uninstall button instead) and now things are starting to pick up pace. Combat is still awful garbage but at least I can stunlock enemies to death with the plasma rifle. Also managed to upgrade it to Plasma I. Wish the developers weren't retards and disabling double tap dodge actually worked. You look up videos of ELEX and everyone is randomly rolling :lol:

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Finished it some time ago, went cleric. Yeah, you struggle with the combat in the beginning but, that is the charm with PB games. Later on, with the Black Hole spell and plasma rifle, you are only at risk in 2-3 of the later fights. Really enjoyed the game despite some quirks in the combat and quests not working correctly (i,e, progressing despite meeting objectives).

The way I played was to do as much as possible before joining a faction, so by the time I joined the Clerics I had a reasonably good level, and had unlocked most of the maps and teleporters (using the perk for locating the teleporters on the map) which made moving around for the main and faction quests a non-issue. This was actually kind of a draw-back as progressing through the main quest became quite a rapid affair.

Really enjoyed the game, and I guess most PB-fans will.

Hope they make a sequel.

EDIT: Finished the game as level 42, with 42 skill points to spare.

Tigranes

Arcane
Warrior is the best way, because Plasma Rifle & Black Hole are essentially god mode, no real exaggeration

Castozor

Scholar
I wish level ups did more and Elex potions weren't as necessary. Alternatively perhaps having some extra weapon tier in-between regular and +1 would have been nice.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Warrior is the best way, because Plasma Rifle & Black Hole are essentially god mode, no real exaggeration
Until you meet two guys with flamethrowers and one with rocket launcher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom