Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
LMAO @ Goliet affairs :lol:

Since I've never been interested in joining the zerks, I kept applying Creative Solutions (tm) to all their quests. I.e. let the undercover cleric escape, let the elex-thief stay with his mutie brutha, stole Ragnar's shining blade, etc.

So now I go to Ragnar and ask for the lulz how's my standing with his folks. He starts counting out all the stuff I did and finishes with "you've given us more problems that you've solved. Some people say I should just exile you outright at this point."

The zerks now all refuse to trade with me etc unless I gain the forgiveness of all the warlords :lol:

C&C, bitch!
(just a slight shame that you have to "activate" this yourself by asking Ragnar for evaluation and it doesn't happen by itself)

Elex

Arbiter
I tell you to go jump off a cliff. Will you do it?
Depends, do I get a jetpack? Because if so, fuck yeah.

are you one of those people who use a charisma-based build
I pumped a lot of initial points into Cunning, yeah, because the game presented that as a viable option with no indication that you'd furiously assfuck yourself by doing so, and then offered a ton of skill-locked dialogue options that you couldn't possibly meet at that time unless you avoid engaging in those conversations on purpose.

Again, the design is shit. It's like they actually didn't have anyone testing it other than themselves - themselves knowing all the ins and outs of the system and the perfect quest order and point distribution, but none of this is indicated or conveyed to the player. The game has the worst kind of hand-holding, such as quest compasses, auto-aiming, auto-lock, while also withholding any tools the player should be able to use to reach their own conclusions and resolve issues, such as the lack of a minimap, no explanation on what anything actually does, the worst journal system I've seen in well over a decade, etc.

Add to that a janky-as-fuck movement and controls and a small mountain of bugs (yay, I love to have to de-equip and re-equip my bow after accidentally doing a sudden roll into a hill because suddenly I don't have an arrow notched anymore and it can't re-notch it, or how you always start walking forward for a split second when you stop aiming, even though you're walking backwards the whole time, or how it almost never starts aiming in the direction you're looking, or how enemies clip through shit, or get stuck in world geometry, etc).

This game could've used another year in development, some testing by someone other than the developer team itself, and a single person capable of designing a UI that isn't completely fucked.

And someone that plays on something other than a controller. You can't even exit out of most stuff with Escape, and binds are all over the fucking place for no sensible reason. RMB is cancel? Dodging by double-clicking? Who the fuck was retarded enough to think this was a good idea?
well actually “knowing exactly the order and planning the stat allocation” is what i like to do in gothic, i love doing that add a tons of replayability combined with the multiple faction/option.

like joining the mage in gothic 2 and plan all what i can do without wasting points in str for example.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Andromeda doesn't start you off as a "Chosen One" AFAIK (I never played it)
My bad. It starts you off as the Pathfinder.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Pathfinder_Ryder

What's a pathfinder, you ask?

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Pathfinder

Pathfinders are a blend of elite soldier, scientist, and guide tasked by the Andromeda Initiative to find a new home for Milky Way colonists seeking to settle in the Andromeda galaxy. Each of the Initiative's five Arks are assigned their own Pathfinder, and each Pathfinder heads their own team to handle the challenges of an unexplored galaxy.

Because your father decided you and your sibling would join. Part of pathfinder work is using a brain, or head advice of smarter, and decide on place that's actually survivable, or do impossible and make it survivable. Being kick ass muderer who massacre stuff is secondary.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The jetpack is fucking useless,especially when you have reavers with infinite amount of grenade launchers that shot at the rate of a defected tennis ball trowing machine.You have trolls that trow rocks that lock on your character as if they trow heat seaking missiles,you have monsters that spit acid and fire and locks on your character like they are aim bots.Why would I jetpack away and make my life harder you dumb fuck

they don't lock on autoaim heat seeking missiles

they just lead the target and predict your movement

you don't seem like a very able individual

Are you telling me that rock is not acting like a heat seaking missile,are you really that dumb to think that kind of AI and artificial difficulty should be normal in any game? Jesus christ,some people on this forum are mentaly retarded or something

That is not true mate. Enemy shoot their projectiles in the place that you will be if you continue to run. Once i found out that i begun dodging after the shot was fired,it is a lot more easy to dodge .

Shadenuat

Arcane
Andromeda doesn't start you off as a "Chosen One" AFAIK (I never played it)
My bad. It starts you off as the Pathfinder.

Because your father decided you and your sibling would join. Part of pathfinder work is using a brain, or head advice of smarter, and decide on place that's actually survivable, or do impossible and make it survivable. Being kick ass muderer who massacre stuff is secondary.

Andromeda has the worst case of pandering to player and telling how world goes around him ever happened in Bioware games, the lowest low. Worse than DAO and obviously worse than BGT.

But tbh, unless factions can systemically affect game world independently of player (like in Space Rangers or in global strategies) it's still just dressing just of other flavour until the Avatar (player) comes and tips the scales of the game world which was in balance and only he could make one of the forces win. Nobody even asks questions like why if you join some army like faction (like NCR in New Vegas) your gameplay is still same running around world soloing all the shit and collecting items even if it just makes no sense. So instead of chosen one you end up as some dirt derper who rose through metagaming to the end and became perfect soldiermage loremaster crafter regardless, whish is actually just another type of power fantasy in a sense. (and I don't know why people can find it more believable than just assuming an important role backed by the plot from the start)

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is why I love the backstory behind Elex’s progression. You ARE a very important and powerful person in the game world, but at the beginning you’re suffering from serious Elex withdrawal and it makes you weak as a kitten. So you have to relearn how to do everything without Alb super refined Elex (those Elex potions even say they work by relieving the effects of Elex withdrawal—without the withdrawal I’m guessing all stats would be 100 from the get-go). Anyone who’s ever had to detox from too much daily boozing—or too much opioids for my fellow ‘mericans—knows that this makes a lot of sense.

Kahr

Wow, i got the Jetpack attack. Best thing ever.
It's so much fun climbing one of those huge towers and seeing an enemy under you.
Then you jump down and leftclick in the right moment.
Bros, i found the Awesome Button. It's the left mouse button.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is an upgrade-able stronghold in Chapter 2.

I wasn't expecting that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Chapter 1 actually.

This game is genius in how it makes me feel like an addict. I'm currently constantly bumming people for my next Elex fix to get more attributes, stealing and lying just to get more junk into my system.

Always broke, always hopped up on Elex. Rank 3 arch-berserker, too broke for a good weapon or armor...

I'm a bum!!

My favorite thing in a PB game is to plot an optimal minmax path. So far I think it involves spending every penny on elex to get 50 int and 80 con or so while still level 1, buying all the XP and per level talents and only then going for combat. Tedious but I like playing extremely.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So anyway, if the stats aren't working (i.e CON doesn't give HP, STR doesn't give damage), how are they going to fix and balance it? Because with good enough gear and equipment you are still killing everything left and right pretty easy. If you add even more damage with stats then the game needs to be rebalanced, otherwise it's going to be way too easy.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So anyway, if the stats aren't working (i.e CON doesn't give HP, STR doesn't give damage), how are they going to fix and balance it? Because with good enough gear and equipment you are still killing everything left and right pretty easy. If you add even more damage with stats then the game needs to be rebalanced, otherwise it's going to be way too easy.

I assume the descriptions are just wrong, and that stats are only for unlocks.

Then again, maybe the game was intended to be a lot easier than it actually is.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
So, Clerics are stiff tech-fags with ranks such as Paladins and strict laws?
I haven't seen anything like this before...

Holy shit, that's disgusting. They've just ripped-off Brotherhood.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
...what

Quoting this before you delete this in shame:

So, Clerics are stiff tech-fags with ranks such as Paladins and strict laws?
I haven't seen anything like this before...

Holy shit, that's disgusting. They've just ripped-off Brotherhood.

811d3dc63cb2c3b507842e9e4d5f6d4e.gif

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The jetpack is fucking useless,especially when you have reavers with infinite amount of grenade launchers that shot at the rate of a defected tennis ball trowing machine.You have trolls that trow rocks that lock on your character as if they trow heat seaking missiles,you have monsters that spit acid and fire and locks on your character like they are aim bots.Why would I jetpack away and make my life harder you dumb fuck

they don't lock on autoaim heat seeking missiles

they just lead the target and predict your movement

you don't seem like a very able individual

Are you telling me that rock is not acting like a heat seaking missile,are you really that dumb to think that kind of AI and artificial difficulty should be normal in any game? Jesus christ,some people on this forum are mentaly retarded or something

That is not true mate. Enemy shoot their projectiles in the place that you will be if you continue to run. Once i found out that i begun dodging after the shot was fired,it is a lot more easy to dodge .

Holy fuck, whoever is playing on that YouTube video should just go and throw their pc out the window. I don't think I've ever seen aiming that bad before! Never mind the lack of headshots, sometimes that dude looks like he's aiming for the trolls ankles and still misses. I'd be embarrassed to link to a clip like that to illustrate any point, unless it was, 'look how useless some players are'.

ortucis

Prophet

I assume the descriptions are just wrong, and that stats are only for unlocks.

Then again, maybe the game was intended to be a lot easier than it actually is.

Stats ARE just for unlocks. I don't know how people are confusing them.

Every item and skill has stat requirement and you are just upgrading them to unlock items and skills. They have no effect on you directly.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
^ Maybe they're confusing them because the attribute descriptions in the character sheet flat out lie about their effects?

Patch notes:
-Fixed attributes not giving derived bonuses to player
-Increased enemy NPC and monster health points by 500% to compensate

:troll:

Elex

Arbiter
^ Maybe they're confusing them because the attribute descriptions in the character sheet flat out lie about their effects?

Patch notes:
-Fixed attributes not giving derived bonuses to player
-Increased enemy NPC and monster health points by 500% to compensate

:troll:
-placed additional high level monsters on roads.
-reduced player character stamina regeneration.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Exactly this.

I suspect the descriptions are just wrong, but until PB fixes them, people will continue to think it's a bug.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't understand melee exactly. In Gothic you could hit any time and used backstep, here you can only hit when prompted? Isn't that a step back from more freeform type of combat? And there's no way to fight multiple opponents except luring them somewhere one by one?

I think I'll probably play a pacifist explorer with a jump pack and a gun.

The writing is very cringy with it's meta shit "join faction follow npc factions factions".

Need to hide some more in rivers from skull enemies and collect more mugs.

What's up with enemies just blatantly spawning from the ground ala DA2 ninjas? :)

What if you don't use Elex? Or is it the only way to get a lot of xp?

edit. oops just peacefully explored into a deathclaw.

Last edited:

Villagkouras

Arcane
More than 21.000 players now on Steam. More than 70.000 copies sold there too. I think that's great news. If only some reviewers weren't so crooked...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom