Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elhoim's Interfaces Main Thread

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Claw said:
So.. I guess we're finally done with the main GUI - for the moment.

It is done.

(BTW, "finally done for the moment" - That doesn´t sound too final! :lol:)

Rinse and repeat for every interface screen of shall you do that more privately?

If we should do it more privately? Of course I would like that, and also to present a joint screen. ;)

One Wolf

Scholar
i understand it's too late and probably too difficult to implement anyway, but oll's last and elhoims last would look great if they were both used depending on the darkness of the environment.

during the day, elhoim's nice clear and brighter UI blends well.

at night, or in dark rooms, oltro's darker, slightly blurrier UI would blend best.

if only we could have it all! *sob*

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
This is the Codex Wolf: Choices and Consequences, man, Choices and Consequences ;)

If we could have it all? Don´t be an Oblivion sissy! :P

protobob

Liturgist
I think Elhoim's 'final' is better than the latest ol, which just seems a bit to dark and grungy. I did think that some of ol's early designs were very, very nice and have helped contribute a lot to the look.

But yes, lets move on, I'd like to play this game sometime soon.

Nepsa

Novice
Well, I think the lockpics and trap look "inactive", the map looks funky and the lockpicks looks like knives, I'd even be so arrogant as to say that my version of lockpicking works.. It's a little odd that the options icon is a floppy, but there's a nostalgia to it. :)

But that's it! Looks great otherwise, and yeah - leave the UI for now and move on to other things. Can't wait for the game to be finished. :P

galsiah

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Elhoim said:
Granpa likes it, so it´s in ;)
:lol:
Just for the record, I still think it sucks :).
Like suibhne said, it seems anachronistic. I agree there's no definite reason to suppose they wouldn't have used a projection like that. However, that shape is probably the most recognizable modern-day-only (AFAIK) projection that exists. I'd be happier with pretty much any other shape.

For instance, here are some historical examples.
If you don't want a rectangle/circle, why not use a historical projection, or one you've made up? Using a distinctly modern shape just feels wrong to me.
Anyway - I'm done complaining on this one.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
I'd put my vote for Ol's lockpick icon, and making the trap look rusty or bronze to make it look less inactive. I had actually assumed all the time that they were *supposed* to depict the inactive state. Other than that I think it looks really great, at least the interface could now win a graphics prize ;-)

oltronix

Novice
I made a ten minute adjustment to reduce the blur. This could of course be done a lot better.

old
Main-gui-clean2.jpg

new slightly crisper.
Main-gui-clean2a.jpg

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
oltronix said:
new slightly crisper
Damn this is the best yet. Some icons might be a tad too big, but the whole thing's so good it can't be ignored. It's the notch that makes the difference between a generic interface and one that complements the game. I mean, I'm having fun just to look at it.

But, lets leave style and esthetics aside for the moment. Still, by seeing both interfaces ingame, oltronix's one is clearly the winner. When I look at the screen with Elhoim's GUI, I find myself drawn to the interface rather than the gameworld. One of the reason is:
KazikluBey said:
I find Elhoim's UI to look too full of detail compared to the graphics.
It's too bright, and blends badly. So much that it's a distraction. With oltronix's one, I'm looking at the gameworld alright, not distracted, comfortable. Even though the GUI is more interesting to look at. Add to that his edge in esthetics and icons, and his crisper version that addresses the bluriness...

Really, it's not so much about the fancy looks and graphic-whoring, but rather about reducing the intrusiveness of the interface, to harmonise it with the game as a whole.

Monolith

Prophet
Ismaul said:
oltronix said:
new slightly crisper
Damn this is the best yet. Some icons might be a tad too big, but the whole thing's so good it can't be ignored. It's the notch that makes the difference between a generic interface and one that complements the game. I mean, I'm having fun just to look at it.

But, lets leave style and esthetics aside for the moment. Still, by seeing both interfaces ingame, oltronix's one is clearly the winner. When I look at the screen with Elhoim's GUI, I find myself drawn to the interface rather than the gameworld. One of the reason is:
KazikluBey said:
It's too bright, and blends badly. So much that it's a distraction. With oltronix's one, I'm looking at the gameworld alright, not distracted, comfortable. Even though the GUI is more interesting to look at. Add to that his edge in esthetics and icons, and his crisper version that addresses the bluriness...

Really, it's not so much about the fancy looks and graphic-whoring, but rather about reducing the intrusiveness of the interface, to harmonise it with the game as a whole.
I totally agree.

Fryjar

Augur
Although, you certainly have a point, I have to say, that if we continue like this, the game'll be renamed to Age of Decadence:Forever.
So maybe we should slowly move on to other screens, since we are really just nitpicking at the moment, and not adressing the bigger issues.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Remember that this gui is in 800x600. Right now mine may look too crisp here, but when in full screen it looks barely defined.

I may make it a little darker, so it blends better with darker areas and doesn´t stand out as much, but I´m preetty happy with its ingame looks.

oltronix

Novice
I would like to start with the other screens to. But since I'm not sure if there are going to be any more drastic changes in the layout I can't.

The most effective way to finish the UI should be:
The layout of buttons and feedback windows are set(this doesn't include artwork, colouring or overall brightness.). That layout is then tested for functionality in the game. I'm assuming there is some beta players, make them look for inconvinient placements in the ui. Then and no sooner the polishing should start.

The last couple of pages have only been smal changes in colouring, if the ui works by putting down the base frame and then adding the elements of the interface as separate images there is no reason why the implementation couldn't be be done before the polishing is finalized. It should be a simple matter of replacing the image files.

Aligning all the text and interactivity in game is probably a tedious task that you don't want to do more then once. But as long as we're only changing the colour the code wouldn't have to change.

This is of course assuming that the interface works this way. :D

Hazelnut

Erudite
Elhoim said:
Ingame shots:

Not had enough time to follow this thread recently, but I'm guessing that we're meant to be commenting on these. I prefer the top one by a large margin, although some of the Nepsas' icons for lockpick, map and options are superior to the originals used in the top one here. I do accept that the map may be better as a rectangular parchment rather than a globe, but if that's the feeling then it must be distinct enough from the journal icon. The globe does achieve this.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I would like to start with the other screens to. But since I'm not sure if there are going to be any more drastic changes in the layout I can't.

Start with the dialogue screen, since it´s one that won´t suffer many changes. Also the Journal one is one that won´t suffer much too. And the Scroll screens too (check the AoD Lore thread). I´ll send you blank versions when I get home. :)

Lumpy

Arcane
Ismaul said:
oltronix said:
new slightly crisper

KazikluBey said:
Only that oltronix's GUI is Elhoim's one with slightly different coloring. R00fles.

oltronix

Novice
For some quick comparison.

comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

comp3.jpg

Lumpy there is some more work to it than colourchanges. :wink:

suibhne

Erudite
I said I wouldn't gripe anymore, but I lied.

I still don't get the original Lockpicking icon. ol's makes immediate sense to me - it's clearly recognizable - but all I think of when I see the original icon is the eyestalks of a Beholder. :lol: Seriously, even after seeing it for, what, a week or two...I still don't know what it's supposed to be.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Lumpy said:
Ismaul said:
oltronix said:
new slightly crisper

KazikluBey said:
Only that oltronix's GUI is Elhoim's one with slightly different coloring. R00fles.

Yeah, and if you see the title of the thread still says Elhoim´s Interfaces. After all, I made all the work under all those fancy layers, and I´m the game GUI Designer. So, in essence, it´s a different version of my work.

Also, as I said some posts ago, I´ll tweak the brightness of my version in order to achieve a balance in all lightning conditions.

Of course Oll can continue posting different versions, as it is good photoshop practice, and may bring some nice ideas (like the different game lightning issue).

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
suibhne said:

I still don't get the original Lockpicking icon. ol's makes immediate sense to me - it's clearly recognizable - but all I think of when I see the original icon is the eyestalks of a Beholder. :lol: Seriously, even after seeing it for, what, a week or two...I still don't know what it's supposed to be.

Remeber, google is your friend!

http://static.blogo.it/gadgetblog/lockp ... card_3.jpg

In the game, the icon is a set of lockpicks, and if you see closely you will see that is very correct. Besides VD is very fond of the original icons, so no changes to them.

suibhne

Erudite
Elhoim said:
suibhne said:

Remeber, google is your friend!

http://static.blogo.it/gadgetblog/lockp ... card_3.jpg

In the game, the icon is a set of lockpicks, and if you see closely you will see that is very correct. Besides VD is very fond of the original icons, so no changes to them.

VD can prefer whatever he wants, but the expectation that I'm going to use Google in order to decipher an in-game GUI element is so silly that I don't even know how to respond. It's not my problem that some of us in this thread can't tell what the icon signifies; it's yours. :P

If you and VD are set on that icon, it's fine; we'll adjust to it quickly once we start playing. As an icon, tho, it's really not iconic. I know what lockpicks actually look like, and I still can't get from here to there with that icon when I'm looking at it outside of the actual gameplay context - whereas the rest of the icon bar is intuitively obvious to me, even the anachronistic world map representation.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
the expectation that I'm going to use Google in order to decipher an in-game GUI element is so silly that I don't even know how to respond

It´s not expected, I just thought that you didn´t know how a lockpick actually looks like. So no need to respond.

Lumpy

Arcane
At that size, the icon could be anything from a set of toothbrushes to a swiss army knife.
Although who cares, you're going to have tooltips anyway, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom