Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elhoim's Interfaces Main Thread

One Wolf

Scholar
Ismaul said:
oltronix said:
new slightly crisper
Damn this is the best yet. Some icons might be a tad too big, but the whole thing's so good it can't be ignored. It's the notch that makes the difference between a generic interface and one that complements the game. I mean, I'm having fun just to look at it.

But, lets leave style and esthetics aside for the moment. Still, by seeing both interfaces ingame, oltronix's one is clearly the winner. When I look at the screen with Elhoim's GUI, I find myself drawn to the interface rather than the gameworld. One of the reason is:
KazikluBey said:
I find Elhoim's UI to look too full of detail compared to the graphics.
It's too bright, and blends badly. So much that it's a distraction. With oltronix's one, I'm looking at the gameworld alright, not distracted, comfortable. Even though the GUI is more interesting to look at. Add to that his edge in esthetics and icons, and his crisper version that addresses the bluriness...

Really, it's not so much about the fancy looks and graphic-whoring, but rather about reducing the intrusiveness of the interface, to harmonise it with the game as a whole.

seconded.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Lumpy said:
At that size, the icon could be anything from a set of toothbrushes to a swiss army knife.
Although who cares, you're going to have tooltips anyway, right?

I´m pretty sure that they are. VD might respond this query better.

Besides, it wouldn´t be a true RPG without indescernable icons! :lol:

oltronix

Novice
After all, I made all the work under all those fancy layers, ... So, in essence, it´s a different version of my work.

Feel free to remove all those fancy layers if you want. But when you decided to use my work it effectivly became our work. I don't see the need for the territorial pissing. I have different idea of how it should look, that doesn't mean we can't find a balance. I don't feel like spending days with shading the GUI if my work is going to be refered to as some fancy layers.

Before the fancyness:
mainguimarbleun9.jpg

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Feel free to remove all those fancy layers if you want. But when you decided to use my work it effectivly became our work. I don't see the need for the territorial pissing. I have different idea of how it should look, that doesn't mean we can't find a balance. I don't feel like spending days with shading the GUI if my work is going to be refered to as some fancy layers.

Don´t be so extreme, oll. ;)

If I did the same with your work (that is, remove my interface), all that will be left is shadows and stains. Hardly an interface. But that would be stupid, and childish.

I have thanked you and recognized your lots of times. And I love your fancy layers, as they are really good! (Is fancy a nice word, right? I mean, they are very good looking.)

But let´s put things clear, in the eyes of the codex: I´ve been doing the interface for three months, not only the effects but also the design, many things from scratch. That earned me the place of Official GUI Designer of AoD (and this is not something I´m making up). I really aprecciate your help with the coloring of the interface, and I REALLY want us to continue working on it. Maybe this is going to sound harsh, and please don´t take it the bad way, but this is my GUI with your help on the coloring and you will be recognized for your great addition to it, but it is not our GUI. In the last days I noticed (or felt) that you started to change more than what I needed help with, trying to compete with me, and I didn´t liked that. And that led to that unfortunate and silly phrase I said.

It would be really silly and sad if we parted ways, as I will have to do all your layers from scratch, and you would have to make a new interface from scratch. I´m sorry for that phrase I said, and I will like you to continue helping me with my interface, as your work really improved it. But I would also like that we work more in privately instead of competing for the codex approval, and that we release only one interface here. And also I would like to make clear that I have the final word on how the interface looks. But of course that doesn´t means that you can´t still try things and we can talk about changing something. Many times we will reach a point when we will have two good but different ideas, and I will choose the one I prefer. (ex. The icons: Yours and mine looks very good, but I decide to use mine. Another example, the background: I like mine, but that doesn´t mean that I can tweak it thanks to your suggestions).

Anyway, like I said before, I would like you to continue helping me with the coloring of the interface, and giving me ideas like VD and the rest of the Codex, and I´ll decide what I want to do.

Again I´m sorry if I was rude to you.

So, what do you say? Agreed? Still friends? :)

oltronix

Novice
Yes it has gone back to rosey :lol:

I know I can't wallce in and take over, and I'm not trying to. Didn't mean to make a competition of it. What got to me was the comments that seemd to imply that the things I had done was nothing. So I decided to put my cards on the table, I want some kind of credit for my work or I'll go watch sopranos or somethin instead. =)

I'm glad to be able to help. Air cleared, no more nonsense I'll start on the other interfaces.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Yes it has gone back to rosey :lol:

:lol:

I know I can't wallce in and take over, and I'm not trying to. Didn't mean to make a competition of it.

Ok, got it. And don´t worry about. I should have made my position more clear in the beggining, and avoid all this drama. (Too bad it didn´t last! The Codex loves drama!)

What got to me was the comments that seemd to imply that the things I had done was nothing.

For gods sake don´t think that! It is an amazing job, and what makes it more amazing is that they actually are fancy layers (lot´s of them, I might add!) and they do a hell of a difference.

So I decided to put my cards on the table, I want some kind of credit for my work or I'll go watch sopranos or somethin instead. =)

I´ll make sure that you get credit for it, apart of my praises.

I'm glad to be able to help. Air cleared, no more nonsense I'll start on the other interfaces.

Cool! :D

I´ll give the finishing touches to the main GUI and send it to the guys so they can implement it ingame. :)

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Elhoim said:
Lumpy said:
Ismaul said:
I liek da oltronix's ones better!!111
Only that oltronix's GUI is Elhoim's one with slightly different coloring. R00fles.

Yeah, and if you see the title of the thread still says Elhoim´s Interfaces. After all, I made all the work under all those fancy layers, and I´m the game GUI Designer. So, in essence, it´s a different version of my work.

Also, as I said some posts ago, I´ll tweak the brightness of my version in order to achieve a balance in all lightning conditions.
Bad wording, I should have said oltronix's version. Now, I'm not trying to initiate discord between you two guys. I'm just stating what I feel is better, from an exterior view point, without emotional attachment to the work.

No one is contesting your work, Elhoim. Your effort and perseverance is commendable. At the beggining, it was the ugliest proposition, and wasn't really worth attention. Now I like it, and that says something. But, at some point it stopped being Elhoim's interface, to become AoD's interface. We all want to make it better, so why not work together? I mean, I don't go around saying the icons "boxes" are my idea, or the basic layout of the dialog screen is mine, etc...

I believe that the most important thing now is to set the layout. Once it is done, coloring etc. adjustments can be applied easily. Maybe they can even be swappable/skinnable in the game by switching the image file.

Still, I'd rather have the different versions together on the forum, rather than private. It's the only way you can get the codex's comments and see what's liked to make an educated choice. Would you have considered oltronix's darkening had the codex not jumped in in approval?

Oh, and oltronix
callehe said:
new crisper version is better than comparison

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ismaul said:
But, at some point it stopped being Elhoim's interface, to become AoD's interface. We all want to make it better, so why not work together? I mean, I don't go around saying the icons "boxes" are my idea, or the basic layout of the dialog screen is mine, etc...
Good points, Ismaul.

MountainWest

Scholar
What the hell is this? A Codex fight that lasts only for couple of posts? Good points? Agreement? Understanding? Bah, I was expecting pages upon pages of insults, hurt feelings and great drama!

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
MountainWest said:
What the hell is this? A Codex fight that lasts only for couple of posts? Good points? Agreement? Understanding? Bah, I was expecting pages upon pages of insults, hurt feelings and great drama!

Sorry, it´s my fault. I shouldn´t have invested so many points in diplomacy... :(

Globbi

Augur
Let's just repeat the roll and hope that the skill test fails.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Would you have considered oltronix's darkening had the codex not jumped in in approval?

Actually yes, when I saw that it wasn´t blending very well with the game background. But it´s beyong the point, many times I follow what all of you say and propose (actually TOO many times! :lol:)

Also I learned not to follow you guys all the time. It can be nerve-breaking. :?

Talking about people that did a lot for the interface, Android is one of them. I didn´t follow any of his ideas, but the competition he gave me made this interface what it is today. :)

suibhne

Erudite
Elhoim said:
Sorry, it´s my fault. I shouldn´t have invested so many points in diplomacy... :(

If only this thread were designed like a mainstream RPG! Then you'd still have to fight in the end.

denizsi

Arcane
Item slot on right reminds me of rotten meat. Is that the winged foot again? Hell I despise it. It looks absurd to me. Icons are good.

callehe

Liturgist
just a question about the weapon box coloring. right now the left and right box seem to have different background (texture). if there's going to be color changes, will the texture change too? that's probably going to look kind of weird if the texture changes with the colour.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Elhoim said:
A darker version with more refined icons (I´m actually pixel painting them! Talk about old school!)
It's better. Pixel painting was worth it. Good darkening, unlike last time where darks got darker while highlights stayed the same. Aside from previous criticism, one thing bugs me: the right side of the wooden scroll bar. It doesn't look like wood (the texture). Plus, there's a delimitation at the top, respected on the left side, but not on the right side, making it wierd to discern where the wood stops and where the marble begins. Looks like a mistake. Well, I'm tired of explaining it unsuccessfully with words, so you be the judge.

Elhoim said:
Remember that this gui is in 800x600. Right now mine may look too crisp here, but when in full screen it looks barely defined.
I'd like to see a 800x600 version, so we can evaluate. Link plz.

oltronix

Novice
I don't think we got of scot free. -10 faction reputation for the drama queens, led by the princess of course.

Lumpy

Arcane
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=224
Can anyone remind me just what the fuck was wrong with the initial interface anyway, that lead to this edit war? How is making it darker such a good idea?
And, Ismaul - yes, the Codex provided many ideas for the interface. But it's still Elhoim's work, Elhoim's baby. He's been working on it by himself for 3 months, and for it to become a group project, "their project", in the last hundred meters, doesn't seem quite right.
It's not just about who gets credited. It's about who's work it is. I don't know about Elhoim, but if I worked on something for a long time, I wouldn't want someone to come and edit it, even if he didn't want crediting, because then it would stop being my own work, no matter what the credits said.
Also, oltronix, I like your interface from an artistic standpoint, it's much better that Elhoim's original. But still, as far as gameplay goes, is that change really necessary? Does it actually help more than hurt?

oltronix

Novice
I'm confused. You are questioning the value of artistic polish in an entertainment product?

How does it hurt? The project isn't on hietus in waiting for the GUI is it? If the gui is the only thing holding up the game I say go with whatever is there right now. I don't think that's the case though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom