Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elhoim's Interfaces Main Thread

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
As an artistically challenged person, a few times already I couldn't imagine how the interface could look better. But what oltronix brought to the table really improved the overall look. Guys, set ambitional issues aside and work together in peace and harmony for the good of us all and the future of RPGUIs. :honourblade:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Lumpy said:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=224
Can anyone remind me just what the fuck was wrong with the initial interface anyway, that lead to this edit war? How is making it darker such a good idea?
And, Ismaul - yes, the Codex provided many ideas for the interface. But it's still Elhoim's work, Elhoim's baby. He's been working on it by himself for 3 months, and for it to become a group project, "their project", in the last hundred meters, doesn't seem quite right.
It's not just about who gets credited. It's about who's work it is. I don't know about Elhoim, but if I worked on something for a long time, I wouldn't want someone to come and edit it, even if he didn't want crediting, because then it would stop being my own work, no matter what the credits said.
Also, oltronix, I like your interface from an artistic standpoint, it's much better that Elhoim's original. But still, as far as gameplay goes, is that change really necessary? Does it actually help more than hurt?

Hey Lumpy, it´s all right. I have no trouble of someone coming and doing a nice job on the interface, because I still decide if I want it in or not. As I said, we will always reach a point where we have two equally good but different propositions, and I will choose what I consider best. That´s the power I have over my interface.

Lumpy, I thank you for your support, but don´t worry about it. Even with oll´s great work it´s still my interface, as I still decide what goes in and what not. And his work is his work, of course, and he will be credited for it.

So let´s leave this here and continue working on the interface. I´ll see what I can do with the wood in the main GUI, and I will send oll the blank dialogue screen so he can start applying his "fancy layers" on it (friendly pun! ;))

EDIT: BTW, great comic! :lol:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
It's better. Pixel painting was worth it. Good darkening, unlike last time where darks got darker while highlights stayed the same. Aside from previous criticism, one thing bugs me: the right side of the wooden scroll bar. It doesn't look like wood (the texture). Plus, there's a delimitation at the top, respected on the left side, but not on the right side, making it wierd to discern where the wood stops and where the marble begins. Looks like a mistake. Well, I'm tired of explaining it unsuccessfully with words, so you be the judge.

Thanks, and I will check the wood, especially the one on the right side. Do you think that the pre-oll version looked like wood?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Elwro said:
Guys, set ambitional issues aside and work together in peace and harmony for the good of us all and the future of RPGUIs. :honourblade:
I think they already did. My understanding of the discussion on the previous page is that the result was a Speedy keep, and Move on to the next interface screen.

Elhoim said:
A darker version with more refined icons (I´m actually pixel painting them! Talk about old school!)
It's pretty good, except for one thing (that Ismaul didn't mention): The original eye had a white inside. I'd like that back.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Claw said:
Elhoim said:
A darker version with more refined icons (I´m actually pixel painting them! Talk about old school!)
It's pretty good, except for one thing (that Ismaul didn't mention): The original eye had a white inside. I'd like that back.

It´s still there... You mean on the blue area? Or in the yellow one? Can you point it out? Thanks!

protobob

Liturgist
Elohim's new icons are a big improvement, imho. The hammer and anvil, for instance, actually clearly appear to be a hammer and anvil. Big improvement all around--less blur and more detail.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Elhoim said:
It´s still there... You mean on the blue area? Or in the yellow one? Can you point it out? Thanks!
No, it's not. I was referring to the eyeball. Actually, looking at the old icons again, it appears to have been mostly sheen. There used to be a hint of white in the left corner, though.
The eye just looks less natural now, somehow. *shrugs*

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Elhoim said:
Do you think that the pre-oll version looked like wood?
Not more than now, really (speaking of the right side, the rest is fine). I even think the color is better now. Texture looks worse, though. And the delimitation between "wood" and marble/brick was better defined pre-ol, maybe because of color contrast. Now it seems that, at the bottom of the scrollbar, still on the right side, the limit is very near the scrollbar itself, while at the top it dissolves in the background.

Claw said:
The eye just looks less natural now, somehow. *shrugs*
I think it's the whole blue part of the eye that is less natural because it got darker. We don't see blue eyes that dark IRL. It was fine in pre-ol. And while we're at it, IMO the yellow-orange around the eyeball looks a bit flat now. More highlights are needed for this specific icon because of the darkening. Look at ol's last one for reference, I think the yellorange was well highlighted on it.

Edit: A final plea for a centralized combat toggle, since almost no one noticed, and those that did liked it.

mainguicombatsmalltw1.jpg

mainguicombatbigswordse2.jpg

mainguicombatbigswordonad9.jpg

Joff1981

Educated
Project: Eternity
I'm going to put my vote behind the centralized combat toggle again. Out of those three I like the last one best, but I think that any of them make the interface look nicer.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
:lol:

OK, I want everyone to tell me what you think of Ismaul´s idea. I had already sent the interface for implementation, but I might do this last change.

So post what you think about it, whether good or bad.

Thanks!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Elhoim said:
Spacemoose said:
and we want to know if you're a girl or not

No, I´m not.
A true role-player would have said "Yes. Yes, I am. I'm a girl of your dreams and I get so wet just thinking of you, handsome".

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
So role-player is a girl? :)

I like the middle one best. Esthetically the central combat button is more pleasing, and from the logic of the interface it makes sense. The missing floppy is just an oversight, right?

The_Pope

Scholar
The one with the full height indentation looks best to me. I'm guessing the menu button (not entirely happy with the disk, I thought the codex didn't like breaking immersion for silly game/pop culture references) would replace the now redundant extra combat button along the top bar.

protobob

Liturgist
Centralized combat toggle:

Only thing I worry about is that a) its in between to buttons I may possibly be clicking a lot. While it is pleasing to the eye for it to sit there, to me, functionally, it needs to be somewhere else. If I think of this interface as a message to me as a player, it's not telling me a consistent message about what the function of that button or the function of the weapon slots are.

It's like putting a period. in the middle of a sentence; it's bad syntax.

Function should win over form.

suibhne

Erudite
I'm with protobob on this, but you already know that.

Of the three, the last one is a problem because it's a toggle button that looks different from every other toggle button in the interface. Bad toggle button, BAD. I have the same basic problem with the second one; it's a button, but it's aping the layout of the HP/AP panels (or very close). The first one at least makes sense, but it looks the worst out of the three. So, imo, you can't win with this approach. :wink:

Just keep in mind that there's no real value (other than aesthetic, but there's obviously disagreement even on that) in symmetricality for an interface, unless the use pattern will also be symmetrical. And that's pretty rare, and certainly not true in this case.

Fryjar

Augur
Hm, I'm for the old layout, the button in the middle seems out of place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom