Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elhoim's Interfaces Main Thread

Rina

Scholar
Elhoim said:
A darker version with more refined icons (I´m actually pixel painting them! Talk about old school!)

I love that. :oops:

protobob

Liturgist
Try this:

Put the sword button where the disc button is, then shift the top icons all one slot to the left, and put the disc icon where the map icon now.

so it would be:

Top: eye, boots, hand, picks, itsatrap,anvil, potion, scroll, chest, map, disc
bottom: health, slot a, slot b, ap, sword

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Got wood?
More than you can handle, bubba.

On the far right there is a crack below the icon. I don't like this fix it plz.
Main-gui-clean1problem.gif

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Funny. Full blown disagreement.
A lilltle bit of refutation in the proposition's defense:

protobob said:
Function should win over form.
Kingston said:
Its better when you know the bottom part is for combat and the upper part everything else.

suibhne said:
Of the three, the last one is a problem because it's a toggle button that looks different from every other toggle button in the interface.
And rightly so. The others open interfaces, while this one initiates a gameplay state: combat. Different forms for different functions is very intuitive.

Finally, current looks are placeholders to illustrate the design idea, which is what you should judge. Final looks will be Elhoim's.

And, Elhoim, sorry for the extra hassle. :P

suibhne

Erudite
Ismaul said:
suibhne said:
Of the three, the last one is a problem because it's a toggle button that looks different from every other toggle button in the interface.
And rightly so. The others open interfaces, while this one initiates a gameplay state: combat. Different forms for different functions is very intuitive.

Well, but...I'm assuming (and may be wrong) that not all of the other icons will open distinct interfaces, as you suggest. For example, Sneak is a toggle just like Combat, no? Search may be as well. What you're advocating is to create two classes of icon that don't actually coincide with the two (or more) classes of action, which I find more confusing than having a single class of icon for all actions (whether they toggle a state or engage a distinct interface). It's also worth noting that, as far as I can tell, the current design groups the modal icons together, which is useful organization.

Put more simply, I'm not sure why the modal state of "combat" should require that I click on a separate icon which doesn't look like any other icon, but other modal states like "Search" or "Sneak" are actually in line with the icons for non-modal states.

Put even more simply, it seems like you're privileging combat as gameplay, and I'm hoping AoD will get away from that. :wink:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You got a point there. But still, the main idea stands, that different functions should be presented in different forms to be more intuitive. But, going all the way with Search, Sneak, Steal, Lockpick and Traps as different toggles might not be an option for the current interface, a redesign is not gonna happen. So, since the bottom part seems to be all about combat anyways except saving (which doesn't even work in combat), I find my proposition logical.

protobob said:
Try this:

Put the sword button where the disc button is, then shift the top icons all one slot to the left, and put the disc icon where the map icon now.
Here you go:

mainguicombatrsmallsf5.jpg

mainguicombatrbigau8.jpg

mainguicombatraloneym9.jpg

protobob

Liturgist
Ismaul said:
protobob said:
Try this:

Here you go:

mainguicombatrbigau8.jpg

mainguicombatraloneym9.jpg

Yeah, something like that. Just put the disc icon up top in the re-sorted icons up there.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I don´t know, it looks too contrasting, and you are forgeting the midddle one ;)

But don´t worry about this one, as I´m eager to see the dialogue screen! :D

denizsi

Arcane
I don't want to move the cursor all the way down to bottom-right corner for combat. It's the furthest position in the interface, so the least used button should go there.

suibhne

Erudite
denizsi said:
I don't want to move the cursor all the way down to bottom-right corner for combat. It's the furthest position in the interface, so the least used button should go there.

I like the Disk icon there for two reasons:

1. It's the most distinct conceptually; it's the only icon relating to out-of-game activities.
2. It will only need to be accessed once for each play game load, at least once you've set up prefs to your liking.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Elhoim said:
I don´t know, it looks too contrasting, and you are forgeting the midddle one ;)
That's the one I was specifically talking about.

About combat toggle position. IMO, the best option is this one, to keep combat related stuff on the bottom row, for symmetry and to have the combat toggle distinct from others (that's why this option is better than those with the usual box around the toggle).

mainguicombatbigswordonad9.jpg

Also, what denizsi said is true. Having the combat toggle on the right side makes it too far, unless combat is toggled automatically à la Fallout. So I think it's either center or forget about this altogether.

denizsi

Arcane
I think it's time you replaced some of the screenshots at the site with some of the revised interface shots, VD. I don't think it matters that nothing is finalised. Just "breath" some colour into the screenshots of the game at the official site. Also, if you are doing any interviews soon, you might think about giving such revised screenshots as well, they do change the look a lot. Call it graphic whorism, but giving people something new and tasteful to look at can only help, attract more people.

One Wolf

Scholar
denizsi said:
I think it's time you replaced some of the screenshots at the site with some of the revised interface shots, VD. I don't think it matters that nothing is finalised. Just "breath" some colour into the screenshots of the game at the official site. Also, if you are doing any interviews soon, you might think about giving such revised screenshots as well, they do change the look a lot. Call it graphic whorism, but giving people something new and tasteful to look at can only help, attract more people.

Seconded with a vengeance.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Nooo, PR is teh evil! Replace all screenshots with Commander Keen in CGA color screens, so that only the hardcore ever gets to know about the game.

Fez

Erudite
I like it more than the old one. It is more on a par with the BG games now.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Commander Keen was an awesome series, so I resent your comment, good sir.

Severian Silk

A comment and a question.

Question: The interface currently looks pretty good. Can I have your permission to upload a copy to wikipedia?

Comment: The sprites for the held weapons look kind of washed out when layered on top of the interface. Could you maybe post an example with a black line drawn around the weapon?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Mikail said:

Question: The interface currently looks pretty good. Can I have your permission to upload a copy to wikipedia?

Of the screenshots? Yeah, why not.

Mikail said:
Comment: The sprites for the held weapons look kind of washed out when layered on top of the interface. Could you maybe post an example with a black line drawn around the weapon?

Right now I´m kinda busy, but maybe I´ll try that later. :)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Mikail said:

You have my permission to upload anything you want.

Will try to post something later on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom