Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Enjoying this a shitload.

Making decent money doing data delivery + some trading, everything going ok.

Except, I can't count the amount of times I forgot to take on a mission but still flew to it's destination. Jesus Christ.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Since it has planetary landing and exploration now and they seem to add POIs, alien life and other stuff to gawk or shoot at on the planet/moon surfaces I can't wait any longer.
Bought it and am looking very much forward to playing an all-out improved remake of Frontier: First Encounters (I never gave a single fuck about the original Elite but I love Frontier).
Dis gonna be fun! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Just let him try, if he likes it doesnt matter what it is.

it's an elite remake, not frontier 2.

It's not a remake either. Rather a different game 30 years later but with the same universe and similar gameplay.

When I tried Oolite 10 years ago, that would qualify as a remake.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Friends let friends play whatever they want and they don't want to force their own taste on friends.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
This is exactly what I'm doing too atm. Mostly because I have no clue about what to do and how to earn comparable money otherwise.

I'm also struggling with the controls. Something tells me that I should stick with the XBox 360 controller rather than trying kb & mouse but I still need to find a control scheme that I'm comfortable with.
Died for the first time because for some reason the default advanced gamepad scheme has "tap right stick" for toggling between free view and maneuvering thrusters.
Before it even dawned on me what I did wrong I was already dead.
:deadtroll:

I like the faction warfare systems or Powerplay btw. What I don't like is that it seems like only collaborative efforts of a lot of players really make a difference and influence the outcome of wars and the expansion of their favorite faction. I wanna be able to do the same on my own.
Am playing in Single Player since I'm a rookie doing his first baby steps and I doubt that I would have fun playing with or against others anyway. Wished there was a way to download the universe from their servers and go offline completely. I want my own Powerplay without pros aka unemployed people screwing things up.
And I want more story bits. And things worth exploring at the edge of known space. Mysteries, Thargoids, the ruins of ancient alien civilizations, stuff like that.
That nice little political game they added alone can't replace that.

Btw, is it useful to read the ingame GalNet newsfeeds for finding profitable trade routes? Like this system is at war so they surely need weapons or medicine. I'd like that.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is exactly what I'm doing too atm. Mostly because I have no clue about what to do and how to earn comparable money otherwise.

I'm also struggling with the controls. Something tells me that I should stick with the XBox 360 controller rather than trying kb & mouse but I still need to find a control scheme that I'm comfortable with.
Died for the first time because for some reason the default advanced gamepad scheme has "tap right stick" for toggling between free view and maneuvering thrusters.
Before it even dawned on me what I did wrong I was already dead.
:deadtroll:

I like the faction warfare systems or Powerplay btw. What I don't like is that it seems like only collaborative efforts of a lot of players really make a difference and influence the outcome of wars and the expansion of their favorite faction. I wanna be able to do the same on my own.
Am playing in Single Player since I'm a rookie doing his first baby steps and I doubt that I would have fun playing with or against others anyway. Wished there was a way to download the universe from their servers and go offline completely. I want my own Powerplay without pros aka unemployed people screwing things up.
And I want more story bits. And things worth exploring at the edge of known space. Mysteries, Thargoids, the ruins of ancient alien civilizations, stuff like that.
That nice little political game they added alone can't replace that.

Btw, is it useful to read the ingame GalNet newsfeeds for finding profitable trade routes? Like this system is at war so they surely need weapons or medicine. I'd like that.
I haven't played Powerplay yet, but I read that it is broken right now, and Frontier is not hurrying to fix it. You can find alien ruins on planets if you start exploring. You can also find long lost satellites, ships and shit.

As for GalNet, i only read if for the lore, and I'm not even sure that it talks about economic states and trade routes. But maybe I've just missed it.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
I think I'm already addicted to this game. Even in its unfinished state it's such a great time waster.
Physics simulation is of course utter shit but whatever, I'm kinda glad that you can fly around in super-duper-cruise instead of having to use auto navigation systems all the time like in Elite 2.

Combat is fantastic so far. I got killed maybe a dozen times by now, but I'm getting better at it.
I still don't know if I should practice flight assist off + boost to optimize my turn rate btw. Some of these small fighter crafts are really difficult to aim at even with gimballed weapons since I rarely get on their tail long enough. But then again FA off turns me into a sitting duck and against 2 or more enemies using it might be a bad idea...
Not that I would be able to survive against 3 or more enemies anyway.

edit: Practiced Flight Assist Off combined with boost. It gives you no better turn rate compared to the one in the middle of the blue speed indicator. I guess the advantage is that with boost and generally higher speed you get hit less.
At least I hope so, might as well have the opposite effect since you spend less time circling around your enemy so he might get more chances to fire at you...
Will practice it in combat and see for myself.

I also like the mission variety and how missions fit the goals and character of the factions offering them. The systems in this game are shaping up to become pretty fabulous I think.

Pledged alliance to Archon Delaine and am halfway on my way to his home system.
I wanna be a pirate.
Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me!
OFSJun2.png

Death to the empire! Down with the Federation! Alliance is for pussies, we seek true independence!

Ahem, one thing I still can't figure out is if there is an easier way to find the ship graveyards in salvage missions. These missions always send me to some planet and then I'm just flying around in supercruise near it searching for unknown signal sources. Which is irritating, I want a quest compass.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
Hey guys. Any info when the 2.2 update is out? I dont want to play before that

nope. since it's been in beta for almost 2 weeks and these things usually run for 2-4 weeks, unless they have some other big plans for testing they have yet to announce, i'm betting either next friday or tuesday the 11th (with the second being more likely).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I think I'm already addicted to this game. Even in its unfinished state it's such a great time waster.
Physics simulation is of course utter shit but whatever, I'm kinda glad that you can fly around in super-duper-cruise instead of having to use auto navigation systems all the time like in Elite 2.

Combat is fantastic so far. I got killed maybe a dozen times by now, but I'm getting better at it.
I still don't know if I should practice flight assist off + boost to optimize my turn rate btw. Some of these small fighter crafts are really difficult to aim at even with gimballed weapons since I rarely get on their tail long enough. But then again FA off turns me into a sitting duck and against 2 or more enemies using it might be a bad idea...

edit: Practiced Flight Assist Off combined with boost. It gives you no better turn rate compared to the one in the middle of the blue speed indicator. I guess the advantage is that with boost and generally higher speed you get hit less.
At least I hope so, might as well have the opposite effect since you spend less time circling around your enemy so he might get more chances to fire at you...

I also like the mission variety and how missions fit the goals and character of the factions offering them. The systems in this game are shaping up to become pretty fabulous I think.

I wanna be a pirate.
OFSJun2.png

Death to the empire! Down with the Federation! Alliance is for pussies, we seek true independence!

Ahem, one thing I still can't figure out is if there is an easier way to find the ship graveyards in salvage missions. These missions always send me to some planet and then I'm just flying around in supercruise near it searching for unknown signal sources. Which is irritating, I want a quest compass.
Nice to see you are a having a fun with the game too.

The main adventage of Flight Assist Off is not the better turn rate, but the higher efficency of the thrusters. With Flight Assist Off they are only pulling a fracktion of their maximum thrust. This helps to circle around targets, but it is very difficult to learn. In the end, what the pro players say that the combination of FA ON and OFF is the best way to go. Using FA OFF all them time is not that efficient and just needlessly complicates combat.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Most of the time the game looks more elegantly designed than actually beautiful.
But every now and then there is something to marvel at.

My first earth-like planet (they are extremely rare as it seems):
ChGHEz4.jpg

Day and night side obviously.
I wonder if they will ever do procedural surface generation for these types of planets. Not very likely I guess.

Burning Bridges

There are a lot of Earth like planets.
You need to pay more attention to the population size. Many stars are only outposts with a few thousand or million, but if you see billions it's definitely Earth like and has a massive economy.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Guess I'm not seeing any (except for that one I posted screenshots of) because I high tailed it to Archon Delaine territory immediately. Didn't visit Sol or lurk around in Federation or Empire space for too long.

Burning Bridges

Ok, that will be the reason. I still stay within the bubble around Sol, because I get confused if I have flown to more than 100 stars. And I like places like Ross 860 where I can get infinite amounts of slaves.

Suchy

Arcane

I wanna be a pirate.
OFSJun2.png

Nice to see you are a having a fun with the game too.

The main adventage of Flight Assist Off is not the better turn rate, but the higher efficency of the thrusters. With Flight Assist Off they are only pulling a fracktion of their maximum thrust. This helps to circle around targets, but it is very difficult to learn. In the end, what the pro players say that the combination of FA ON and OFF is the best way to go. Using FA OFF all them time is not that efficient and just needlessly complicates combat.
Exactly that. I'm flying a Vulture, and since it's a very agile ship, for the most part I manage to keep my targets within aim radius and FA on. However if I bump on a faster ship (not more agile, but faster - like Cobra Mk. III), they try to boost away, turn back and go full head-on-head joust on me. This is when I switch FA off for just a few seconds, while already turning and pushing bottom thrusters at the same time. I usually manage to get them back in sights before they even start turning towards me again.

Ok, that will be the reason. I still stay within the bubble around Sol, because I get confused if I have flown to more than 100 stars. And I like places like Ross 860 where I can get infinite amounts of slaves.

i was thinking about going back to playing, maybe even buying the expansion. point is: do you know any other interesting place, possibly in imperial space? nothing too exploity, just something like "a pirate system near federal, imperial and alliance systems" or "buy this cheap here and sell it expensive to its neighbour" are fine.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Ok, that will be the reason.
Nah, seems like I was a bit unlucky with my flight route. There are indeed a lot of earth-like planets. I'm seeing more of them now that I do Powerplay (transporting slaves from controlled systems to Harma - fortification), since many of the controlled systems have very high population.

I'm flying a Type 6 freighter atm. Loving that ship. It's fast and can run away from enemies without problems (FA off erratic corkscrew flight pattern helps too) and it can jump huge distances. Good for trading and mining, so I can earn the money I need for that Asp Explorer.
I think I'll do a bit of mining next, already tried it but without prospector limpets the payoff isn't good enough.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

It would be cool if you could hire your own crew and they leveled up.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
It would be cool if you could hire your own crew and they leveled up.
You will be able to hire your AI pilots who level up in the next update. And maybe when multicrew comes in 2.3, you will be able to hire other type of crew as well.

Severian Silk

Will the game ever have a story? I'm a storyfag. I loved IWar2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom