Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Stokowski

Arcane
If you don't wish to be corrected, stop making mistakes.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
So if you played Elite on a C64, you played it on a "38k" system.

Bank switching. You could swap out parts of the system that you didn't need (BASIC, disk access, other stuff) and gain access to the memory that was mapped to the same address. It certainly wasn't a 38k system. I think the only part that couldn't be swapped out was the screen memory.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Then let me respond to one of your absolutely superfluous posts from last page.

What purpose does a racing game mechanic serve in a non-racing game?

What does it not? Has it occured to you that the game makes no sense whatsoever one way or the other? You earn millions of credits by playing a trucker in space, delivering fish, algae and biowaste to stars dozens of light years away, flying 3,000 times the speed of light because flight times over 5 minutes are unacceptable, and occasionally get 2 minute timers in which the crap must be delivered if you want your bonus. I had a hell of a job making any sense of this game, and my least problem was the little travelling between planets. As I said, just keep the timer always at 10 seconds and you will not overshoot.

But a discussion about the memory on the C64 is totally gonna invalidate this.

Stokowski

Arcane
You appear to have cognitive difficulties.

You keep answering the question "how is the minigame played?" which no-one asked. Such behaviour is an example of the superfluous, a word you don't appear to understand.

As to the actual question "why was this bafflingly stupid mechanic included in the release?", you offer no answer but "shit is weird" while referring to aspects of the setting rather than the game mechanic in question.

You also appear to think the C64's memory is a matter of "discussion" when it is verifiable history.

Good sir, if I may trouble you with one other question: can I please have some of the drugs you take?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Minigame? WTF?

Braking is the logical consequence of acceleration, which has become adjusted for instant gratification, by giving you "unlimited speed". Other than that travelling works the same like it always did in Elite, in which the travel times to stars were so long you normally never went there. I mean, you must be able to realize that Elite was conceived during a time when no one knew computer games that were not arcade. Gameplay had to be action oriented by default. I dont even know what you expect, realism? LOL, the genre is unrealistic as can be.

So to answer your question a second time. I don't have insider information why they didn't give you access to instant travelling between stations. But I guess it has to do with the fact that this game also has an action part, which is played with a joystick.

Morkar Left

It's NOT about instant travelling or realism. It's about a game insulting someones intelligence and stealing time by letting you literally just stare on your screen till you reach the green spot, no action required. Why not automate the reentry into normal space? Leave you time to check the galaxy map, reading news and com chatter, scan enemies or at least browsing the internet and let you take a piss. In other words; let you do something remotely fun or useful.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's NOT about instant travelling or realism. It's about a game insulting someones intelligence and stealing time by letting you literally just stare on your screen till you reach the green spot, no action required. Why not automate the reentry into normal space? Leave you time to check the galaxy map, reading news and com chatter, scan enemies or at least browsing the internet and let you take a piss. In other words; let you do something remotely fun or useful.
I totally agree.
But since this is a multiplayer game and other players can interdict you while travelling to a planet, if you could just let the game on autopilot and take a piss, your ship could be destroyed by the time you come back.

Morkar Left

But since this is a multiplayer game and other players can interdict you while travelling to a planet, if you could just let the game on autopilot and take a piss, your ship could be destroyed by the time you come back.

You can play in solo mode if you don't want to meet other cmdrs. But you can still get interdicted from npcs. I would see this as a feature. In dangerous space you hace to pay more attention. Additionally there could be a proximity alert.

praetor

Arcane
it's not a problem that it's a multiplayer game. the problem is that FDev fucking suck at designing multiplayer games. hell, it would be a stretch to call this a multiplayer game since the multi mechanics are so fucking utter shit, and the instancing is so beyond bad it boggles the mind. it's like they couldn't decide if they wanted to do a multi or singleplayer game, then said fuck it and took the worst parts of both. it's a singleplayer game with shitty grindy F2P MMO mechanics tacked on where you can meet other players once in a blue moon

which makes the whole thing even worse. the "realspace" flight mechanics are brilliant, easily the best they've been in the series and by far the best flight model (out of the non-realistic space "sims"), the atmosphere is really good, the graphics are pretty, the visual design is great, the sound design is absolutely fantastic, the setting is awesome, the idea behind most stuff is great. but the execution of all the mechanics (bar the flight model) are so, so bad :( no other game has made me so angry before. probably because i didn't care one iota about games that sucked, but i want this game to be good, but they have no talent in-house currently to actually make it good

sorry for the rant

DraQ

Arcane
Meanwhile in Frontier the autopilot could do an entire milkrun by itself after you jumped into a system, including requesting landing permission and landing itself as long as there were no complications.
And that's without any sort of magic interplanetary FTL.
:smug:

Perkel

Arcane
Just bought it because i want to try some space game in VR.

Is this shit like at beginning ? I am yet to shell out money for horizons but i don't see reason to buy it as it apparently only gives you ability to land on planets.

praetor

Arcane

Is this shit like at beginning ? I am yet to shell out money for horizons but i don't see reason to buy it as it apparently only gives you ability to land on planets.

there's also engineers (shit), ship launched fighters (meh) and multicrew (utter shit). unless you really really want to go to planets to drive the rover (it's pretty boring), skip it. if they ever make pieces of Horizons purchasable standalone, the planets could be worth 3-4$

Kitchen Utensil

Low altitude flying/canyon running is one of the things which make Elite Dangerous kinda worthwhile. I imagine it being glorious in VR.

Perkel

Arcane
HOT DAMN HOT DAMN HOT DAMN...

I just started playing it (elite) and VR mode is absolutely stunning (for now training mode)

First thing.. I am in a fucking ship, no for real. It feels like i am in that ship. I mean i kind of expected that but not fucking like this. I look down at my "body" and i see my foots hands etc and it feels "real". Cockpit has depth to it like i would sit there.

Secondly space and planets. Holy shit^2. One thing is for something to look good but completely different thing is to feel good. Planets, stations, ships feel absolutely massive.

Then there is headtracking. Not only it is used to look around but also it is used to for targeting. Want to check map ? just turn your head left and you can access map, Want to mark some planet ? Just look at it and press button.

Then there is game itself. I am impressed with flight model. I am honestly thinking right now about buying some proper joystick. I once had Saitek one for Apache VS havok back in the day but game like this trully would feel fantastic with it...

Assetto Corsa already impressed me in VR and like Elite you sit in cockpit but Elite does something that is waaaay beyond in therms of being real that Asetto Corsa. IDK what it is maybe their fiddling with 3D is just superior of those guys from Kunos.

-------------------------

So far Elite Dangerous is simply the best showcase for VR. Just flying past planet and gaping at it throught your roof shield is something beautiful to see. Not just because it looks good but because it feels real. That you are actually in cockpit off that ship flying near planet.

So far my best of VR would be :

#01 Elite : Dangerous
#02 Assetto Corsa
#03 Fallout New Vegas
#04 Dragon's Dogma

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I just read the last coupled pages and want to just state one point - If I play a game for 20 hours I feel it was a decent game worth the purchase. If you play a game for 40 + hours and state you dislike it you have way too much time on your hands and are not smart. If you play a game for 100 or 200 hours and dislike it you are a full blown functioning retard and obviously do not work and probably an SSD champion scamming the system.

Perkel

Arcane
can you hire npc wingmen ?
what about trading ? Are there any cap ships i can hire to trade stuff like in X games ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom