Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Suchy

Arcane
Ok, so I've decided to do the final run (for a long time, bye bye grinding), high paid missions are still there.

994632E77A1BE7F639624C3A890B97B22196CA65

Edit: and looks like payment cap has been increased, just accepted a 38 mln mission, which means systems around 36 Ophiuchi are most likely worth checking. I guess you could get 30+ mln contracts even when cordial.

Last edited:

Suchy

Arcane
I'm playing with X52 HOTAS, wouldn't switch to K&M. Then again, when playing in VR, K&M is not an option really.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Will playing with a Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS Controller make this better than with K&M?
Playing flight/space sims with a joystick, especially a HOTAS is always better than K+M, so yes. You have to keep your keyboard at hand anyway to map some of the functions. But controlling the ship with an analog input is so much better.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
A joystick yes, but I think a Hotass is not really mandatory for Elite.

I learned that small adjustments to thrust are much more precise keeping with the keyboard. which is important during mining asteroids when you want to keep your ship absolutely still.

On the other hand I can use those wheels on the hotass for vertical / lateral thrust, which makes the VTOL parts a breeze.

Will playing with a Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS Controller make this better than with K&M?

Theoretically yes, but do you really want to throw away 100+ bucks for this piece of crap?

Resale value is zero, whereas a Warthog can even rise in value. I actually hope my Saitek breaks down so I can finally justify getting this sexy dildo for my hands.

HotasWarthog800x600.jpg

Burning Bridges

Ok, so I've decided to do the final run (for a long time, bye bye grinding), high paid missions are still there.

994632E77A1BE7F639624C3A890B97B22196CA65

Edit: and looks like payment cap has been increased, just accepted a 38 mln mission, which means systems around 36 Ophiuchi are most likely worth checking. I guess you could get 30+ mln contracts even when cordial.

OK Thanks!
rating_salute.gif

I flew to Upsilon Aquarii and collected passengers worth 42 million while still at Neutral status.

Prices per passenger from 0.42 to 0.74 million.

Not so great:

the game didn't give out any more missions after I reached about 2/3 of my capacity (I assume it would only generate new missions after I log out for 10-20 minutes)
some people changed their destination during the flight - since the contract is limited to 2h and less it will be impossible to fullfil

The good:

this is still a lot more money than I could make in any other profession. Flight time is approx. 40 minutes = ~ 1 million CR per minute :lol:

Since these are my first passengers (the slaves dont count) I have been very lenient to the fuckers and turned the heating and gravity to low/medium. They also have a lot of space. And in case they still complain, I showed them the red cargo hatch button.

I am a human trafficker now, the lowest scum of the Earth

Burning Bridges

Just in case you need money or want find ways to break the game. I can confirm that Suchy's method works.

Trip1 79 passengers 43 million
Trip2 102 passengers 67 million

Takes about 40 minutes per trip = 1-1.5 million per minute. Though the process is kind of retarded, it's as much money as I made in 300 hours before.

And even if you have not a very good ship, you could make 10-20 million with just a Type 6.

Mortmal

Arcane
Though the process is kind of retarded, it's as much money as I made in 300 hours before.

And even if you have not a very good ship, you could make 10-20 million with just a Type 6.
Thats what i thought as well, better to use this method and completely skip the grind, no gameplay of value is lost. The only reason to get money is to have enough cash to not even bother anymore and pvp with everything.

Burning Bridges

No problem, I think we all know what we are doing. We grinded and grinded and then grinded some more. Now we are entitled to a lot of money.

I am also not playing this because gameplay is fun. If it was for that I would have shelved it long ago.

The only fun in this game is discovering new records in money making, exploiting the game, MCR/min efficiency, grind, grind, grind, performance improvement, breaking new records every hour. I just want to break the fucking game and turn every of its retarded mechanics into a machine to make money :argh:

Currently calculating profits in Excel sheets while Elite Dangerous runs in the background, and my Gaddafi Profit Liner makes another 100 mil. This time I crammed the whole passenger space with schmucks, they had to be stacked on top of each other to fit in.

Burning Bridges

Beluga Liner From Hell

The passengers waited in a long queue but they were in good mood.

They were refugees looking for their chance of a second life on LTT 9360, the elusive planet that spaceships never reached.

For most of them the flight was the only option. Tickets were not cheap - from 500,000 to 1,5 million credits - but they were all glad they got one.

From the terminal everything had looked all right. The ship was a brand new Beluga liner. If the line could operate such modern ships the service could not be so bad, could it?

Inside, all looked very dark and a lot of stuff was missing. The passengers looked a bit surprised when they saw that all escape pods had been removed. They were told there was only one for the captain and the crew, but they were not needed anyway because this journey would be a piece of cake.

YAKS78g.jpg

The truth is that the line had taken a huge financial gamble. The new Beluga Liner cost over 150 million credits that had been a reinvestment of the previous profits.

The already totally inadequate class 6 shield has been removed, sold and replaced with 32 extra seats for a total of 174. Which was pushing the absolute theoretical limit for this class.

Only a little bit had been done to reinforce the hull, but it was clear that any major collision or attack would result in a major desaster.

They had gambled that a liner would finance itself after 2 journeys and if it completed just 1 they could afford a total loss.

8ZHa5Cq.jpg

The passengers passed through the cramped, dark tunnel into the cargo hold, and some caught a glimpse through the cockpit door. They could see a bald and very unfriendly man, obviously the commander. He was eating some kind of sandwich and drinking from a whisky bottle. His boots were on the instrument panel, crumbs and mayonaise dripped on the cockpit.

WxZV0J2.jpg

When some woman with their children wanted to look inside, he raised his scarred, ugly face and made a quick, condescending gesture towards the exit.

The steward, a girlish looking transvestite with makeup grabbed the woman by the arm, pulled her back in line and said

"Hey, man, you don't talk to the Colonel. You listen to him. The man's enlarged my mind. He's a poet warrior in the classic sense. I mean sometimes he'll... uh... well, you'll say "hello" to him, right? And he'll just walk right by you. He won't even notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in a corner, and he'll say, "Do you know that 'if' is the middle word in life? If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you"... I mean I'm... no, I can't... I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's... he's a great man! I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...
I mean .. dont you dare talk to him! He's having pretty bad mood swings already, he's having them all the time.

One time I was disturbing him in the cockpit when he was sobbing over a dead fly and he said he is gonna kill me the next time.

Now go to your seat and don't move until the light goes on again."

bwZBuk2.jpg

Well, at least the pilot knew how to fly. And fly he did!

Immediately on exiting the station he slammed the throttle open, all engines came on like hell breaking loose and for the first time the passengers felt the crushing g-forces.

A moan went through the cargo hold as if hundreds of tightly pressed lips were crying in agony at the same time.

Then the heating switched off because the engines needed all available power. The steward slammed shut the cockpit door, locked it from inside, and switched off the lighting as well.

It was quiet, the people were alone with their fear and the silence of space. Only from the cockpit you sometimes heard laughter, and sometimes yelling followed by the sound of someone getting bitch slapped.

Endless hours elapsed, interrupted by landings on other stations to pick up more passengers that never seemed to end.

z99pUfu.jpg

What came now - the 45 minute acceleration through the LTT 9360 system - was the worst. The passengers huddled on the floor, some prayed, others just stared in hopeless resignation.

Only after an eternity, when the ship started decelerating, they knew their orderal would finally be over.

8fsyutl.jpg

The pilot siwtched on the docking computer and the ship took some more hull damage. It settled down violently and the journey was over.

When the captain opened the cockpit there was steam coming out like from a sauna. When he walked through the rows of passengers who looked up like they had just seen death, he said "You have 10 minutes to get out of my ship" and "God is it cold in here" and shook his head in disgust.

A young man came forward and asked "did you have to go 1300 times speed of light the whole time, only to arrive a few minutes earlier, was this worth it? look at my knees they are bleeding."

The commander seemed very irritated: "Do you know how many offers I turned down to sell you into slavery? But they never offered enough so I had a good heart. Now GTFO off my ship you maggot."

The young man leaped forward and smashed him in the face. The pilot started screaming like a girl, "police! police! I'm being assaulted!! help me" Cops came and dragged the man away, and lead the remaining people out of their prison.

9ulbynQ.jpg

When the conditions became known the authorities at Smeaton Orbital wanted to seize the ship, but the Beluga Profit Liner had already left and dumped 1000 canisters of biowaste inside the station.

It later became known that funds in the range of 350 million credits had been transferred to the account of the ship owner within the last 48 hours.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Ok so by Suchy's method my personal record in earning is now 110 million in 1 trip, in roughly an hour.

One deviation that I recommend is to stop logging in and out of the board when the missions stop coming. Instead I make a trip to GD 1192 where there will be more missions generated.

Last time this worked great with just 3 times checking the board on both stations, once fore singleplayer/private group/open play. There seems to be some kind of protection in the game and if you look in and out 30 times you only get the missions that are spawned after a fix time delay, which could be 10 minutes and more.

So better go to GD 1192 or some other station nearby, and fill up your passenger space quickly.

I did this in a Python by the way. The Beluga is rubbish, there are some stupid restrictions on it and I could not fill it up either. Getting 170 passengers within 1 hour turned out way too many, and I had to cancel all interdiction missions which set me back almost to zero. I already sold that piece of crap. Lost 20 million just by selling it but I am making such big money right now, it doesn't even matter. The Python however is fine for human trafficking.

The 2nd tip is that you don't absolutely need to befriend the local factions. Suchy's screenshot shows a mission that pays 26 millions for 19 passengers. I got nearly the same with just Neutral/Cordial, i.e. from 400K to 1.5 million per passenger.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I still get the kicks when I enter this thread and see something like "top speed: 197m/s".
:lol:
I mean, FFS!
I also still get the kicks when I enter this thread and see your autistic response. I get it, you are butthurt because there is no Newtonian physics.

Burning Bridges

Also. 300 m/s is 1080 km/h not even the speed of sound.

So measuring the speed of spaceships in m/s is indeed completely retarded.

But who said it wasn't. The whole game is basically retarded with a capital R. If ferrying scrap metal from star A to star B is not retarded enough, only a complete retard would imagine it to become like driving home a truck during rush hour.

DraQ

Arcane
Also. 300 m/s is 1080 km/h not even the speed of sound.
This.

Now, I can understand why someone might want to cap speed in their "space" "simulator". Don't get me wrong, I would not condone it - it's fundamentally misguided if you so much as attempt to pretend that your game is anything more than slightly upgraded arcade scrolling shootan, but there are reasons that might even seem semi-legitimate if you squint hard enough:
  • maybe your players are all retarded and can't handle uncapped velocities - anything resembling dogfight is generally going to need relative velocities somewhere below 1km/s, so if your players can't be counted on to keep their speed manageable, you might want to cap it
  • maybe your gameplay designers are all retarded and they can't think of anything to keep speeding away like madman from being I WIN button
  • maybe your programmers are all retarded and they can't ensure that your engine behaves in a sane manner for any velocities realistically achievable by a player OR can't make an AI that can convincingly pretend to cope with Newtonian physics (hi I-War2!)
That's all fine and dandy - ok, I lied, that's still shameful and horrible, but at least you have a half-baked excuse.
The thing is:
  • 197m/s is pathetically slow for a spaceship. It's pathetically slow even for a fighter aircraft. It's grossly inappropriate, just like a suit of full plate armour weighing one milligram or a sword weighing seven fucking tons would be grossly inappropriate for even the most fantasy RPG.
  • What follows is: you shouldn't flaunt your pathetic failure at numbers like some fucking badge of technical accuracy - it's not, it's just pathetic
  • You preferably shouldn't even mention it openly (maybe put it in small font in a corner if player digs hard enough, and blame it on whomever insn't in position to protest if you do need to mention it) and shouldn't differentiate ships based on it.
  • If you do have to differentiate then put it in some abstract units in the same vein you would do with item weights in a fantasy RPG when you don't know how much a full plate weighs VS a sword, but are too ashamed to ask
Meanwhile Dilute: Egregious just goes all "HURR! We are highly accurate and technical! Our F22 fighters can gallop at two leagues per fortnight while armed with seven ton longswords.".
How very comical.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I still get the kicks when I enter this thread and see something like "top speed: 197m/s".
I mean, FFS!
I also still get the kicks when I enter this thread and see your autistic response. I get it, you are butthurt because there is no Newtonian physics.
I'd say it's pretty self-evident who is butthurt here.
+M
I guess the guy who is constantly nagging about a game's shortcoming from the day of release despite claiming that he doesn't have any interest in it anymore.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Don't blame him. J_C is an exceptionally mediocre person so he must defend mediocrity right to the death.
You must know me very well. Oh wait, we never met, you just read a few forum posts from me on a stupid gaming forum. I guess I could say that you are retarded because you waste hundreds of hours of your time on a game you find shitty. But I won't say that because I know that in real life you are probably a normal guy. Hah, see, I'm better than you! :troll:

Burning Bridges

That was a pretty mediocre answer.

Now let's stay cool and Merry Christmas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom