Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Comte

Any advice for settings for PPSSPP Final Fantasy Tactics? I read about the slowdown patch can I apply it to a ISO run through PPSSPP?

I started playing Tactics ogre on the emulator and it runs great but Final Fantasy Tactics runs like dog shit.

spekkio

Arcane
tet666

BROS, does any of you has access to newest "chinese" or "GMKs" builds of Citra? I mean the ones with gamepad support inclued? The last one posted ITT was from 2016-09-19. :(

AFAIK only the "Bleeding Edge" experimental builds are available (last page).

BTW, since I wasn't able to find decrypted & undubbed version of Fire Emblem - Fates (Special Edition), I made one myself.

:smug:

Using decrypted regular rom, files from Serenes Forest and HackingToolkit3DS by Asia81.

Superior 5 wapanese voice options:

a8jSo5i.jpg

Instead of 3 shitty ones in gaijin version:

bvsBkBV.jpg

Feels good man

zrVB6mD.png

380ef5c9805e5fa82d6a939db27ff48a.gif

spekkio

Arcane
Piss-easy. Guide here but IMO it's even simpler than described there.

1. Get a DECRYPTED .3ds / .cia rom (one that works in Citra).
2. Extract ITZ contents using HackingToolkit3DS.exe (1st or 3rd option, depending on rom format)
3. Replace extracted files with modified ones from undub / swimsuit / etc packs.
4. Rebuild the .3ds / .cia rom (2nd or 4th option).

IMO you don't have to fuck around with DecryptedRomFS.bin separately (extract its contents using RFSE, to avoid corruption - as explained by Asia81 and koyuki38). I just did what I wrote above and the game works fine in Citra, no black screens or anything - maybe on real hardware it would be different, dunno.

Fucking encryption, mang.
rating_rage.gif

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Any advice for settings for PPSSPP Final Fantasy Tactics? I read about the slowdown patch can I apply it to a ISO run through PPSSPP?

I started playing Tactics ogre on the emulator and it runs great but Final Fantasy Tactics runs like dog shit.
You apply the patch with a utility (depends on what format the patch is), and then load the patched iso. You could put the iso on a real psp with custom firmware too.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs.
If any of you is interested in 3DS undubs, here's what I learned (the hard way) about the ones available (just google "3DS UnDUB 1.2" and you're p. much set ;) ):

Following 3DS undubs are DECRYPTED, therefore they work with Citra:
  • Code_of_Princess_USA_UNDUB_3DS-Homuhomu
  • Etrian_Odyssey_2_Untold_The_Fafnir_Knight_USA_UNDUB_3DS-AskedForThis
  • Stella_Glow_USA_UNDUB_3DS-MacaroniTurtle
  • The_Legend_of_Legacy_USA_UNDUB_3DS-Homuhomu
:yeah:

Following 3DS undubs are ENCRYPTED, therefore they don't work with Citra:
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_Devil_Summoner_Soul_Hackers_USA_UNDUB_v1.0_3DS-HiD
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_Devil_Survivor_Overclocked_USA_UNDUB_v1.1_3DS-Canzah
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_Devil_Survivor_2_Record_Breaker_USA_UNDUB_v1.0_3DS-Canzah
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_IV_USA_UNDUB_v1.0_3DS-Canzah
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_IV_Apocalypse_USA_UNDUB_v1.0_3DS-Canzah
:rage:

As for the FE - Fates undubs, this popular one:

Fire_Emblem_Fates_Special_Edition_EUR_UNDUB_3DS

Seems to be done in some improper way, as it looks decrypted (you can extract shit from it using Asia81's Toolkit), but it doesn't work with Citra (improper filesystem or some shit).
IMO it's best to just grab a normal (dubbed) decrypted rom somewhere and DIY (as I described above).

That is all.

:obviously:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So which consoles would you guys say can be easily emulated without issues? My personal experience tells me the ones in green are pretty much impeccable, while the ones in red still need lots of work:

- Nintendo Entertainment System
- Super Nintendo Entertainment System
- Nintendo 64
- Nintendo Gamecube / Wii
- Nintendo Game Boy / Game Boy Color
- Nintendo Game Boy Advance
- Nintendo Dual Screen
- Nintendo 3DS
- Sega Master System / Game Gear / Genesis / 32X / Sega CD
- Sega Saturn
- Sega Dreamcast
- NEC TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine
- Sony Playstation
- Sony Playstation 2
- Sony Playstation Portable
- Wii U / PS3-4 / Vita / Xbox 1-3

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Least demanding devices easier to emulate. Rocket science right here.
Red for XboX (first one)
PS3 have helluva slow progress, barely anything once a year worth mentioning.
I dare to say PS2 unless they work on things and reduce ductaping stuff.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Least demanding devices easier to emulate. Rocket science right here.
Red for XboX (first one)
PS3 have helluva slow progress, barely anything once a year worth mentioning.
I dare to say PS2 unless they work on things and reduce ductaping stuff.

Thanks. I think I'll be probably sticking to anything before Playstation 2.

A user named cat

So which consoles would you guys say can be easily emulated without issues? My personal experience tells me the ones in green are pretty much impeccable, while the ones in red still need lots of work:

- Nintendo Entertainment System
- Super Nintendo Entertainment System
- Nintendo 64
- Nintendo Gamecube / Wii
- Nintendo Game Boy / Game Boy Color
- Nintendo Game Boy Advance
- Nintendo Dual Screen
- Nintendo 3DS
- Sega Master System / Game Gear / Genesis / 32X / Sega CD
- Sega Saturn
- Sega Dreamcast
- NEC TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine
- Sony Playstation
- Sony Playstation 2
- Sony Playstation Portable
- Wii U / PS3-4 / Vita / Xbox 1-3
Sega Master System / Game Gear / Genesis / 32X / Sega CD -- use RetroArch with Genesis Plus GX core. As accurate as it gets.
NEC TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine -- Mednafen pretty much perfectly emulates the NEC systems.
Sony Playstation -- Mednafen once again. Might be a few quirks left in some obscure Japanese games or something that might not boot but otherwise incredibly accurate.

hackncrazy

Savant
With the new enhancements of Dolphin, Gamecube and Wii are getting pretty good to emulate.

Even though I have an Wii, sometimes I prefer to play games on Dolphin.

Mozg

Arcane
Has anyone played a significant amount of a PSX game using the "new" (it came out in August apparently) PGXP fixes for polygon jittering and (this is newer) texture warping?

Example (look at the floor after the cut away from the statue):

Original:

Fix:

Does this finally fulfill the dream of making PSX shit on emulator wildly superior to the original system like PS2 games are or does it fuck things up in some subtle way?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It glitches things in some games as would be obvious if you tried it and seen it has 3 different modes of operation. If you're a OCD autist like most people using mednafen, you'll evenually get triggered in some game where a camera angle causes a z-buffer overlap problem.

Still p. cool (if only RA wasn't a sea of stale forks, half implemented features and nanny knows best idiocy).

Mozg

Arcane
I want to hear that it's confirmed wonderful before I start fuckin with emulators and ISOs. I haven't emulated a PSX game in years. I am little enough of an emulation autist that I assumed mednafen was some ADD medication before I googled it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm ok with mednafen itself, my beef is more with retroarch which has its most popular (but outdated) fork, where the PGXP implementation is.

To clarify it a bit i'm calling it a 'nanny' emulator because it constantly sabotages its own features because devs have strong opinions about how you should use it. So for example, keyboard support is abyssal and says fuck you if you try to use the numpad for keys (because you should use gamepad), playlist support says fuck you if you try to scan a hardpatched hack or translation (because you should only be playing licensed roms verified by no-intro so they can show pretty pictures on a optional art download), and 'generic' softpatch support says fuck you if you try to use it on a emulator core which 'might' load a rom over 20 mb (includes multisystem emulators and machines with 32gb of RAM because they didn't want to bother with a runtime check because they hate users even when putting intentional limitations).

As for PGXP itself, no clue really. I tried it on tomb raider mansion level because it was neat (not as good as Glide obviously) but nothing else. You'll need a beefier machine than i have for it, especially since it's supposed to be coupled with higher internal resolution and maybe filters for best effect. It sure didn't help the terrible jumping camera on your videos.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
Videos were just to show the fix to crazy original PSX texture warping on the tiled hallway floor textures at the timestamp. Like, look at (unfixed) Megaman Legends and everything intended as a straight line on the tiled dungeon wall textures looks like a 10 foot chain lying across 9 feet of floor. I don't know what jumping camera means. The PSX geometry wiggling doesn't look qualitatively improved the way the texture warping does if that's it. Is the texture warping fix separable from PGXP?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yes i meant the geometry wiggling. Though in this game (vagrant story) i thought it might be the camera itself that was jumping around the way it's so obvious.

The PSX geometry wiggling doesn't look qualitatively improved the way the texture warping does if that's it. Is the texture warping fix separable from PGXP?

Nah. Retroarch libretro-beetle has a extra option to disable or enable 'PGXP perspective correct texturing' but it doesn't appear to do anything if the whole thing is not enabled. Typical bad RA GUI actually, not showing which options are conditionally enabled.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
BTW in this game, libretro-beetle has bugs that mednafen upstream hasn't in the very intro (for example when the main character cuts down the portcullis). No wonder upstream devs complain all the time of getting bullshit bug reports from RA users.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
BROs.
If any of you is interested in 3DS undubs, here's what I learned (the hard way) about the ones available (just google "3DS UnDUB 1.2" and you're p. much set ;) ):

Following 3DS undubs are DECRYPTED, therefore they work with Citra:
  • Code_of_Princess_USA_UNDUB_3DS-Homuhomu
  • Etrian_Odyssey_2_Untold_The_Fafnir_Knight_USA_UNDUB_3DS-AskedForThis
  • Stella_Glow_USA_UNDUB_3DS-MacaroniTurtle
  • The_Legend_of_Legacy_USA_UNDUB_3DS-Homuhomu
:yeah:

Following 3DS undubs are ENCRYPTED, therefore they don't work with Citra:
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_Devil_Summoner_Soul_Hackers_USA_UNDUB_v1.0_3DS-HiD
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_Devil_Survivor_Overclocked_USA_UNDUB_v1.1_3DS-Canzah
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_Devil_Survivor_2_Record_Breaker_USA_UNDUB_v1.0_3DS-Canzah
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_IV_USA_UNDUB_v1.0_3DS-Canzah
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_IV_Apocalypse_USA_UNDUB_v1.0_3DS-Canzah
:rage:

As for the FE - Fates undubs, this popular one:

Fire_Emblem_Fates_Special_Edition_EUR_UNDUB_3DS

Seems to be done in some improper way, as it looks decrypted (you can extract shit from it using Asia81's Toolkit), but it doesn't work with Citra (improper filesystem or some shit).
IMO it's best to just grab a normal (dubbed) decrypted rom somewhere and DIY (as I described above).

That is all.

:obviously:

If they're encrypted. just put them on your 3DS and decrypt them in GodMode9 - it's super easy, albeit with really time consuming file transfer.
It's how I patched my Fire Emblem fates, because i couldn't figure out at all how to get those bloody Xorpads the patcher wanted (and that aside, those patches were made for the US version, so I had to do it manually anyway).

On that note, is there any support at all in Citra for loading CIAs? or must I convert them to CCIs and miss out on the DLC?

flyingjohn

Arcane
[

On that note, is there any support at all in Citra for loading CIAs? or must I convert them to CCIs and miss out on the DLC?

None whatsoever and it is not on their current to do list.Citra currently only supports decrypted 3ds and cci files.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
SCO Mozg

The psx opengl and vulkan renderers have been broken for me for months (amd card, windows). That really needs to be fixed to run proper high resolutions. Also for some reason it only lets you expand the resolution by powers of 2 which means I can't have the best res for either my 1200p monitor (240x5) or my shitty 768p TV (240x~3).

A user named cat

spekkio I noticed the OP is missing Atari 5200. I just had to play through the entire rom set and record vids for every game. The best emulator to use is Atari800. Hit F1 to enter the menu to config it. It's also the best emulator to use for Atari 8-bit as well.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/atari800/files/atari800/3.1.0/

The only issue I encountered were games that rely on the clunky numeric pad, which this emulator doesn't seem to bind properly. For those games, just use Kat 5200 which allows more binding options.

http://kat5200.jillybunch.com/downloads.html

Sidenote: I'd also recommend grabbing this zip and using the palette named "new_stella_NTSC.pal" if you want the most accurate 5200 colors. You'll have to tweak the configs for both emulators and make sure they're set to NTSC tv mode but it's worth it.

A user named cat

What? There is an age limit on consoles now?

Didn't even notice you were missing Atari 2600 and the 7800 as well. Why? All those systems had plenty of great games. Much better than the later Atari ST which is complete shit full of awful games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom