Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, do you even emulate? :roll:

Z76NFit.jpg

WXv7j7S.jpg

o669kFO.jpg

~40 FPS and 0 glitches on some old Citra version from may...

:smug:

IceyD

Scholar
so i made the mistake of playing through disc 1 of valkyrie profile without first creating a .m3u playlist including disc 2. i now have made the .m3u file and was able to convert my save files. everything is working but when i get to the 'Insert Disc 2' screen in the game, i'm not sure how to proceed.

anyone know how to switch discs in mednafen (ps1).

No Great Name

Arcane
so i made the mistake of playing through disc 1 of valkyrie profile without first creating a .m3u playlist including disc 2. i now have made the .m3u file and was able to convert my save files. everything is working but when i get to the 'Insert Disc 2' screen in the game, i'm not sure how to proceed.

https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/#Section_multicd_games

Default keys are F6 and F8.

IceyD

Scholar

https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/#Section_multicd_games

Default keys are F6 and F8.

thanks, that worked! must have glanced over that section.

Nostaljaded

Savant
[Catherine and Persona 5 share a lot of similarities.] dxtory hooks persona 5 as the same game that Catherine is. this is the same thing that happens with FNV/FO3.
So your Catherine-Persona 5 similarity statement is not supported due to faulty premises right?

Refuted [with what you may be referring to] in this post.
If not, would need references on your similarity claim.

IceyD

Scholar
which version of Lunar do ya'll recommend? there's segacd, ps1, psp, and i think a gba.

flyingjohn

Arcane
which version of Lunar do ya'll recommend? there's segacd, ps1, psp, and i think a gba.
I presume you mean the the first one called silver star harmony and not the sequel.
Either the psp or psx versions.

Psp version adds stuff to make it easier and some new story stuff while the psx version is the enhanced complete edition of silver star for sega cd.(it is tougher and there is more content and features)

So if you want a modern take on lunar go psp,if you want the original feeling go for psx.

But i would advise against playing these games compared to any other jrpg on the consoles.They are more focused on story while having a very cliche/childish feeling throughout the entire game.

The combat system is a basic turn based jrpg system with grinding,and none of the enemies require any strategy to beat whatsoever.Infact if you are gonna play it make a aoutobattle profile so you don't have to waste time in useless fights.

Last edited:

IceyD

Scholar
hm, if it's going to be a tedious play i might opt for the PSP version for the quality of life improvements. thanks for the info.

A user named cat

I could never understand the hype around the Lunar series. I remember the PS1 version of Silver Star Story came in a big fancy box and even included a cloth map. So much work put into its release. Yet the game itself was boring shit. Just the most typical, immature and mundane jrpg you can imagine. Not even remotely better than any standard SNES-era jrpg.

You're better off just grabbing an emulator and playing an English translated Super Famicom game. Star Ocean, Treasure of Rudras (Rudra no Hihou), Seiken Densetsu 3 or even Live a Live are infinitely better than the Lunar games.

IceyD

Scholar
i don't doubt it haha, i just want to play through some well known psx jrpgs and see what it's all about.

ff7 and vagrant story have been my favorite so far.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i remember i played lunar 1 on PS1 and I would listen to the OST it came with and laugh-yet-enjoy the battle anthem sung by Luna's voice actress.

I was 17 at the time, a virgin, had long hair, was overweight and wore tinted glasses unironically.

I think game(s) like Lunar have a specific demo/window during which they can be enjoyed by the player and it is one with a checklist comprised of what I described above.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Siveon Dorarnae Courtier

Just wanted to remind everybody that since PS3 emulation is now a thing we can play "Class of Heroes 2G"!

I have no idea if it will run well in the emulator (Wiz: Labyrinth of Lost Souls runs well enough, although it ocassionally crashes or enemy textures might appear and disappear, but it is definitely playable), but what the heck, might as well right?

I'm downloading it right now from a filthy website
103a.jpg

The game had already launched to a limited audience a few months back via a limited physical release. The dungeon RPG sees players start summer school at the Crostini Academy of Adventuring Arts, where tests consist of battling boss monsters, and teachers prepare you for life-or-death situations. The game also supports second screen play on PS Vita, allowing you access to menus, statuses, and maps on the handheld.

I have no clue what this is but it seems to be an HD remake of CoH 2? That seems to most logical conclusion but they were originally selling this thing at full retail price so even though I could easily google this and have an answer ready I choose not to, because I'm fairly sure it is a type of "gaiden" built off a re-skinned CoH 2 port they themselves moved over to the PS3... then they probably added some new dungeons, a few new items, and voila.

I'm not the biggest fan of CoH series but they're charming 'crawlers and I actually enjoyed almost finishing the 1st game on PSP emulator.

BTW, I think this might have been the last commercial release from ZeroDiv... ah, wait, never mind: I forgot they're busy making money with the new Action-RPG style entries in the CoH series that play like Diablo-meets-Ys. This game was released post-CoH 3 (PSP) so it is technically the last of the CoH games.

EDIT: "The PS3 version adds optional dual-screen play, much better graphics, weather, a whole new labyrinth, and an in-game manual."

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Siveon Dorarnae Courtier

Just wanted to remind everybody that since PS3 emulation is now a thing we can play "Class of Heroes 2G"!

I have no idea if it will run well in the emulator (Wiz: Labyrinth of Lost Souls runs well enough, although it ocassionally crashes or enemy textures might appear and disappear, but it is definitely playable), but what the heck, might as well right?

I'm downloading it right now from a filthy website
103a.jpg

The game had already launched to a limited audience a few months back via a limited physical release. The dungeon RPG sees players start summer school at the Crostini Academy of Adventuring Arts, where tests consist of battling boss monsters, and teachers prepare you for life-or-death situations. The game also supports second screen play on PS Vita, allowing you access to menus, statuses, and maps on the handheld.

I have no clue what this is but it seems to be an HD remake of CoH 2? That seems to most logical conclusion but they were originally selling this thing at full retail price so even though I could easily google this and have an answer ready I choose not to, because I'm fairly sure it is a type of "gaiden" built off a re-skinned CoH 2 port they themselves moved over to the PS3... then they probably added some new dungeons, a few new items, and voila.

I'm not the biggest fan of CoH series but they're charming 'crawlers and I actually enjoyed almost finishing the 1st game on PSP emulator.

BTW, I think this might have been the last commercial release from ZeroDiv... ah, wait, never mind: I forgot they're busy making money with the new Action-RPG style entries in the CoH series that play like Diablo-meets-Ys. This game was released post-CoH 3 (PSP) so it is technically the last of the CoH games.

EDIT: "The PS3 version adds optional dual-screen play, much better graphics, weather, a whole new labyrinth, and an in-game manual."

I think the ps3 is like an enhanced version, if I remember the texture are better in dungeon and few other things

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
well, in any case, it won't launch on my PC, using recent build of RPCS3 emulator.

I can at least be assured that the problem does not lie on my end, though, as Catherine runs absolutely flawlessly, and Wiz: LabSouls runs fine as well (albeit with texture flickering/disappearances and a crash to desktop after about 1 hour of play or more, which probably has to do with the way the emulator deals with CPU usage and RAM more than anything else).

CoH 2 not launching regardless of the dozens of different "configurations" I tried simply means it's not yet ready for the emulator. Oh well.

Speaking of PS3 emulation: jesus christ wtf is there to even play!? With the influx of released-to-PC-as-well titles during the PS3/Xbox 360 life cycles... It was quite shocking to see that all that's remotely worth playing is already available on PC or can be played on PC via some other way. What a metric ton of trash is the PS3 library.

Dorarnae

I'm about to begin a playthrough of the 3DS "light dungeon crawler" game called Labyrinth no Kanato, or Beyond the Labyrinth in english. I have a .CIA file format of the game downloaded and it is already english-patched but that format isn't compatible with 3DS emulator (CITRA) so I'm waiting until a fellow Codexer tells me how I convert it into .3DS file format before playing it.

Already spent like 1 hour and a half downloading various 3DS tools and shit in order to do it myself but I got tired of failing. Either way, can't wait to play it. Main character is pure waifu material.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm about to begin a playthrough of the 3DS "light dungeon crawler" game called Labyrinth no Kanato, or Beyond the Labyrinth in english. I have a .CIA file format of the game downloaded and it is already english-patched but that format isn't compatible with 3DS emulator (CITRA) so I'm waiting until a fellow Codexer tells me how I convert it into .3DS file format before playing it.

Already spent like 1 hour and a half downloading various 3DS tools and shit in order to do it myself but I got tired of failing. Either way, can't wait to play it. Main character is pure waifu material.
Use the "3DS To CIA Converter". It works both ways.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oh! i tried that already. in thise case it doesn't work because the the CIA already has the english patch applied AND it isn't "unpackaged" (read: decrypted).

I can't use the tool to convert the japanese rom to CIA, then apply the english patch because the eng-patch is coded for the 3ds rom, and it is specific.

I also tried simply downloading the original jp .3ds rom but i haven't found a good download of it yet, i mean of the version for which the dude keyed the eng-patch for. it has to match the hash code or the delta doesn't work.

the patch also only works on an "default" jp rom as well so i can't use the decrypted JP rom that's up in all the emu sites either.

A user named cat

Mednafen was updated a couple days ago with a bunch more Saturn fixes. Will be crazy to see 100% compatibility, getting there. HERE is a list of remaining issues if anyone wants to follow.

spekkio

Arcane
At first I thought aweigh was misinformed, when he mentioned that 3DS roms can now be decrypted without using the real hardware. But it turned out to be true.

Behold, Beyond the Labyrinth (Labyrinth no Kanata):

kl1XP1G.jpg

TjDO2UK.jpg

Ns7dkrr.jpg

^This isn't the "real" game, just the "oldschool game inside the real game". You can check the game here:

spekkio

Arcane
Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Mednafen was updated a couple days ago with a bunch more Saturn fixes. Will be crazy to see 100% compatibility, getting there. HERE is a list of remaining issues if anyone wants to follow.
It also looks like the SS :M component got savestate support as of 0.9.47. Too bad that the newest Retroatch core is 0.9.45.1.

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom