Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
omg dude the logo-graphic symbolon of the ancient chinese characters are right there why even ask such a dumb question hurpderp

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
it's going fairly well, they just got to another site I've been using for ps3/wii U/switch/3ds "Isos Land". they had tons of isos for those systems on mega/gdrive download links.

damnit.

Perkel

Arcane
If they will fix audio problem then Disagea 5 will be first almost perfectly emulated game on Yuzu.
I just switched on latest canary and game runs 99% of the time 60fps without any visual glitches.
Only audio is messed up and speed of the game is uneven as when you finish turn game looks like speed up.

Worth noting is performance. 10% GPU and 15%CPU. Which means that it should run even on potato.
Currect yuzu performance problems are mostly simply due to unfinished code which often overflows something in engine and rest of emulator needs to wait for that something.
Here is what i recorded just now:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
A Switch in handheld mode is pretty much a Wii U, power wise, right ? So computers able to run Cemu decently should be able to run this too ?

(Yeah, I know it doesn't work EXACTLY like that, but you do get my point.)

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A Switch in handheld mode is pretty much a Wii U, power wise, right ? So computers able to run Cemu decently should be able to run this too ?

It's been stated before but docked mode has no real bearing on performance aside from the lack of heat on the screen. The dock is mostly just a piece of plastic that allows you to display HDMI.

That said the Switch is about as powerful as a Wii U.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Since the Switch emulator is so young still it's impossible to answer this but it does appear this will be the case, that if you can run Cemu you'll be able to run Switch emu.

Something to note is that Switch when in portable mode is actually clocked lower, hardware wise, than the Wii U, if they ever implement a toggle for going into "portable mode" in the Switch emulator this should allow it to run much better than Cemu on the same PC, theoretically.

Obviously on a real Switch when you go portable the games lower resolution and framerate and other stuff automatically, so I imagine them implementing portable-mode on Switch emulator would do the same.

It's been stated before but docked mode has no real bearing on performance aside from the lack of heat on the screen. The dock is mostly just a piece of plastic that allows you to display HDMI.

That said the Switch is about as powerful as a Wii U.
That's not true at all. Although the dock has no special circuitry, the Switch GPU runs at higher clock speeds while docked (no doubt for battery performance reasons). In fact, the docked GPU clock speeds are 2.5x higher.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis

Most games run at a higher resolution while docked (1080p instead of 720p which is the Switch's physical screen resolution). Some games even run at a higher framerate while docked (Hyrule Warriors, for example, runs at an unlocked framerate whereas the portable mode is locked at 30fps).

So, it might be accurate to say that the Switch in portable mode is roughly equivalent in power to a Wii U. However, it's a lot faster at full GPU speeds while docked.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Sup, guyze.

Some of you may have missed this, being busy with Switch emulation and recent moe Steam shit. :roll:

Citra now supports both updates and DLCs in .cia format. As long as they're decrypted and properly dumped.

:incline:

You'll need the newest canary build and decrypted files (game, DLC, update if necessary). After that, it's just a smooth sailing (File -> Install CIA).

Checking if the update worked is easy, since it should be visible both in game browser:

6aj2ylE.jpg

And main game screen (ver 1.1 in lower right corner):

7WD6Mj1.jpg

But DLCs can me more difficult to check, since some games (SMT for example) don't have an option to mess around with DLCs in main menu (only to buy them via eshop). But I've checked two Fire Emblem games, and shit seems to be working fine:

ZK1egVS.jpg

iKHk4Db.jpg

:dance:

CIy6k1g.jpg

FNkee9B.jpg

xbbuBrK.jpg

:dance: :dance:

PROTIP1: If you wanna hunt teh webz for working DLCs, they have to be (re)dumped no earlier than ~ August 2018, since previous method was wrong:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/8zbitp/citra_canary_now_has_dlc_support/

PROTIP2: If the .cia you've DLed compresses like shit (file is almost the same size after packing with .rar or .7zip), it's most likely encrypted and can't be used with Citra. Decrypted .cias pack nicely, due to the lack of "noise" data.

AFAIK you can grab working DLCs only from one juarez site.

OFC, I'm not gonna post ITZ address, since piracy is wrong.

:obviously:

Drama King out.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Citra added ability to read encrypted files by setting up key.txt file
Tested this with some aes_keys.txt found in the tubes, and it indeed works:

No keys, so encrypted 1.1 update for DS2 isn't recognized (decrypted game will load as 1.0):

ib0gmhT.png

Keys in place, so update is properly loaded:

BDsK1Au.png

Too bad that my aes_keys.txt has only two entries:

Code:
generator=stuff
slot0x2CKeyX=stuff

From what I've read, more keys are required for some games:

Required keys: generator, slot0x25KeyX and slot0x2CKeyX. If loading encrypted New 3DS games, slot0x18KeyX and slot0x1BKeyX are also required.
:(

Anyway, fantastic progress and another slap to Ninny's face with their stupid DRM. :roll:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
so is the fan-translated .cia of beyond the labyrinth finally fucking playable or what?

spekkio

Arcane
My decrypted version worked since forever, I don't know what your problem was.

spekkio

Arcane
AFAIR I made it myself by applying translation patch to encrypted rom and then decrypting it via 3ds_decrypt_v3.

Anyway, it's only 410 MB so I'm gonna UL it somewhere and PM you a link.

ETA: next thursday.

It sure works:

hPsWT2I.png

gS9ayJK.png

j8Sh27D.png

But it's some kind of a scam, 'cuz I've been promised a hawt animu chick and got some dungeon crawlan instead.

:decline:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
thanks mang, will await ur PM then.

BTW, xenia emulator just had a huge jhuge update, I recommend you all give it a try. Blue Dragon is running fine except with a low frame-rate on my machine, and I'm currently downloading a totes fully legal backup of my owned Lost Odyssey game to see how that runs!

I assume it will run same as Blue Dragon, i.e. run "fine" but with frame-rate in the 10-15 range. those of you with better cpus might want to give it a go, as I'm on a i5 7500.

video update of one of the Halo games running on xenia from october 24th:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I can't wait to play Too Human again on Xenia.
Xenia project YouTube channel, showing various games running using the new DirectX 12 backend. A new developer called Triang3l started working on it few months ago and in the past month the progress has been incredible. I'm guessing many people here are not even aware of it.
You can find the latest builds in the link below. Don't ask me how to run this, I'm just the messenger, I never used this emulator myself.
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/benvanik/xenia/history
Win10 only? I pass then

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
anything that runs on win10 runs on win7

anyway finally gave up on desmume and downloaded fucking retroarch. le sigh. MelonDS plays everything perfectly except they haven't implemented high-resolution support yet and it's not on their targeted features list for the foreseeable future, and i don't feel like booting bluestacks every time i want to use drastic, which leaves the only NDS option right now as RetroArch.

if anyone knows if there is ANY way to use a retroarch emulator core without having to launch RA please do let me know.

EDIT:

goddamnit, retroarch desmume core has fucked sound. so that clinches it, the ONLY way to play NDS games in High-Res, WITH GOOD SOUND on PC, is by emulating android and then running Drastic on it.

Stand-alone desmume is slow as fuck and is full of bugs, melonDS doesn't have high-res (but has everything else working), the cores on RetroArch have bugged sound on dragon quest games although they run better than stand-alone desmume does in high-res; that leaves only drastic via bluestacks as a the only way to play an NDS game on PC in high-res with working sound.

if you don't care about high-resolution, tho, melonDS is all you need.

EDIT: having to launch android emulator is too much of a pain. Oh well, guess it's officially IMPOSSIBLE to emulate NDS games in high-res with good sound and/or without having to launch 10 other emulators.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
just now tried out Lost Odyssey disc 1 on xenia... unfortunately, on my machine, it only reaches the main menu. The initial loading screen hangs right after selecting new game and configuring the options.

EDIT:

downloaded red dead redemption 1 xbox 360 version to try it on Xenia and lo and behold it actually renders completely, unlike ps3 version on rpcs3 which still has a metric ton of missing graphics!

frame rate (on 360 version on xenia) was abysmal though, 5-10fps.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
could someone do me a solid and boot up Persona 5 on the latest build of RPCS3 off their website? It's october 23rd build (unless they updated just now while I'm posting).

Leave it at default settings, and just boot up Persona 5, and let me know what performance you get? Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

(I took a long, long break from playing P5 and now, for whatever reason recent rpcs3 builds have been running P5 like dogshit for me even though a few months ago it was working perfectly. I tried asking on the reddit for rpcs3 but that place is dead and no one answered.)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Oh, btw, turns out the reason Desmume and Desmume-in-RetroArch were running like shit for me with or without High-Resolution enabled was because I had it set to DirectDraw instead of OpenGL.

Oopsie.

flyingjohn

Arcane
New saturn retroarch core:

I hope dreamcast gets some love too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom