Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Endless Legend, fantasyland trying to fix Endless Space's flaws

DramaticPopcorn

I'm here to check on some relevant RPG news, mire an occasional tranny and reminisce about the good old days. :shittydog:
I used to read GRPG discussions but now that it's ruined, I don't even know what to do here anymore

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Pretty much, yes, but Civ AI has less options to work with and makes better use of those.
The AI can't even properly bombard a city, it just zerg rushes the shit out of your empire. Try harder.

It wasn't, read again, kthnx.
Europa Universalis / HoI has a decent system, I guess.

:lol:

I only brought up EU and HoI in the combat segment
EU regions exist for the sole purpose of helping the AI.
Army pathing AI is one the most important parts of the combat AI in Paradox games, you dumbfuck. As for the system itself, you have zero control over battles in EU IV and they never managed to make cavalry actually worthwhile simply because the combat system simulates two static armies whacking each other until one retreats. No movements whatsoever.

Also, in multiplayer the AI is not very relevant and EL has a pretty active MP scene, tho I haven't joined it myself yet.
l2write, cuckboi
Saying it is "active" is a statement of fact, not a form of praise. LoL MP scene is very active and I find the game to be shit. EYE MP scene is p. much dead, tho I find the game to be good. Again, L2read.

edgeposted in this thread because people made fair points this game is far from being the savior of the genre.
No edgeposting until you went off the rails telling me to go fuck myself. And I never said the game was saving anything, only that it is the best we got so far. You act like this game raped your dog or something. :lol:

Keep living in that echo chamber, my dude.
What echo chamber, exactly? I'm alone making a case for EL here. OTOH you and Irenaeus are circle jerking pretty hard today.

That's how most Brazilians work.
You mean calling people names instead of coming up with an argument? Kinda like what you're doing? M'kay.

Is he on the codex just to help his ego?
My ego is doing fine, ty. You're just a bonus. :positive:

I used to read GRPG discussions but now that it's ruined, I don't even know what to do here anymore

Take a break. Dex isn't going anywhere, though forums in general have been on a decline for quite some time now. However there's no real substitute (online that is) either, it's impossible to have a proper conversation in social networks with more than one person (and even that is arguable).

Destroid

Arcane
Finally got around to playing this, the AI seems really passive and pretty easily gives up in wars. Don't really like the heavy emphasis on quests, but I like the city building bits. Is there any point in unlocking the high tier units? Seems like the basics + a few NPC units does the job just fine.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Finally got around to playing this, the AI seems really passive and pretty easily gives up in wars. Don't really like the heavy emphasis on quests, but I like the city building bits. Is there any point in unlocking the high tier units? Seems like the basics + a few NPC units does the job just fine.

There aren't "high tier units", except guardians. You unlock high tier gear for your units to update your designs or create new ones. Also, on Serious and above the AI actively tries to bully you.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Wait, what do you guys mean by "high tier units"? Every faction has 3 units and they show up at Era 1 and 2. That's not really far into the tech tree, so I wouldn't call it "high tier", but whatever. Guardians are the ones to show up a bit later, but I never used them. As for the usefulness of said units, depends on your faction and strategy. With the Vaulters I always unlock the Titan, since it's an amazing front liner with Technolover. Wild Walkers OTOH...I'm happy with my rangers. Read the descriptions and the Wikia carefully, newer units aren't necessarily better.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
So guys, this weekend is amplitude's anniversary so if anyone wants to unlock the secret hero, now is your chance. He only needs to be recruited once and then he will show up in your market rotation like all the other heroes.

He has two unique skill trees, Flying and Ended

Destroid

Arcane
The simultaneous turns in EL are pretty annoying when you are fiddling around with your armies, or trying to run away from someone after you retreated the turn before. The last thing I want when playing a turn based 4x is to feel like I need to rush to do something.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The simultaneous turns in EL are pretty annoying when you are fiddling around with your armies, or trying to run away from someone after you retreated the turn before. The last thing I want when playing a turn based 4x is to feel like I need to rush to do something.
In properly made simultaneous turn, you'd have army marked by enemy, and your retreat would cause the enemy army to follow and catch you when it would be faster. But turns are just abstraction of simultaneous activity.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But even with quirks, simultaneous turns are vastly superior to alternating turns.
Or else, you'd have turn times x number of players (at least in MP). Nobody has the time for that (or you'd end up with something like Dominions, which simply won't work for all games).

Destroid

Arcane
But even with quirks, simultaneous turns are vastly superior to alternating turns.
Or else, you'd have turn times x number of players (at least in MP). Nobody has the time for that (or you'd end up with something like Dominions, which simply won't work for all games).

At least civ gives you the option to use this mode or not. Seems a bad move to compromise singleplayer in a 4x when a very small proportion of players do multiplayer. Honestly this kind of quickdraw movement would be even more annoying in multiplayer, although i suppose less annoying than waiting. Moral of the story, a mp focused 4x game needs to be designed that way from the ground up.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Simultaneous turns work best with planning and action phases, but like Destroid says, that has to be planned from the beginning.

Beowulf

Arcane
It's a perfect example of an RPG game/strategy hybrid.

Units level up and in combat they display damage numbers.

It should be moved to the RPG forum, where it belongs.

DramaticPopcorn

I'm having huge withdrawal from 4x, and this game is pointless to play in SP, so I'm wondering if anyone would want to MP it? Competitively or against PC either way is fine.

I realize that chances of this actually happening are low but still codex pls deliever

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I'm having huge withdrawal from 4x, and this game is pointless to play in SP, so I'm wondering if anyone would want to MP it? Competitively or against PC either way is fine.

I realize that chances of this actually happening are low but still codex pls deliever

I own this game, and while I haven't played it enough to be good, I could be persuaded if others join. Though, preferably if they have some sort of pit boss system. I haven't looked into the MP, usually only have a couple hours at a time to play games that I have to pay attention to(leaving games running and walking away is another story).

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey a codex game? I can also play if we manage to get some reasonable times together.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom