Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EPIC Unreal Engine 4 / Unity 5 / CryTek CryEngine 3 / Square Enix Luminous Studio

hiver

How about: PC market becomes flooded with graphically impressive titles which are ultimately buggy pieces of complete shit, .... mumble...mummbble.. mumbble..mmumble .......................................................................................................................... decline.
jump off a bridge, thats the only way out;

-
6A2eyPi.png

Last edited by a moderator:

:Flash:

Arcane
Developer buys Game engine to avoid expense of developing their own and take advantage of the work of people with decades of industry experience - Good

Developer buys Middleware to do the same with things like physics, sound and particles.- Good

Developer buys textures to not spend hundreds of thousands of dollars reinventing the wheel with regards to the same damn grass and road textures that have been done thousands of times already - Bad.

How about no. It's long past overdue.

Actually I think all of these are bad. All the games look and feel the same nowadays.

I miss the days when games felt truly unique. When X-Wing competed with Wing Commander in the same genre, yet both had a completely different feel to them. When Ultima, Wizardry and Realms of Arkania wer in the same genres, yet completely unique experiences.
Today its all take this graphics engine and that physics engine and slap it all together. The engines stifle the developers creativity, because they don't even think about what could be possible. The think in terms of what can this engine do.

If I ever get around to coding the game I have in mind (which is admittedly unlikely), I will code my own engine from scratch. Because a lot of the things I have in mind are not even possible with your run-of-the-mill engine.

Arcane
I will code my own engine from scratch.
:lol:
I didn't say I'll write a 3d engine with physics effects or anything like that. There's no need for that, that was the point of the post. But an engine like, say, Ultima VI's + the stuff I have in mind I know I can do it. The only problem is time. I have to earn some money, too.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I guess it's ok if you are interested in the whole dev process and not just wanting to make a game, but it still sounds like reinventing the wheel.

Not sure what prosperous things you have in mind but why not use one of the trillion 2D game frameworks out there?

Arcane
I guess it's ok if you are interested in the whole dev process and not just wanting to make a game, but it still sounds like reinventing the wheel.

Not sure what prosperous things you have in mind but why not use one of the trillion 2D game frameworks out there?
Believe me, I have looked at a lot of them. But they are limiting.
They are limiting both from a development perspective and from a creative perspective. They force you to develop the game according to the engine's pipeline instead of what best fits your game. And they have technical limitations that you have to design your game around, instead of designing your technical limitations around your game.

Everything that is more than a multimedia abstraction layer like SDL or SFML has a certain design, a certain layout and forces you to do things a certain way.
That is not a problem if you want to adhere to a standard, it is even beneficial if you write applications, where people benefit from a standard. I certainly wouldn't write my own GUI toolkit for an application.
But IMO it is not good for a game. That is not to say that there aren't good games being developed with engines. But the games all feel the same. There might be some exceptions in the indie market, but even there you have to look hard.
And IMO that is not only because developers have been taught to do certain things certain ways (that also plays a role), but also game development is often not begun on a clean slate. It is begun with an engine and a game is designed around the engine, instead of the engine around the game.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.edge-online.com/features...real-engine-looks-to-define-a-new-generation/

“There’s a lot [of games] on the way and a large number of them haven’t been announced,” he tells us. “You’ll see lots of triple-A stuff coming out over time. The industry’s changing – this generation it seems like there are about a third of the number of triple-A titles in development across the industry as there was last time around – and each one seems to have about three times the budget of the previous generation. I think we’re heading towards a future where triple-A is the minority.”

Makes sense, and it's preferable.

Also, anybody "demo-ed" the Unreal Engine 4 demo pack? Gotta say the lighting looks impeccable.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Oh, it's included in the package you have to subscribe for?

Maybe they shouldn't call them demos then...

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Yes, I've gathered that much by now. But before you made that post I didn't know that they weren't free.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Also, anybody "demo-ed" the Unreal Engine 4 demo pack? Gotta say the lighting looks impeccable.
Just tried, the reflections demo was mind-blowing...

You mean that chromatic aberration in that demo is "mind blowing." Like they're filming the scene with a super fucked up lens.

There is ONE thing I hate more than the now AAA-mandatory JJAbrams lens flare: chromatic aberration.

I mean, just look at those bars on the right side:

8XDgMOr.jpg

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's so laughable about Cryengine? It's still, along with Source, the only engine that doesn't look like everything in it is made out of clay.

This.

UE3 and UE4 both try to make everything look AWESOME but in the end they always have an unnatural feel to them, and everything ends up looking too flashy just for the sake of showing off.

Cryengine and the good old Source engine still look miles better because instead of trying for EPIC EFFECTS, they're trying to be more realistic and more sober. They manage to look better and more easy on the eyes than the flashy shit of UE.
You mistake the engline with Unreal (Tournament) games.

Games made on UE can look very realistic and image real-life environment (and characters etc), this is what Red Orchestra devs did with it. It looks far better than Crysis and is run on Unreal Engine (RO on UE2, RO2 on UE3).

Another thing is the physics - on the tech demos and in the Unreal Tournaments it's always weird and unnatural, because they lack skills to do it correctly, although their engine is capable of it and - again - this is what Red Orchestra did right.

The engine is really good, and definitely looks great. What it always lacked was destructible environment.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Epic is giving away $5 million to UE4 developers. No string attached: https://www.unrealengine.com/unrealdevgrants

WHAT ARE UNREAL DEV GRANTS?
Epic has created a $5,000,000 development fund to provide financial grants to innovative projects built in and around Unreal Engine 4. Awards range from $5,000 to $50,000, and there are no strings attached: you continue to own your IP, are free to publish however you wish, and can use the grant funds without any restrictions or obligations to Epic.

WHY WOULD WE GIVE AWAY FREE MONEY?
Simply put, we succeed when you succeed. Unreal Dev Grants can give you the boost you need to take your project beyond working prototype. Epic wants to help you focus more on creation and worry less about keeping the lights on.

WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
ANYONE MAKING COOL THINGS WITH UE4
We like games, of course, but we also want to see animated features, architectural visualizations, Marketplace content, mods- anything that will make us say "Whoa." Please send us as much as you can, and working prototypes are best. If you're only at the design doc or scriptwriting stage, keep going.

STUDENTS AND EDUCATORS
We'd love to see class projects, engine extentions, curricula, tutorials, or any other creative or innovative work related to UE4 and education.

CROWDSOURCING FUNDRAISERS
If you're using any of the crowdsourcing sites like Kickstarter or Indie Go-go, don't worry, you can still apply for an Unreal Dev Grant. When both work out, you'll be that much further along.

:greatjob:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's kinda amazing how Epic Games turns from a secretive console-tard Microsoft bitch to this open, pro-PC developer again. It also helps I guess that they got rid off CliffyB.

I guess it also helps that the console utopia Microsoft promised them didn't happen. Id is dead and Epic has become pretty much irrelevant now. Yeah, abandoning the PC was such a smart move guyz.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I dislike 'tech demos' that just show you a few seconds of one scene (or game) and then go to another, and you just watch some random shit, even if good looking. This is how a good tech demo looks, a short story with a nice music:

Not these random scenes:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom