Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal card game

UglyBastard

Arcane
I just picked this game up because I got pretty bored by Hearthstone and wanted to get back into MtG.
It's a really nice game with a good interface that doesn't make stuff like instants a pain. The generosity with additional packs helps as well.

Ranked has been a pain so far though. Most of the opponent's decks are really aggressive with strong cards that are simply better than mine. I'm playing a Rakano warcry deck and trying to build Mono Time as that seems to be a pretty straightforward and strong deck.
Guess I have to play some more forge and gauntlet and do some drafts. At least I went 7 wins with my second draft and got some nice rewards.

Is crafting Sandstone Titans a good idea?

Last edited:

UglyBastard

Arcane
Really nice! Congrats!

Just made it to Masters in Draft yesterday as well. Last season I only managed to get it in Constructed because I ran out of gold to draft, but this time I even refrained from extreme greed rarepicking for a few drafts and just took the best thing. :eek: It's still extremely hard for me to pick a good common over a trashy leftover rare because I need the stone.

4Y0HYmx.jpg

Also, just lol @ ur stone and unopened packs. wtf.

Is it worth to get the Jekk's Bounty adventure? The only really playable cards seem to be Quarry (mandatory), Bailiff and Stray into Shadow (optional). I feel kinda bad about paying 10€ for a playset of Quarry.
Horus Traver is obvious value, so I bought the medium founder's pack and got it on release, not disappointed.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
atm i dont need to craft any cards (have most stuff i want, will open the rest at some point prolly), so there is no point in opening packs. i have small hopes that at some point there might come an entry option to drafts that will come with packs/gold or the like.

Jekk's Bounty is surely lacking compared to the new adventure, which adds plenty of nice cards.
its up to your budget at the end. (i got it once it got released because i was starving for new cards/content)

also i heard rumors that a new set wil come this year.
hype!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I haven't played this in months. Should probably start playing it again...

I always have crap decks though :/

RuySan

Augur
This replaced HS sometime ago as my card game to play every once in a while. Unlike HS i don't feel lost every month or so that i've not been playing.

And it works really well on android. The only thing i have against the game is the generic art style and lore. I also would have preferred if they didn't use the outdated land system from MTG.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Game is fantastic at its base, nothing less, but the current meta is the worst it has had yet. you basically have burn and two time-based midrange decks in the top tier, completely brainless.

And yeah RuySan, the aesthetics are completely awful and importing the only universally hated mechanic of MTG in lands seems completely baffling. What were they thinking?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Queen Aggro, PraxisElysian Midrange

These are the best decks, and they are fast, simple and very boring. The only control deck that rival them is Chalice which I personally never liked.

You could play Feln Control, but it's slow - so the question is why you, in a grinding ladder game, would play a slow control deck when you have access to fast decks that make you more gold and have a higher win rate?

Anyway, my point wasn't that the meta wasn't diverse, but that it was boring. Besides Feln Control and Armory, most decks are very cookie cutter/by the numbers, and the new set has only caused major changes to the curve decks. The other decks (Feln, Armory, Chalice, etc.) play almost exactly like they did before the expansion. So sure, we have all these decks we could play, but except adding a Bandit Queen to your Stonescar decks, you know these strategies and have played them to death since the game launched.

Most pushed control cards from the sort stop short of being amazing, meaning you're taking a win rate hit if you decide to play them.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Elysian Midrange isn't that great anymore imo, Argenpants is pretty high up there and they can't really deal with Barts and Tavrods. Of course it can still curve into a couple of big dumb beaters and kill you, but I found it rather lacking compared to some other decks. Also very boring to play, you have almost no interaction, you just play out your curve and hope that it holds.

T1 is probably somewhere between Argenport Midrange, Armory (multiple people holding rank 1 for a good while with Tavrod Armory this season) and the usual aggro suspects (Stonescar + Skycrag). Maybe Chalice (not convinced on that one).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
T1 is probably

Based on the RNG Team's data, it's Queen, and Praxis/Elysian. Not a surefire measurement, but better than individual feelings. Based on my own experience having reached master's in every season since I started, Queen is certainly T1.

UglyBastard

Arcane
T1 is probably

Based on the RNG Team's data, it's Queen, and Praxis/Elysian. Not a surefire measurement, but better than individual feelings. Based on my own experience having reached master's in every season since I started, Queen is certainly T1.

Yea, I'm seeing Stonescar up there as well. I meet next to none Elysian decks on the ladder though, Praxis is relatively common. Elysian feels mediocre to me personally as well (I crafted it last season because of the meta snapshot, got to Masters with it, but was a bit grindy tbh).
Where do they get their data from? Btw, latest Tier List I can find is from September 14th on rngeternal.com, some things might have changed since then. Horus Traver wasn't even released at that date.
Latest cups are showing multiple Argenport Midrange decks in every top8 since Tavrod release as well.
Armory is too popular with people tryharding in the top100 to be subpar, I'm pretty sure it will end up T1 or high T2 next snapshot.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Latest cups

Cups are dodgy to base ladder evaluation on though, because of side-boarding. But UglyBastard, do you disagree re: my general criticism of the lacking impact of the second set and the stale meta?

I mean you're citing armory - a deck that has pretty much been with us since the beta opened!

Last edited:

UglyBastard

Arcane
Latest cups

Cups are dodgy to base ladder evaluation on though, because of side-boarding. But UglyBastard, do you disagree re: my general criticism of the lacking impact of the second set and the stale meta?

I'm playing the game for one month now, so I haven't played all the oldschool decks to death yet. I find the meta pretty diverse and fun and you can certainly win a reasonable amount with a plethora of decks, it's currently in a way better state than Standard Hearthstone.
I can't evaluate the impact of Omens, but heard that it was pretty lackluster. Horus Traver was certainly very impactful considering it's size and the meta I experienced for a short time before its release (making Argenport T1 and reviving Armory, also a couple of decent additions to existing decks like the dragon).

So far I'm very satisfied with the game. Another big set is coming in November, maybe that will shake the meta up enough to satisfy you.

Has your ladder experience not changed with Horus Traver? I'm seeing zero Elysian right now.

Considering Argenport, I don't think that sideboarding is that impactful for the deck. The gameplan is pretty straightforward and sturdy. Also a very good ladder deck that can win against almost anything.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Latest cups

I'm playing the game for one month now

Not really applicable then I suppose

So far I'm very satisfied with the game. Another big set is coming in November, maybe that will shake the meta up enough to satisfy you.

Impact of last release does not inspire much hope. Again, I absolutely love the game, but one can only play the same deck so many times

Has your ladder experience not changed with Horus Traver? I'm seeing zero Elysian right now.

Not seeing as much elysian, but it's still 80% Queen.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Not seeing as much elysian, but it's still 80% Queen.

I don't really see that much queen, certainly not somewhere above 30%. Meta seems relatively healthy to me, but maybe we are playing in different pockets. Don't know how much you have played this month, if you are still grinding through the ranks aggro is certainly more common because of the fast and efficient games.

I only have 4-5 competetive decks right now (which is actually pretty ridiculous for the short time I played the game), so I still have a lot to explore.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This seems like a pretty nice card game, but I've only played against AI so far. How expensive is it to get into?

UglyBastard

Arcane
This seems like a pretty nice card game, but I've only played against AI so far. How expensive is it to get into?

Not very expensive.

If you like Draft and are good at it, it's very easy to assemble a huge collection relatively quickly. I build a T1 deck and reached the highest rank in constructed within 2 weeks of starting the game (admittedly I was putting quite a few hours into the game, about 50 at that time).
If you don't play Draft or are relatively bad at it, you are missing out on a lot of value, but the pace of the rewards is still decent. The game gives out a lot of goodies at the end of the ranked season as well if you are reasonably good.

Like every competetive PvP game you have to read stuff on 3rd party sites and get some in-depth info if you wanna compete at higher levels (and reap the better rewards). I spent $20 so far to get the singleplayer adventures (they are quite expensive with ingame currency) and bought no packs and have a very sizeable collection already 1 month after picking up the game. Dropping the $10 for the Horus Traver campaign is a very worthy investment if you enjoy the game.

Overall I would say it's one of the most f2p friendly digital children's card games out there. Way better than Hearthstone for example.

See this for a complete analysis of the payment model:
https://rngeternal.com/2017/10/01/going-deep-free-est-to-play/

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Game is so cheap my main worry is about their business model. Don't think you're going to find anything close to it EV-wise.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
it is very user friendly and i think you can play freely with the gold income from Dailys, Gauntlet and (to some extent)Ranked. Drafting is the best value and for me the most fun.
thats also the reason i bought into the game some times and i dont regret it. compared to MTGO and HS a Draft in Eternal is super great value (breaking even long term is really hard, tho).
i enjoyed grinding Drafts with set 1 and i do the same now

RuySan

Augur
Only one win in draft is enough to make a profit. And there's the incentive to gain rank levels in draft, which is something that doesn't exist in HS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom