Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal Crusade (WH40K MMO)

Caim

Arcane
Yeah, looking at the requirements my fears came true: my PC is too much of a toaster to run this. Combined with the poor optimisation I'm going to give this a miss for now.

On the other hand, Space Marine is on sale now (10+ bucks for the complete collection), so if you don't have it yet now is the time.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Good news everyone
No shit (not directed at you), it's not even in beta yet. The devs said they already expect bad reviews, but they prefer getting more development money. Or trying to, at least.

Edit: Also, LOL what the fuck is this about this community organizing PR stunt? I haven't seen anybody pushing for positive or negative reviews. The game should be getting mixed reviews honestly.

Edit 2: Oh, there is no neutral option, lol.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
>early access alpha with next to no content
>50 Euro

L
O
L

Good luck.
Yeah.. it cost $135 to get into DOS alpha. $95 for beta.

PoE was $110 for beta.

Of course it's not as cheap as getting the game for 50% price a la Kickstarter, it's more like pre-ordering a game for 20% less. And alpha access and beta access if you care for it (I enough for DOS and PoE beta and I never even used them... lol)

As for next to no content... It has at least much content as Space Marine multiplayer (well, okay, that's not saying much). Except not optimized, not balanced, buggy, etc. There are already new weapons and it has vehicles.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, looking at the requirements my fears came true: my PC is too much of a toaster to run this. Combined with the poor optimisation I'm going to give this a miss for now.

On the other hand, Space Marine is on sale now (10+ bucks for the complete collection), so if you don't have it yet now is the time.
AMD and UE4 fucking hate each other. I'm going to guess you have an AMD GPU and/or CPU.

Caim

Arcane

AMD and UE4 fucking hate each other. I'm going to guess you have an AMD GPU and/or CPU.
Intel Core 2 Duo with a Nvidea GT 220M.

Told ya my PC is a toaster.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Lol, apparently someone used a "Negative Review" in place the non-existant "Neutral Review" to be balanced. I haven't read it, but his attempt at :honourblade: suggests it might be insightful.

Anyways, I have no idea how to review it at this stage. But I guess I can list facts and my predictions.

Facts
  • Short and sweet, this is Battlefield with Space Marine mechanics.
  • Additional stuff:
    • "Cover" system. But no cover button. Two ways it can happen is (A) if you crouch behind a barrier, you will huddle down more, and (B) if you're against a wall you'll lay flat against it.
    • Two new classes compared to Space Marine: Healer (Apothecary and Sorcerer <- wut?), and a heavily armored ground melee dude who has no jumppack. Space Marines get a shield they can use and Chaos gets infinite health from Nurgle.
    • Probably don't need to even mention new weapons, but they did just add a Power Fist. Power Weapons (energy weapons?) can damage vehicles. Power Fists REAALLY fucking damage vehicles. And with loadouts... I like my anti-vehicle Power Fist Raptor.
      • Modifications of weapons from Space Marine, also. Too lazy to list. I'll give one example, that the Lascannon needs you to keep your crosshair on your target for like... 5 seconds or something. Contrast that with Space Marine, where it was literally the Sniper Rifle of the game, instant shot.
    • Vehicles, as mentioned by 27. Right now there are only the Predator (main battle tank) and the Rhino (APC). The rest were again mentioned by 27. Siege stuff has not shown up yet.
Predictions
  • They're not gonna fucking make this an MMO. This will probably be like "Global Agenda" from Hi-Rez Studios, where they tried to do an MMO but ended up with just an arena game instead with levels and lobbies and shit.
    • On the other hand, they don't even act like it's meant to be an MMO. There's no subscription necessary. If you buy the retail box, then you have the whole game, all the races, etc. I don't get why they just advertise it as Battlefield 40k. (Which I think was a vaporware mod for BF2 :( )
  • I dunno if this counts as a prediction, but I have 0 idea how the other factions will turn out. Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines are so easy because (A) you just copy pasta the fuck out of the game, Space Marine, and (B) they're complete mirrors, so balance (between factions) is barely an issue.
    • So I think what will make or break the game is how well implemented the Orks and the Eldar are. I predict they're going to have a challenge.

Uh I had a bunch of beers and I need to pee so i'll see y'all later.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Intel Core 2 Duo with a Nvidea GT 220M.

Told ya my PC is a toaster.
What kind of FPS are you getting? I think most of it is CPU usage corresponding to the number of players on the server/map. If the population is constant, then my FPS seems to be constant no matter if I'm in a graphically intense area or not.

Now if your FPS is dipping during graphic intensive situations, then it's probably your GPU.

In any case, I'm getting 20FPS or so on a mostly filled server. FX6300, Geforce Ti 650 Boost. I expect 30 FPS or so by launch, or something. I dunno, it's a few generations old, and I'm getting a GTX960 in the mail anyway. (Jet.com, btw, has awesome coupons... My GTX960 is coming in at $150).

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah.. it cost $135 to get into DOS alpha. $95 for beta.

PoE was $110 for beta.

Of course it's not as cheap as getting the game for 50% price a la Kickstarter, it's more like pre-ordering a game for 20% less. And alpha access and beta access if you care for it (I enough for DOS and PoE beta and I never even used them... lol)

As for next to no content... It has at least much content as Space Marine multiplayer (well, okay, that's not saying much). Except not optimized, not balanced, buggy, etc. There are already new weapons and it has vehicles.
Don't fucking compare Kickstarter costs to this. Remember when Planetary Annihilation released early access for $90? Yeah, that ended well for them.

Not to mention that I now find out this game is supposed to be out "by summer 2016". And on PS4 and XBox as well. I can already see the state it will be out in.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Don't fucking compare Kickstarter costs to this.
Well, that's true, they already had a "Kickstarter"/Founder's/Closed-alpha-entry program going on for half a year or so. That was also $40.

Remember when Planetary Annihilation released early access for $90?
Remember when Eternal Crusade was released early access for $90?

Oh wait.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Saw some gameplay of it on twitch. Looked like a multiplayer mod for Space Marine. Its very much in a pre-alpha state overall.
You're not far off at all. I've been playing about two weeks so what I said above is accurate. Multiplayer mod, yes, it's Battlefield: Space Marine (though you may also call it a multiplayer mod for Battlefield lol),.

To be pedantic, I feel like it's in mid-alpha rather than pre-alpha. All all the Space Marine/Chaos resources are in and work, really. It is literally plays like Space Marine already, besides bugs and optimization. Weapons from Space Marine are there, Tacticals, Devs, Assault are there, and all three play at the same quality as in Space Marine. Just again with tweaks to weapon, bugs, and shitty optimization. In addition there are two new classes. Also again the APC/Rhino and Tank/Predator are in and they work quite well. There are already a few maps, and they're pretty decent - again Battlefield sized. Literally playing something like 20v20 on one map.

Now, I agree that it's quite still in alpha because there are no Eldar and Orks. That... is going to be trouble for getting out of alpha. And also is going to be a lot of trouble balancing that shit in beta.

Also I don't really play that much, I just got bored, so I'm just relaying facts not hyping anything. I sure as hell know they ain't gonna have a Planetside experience, and that they won't make any kind of Summer 2016 release. Of course, saying that it'll be released in Summer or super early is just common-place shit devs/producers say and don't really mean. It'll be delayed.

Hopefully it won't do that stupid Warmachine Tactics bulltshit where they are considering that they haven't even "launched the game yet." :roll:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
please stop buying shitty 40k games
don't trigger me bro

No but seriously, Space Marine was good. Ran off Darksiders engine.

Both Dawn of War 1 and 2 were great. Space Hulk I think was okay?

Panzer General 40k sucked. Fire Warrior sucked. And basically all the ones that were mobile friendly.

There have been good ones, okay ones, and shitty ones. Eternal Crusade is Space Marine with different dressing, so that's up to you.

And just for info, if you go wayyy back (DOSBOX level), there was some good shit.

Edit: I take it back. Space Marine is slightly above average. It has really good mechanics but shitty content for the second half of the single player, and just shitty content (and lack of support) in general for multiplayer. For me the mechanics, and the first half of single player (fighting Orkz), made it fun for me. Subjective.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
This game is way too barebones, it will probably be cancelled.
Given that Space Marine wasn't canceled this game ain't gonna be. It already has everything Space Marine has. Well, except single player. It has already copypastad Space Marine... All the weapons from Space Marine are in, you have jump packs that work fine including the landing attack, bracing Devastators, melee, a couple large maps with control points, animations + models + textures for the Marines are surprisingly finished.

What will most likely be canceled is their Planetside world ambition.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
My name Farkov and I would like to invite you into my fight against Reapers/Cerberus/Geth/Prothean in Mass Effect 3 Co-op.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
oh hold on you meant armageddon

i completely forgot it even existed l0l

i absolve you of your sins

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom