Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal Crusade (WH40K MMO)

Caim

Arcane
Isn't that game just Panzer Corps 40k?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
My favorite was Chaos Gate.

Never managed to finish it, because I was doing an LP and either shit crashed and/or I got bored and/or I had life shit to do. Probably wasn't bored, to be honest, was having a good time near the end, fought some demons, finally managed to keep my men alive, etc.

I have the new Space Hulk (tabletop conversion video game) but it never felt too tactical to me. I dunno. Maybe you guys can convince me to give it another shot.

Hopefully Space Hulk Deathwing will be good. I haven't seen any gameplay videos but I've heard snippets of comments around the forums.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So I'm flipping Predators with my Power Fist. While at first I think this is bad physics... Now I'm not sure if it may actually be fluffy.

Disgruntled

Savant
Feel like wasting my money on this, might as well get a referral code from a codexer. First cum first served. See that 27 already posted one before. :salute:

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Feel like wasting my money on this, might as well get a referral code from a codexer. First cum first served. See that 27 already posted one before. :salute:
:salute:
Why didn't I post mine? :(

I so can't wait until this gets optimized. Timing a stun on a Raptor and then knifing him to death does not get old. Feels like being a troo Spess Mehreen.

Too bad no drop pods. I would make my company enact Steel Rain every match.

Defensively, of course.

Disgruntled

Savant
Not bad so far. I was on the Planetside2 train 2-3 years ago and a major reason for quitting was the dull universe and unsatisfying lack of any meaty impact when killing a foe. This one goes quite a way to solving that issue and offers something unique compared to the litany of Battlefields, CS:GOs, Armas and CODs.

Can someone tell me if unlocks are implemented right now and how do I go about earning them?
Ranked up to level 2 and didnt see anything.

Educated
Not bad so far. I was on the Planetside2 train 2-3 years ago and a major reason for quitting was the dull universe and unsatisfying lack of any meaty impact when killing a foe. This one goes quite a way to solving that issue and offers something unique compared to the litany of Battlefields, CS:GOs, Armas and CODs.

Can someone tell me if unlocks are implemented right now and how do I go about earning them?
Ranked up to level 2 and didnt see anything.
No unlocks yet. Experience is purely cosmetic at the moment.

Zerginfestor

Learned
I'm not sure if I want to buy it right now, as I have a good feeling the Ork race will have the better units behind a paywall bundle (Nobz, Mekboys, Stormboyz, Stormboy Nobz, Warboss, Flash Gitz, Mad Dok, etc.), and I'm not sure how the mmo will be on the final release (will it be F2P and thus we can spend 20-30 dollars on each race to unlock them all? Or will the people playing right now get the Ork race and eldar race as well?). As an Orky player, I'll just have to wait I suppose. Either way, it should be exciting to see how the fights will be balanced, 30 space marines vs. 120 ork WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! ?

Aothan

Magister
from what I've read the Orks are no longer going to be a f2p option

Zerginfestor

Learned
from what I've read the Orks are no longer going to be a f2p option

Really? That's a damn shame. Wouldn't make sense, honestly, because who the hell is gonna pick a slugga or shoota when a Flash Git or Nob just does more. I guess the rest of the boyz will be bots?...ehhhhhhhh.

Educated
I'm not sure if I want to buy it right now, as I have a good feeling the Ork race will have the better units behind a paywall bundle (Nobz, Mekboys, Stormboyz, Stormboy Nobz, Warboss, Flash Gitz, Mad Dok, etc.), and I'm not sure how the mmo will be on the final release (will it be F2P and thus we can spend 20-30 dollars on each race to unlock them all? Or will the people playing right now get the Ork race and eldar race as well?). As an Orky player, I'll just have to wait I suppose. Either way, it should be exciting to see how the fights will be balanced, 30 space marines vs. 120 ork WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! ?
The game is 'buy2play'. So after you pay the full price (once, no subscription) you get four character slots and can play all four races with all their classes, equipment, vehicles, progression etc. F2P option is still planned, but it will most probably be added after launch (~3 months at least, so if there are no further delays, end of this year or so). Only orks will be playable in this manner with only their basic classes ("Shoota, ‘Eavy/Loota, Stormboy, Painboy") and I'm pretty sure their progression will be somewhat limited but not totally gimped.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I really don't think this will be an MMO. It's so Battlefield-like (without aircraft though). All matches are 16v16 right now. Plus you just buy it retail like a regular game, no sub.

I also don't think they should try to make it an MMO. It's too ambitious an idea, they will fail because they'll spread their effort too thin to be able to be good at at least one aspect of the game. Forget Planetside 40k - just add the other races, classes, optimize, balance, polish, maybe keep horde mode (Tyranids) still, it'll be a fine game.

We'll see. Subjectively I am fine with it because 40k fanboy.

But objectively I'm ambivalent. They have both a good chance to have a solid game and a good chance to fuck it up. Hell, right now they only have Loyalists vs Traitors. Who knows if they can balance Eldar and Orks.
The game is 'buy2play'. So after you pay the full price (once, no subscription) you get four character slots and can play all four races with all their classes, equipment, vehicles, progression etc. F2P option is still planned, but it will most probably be added after launch (~3 months at least, so if there are no further delays, end of this year or so). Only orks will be playable in this manner with only their basic classes ("Shoota, ‘Eavy/Loota, Stormboy, Painboy") and I'm pretty sure their progression will be somewhat limited but not totally gimped.
They're not adding in Orks at start? Mm.. tbh maybe a good thing, could easily fuck things up if they try to do too much too quickly, like I said.

Educated
I really don't think this will be an MMO. It's so Battlefield-like (without aircraft though). All matches are 16v16 right now. Plus you just buy it retail like a regular game, no sub.

I also don't think they should try to make it an MMO. It's too ambitious an idea, they will fail because they'll spread their effort too thin to be able to be good at at least one aspect of the game. Forget Planetside 40k - just add the other races, classes, optimize, balance, polish, maybe keep horde mode (Tyranids) still, it'll be a fine game.

We'll see. Subjectively I am fine with it because 40k fanboy.

But objectively I'm ambivalent. They have both a good chance to have a solid game and a good chance to fuck it up. Hell, right now they only have Loyalists vs Traitors. Who knows if they can balance Eldar and Orks.
After playing Planetside 2 since launch (with long breaks) I'm not totally opposed to them scrapping the 'open continent' idea and instead focusing on 'strategic map + closed battles on each territory' system. PS2 has it's own charm but population imbalance and general chaos bring the game down most of the time.
All in all the game is fun even now - and I really dislike SM/CSM. So I guess when Eldar and Orks (ie. fun factions) are in I'll like the game that much more.

They're not adding in Orks at start? Mm.. tbh maybe a good thing, could easily fuck things up if they try to do too much too quickly, like I said.
There will be orks at start and they will work just like other three factions (though 'asymetrically balanced' and all that jazz). 'Free2Waaagh' was always meant to be an addition to paying ork players.

Disgruntled

Savant
I think they should definitely stick with the Free2Waugh option and implement it as early as possible after release. Thats what got the game on my radar years ago and got me buzzing on the idea of erm.. financially misfortunate countries.. filling in the ranks of lesser Orkish boyz for the rest of us to brutally mow down. Its pointing out the obvious buy anyone whos dabbled in the f2p wasteland knows there is a substantial playerbase out there who are like a moth to a flame for any half-decent f2p multiplayers. Once you get these guys hooked a fair number will eventually fork out that cash anyway.
They knew that coming in with the idea so im rather surprised its not a shoe-in anymore. Even with the population imbalances, it would be epic for space marines to go against the odds and beat them back. If all else fails, unleash the tyranids behind orkish lines.

Present state the game is fun and has the bread and butter to keep me entertained (managing to get fairly decent k/d with the stalkerbolter on an Aus connection). But I am dearly missing the progression, doing well in a match and winning the objective really falls flat with no tangible reward at the end. I hope they patch it in soon.
Other gripes I have ; they need to turn down some of those bloom and lighting effects, I find it strange there isnt an option despite being in founder hands for a while. Movements are a bit clunky and getting stuck against things cause you either cannot jump or have to wait for a climb/vault option gets exhausting. Space Marines with shields are a fucking bitch to fight against, at least let us shoot at their legs so they cant calmly walk across an open field against 3 CSMs before taking on all of em at once in melee. On that point, melee needs some work, maybe its worse with my latency but its hard to tell whos doing what beyond swinging shit around. And lastly the models need some kind of damage markers to reflect how much health has been lost.

On the mmo issue, battlefield vs open continent side, im not really convinced its going to be better either way. Theres definitely a lack of player investment when your match victory gains a bit of arbitrary territory on an online map and a few status boosts. Same way you dont feel that proud being part of a 500 man offensive in a planetside 2 style takeover. All the glory tends to go towards a guild leader while you are left getting told which direction to shoot. For me the greatest incentives will be for individual and squad level rewards, gaining exclusive access to cooler side-grades, cosmetics and the rest. Maybe even generating in-game missions for elite groups to take a certain objective in less time or against greater odds. Basically having that recognition of superiority that stretches beyond a few dudes who run the war council or whatever.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
WTF, the patch increased my FPS by 10FPS. And it's actually utilizing my GPU to 100% (it was max 30% before). Think it has offloaded some of the physics calculations to the GPU. And AMD may not be good at UE4 physics.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I like Eternal Crusade. I didn't think it'd amount to much after years in limbo but... here we are. Hope it doesn't hit an iceberg any time soon.
I came into alpha literally not expecting anything near this. Like many of you, only expecting what I saw in streamers' videos. I only bought the game because I am a fanboy. Besides that, I again only expected a very very incomplete game.

So I completely understand the views of anyone who hasn't played. Because that was me.

Apparently it's actually been in "alpha" in 4 years. But again, being a broken record, it really feels like a decent Battlefield total conversion (which fans were trying to do a while ago).

I agree, though. Eldar and Orks can easily fuck up balance and shit. And if they go too far (too fast) in their ambition for an open world Planetside like shooter then it is a huge risk.

Again being a broken record, if they just keep the scope as it is now, and go through beta normally, I think it has a really good chance of being a solid game. No, not a great game, except for 40k fanboys. But moderately above average.

They just started testing 20v20 matches. Currently has the base vehicles that such a game needs: tanks and APC spawn points. Variety of weapons/classes that include AV, regular assault rifle, battle rifle, an SMG-like, jump assaults. Got Sorcerer spells, too.

Of course these weapons/classes are assets that they took or are clones from Space Marine. Which is why Eldar and Ork implementation is a very potential iceberg, as they have no precedent to go on.

IMO it's not vaporware or development that will hurt the game - that is working well on pace. But new assets are a truly potential "iceberg." Well, not an iceberg in terms of stalling development, but potential fuck ups in execution.

---

I keep having to urge to suggest that we move this thread out of the MMO forum lol. Crossing my fingers so hard that ambition doesn't overcome execution. K.I.S.S., I say.

Caim

Arcane
I wonder how they'd do it when adding several other races. For example, imagine an IG VS Chaos match. Guard weapons an armor sucks compared to the Chaos Marine stuff, so 16 VS 16 matches would be skewered against the IG. Would the IG be buffed so that they're tougher?

Or something like Tau VS Tyranids, with one wrecking face in the close combat you won't get into because of superior Tau firepower.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I wonder how they'd do it when adding several other races. For example, imagine an IG VS Chaos match. Guard weapons an armor sucks compared to the Chaos Marine stuff, so 16 VS 16 matches would be skewered against the IG. Would the IG be buffed so that they're tougher?

Or something like Tau VS Tyranids, with one wrecking face in the close combat you won't get into because of superior Tau firepower.
They're planning on any of those ideas, thankfully.

IG have not been talked about being put in.*

Tyranids are only going to be NPCs you fight in horde mode.

Orks are the only ones that will be really weird to balance.

*At least, I don't think. If they do a "mankind" army, I'd prefer a Witch Hunter/Inquisition-like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom