Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal Crusade (WH40K MMO)

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Except that Quake droppods were a cinematic and in Planetside 2 you can control your pod. imperial guard already have gravshutes and a well established tactic of dropping shitload of recently press ganged hiveworld scum upon their enemies. SM "standart" droppods is only better in terms of orbital deployment.

SM drop pods at least take a full squad. And what good does piloting the pod does if you can clearly see that the land without any cratering (just a big thump) and people can CLIP through them. Looks shit to me.

Saying that, I hope that WH40k will have more fun ways of deorbiting that what PS2 has.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
PS2 has drop pods as a means of alternative deployment, not as a massive invasion mechanism, which entirely kill the athmosphere.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
I kinda liked "Space Marine" (nothing I would re-play like ever, though), mostly for the lil co-op maps, but even so I don't think it translates well to MMO in any way.

Caim

Arcane
I liked Space Marine quite a bit and I agree that it does not translate well into an MMO without some significant changes and additions. Personally I would like to see more open and larger maps with more brothers running around at the same time. Oh, and more vehicles, weapons and equipment of course.

This would mean that the Space Marines have to move faster than they did in Space Marine, but that's no problem with the fluff.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
I'm especially doubtful since the developers seem to claim in a statement it would "not be a shooter". Well then, what else should it be, no RPG either? I'd think the best approach would be to just make it a third person shooter and be done with it, something like Battlefield maybe but with more diversity.

Caim

Arcane
I'm especially doubtful since the developers seem to claim in a statement it would "not be a shooter". Well then, what else should it be, no RPG either? I'd think the best approach would be to just make it a third person shooter and be done with it, something like Battlefield maybe but with more diversity.
Dynasty Warriors 40k. With guns.

And I've said it several times and I'll keep saying it: there needs to be a 40k Battlefront game with plenty of player freedom when it comes to factions, gear, player looks and vehicles.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Planetside 2 showed all the weaknesses of massive fps with open world. Infantry chew tanks in seconds. infantry chews any vehicle in seconds. Suicide attacks of infiltrators with c4 packs decimate any armour. Come to think of it - Assault marines and raptors act the same in fluff - jump on the tank, place melta and bail out.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Dynasty Warriors 40k. With guns.

And I've said it several times and I'll keep saying it: there needs to be a 40k Battlefront game with plenty of player freedom when it comes to factions, gear, player looks and vehicles.

But isn't this entire game pretty much battlefront, but taking place in the 40k universe? I am still waiting for the news about the engine that the studio is renting from another company as it is suppose to allow hundred of players to fight each other in the same area which PS 2 still can't do right now and I think only Mag achieved some success.

Dr Tomo

Learned
So it turns out there is more info released regarding the project.

Skimming through the article here are the snip-its that I noticed.

• Miguel Caron is the head of the studio running the project and his experience is mainly as a producer for Funcom and left to join Behavior Interactive
  • Behavior Interactive is a indie studio that has over 300 employees and are working on two projects, Star Citizen with Roberts and this Warhammer 40k IP
  • GW is looking over their shoulders like Lucas and the Star Wars films when he owned the franchise
  • This IP is a ARG (Alternate Reality Game) Someone can bother quoting this
  • It is a massive combat rpg and not a mmofps
  • Again reiterates his military degree from the Royal Military College of Canada and how this will benefit him in game design
  • Game combat is "viceral" and so it will be like Gears of War/Space Marine (THQ title)
  • There will be 40k vehicles in the game
  • Hierarchy system is squad (10) > strike force (100) > War council (you oversee the entire faction)
  • There are primary campaign and secondary ones of which it will last two weeks to three months
  • When you enter the game you will see the obj's set out between the different hierarchies and you aren't force to follow it, but you get exp bonuses if you do
  • No additional powers for the different hierarchic groups as they are meant to promote "social interaction"
  • There are "Promethean mines" which are procedural dungeons that people can farm tyranids for relics or some crap that boosts your character
Anyway stopped there for the time being as it is a long interview and it is late over here and I will post part 2 later. If you can't wait the link is down below and if I missed something point it out. Also the bullet list is in order of me skimming through the slog and pulling out things I think is worth knowing and for the lolz.
http://gamingbolt.com/warhammer-40k...all-out-online-war-next-gen-consoles-and-more

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Funcom, hmmm. They made:
The Secret World - shitty generic MMORPG
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures - insanely disbalanced MMORPG in decline

Dr Tomo

Learned
  • Mentions heroes that can be purchased with resources, but not sure if this is a class thing or a a.i entering into battle to assist you
  • There is something called "requisition points" that is the in game currency (also mentions council members that can tell people to switch there gear or some shit)
  • They are going to have a war economy where you can trade "requisition points" and limitations will be placed for fluff reasons, like chaos > space marine trade
  • Apparently the economy is also going to affect the campaign where he uses Eldar as an example where instead of attacking Space Marines head on you will go for their mining facilities. Think PS 2 global resources is the idea.
  • So all factions will have equal territory at the start, but surrounded by Tyrannids which are controlled by the a.i
  • Nid's are not a playable race
  • Ultimate goal is to have all factions in the game
  • They have a beta where the send newsletters to people if you sign up, also apparently fans want Tau, Necrons, and Sisters of Battle to be included in the game soon
  • Dev's are forced to spend 30 min to 1 hour a day on forums answering ?'s aka they really want to communicate with the fans
  • There might be titans in the game as he said the creative director mentioned a titan manufacturing facility in a twitch Q&A stream
  • Dynamic weather is being worked on and uses Stalingrad as an example of the scale they are looking at
  • There will be limitations on customization because of technical limitations and so you can tell who is friend or foe
  • Tyranids will not enter a pvp battle because of performance issues and they are used to eat territory in the rear when one faction is being overly dominant
  • One planet with many continents and no word on population
  • Not going to focus on balance like in other mmo's and gives a chess example of a white queen to a black pawn
  • Closed beta starts next year
  • So PC is being worked on first and Xbone + PS 4 later reason is so we can all play together PC gamers with console tards
  • Game will come out in 2015 is the place holder date
  • Building the game for the minimum specs
  • Goal is to become the League of Legends of the genre for massive combat rpg and dynamic world
Next post will cover the in game cash shop and player cruisers with guild function. Again if I miss something please post it as I am skimming through the slog as the guy doesn't really give short/concise answers to the questions.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Sounds p. cool.

So PC is being worked on first and Xbone + PS 4 later reason is so we can all play together PC gamers with console tards
When does that ever work? :lol:

:hmmm:
  • Monetization will be built into the game from the beginning and that p2w is over the directors dead body
  • Gives and example that the items you buy in a shop ex. used is a sword will be less powerful then the one grinded in a dungeon for
  • There is going to be individual & group packages so sounds like a Roberts model
  • You can merge your personal ship with others to make a battleship that the guild owns which will have living rooms , training rooms, trophy rooms, and etc
  • Purpose is currently social and later they want to add a feature that you can bombard, but till then it is mainly to strategize
  • For this strike to happen it will require tonz of resources of which +100 people are going to have to assist in gathering it
  • Director says the strike is a strategic decision and not a tactical and that you need to go to military school to know the difference between tactics and strategy
So that sums up the article from my skim. I think the guy has his head up his own ass as he keeps gloating his military strategy degree and I look forward to the game turning out to be just like or worse then war at release. If anyone wants to point out anything else that is pant on head retarded or something kool that I missed, please do so.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Director says the strike is a strategic decision and not a tactical and that you need to go to military school to know the difference between tactics and strategy
:lol:
I was just going to mention that I understand the difference (if not the context, since I didn't read the article, LOL) perfectly well without having a military degree. Then I remembered that I left the army as the equivalant of Private First Class. Dunno if that makes him or me look more retarded (but for the sake of closure, I'd say him :troll:)

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Monetization will be built into the game from the beginning and that p2w is over the directors dead body
  • Gives and example that the items you buy in a shop ex. used is a sword will be less powerful then the one grinded in a dungeon for
  • There is going to be individual & group packages so sounds like a Roberts model
  • You can merge your personal ship with others to make a battleship that the guild owns which will have living rooms , training rooms, trophy rooms, and etc
  • Purpose is currently social and later they want to add a feature that you can bombard, but till then it is mainly to strategize
  • For this strike to happen it will require tonz of resources of which +100 people are going to have to assist in gathering it
  • Director says the strike is a strategic decision and not a tactical and that you need to go to military school to know the difference between tactics and strategy
So that sums up the article from my skim. I think the guy has his head up his own ass as he keeps gloating his military strategy degree and I look forward to the game turning out to be just like or worse then war at release. If anyone wants to point out anything else that is pant on head retarded or something kool that I missed, please do so.
I can't say I don't like where they are heading. Action massive meat grinder - I can live with that. I can enjoy it. Yes, in general, warhammer community waited for turn-based tactical game, i.e. Chaos gate successor, but Warhammer Planetside is a good genre as well. And looking how planetside 2 is still fun even with horrible flaws it have proves that there's a huge demand for massive battles.
Hell, 100+ vs 100+ battles in Planetside is the most entertaining thing in the game, especially when tank salvo and machine gun fire wipes 80% of charging infantry squads and you still manage to take enemy position with rag-tag survivors. Or decimating enemy tank columns from the mountain ridge. Or holding back enemy assault when you are outnumbered like 3 to 1. Should they succeed in emulating this in EC as well I would count it as a success.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
What Is Combat Like In Eternal Crusade?
We get this question a lot so I'm doing my part to get the word out:

Even though it's an MMO, Eternal Crusade plays out like a proper third-person shooter and in this regard one of our big inspirations is Space Marine. You point where you want to shoot or strike and hitting your target is largely based on skill. There are no ability bars or auto-attack systems.

Of course, we also have an RPG system, so for example the spread on your shots will be based on a variety of factors, including what kind of gun you're using, its upgrades, and an accuracy score from your character. Games like Deus Ex work this way.

However, since this is a PvP-focused (though not exclusive) MMO, your progression is largely horizontal, meaning that you unlock new things to equip on your character, but they'll generally have to replace other options and choose how to specialize. Think of the recent equip systems in Call of Duty, War of the Roses, or various mech games as examples here.

Each faction has ~5 primary classes, and depending on how you build your loadout (accessories, weapons, items, etc) for that class there are a multitude of possible specializations. Eternal Crusade is also a massive tactical wargame so not every specialization will be equal when going toe to toe with each other - you should either bring friends to make up for your weaknesses or deploy your loadout in the circumstances that favor your specialty. Since you can change classes and loadouts whenever you deploy to the field, you're not locked into your choice for hundreds of hours or anything.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
unityconfirmmaybe.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom