Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Euro Truck Simulator 2

Nael

Arcane
Game is on sale on Steam. I picked it up. Any recommended mods?

Also, no right turn on a red in Europe? What sort of faggotry is this?

:rage:

Nael

Arcane

Lol, I live about 20 minutes from where that accident happened. This is happening all the time on that ramp. It resembles a rollercoaster ramp and if you aren't careful it really can become one. About 5 miles up the highway on I-465 this happened a few years back as well:

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=11364982

The fire was so intense that it melted lightposts over 500 yards away and deposited black soot on buildings within a 2 mile radius.

Switched out my Scania for a Volvo because I was tired of the occasional stall on inclines and what a difference it made. My upgraded beginner Volvo is better than most high level trucks from other manufacturers with 700bhp and a 6x2-4 chassis that removes the initial Volvo tendency to flip when accelerating around a corner or taking a turn at over 75kmph.

That's interesting you bring this up. My first inclination upon starting my career in the game was to go Volvo because it is by far the most predominant European make semi seen on the road in the US. That says a lot when we have Mack and Peterbilt.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Game really is quite intense on the pc and hd. Crapped out quite a few times on my with the TSM 3.5 map mod. Then simply died when I went with the TSM 4.0 map mod. Seems it's quite buggy at the moment. Shame, as it really does do some great stuff into adding a shitload of places to go to and things to see. Only part I disliked was Africa. They really didn't quite get that right.

Now chilling out driving loads through Scandinavia. Looking forward to the upcoming Going East DLC.

Game is on sale on Steam. I picked it up. Any recommended mods?

Well, where to start? There are literally over a thousand already around. Here are a few I enjoy(ed). Project Realism is a very good one with Extra AI Traffic, Gamefixes, Realistic Cockpit FOV, Realistic Lightning and Realistic Weather Sounds the part I use. It contains a file for more and more varied AI traffic but if that one's not to your liking I can also recommend ETS2 141 Realistic AI Traffic Mod ver 2 by Scanreg. As far as map mods go I went with TSM 3.5 with Just Play Mod 3.5 (link goes towards their 'hidden' update and mod download site) at first. Adds most of Europe and the JPM mod turns the businesses into real existing brand names. TSM 4.0 is also out already. It disagrees with my pc however so I switched to the smaller (and highly detailed) Scandinavia one from promods. Realistic Physics Mod v7.0 (1.4.1+) (by KacaK) is a great physics mod without going overboard. zReal Headlights v1.4.1 (by nIGhT-SoN) is the one mod to make AI headlights realistic. For more trailers on the road I use trailers-pack-se-1.8.1. Plus ofcourse a shitload of radio stations for that Euro vibe. Pick the ones you like and see what ones work together.

If I wanted to do it quick and dirty I'd simply use everything from Project Realism together with the real headlights one and be done with it. Plus the radio stations. I love those.

Mods are in varying difficulty to find. There are lots of sites hosting a number of them but some mod groups have their own site and refuse to let their mod be distributed otherwise. Some of them even operate in an invite only way. Spergers gonna sperg I guess. There are lots more out there and no real place where they get reviewed in-depth. Just ask and look around. Some of the most popular and best ones are on the SCS Software forum but the biggest map mods all have their own sites.

Anyway, the game is momentarily for sale on 66% off for those interested.

Nael

Arcane
Not to mention the distressing lack of any livestock in any field in Europe. Cows can't be that hard to make.

Spotted in Poland:

ets2_00002_zpsc644bb3b.png

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Using a mapmod, Nael? I saw them pop up in TSM 3.5.

Some of the better traffic and map mods also introduce real fun stuff like cyclists on overpasses and so on. Love how people really try to bring the game to life even more.

Last edited:

Nael

Arcane
Using a mapmod, Nael? I saw them pop up in TSM 3.5.

Some of the better traffic and map mods also introduce real fun stuff like cyclists on overpasses and so on. Love how people really try to bring the game to life even more.

I was using no mods whatsoever at the time of that screenshot.

And you were right about TSM 4.0. It doesn't run at all. Even standalone. I wonder if it's a localization issue?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Kewl. Cows are in then. Also saw some horses near a farm (transport destination) today.

TSM 3.5 also has problems. From the game logs I guess it has to do with lots of the models using an outdated mesh or something. Which takes up a lot of computing power and thus kills the game after a certain time or when in heavily model rich areas. Hope they'll put some more work in optimising their mod for the upcoming patch. TSM really is a splendid map but it's simply not playable now. What surprises me is how their own forums simply don't acknowledge it. At least not the public ones. Do try the Scandinavia mapmod though, Nael. It's neat and runs flawlessly for me.

Last edited:

Nael

Arcane
Kewl. Cows are in then. Also saw some horses near a farm (transport destination) today.

TSM 3.5 also has problems. From the game logs I guess it has to do with lots of the models using an outdated mesh or something. Which takes up a lot of computing power and thus kills the game after a certain time or when in heavily model rich areas. Hope they'll put some more work in optimising their mod for the upcoming patch. TSM really is a splendid map but it's simply not playable now. What surprises me is how their own forums simply don't acknowledge it. At least not the public ones. Do try the Scandinavia mapmod though, Nael. It's neat and runs flawlessly for me.

I'll give it a shot. Does it run with TSM 3.5, do you know?

Nael

Arcane
Nope. Both TSM 3.5 as Scandinavia have their own map for Denmark. Thus conflict. How is 3.5 running for you, btw?

I have had no problems thus far but I only have around 5% map discovery so far.

Nael

Arcane
I guess Germans have a gas problem in their country...? o_O

ets2_00007_zps53e7db6b.png

Port of Verona (EDIT: Er, Ancona):

ets2_00010_zps5f8a3496.png

ets2_00009_zpsebd25584.png

Some shots of Greece (TSM 3.5 mod)

ets2_00013_zps0ee8319d.png

ets2_00019_zps055ac7f1.png

ets2_00022_zpsc1e395e7.png

ets2_00025_zps0debe786.png

ets2_00028_zpsf5a8f879.png

Last edited:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Picked this up during a recent sale and I have to say it's a really nice and relaxing game - I didn't expect that I'd enjoy a truck-driving simulation that much, but there you go. :)

Stokowski

Arcane
I running TSM 3.5 and although most of it is very nice there are problems - like all the traffic lights facing the wrong way in Gibraltar, and the way the super steep inclines in North Africa and Greece slow you down so much the following AI traffic ploughs straight into your arse and leaving your trailer 49% damaged.
:x:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Not to mention the distressing lack of any livestock in any field in Europe. Cows can't be that hard to make.

Spotted in Poland:

I just wanted to report one observation, as I just returned from a delivery that took me through South Poland, East Germany, South German and North Switzerland.

The thing is, the only cows I spotted were near Dresden... one herd, nothing more besides that. This games depiction of cows appearance near highways my well be correct.

Nael

Arcane

Spotted in Poland:

I just wanted to report one observation, as I just returned from a delivery that took me through South Poland, East Germany, South German and North Switzerland.

The thing is, the only cows I spotted were near Dresden... one herd, nothing more besides that. This games depiction of cows appearance near highways my well be correct.

Come to think of it you don't see livestock near highways around here either because a single cow that gets out of its pen could result in a spectacularly lethal encounter for everyone involved...

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So what is it that makes this game fun, are there any interesting missions to do, like smuggling drugs ? Or are you basically just driving and watching the scenery, a la Skyrim but in a truck ?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Its about as exciting as driving a truck, speeding is a bit fun but it is more for a relaxing while listening to music. The game lets you put your own playlist on the radio.
Actually IRL when I was in an industrial area I was looking with interesting at a truck driver having great difficulties navigating the small roads, it must be a really stressful job.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Yeah, long stretches of chill and then a few moments of terror. Like war.
Truck drivers are heroes.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
http://www.destructoid.com/review-euro-truck-simulator-2-243592.phtml

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/euro-truck-simulator-2-review/

And personally, I both enjoy the whole enjoying the scenery as the slowly improving my rig, character, bank account and business side of it. It's also strangely relaxing.
So relaxing in fact that I often fall asleep behind the wheel and smash into hapless European families going on vacation. Just like what happens in real life. It's so beautiful.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Are there any map mods that turn parts of, say, norway into some snowy landscapes?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Base game and Eastern Europe Expansion are 50% off at Steam at the moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom