Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Ever, Jane: The Virtual World of Jane Austen

Lhynn

Arcane

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, ive had p. good RPs, very :obviously:, a lot more than most PnP sessions end up being (not as fun tho). So ive found that if it doesnt work for you, then you either got very unlucky or are part of the problem.

Delterius

Arcane
Lhynn What kind of roleplaying are you talking about? People straight up interpreting characters as they mechanically interact with the gameworld (not entirely unlike other players do, just, perhaps, with a different playstyle?) or just fucking around in the game's chat in a special manner? Is that limited to more niche communities, such as PWs, or have you ever experienced roleplaying in more massive if not mainstream games?

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, there have been two instances where i have experienced full on RP, as in, you are your character, all the time, with very few exceptions allowed. You behave like your character would, and straying too far from that could lead to penalties, also metagame knowledge is forbidden and you are forced to react to stuff your character is not supposed to know but you do, as if you didnt.
You need to submit a background for your character, a coherent one with the world you are going to play in, and for that you need to read some documents about the setting, usually very brief.

The first one was in nwn, where i played on serveral persistent worlds, the second one on a browser based game, pretty historically accurate. Anyway, for that to work you need a special kind of crowd playing the game. One where ive seen the kind of Rp that this game would accept was in City of Heroes, where most people roleplayed their character to some degree (varying from normal players of any kind of mmo to people really committed that crafted huge in depth backgrounds of their characters and even spoke in a manner than the hero would).

The kind of crowd this games aims to is adult, mature, educated gamers that can commit to certain compromises if it means their entertainment will be enhanced. so... pretty much MILFs and MIWLF (that W is a wouldnt), by extension their male friends and finally also people interested in doing something more than hunting for 10 wolves, so i dont feel people roleplaying all the time in this game would be much of a stretch.

DramaticPopcorn

[..]metagame knowledge is forbidden[..]

happy-grin-l.png

I heard that in FOnline it got to the point that everyone just started hunting Russians just to be on the safe side.

The Russian / Non-Russian relationship in those games always made me want a russian-infested version of SS2. There's just something about the way all encounters go: (1) someone speaks, (2) you realise they're speaking russian, or they realise you don't speak russian, (3) zerg. You never know who's 'infected' until it's too late...

Well, there have been two instances where i have experienced full on RP, as in, you are your character, all the time, with very few exceptions allowed. You behave like your character would, and straying too far from that could lead to penalties, also metagame knowledge is forbidden and you are forced to react to stuff your character is not supposed to know but you do, as if you didnt.
You need to submit a background for your character, a coherent one with the world you are going to play in, and for that you need to read some documents about the setting, usually very brief.

The first one was in nwn, where i played on serveral persistent worlds, the second one on a browser based game, pretty historically accurate. Anyway, for that to work you need a special kind of crowd playing the game. One where ive seen the kind of Rp that this game would accept was in City of Heroes, where most people roleplayed their character to some degree (varying from normal players of any kind of mmo to people really committed that crafted huge in depth backgrounds of their characters and even spoke in a manner than the hero would).

The kind of crowd this games aims to is adult, mature, educated gamers that can commit to certain compromises if it means their entertainment will be enhanced. so... pretty much MILFs and MIWLF (that W is a wouldnt), by extension their male friends and finally also people interested in doing something more than hunting for 10 wolves, so i dont feel people roleplaying all the time in this game would be much of a stretch.

Was more common in MUDs. Often they'd have separate OOC (out of character) chat channels, and all important ingame communication had to be in the IC channel. Not that many MUDs insisted on Tolkien speak - more that there were very few restrictions on PvP, and PvP perma-death was much more common, so it was a way of forcing people to play their faction. Very often it was just a catch-all way of excluding shitty gameplay - e.g. allowing PvP but excluding 'I'm playing a random serial killer LOL', without needing to spell out a precise rule for it.

Lhynn

Arcane
Was more common in MUDs. Often they'd have separate OOC (out of character) chat channels, and all important ingame communication had to be in the IC channel. Not that many MUDs insisted on Tolkien speak - more that there were very few restrictions on PvP, and PvP perma-death was much more common, so it was a way of forcing people to play their faction. Very often it was just a catch-all way of excluding shitty gameplay - e.g. allowing PvP but excluding 'I'm playing a random serial killer LOL', without needing to spell out a precise rule for it.
Yes, i could see that aproach working. It is a bit heavy handed but should save the game a lot of problems.

Dr Tomo

Learned
So is there going to be perma death involved? Where once I destroy their reputation and so they are forced to commit harakiri suicide to redeem some e-honor. D1p if this is in the game.

Lhynn

Arcane
So is there going to be perma death involved? Where once I destroy their reputation and so they are forced to commit harakiri suicide to redeem some e-honor. D1p if this is in the game.
Doubt that this will be the case, from what ive seen its mostly about ruining someone till they are forced to suck cocks under a bridge just to get something to eat. Imagine running the company of Lady Minerva to the ground just because she had the nerve not to dance with you in the party you organized last weekend, then hiring her to work on your cotton plantation.
You should always be able to make a comeback, Edmond Dantes style.

Data4

Arcane
Would love that as a single player game, indeed. It might be girly, but it has the potential to be something different which is something video games need.

Sadly, this will be populated by people bunny hopping, grinding for social stats+++ and trading on the marketplace for the best dress of +8 attractiveness.

That's assuming the devs' collective balls and tits aren't nailed to the wall by the PC gestapo for having the audacity to make a game set during a time when LGBTWTFBBQ was considered an aberration and thus is not playable.

Would love that as a single player game, indeed. It might be girly, but it has the potential to be something different which is something video games need.

Sadly, this will be populated by people bunny hopping, grinding for social stats+++ and trading on the marketplace for the best dress of +8 attractiveness.

That's assuming the devs' collective balls and tits aren't nailed to the wall by the PC gestapo for having the audacity to make a game set during a time when LGBTWTFBBQ was considered an aberration and thus is not playable.

You could play it just fine - in fact, there's probably a great addition to the game in it. Have to keep hidden, not let others find your secrets and get enough leverage to destroy mercilessly anyone who does find out and can't be trusted (people made a LOT of exceptions for $$$ or power). Far away from the centre of power it's quite easy to stay hidden as nobody will really care, but as you gain more power to destroy those that threaten you, it also becomes a greater liability that others will hunt out in the search for social leverage. On the flipside, you're totally free to game the system - you couldn't care less about who you're married to, so long as they're a likeminded power-seeker regardless of sexual orientation, so you've greater freedom to use hetero attraction as another social and political tool.

Visbhume

Prophet

You could play it just fine - in fact, there's probably a great addition to the game in it. Have to keep hidden, not let others find your secrets and get enough leverage to destroy mercilessly anyone who does find out and can't be trusted

Absolutely agree, it would be nice to have this kind of thing modeled in a CRPG. Or, more generally, some kind of "have to keep this thing secret" situation. Apart for tracking your reputation with each faction/NPC, there could be a "suspicion level" stat or something similar.

Now I want a Edwardian/Victorian lesbo rpg.

http://rictornorton.co.uk/lister.htm
http://msmagazine.com/blog/2010/08/02/anne-lister-jane-austens-radical-lesbian-contemporary/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-Mary-Benson-Archbishop-Canterburys-wife.html

Data4

Arcane

You could play it just fine - in fact, there's probably a great addition to the game in it. Have to keep hidden, not let others find your secrets and get enough leverage to destroy mercilessly anyone who does find out and can't be trusted (people made a LOT of exceptions for $$$ or power). Far away from the centre of power it's quite easy to stay hidden as nobody will really care, but as you gain more power to destroy those that threaten you, it also becomes a greater liability that others will hunt out in the search for social leverage. On the flipside, you're totally free to game the system - you couldn't care less about who you're married to, so long as they're a likeminded power-seeker regardless of sexual orientation, so you've greater freedom to use hetero attraction as another social and political tool.

That's nice for people who truly want to roleplay that scenerio. I'm talking more about the answer to that question in the FAQ and how there's probably already a contingency of assholes with a "HOW DARE YOU!?!?!" primed and loaded in protest to the despicable, exclusionary, and discriminatory portrayal of society in a period setting.

That's nice for people who truly want to roleplay that scenerio. I'm talking more about the answer to that question in the FAQ and how there's probably already a contingency of assholes with a "HOW DARE YOU!?!?!" primed and loaded in protest to the despicable, exclusionary, and discriminatory portrayal of society in a period setting.

Oh absolutely, and I agree that it would screw the setting to have a system where people have modern views on sexuality.

Delterius

Arcane
Got to say, there's always a rather easy answer to all those who accuse the gal of evil discrimination. Meaning, 'do you want me to lie about the time period? do you want me to pretend that homossexuals and what have you did not suffer discrimination?'. That should hit home with a lot of countries out there that hide their bigotry.

Mirthless

Educated
Cant wait for gossip griefing leagues and terrorist groups blocking entrances to shops and estates.
:thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom