Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Everlasting Summer - Soviet Waifus, It's Heaven [NSFW]

I kept hoping for Right Sector led by Skyway and dressed in Duty suits would appear ala deus ex machina.

Shame, really. They should have me write one.

Idiott

Arcane
DMz3M80.jpg

WbBbE77.jpg

The jingle seemed to be coming from the depth of my consciousness.
But after I came to my senses, I realized that the cause of this jingle is my alarm clock.

~ Strange. Where did it come from? Why is it standing near my bed? ~

It was half past seven, according to the clock.
Olga Dmitryevna had already left, and there was nobody to force me into coming to the lineup.

~ Thus I can sleep a bit more. ~

I closed my eyes, but seemed like my consciousness already had its coffee and was ready for a long productive day. I need to get up.

~ I should plan my day out. After all, I need to find out at least something today. ~

But still nothing came to my head.

~ Fine. I need to wake up completely and wash myself. ~

d7ovnDW.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
What got you up so early?
hjyoNmj.png
Anything wrong with being up early?

She looked at me as if I had insulted her.

MnfQDOr.png
No, nothing. Just being curiuos.
hjyoNmj.png
None of your business!

Gosh. Zhenya isn't very sympathetic even in a good mood. But today she just looked furious.

bkJllat.jpg

Cold water cheered me up, fog in my head dissipated and my thoughts started arranging themselves.
Curiously, I started to worry about occupying a good place in the canteen more then about finding answers.
I brushed my teeth and was going to leave, when a quiet waft passed my ears.

~ It's probably a squirrel, or some other animal. ~

I heard another waft, this time a bit farther.

IRTJnhu.jpg

Nobody. Just the morning forest.

cCen96Q.jpg

Noticing me, she smiled and jumped up to me.

oDNpmFR.png
Oh, hello! Good morning! I accidentally scattered my toothpowder. Just trying to gather it all back.

Dewed grass didn't seem to be helping her.

MnfQDOr.png
Are you sure that's a good idea?
VopEwDR.png
I'm sure brushing your teeth with toothpowder mixed with dirt is a great experience.
ktqUq86.png
Well, why? What else can I do? I don't have any more! It was my last.

She pouted as a child, who just had her favorite toy taken from her.

MnfQDOr.png
Here, I'll give you mine...

I digged in my bag.
No toothpaste there.

~ Hmmm... strange. Didn't I just put it there. I walked away for just a minute, and now it's gone. ~

MnfQDOr.png
Listen, it looks like I have forgotten it.

I didn't want to tell her that it just gone missing.
Knowing the sensitivity of this girl, it was safe to assume that vanishing household chemicals would impress her so much that her brain would reset itself in order to avoid overheating.

MnfQDOr.png
Well, I'll go...
CCOkQh9.png
Yeah, cheers. Visit us... I mean, me, in the music club, I'm still alone there. But we... I mean I...

Miku's voice faded in freshness of a summer morning far behind me.

tGkccet.jpg

Enough power for a day, maybe even less.

~ Of course it won't help me much in here, but still... ~

Finding a charger in the eighties means inventing it.

BvelciB.jpg

3haQf9b.jpg

waSvxqy.png
Good morning. Have you seen Olga Dmitrievna?

I stared at her breasts. They had just mesmerised me too much the day before.

VopEwDR.png
Maybe there is some hope for you still :thumbsup:

nDpULtG.png
Semyon?

Slavya was looking at me worryingly, but I still couldn't manage to shift my gaze away from her breasts.

nDpULtG.png
Is something wrong?
MnfQDOr.png
On the contrary, everything is just...
nDpULtG.png
Olga Dmitrievna...?
MnfQDOr.png
I don't know, she wasn't here when I woke up.

I finally managed to control myself.

t6Dhpqp.png
Fine, I still have one thing to do, so see you at breakfast.

5CSWdUT.jpg

VopEwDR.png
The rest of the day goes as usual. We learn that Shurik is missing and look for him on the camp, go to the beach with Alisa and Ulyana, substitute for the nurse. Alisa blows up Genda and Electronik finds Shurik's shoe.

4G0NjRN.jpg

VopEwDR.png
Obviously...

em4gPdy.jpg

uadgSOU.png
Very well! It's better together.
MnfQDOr.png
Are you sure?

I asked Slavya in a whisper.
I wanted to be sure, but...

She didn't answer, just smiled.
I looked speechlessly at Slavya for some time.

~ Why is she always helping me? ~

uadgSOU.png
Very good! Good luck then, both of you.
MnfQDOr.png
We'll need it...

JAeJKPA.jpg

I was quite surprised that they're treating our night walk... through the forest... to the abandoned camp as something normal.

~ Well... it can't really be helped. ~

waSvxqy.png
Wait a minute, I'll bring a flashlight.

~ A flashlight, sure... ~

While I was waiting for Slavya, I has a strange thought.

~ Why is she always so kind, sympathetic and ready to help? ~
~ Why did she offer to go with me to God-knows-where? ~
~ It's always the quiet ones... ~
~ Should I be concerned about her? ~

t6Dhpqp.png
I'm back!

With a smile Slavya gave me a flashlight.

t6Dhpqp.png
Shall we go?

From what Electronik told us, the old building was built right after the war.
It looked like a kindergarten (or like a barracks, I expected) and definitely could hold less pioneers than today's camp.
It had been abandoned for about twenty years...

rsUKg5y.jpg

It seemed like the forest was as afraid of us as we were of it. Trees politely moved away, grouping at the sides of the path and patiently watching us.
An owl 'whoo'ed somewhere far away, but more quietly than usual.
I wasn't afraid walking next to Slavya.

Probably in any other situation, even in the real world, I would be too scared to go into a forest without a proper path.
But I tried to get rid of these thoughts.
Although it was strange, Slavya probably soothed my self-preservation instincts and my sense of reality was blunted.
If it continues this way, I'll jump towards some beast with a smile on my face…

TFKWSy3.jpg

t6Dhpqp.png
Meaning?

Slavya turned round and looked at me, smiling in a strange way, either with misunderstanding or with gentle mockery. Or maybe I was just seeing things.

MnfQDOr.png
Well... Night, the forest, the old camp...
t6Dhpqp.png
Yes, it sort of gives me the chills.
MnfQDOr.png
Just sort of?
waSvxqy.png
Are you afraid?
MnfQDOr.png
No... Well... Yes, but it's a natural human reaction in this kind of situation.

I didn't want to show my fear, but I wasn't really scared. I just felt that being scared is what I should be in a situation like this.
It was like my body had stopped producing antibodies to fight against an infection. I was scared, not by the night forest, but by the fact that I was reacting to everything that was happening in the wrong way.
On the other hand, I didn't want to make a fool of myself.

t6Dhpqp.png
I see.

Slavya smiled again and continued walking.

The path, surrounded by trees and bushes, was becoming more narrow.
The deeper we went into the forest, the less clearly we could see the moon.
For a moment clouds hid the moon and everything was submerged into almost pitch black darkness.
I closed my eyes tight and when I opened them the moon had taken its place again and painted the world in the bright-white colors of its night shroud.

~ I only just realised how much I hate the dark! ~

Finally a clear space appeared far away ahead and a minute later we were standing at the edge of a forest glade.

arQGiwK.jpg

It smiled at us with broken windows like a gap-toothed mouth. A silent rebuke from the dead to the living could be read in this smile.
A cemetery fog clouded the whole glade so ghosts, ghouls, zombies, devils and other evil entities seemed to loom from the haze.
This sight was enough to give the average person a heart attack, or at least a panic attack.

9sXxkU7.jpg

Fa3yyEl.png
It won't be as scary this way.

She smiled.
I couldn't say anything else, just grasped her hand tightly.

~ What am I even doing here? Looking for Shurik at night in the forest, here?! ~
~ How could I ever agree? There's not a single normal person who would... ~
~ But the world around me can't be really be called normal. ~

I tried to persuade myself that I was finding answers and that it can't really get any worse.
To be honest, nothing bad had actually happened to me during the last four days in this camp. Besides, I had no special reason to think that something bad would happen.
Maybe it's just the way the world works – people can't live without adventures?

waSvxqy.png
Shall we go?
MnfQDOr.png
Um, yes, I guess...

But we didn't make a move.
Slavya seemed to be waiting for me to take the first step, but I had just enough courage to stand still without running away.

naqGo6m.jpg

Now it less looked like a tomb, but all dead pictures in my imagination grew real. Visions of ghosts became more focused, the wailing of the wind and the grass rustling got clearer. Noises of the unknown origin could be heard from afar.

waSvxqy.png
Seems like it was a great place, before...

I looked at Slavya carefully.
Maybe she was scared, but she was trying to hide it. Knowing that I felt a little better and calmer.

MnfQDOr.png
Maybe. Let's go?
waSvxqy.png
Sure...

I stepped carefully, watching every step, trying not to touch the old fence, the crooked merry-go-round, or the rusty slide.
In some places the grass was waist-high, so any wrong move could lead to broken legs or hands.
At last we came to the entrance and I pointed my flashlight inside.
The darkness that looked back at me was much scarier than the view outside – at least the moon shone brightly there.
I gathered up all my courage and crossed the threshold.

kkEyz1X.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
Well...

I shivered, picking out more and more remains of the joy of children long gone with the flashlight.

7JyxLQI.jpg

Slavya was not only holding my hand by now, but embracing it, firmly pressing herself against me.
However I didn't sense fear in her voice.

MnfQDOr.png
I wonder whether it was a good idea to come here in the middle of the night?
AVXqiBe.png
Perhaps not.
MnfQDOr.png
Shall we go back then?
nDpULtG.png
No! What about Shurik?

She said in genuine astonishment.

MnfQDOr.png
Well, Shurik... Why did he even come here in the first place? Maybe he isn't even here?
FhZThlh.png
Where else could he be?
MnfQDOr.png
I don't know. Eaten by wolves, maybe?
J9Jn0vQ.png
Don't say that!

Slavya frowned and stepped away from me.
I was already so used to being with her that I was slightly upset by her reproach.

MnfQDOr.png
Well, okay, okay... let's assume that there are no wolves.

~ Though you can never be sure... ~

MnfQDOr.png
Well, since we're here, let's search.

We searched all the rooms of the old camp: play rooms, bedrooms, canteen, kitchen and toilets. I even looked into the closet, which was choked with empty, decayed cardboard boxes.

nDpULtG.png
Look!

When we returned to the place we started from, Slavya picked up something from the floor and gave it to me.
It was an old doll with torn, frayed threads, missing an hand and an eye, faded from damp.

MnfQDOr.png
So what?
FhZThlh.png
I pity it...
MnfQDOr.png
What? This doll?
FhZThlh.png
Yes.
MnfQDOr.png
Why would you pity it?
FhZThlh.png
Someone played with her, then just threw her away and forgot about her. And she's been here alone all these years, in the rain, in the cold...
VopEwDR.png
Well...

I couldn't really tell if Slavya was serious or not.
I don't think this is the time to think about such things.
On the other hand, what would be the proper time for that?
Slavya looked really upset.

MnfQDOr.png
Yes, maybe.

I took the doll and examined it.
I remember how I once found a stuffed lion the same way that Slavya just found this doll. I took him home, washed him and was as careful with him as with other toys, even though he was long past his retirement age.

MnfQDOr.png
You should give it to Ulyana.

Slavya laughed.
Suddenly the wind howled down the passage, singing some kind of eerie tune.
A light flashed and I instinctively jumped, caught my leg on something and tumbled to the floor.

AVXqiBe.png
Are you alright?

Slavya ran over to me and helped me get up.

MnfQDOr.png
Yes, more or less...

I'd tripped on a trapdoor.
It's strange that we hadn't noticed it already – the dirt around the door was cleared. It seems like it was opened not too long ago.

MnfQDOr.png
We're not going down there, are we?

I asked, trying to pre-empt Slavya's suggestion.
She only gave me a sad glance.

MnfQDOr.png
Come on... are we playing at diggers now?

I moaned, while lifting the hatch cover with quite an effort.
My common sense was crying out, telling me I shouldn't do this, but contrarily my logic suggested that if this world wanted to kill me, I'd already be dead.
But it's only because of Slavya, otherwise there's no way I would go down there!
Two metres of a rusty metal ladder led down to a dirty concrete floor.
I leaned over the edge and illuminated a narrow passage, going somewhere into the darkness.

MnfQDOr.png
And what is there?
waSvxqy.png
I think I heard about a bomb shelter under the old camp.
MnfQDOr.png
A bomb shelter?

Well, that's pretty logical, considering the time it was built.

MnfQDOr.png
Why would Shurik need to go there?
FhZThlh.png
I don't know.

~ Of course, it wasn't necessarily him who opened the hatch (and it's obvious that someone had opened it just recently), but who would be more likely to get the idea of going down there than a mad inventor? ~
~ If we discard theories of supernatural involvement, there can be no other humans in this forest. ~

At least that's what I thought.

MnfQDOr.png
Alright, I'll go first, then if everything is fine you follow me.
AVXqiBe.png
What might not be fine?

Slavya looked scared, but seemed to ask more out of politeness.

MnfQDOr.png
Well, I don't know... Rats, for example. Are you afraid of rats?

~ Guess I shouldn't have asked. ~

I sighed deeply and began to descend.

2KwRed6.jpg

In the pitch darkness, the flashlight was not helping much. Only occasionally it would illuminate pieces of old newspapers and scrap metal lying here and there.
Suddenly it began to feel as if the walls and the ceiling, covered in endless twisting cords, were pressing in on me, as if the passage was getting narrower.
I spread my arms, trying to measure the passage's width.

FhZThlh.png
Are we still far off?

Asked Slavya sadly.

MnfQDOr.png
Far from where? I've got no clue.
FhZThlh.png
Alright...

YeWnuuN.jpg

nDpULtG.png
Oh...

Cried Slavya softly.
I tried the handle, and it seemed to yield a bit.

MnfQDOr.png
You ready?
AVXqiBe.png
Not sure...

Though, speaking frankly, what could you prepare for in such a situation?
The wheel turned a few times, squeaking horribly, then finally reached its limit and went quiet.
I pulled on the door with all my weight, and it reluctantly opened. There was some sort of chamber behind it...

uhCokzp.jpg

When we entered, the lights suddenly went on, making me flinch.
Though it was likely that there was an independent power source here: at the time when these catacombs had been dug, people had been building things to last.
The bomb shelter looked exactly like what I imagined. It had everything needed to sustain prolonged human existence during a war: the lockers contained chemical protection suits, gas masks, dry rations and water cans. At the far wall, I noticed a lot of various tools: pressure metres, radiation metres, a radio and some others.
However, this place looked like nobody has ever used it (which was not actually that surprising). Furthermore, it looked like nobody had ever entered it after it was built.

Mpp8tnY.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
Well, Shurik is definitely not here.
nDpULtG.png
But was he?
MnfQDOr.png
No idea. But if he was here, he couldn't just vanish.

I looked around the room again and noticed another door in the wall to my left.

MnfQDOr.png
Maybe there?

However, the door wouldn't open.

FhZThlh.png
What if he barred it from the other side?
MnfQDOr.png
But why?
FhZThlh.png
I don't know...

Still, it was quite possible, assuming he was there at all.
By the look of things, Shurik was hiding, maybe running from someone.
Such thoughts made me uneasy, and I felt like putting myself on the other side of the door as fast as I could.
I pushed hard, but the door only gave a dull creak.

FhZThlh.png
Here, maybe this could work?

Slavya handed me a crowbar.
I fumbled with it, considering how I could better tackle the door.

MnfQDOr.png
Let's give it a try.

Lf4DLsD.jpg

While I was recovering from my effort, Slavya pointed the flashlight down the newly opened passage.

nDpULtG.png
There's a corridor here, just the same as the previous one.
MnfQDOr.png
Geez... This place is a real maze.
nDpULtG.png
Shall we go?
MnfQDOr.png
Hold on...

I sat down on a bunk, took a dusty pillowcase off a pillow and wiped my forehead.

MnfQDOr.png
Let me catch my breath.

Slavya sat down next to me and began to study the details of the floor tile patterns.

MnfQDOr.png
Better turn off the flashlight for now.
lsPb7fJ.png
Oh, yes...

She blushed slightly and clicked the switch off.

MnfQDOr.png
It's just plain creepy...
VopEwDR.png
Focus on Slavya's breasts and everything will be fine.

I caught myself thinking that I have not been treating these events as real for the last half an hour.
As if they had not been happening to me, as if they were just a dream.
Just like back then, four days ago, in the first minutes after I found myself here.

Yes, lately I might have started getting used to this world, this reality – as it has become reality for me.
And that feeling deep in my soul that I had to find an exit was not so acute anymore.
But now again, in a blink of an eye: the forest, the old camp, the bomb shelter.
There was absolutely nothing supernatural about any of it – but neither was it anything normal, like anything from my previous life.

FhZThlh.png
Yes...

Agreed Slavya.

MnfQDOr.png
Don't you find any of this strange?
nDpULtG.png
What exactly?
MnfQDOr.png
Well, the fact that we are sitting here, just you and me, in the night. Wouldn't it be normal in such situation to instead wait till morning and call the police?
waSvxqy.png
Yes, I guess so.

She replied thoughtfully.

MnfQDOr.png
Of course, I almost volunteered. I shouldn't have.

Well, 'almost' isn't quite right, but still.

FhZThlh.png
But you just wanted to help. If Shurik is here, we should find him as soon as possible.
MnfQDOr.png
At this rate we will be the ones they're looking for. You know, he did manage to get lost here.

Slavya looked frustrated.

MnfQDOr.png
Alright, alright, I didn't mean anything like that. Maybe he's not here, maybe he actually went back to the camp a long time ago.
Fa3yyEl.png
Yes, maybe.
MnfQDOr.png
But we should still check, right?
Fa3yyEl.png
Of course!

Slavya got up and held out her hand to me.
It seemed she wasn't as afraid as me.
Though I was already tired of being scared myself, and now only wanted all of this to end as soon as possible.

NET8ODZ.jpg

I was walking at a slow pace, carefully watching the floor and checking from time to time whether the passage was getting narrower.

KgGYz4H.jpg

R3MCxWN.jpg

It was wide enough for a man to climb through (or to fall down).

nDpULtG.png
Maybe...

I pointed the light down, but there seemed to be nothing but ground at the bottom.

MnfQDOr.png
I think we should check this out.

The hole was shallow enough for us to climb out afterwards, so at first sight there was nothing to be afraid of.

mWPtsM0.jpg

We found ourselves in some kind of mine.
The walls and the ceiling were reinforced by wooden beams, and rails stretched out into the distance.
Here and there the earth pressing down against this fragile design broke through the boards, which were rotting with age. It made the whole structure look a bit unreliable.

nDpULtG.png
Where do you think we are?
MnfQDOr.png
Don't know, some kind of mine. What could they have mined here?
nDpULtG.png
Coal, perhaps?
MnfQDOr.png
Perhaps...

We started to advance slowly.
Stones would treacherously shift under our feet now and then; the beam coming from the flashlight trembled and jumped from one wall to the other, often casting shapeless shadows which disappeared as soon as the light was pointed at them.

AVXqiBe.png
It's scarier here than above...
MnfQDOr.png
Guess so.

The further we went, the stronger my confidence became that Shurik had absolutely nothing to do with this place!

~ He couldn't have been taken by a chupacabra, could he? Alright, we can't rule out that possibility either. ~

1FYzYkY.jpg

mERZshN.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
I don't know.

I tried to inject at least some semblance of calm into my voice, but I really had no clue. None at all: not where to go, not where Shurik was, not even why we were here!

AVXqiBe.png
What if we get lost...?
MnfQDOr.png
Yeah, right, let's leave a mark that we have already been here.

I picked up a rather large stone and carefully carved a cross on one of the logs supporting the ceiling.

MnfQDOr.png
There, now we'll know that we have already passed this spot.
Fa3yyEl.png
Good.

Slavya smiled.

Fa3yyEl.png
So, which way?

VopEwDR.png
There is nothing new happening in the cavern: we find the neckerchief and nothing else. Nothing of interest in the mining station as well. I'll just skip them.

hFr1U8P.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
Well, at least that's something.

To tell the truth, I was so tired of wandering around this mine that I had completely stopped thinking about Shurik. I only wanted to find an exit as soon as possible.

nDpULtG.png
What's behind it?
MnfQDOr.png
We're just about to find it out.

O6SKMsk.jpg

The floor was littered with empty bottles and the walls were painted with a mess of graffiti, which meant that other people had more than once visited this place before us. Although, from the look of things, they had done so rather long ago.
I was running the flashlight's beam around the room, trying to check every part of it, when suddenly...

IRElTYT.jpg

nDpULtG.png
Shurik!

Cried Slavya.

However, it looked as if he was not paying any attention to us.

MnfQDOr.png
Here you are! We've been looking for you all night! Why in the world did you come here?

Shurik looked up at me with hazy, unseeing eyes.

VdtXruX.png
And who are you?
MnfQDOr.png
What do you mean 'who are you'? Get up already and let's go.
VdtXruX.png
I'm not going anywhere with you.

Shurik turned away and stared into the darkness again.

VdtXruX.png
You want to trick me again. You'll make me go in circles through the tunnels, won't you? Yes, you will! I know you for what you are!

Shurik's voice turned into an infernal whisper.

MnfQDOr.png
Cut this nonsense out already.

I wanted to approach him and pull him upright, but Slavya stopped me.

waSvxqy.png
He's not quite himself.
MnfQDOr.png
Well, I'm not quite myself either! You wander here all night – you sure won't be quite yourself.

She shook her head reproachfully and slowly went up to Shurik while carefully staying in the light.

vqPXWIU.jpg

YNNpGlO.png
For real?

Shurik looked at her and immediately started sobbing quietly.

FhZThlh.png
Of course! Who else could it be? And that's Semyon with me. We came to find you. Everything's fine now!
cmq0R2i.png
Are you really not them?
FhZThlh.png
Certainly not! We're us.

He tried to get up; but he was apparently disoriented and would have fallen if not for Slavya, who caught him by the arm.

FhZThlh.png
Easy there! Careful!

When they came up to me, I said:

MnfQDOr.png
Alright, time to get out of here!
F5KDurP.png
We can't go back...
MnfQDOr.png
Back where? Into the mine?
F5KDurP.png
Yes.

Shurik was speaking calmly, but at the same his voice was trembling slightly.

MnfQDOr.png
Why is that?
YNNpGlO.png
It's where... they are!
MnfQDOr.png
Who are 'they'?
YNNpGlO.png
The voices.
MnfQDOr.png
What voices?

I was starting to lose my patience.
This place and this situation certainly weren't normal, but if there had been anything paranormal here then, by the laws of horror cinema, it should have long since showed its face by now.

J9Jn0vQ.png
Calm down, Shurik. Just tell us everything in detail.

He took a few deep breaths and started:

GKr0nQY.png
I needed some spare parts for the robot, and I heard that there was a bomb shelter in the old camp. And there's usually a lot of different equipment in bomb shelters. It's old, of course, but worth disassembling: you can always find coils, resistors... So I went early in the morning, I thought I could finish quickly and get back by breakfast.
GKr0nQY.png
I got everything I needed.

He took some light bulbs and wires out of his pocket and showed them to us.

GKr0nQY.png
But then, up there in the bomb shelter, I heard some sounds from behind the door. Something like moans or wailing. At first I got scared, but then I thought that a person could be in danger. So I went there...
YNNpGlO.png
And here was this mine, this damn maze! I got completely lost. And the voices, the voices always telling me something, sometimes shouting, sometimes whispering, and I can never make out the words!

He was ready to burst into tears, but Slavya patted him gently on the head, and Shurik continued:

GKr0nQY.png
Anyway, I found this room, at least here you can't hear them...
VopEwDR.png
Well, charisma certainly isn't a dump stat for Slavya, as opposed to our hero...
MnfQDOr.png
So you decided to sit and wait for rescue, like in a B-film?

I asked sarcastically.
Slavya shot an angry glance at me.

MnfQDOr.png
Well, in any case, it's time to get out! If there are no objections.
GKr0nQY.png
Come, I know a short cut!
MnfQDOr.png
A short cut?
GKr0nQY.png
Yeah, you know, I walked all over this place.
MnfQDOr.png
Alright...

Shurik did not lie.

ntsX8ul.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
Then why didn't you get out yourself?
GKr0nQY.png
Try it, you'll see.

I pulled myself up and pulled on the grate a few times.

~ It's true, you can't break it just like that. Gotta use something heavy... ~

I looked down at Slavya and Shurik.

waSvxqy.png
Try the flashlight, maybe?
MnfQDOr.png
The flashlight...

I fumbled with it: it was not one of those cheap Chinese fakes from the 90s, which I used to have a lot of in our summer cottage; no, it was a real Soviet durable metal flashlight. Not a hammer, of course, but if I tried hard enough...
I swung it and started smashing at the grate, aiming for the spots where it was attached to the wall.
Soon I got lucky: I heard cracking sounds, and a few bolts fell down.

uMnjgIb.jpg

3yiwdD8.jpg

Shurik looked a bit lost.
I eyed him questioningly for a bit, but ended up saying nothing and just waved my hand for a goodbye.
After all, I had neither the strength nor the will to talk with him.

~ And what would I say to him? Scolding him now is no use, and the same probably goes for trying to learn anything. ~

lI5y0s3.jpg

Slavya was sitting next to me and looking dreamily at the moon.

MnfQDOr.png
Right so... If someone told me just a week ago that I would go to a pioneer camp and would even have to crawl through bomb shelters...
Fa3yyEl.png
But it was fun.
MnfQDOr.png
In a way.

There was indeed something amusing about all of this. But there was also something strange: during the last few hours, absolutely anything could have happened to me, but in the end, nothing at all had happened.
In a couple of years, I would probably remember this as just a funny incident from childhood. If I live that long.

MnfQDOr.png
What do you think, did he really hear something there?
J9Jn0vQ.png
I don't know... It's possible, of course, but most likely it was just his imagination. In such a situation, anyone could start imagining things.
VopEwDR.png
We did talk with a bush already, so voices in mines could be something similar, I guess. Or that strange pioneer got bored and wanted to scare him.

That was not only the most logical explanation, but also the most probable one, because nothing had happened to me and Slavya.

MnfQDOr.png
Well, I for one think he should go see a psychiatrist.
y7JaMWk.png
Guess he should!

Laughed Slavya.

Fa3yyEl.png
Alright, time to go to bed.
MnfQDOr.png
Aye.

I felt like I needed to say something to Slavya. I was not sure that I wanted to, but I could feel the need.

MnfQDOr.png
Thank you!
Fa3yyEl.png
For what?

She gave me a surprised look.

MnfQDOr.png
I wouldn't have managed without you.
lsPb7fJ.png
It was nothing...

Slavya blushed.

~ I was in her debt. Again. ~
~ I wonder how I could repay her, at least partially, for all that she has done for me. ~

VHA1jZu.jpg

All of today's adventures left me so tired that I had no more strength left.

MnfQDOr.png
You know, under different circumstances, I would have surely confessed my love to you...

I said, losing touch with reality.
Thoughts usually work much faster than common sense...
But Slavya wasn't there anymore.

~ It's probably for the best - at least she didn't hear... ~
~ Though it's strange - why did she leave without saying goodbye? ~
~ Well, whatever, I'll sleep on it and see in the morning. ~

7UnUUWO.jpg

~ That means she's waiting for me. ~
~ And that, in turn, means that I'm in for a lecture again. ~
~ And this time it will be just as pointless as ever! ~

I had absolutely no desire to discuss whether I was right or wrong.
The deckchair standing nearby was beckoning to me like a friend, as if suggesting I should sleep in it, forgetting about the mine, Shurik, the camp leader...

ICKtojy.jpg

I said blankly, still looking at my cherished deckchair.

DcPXZTm.png
Semyon!
MnfQDOr.png
Yeah, yeah... We found Shurik, Slavya will give you the details tomorrow, and now I'd really like to sleep...

She looked at me confusedly for a moment, and then replied:

G31PX5e.png
Oh well, fine...

NZHIOsU.jpg

FlFIKwf.jpg

Idiott

Arcane
DMz3M80.jpg

VopEwDR.png
Nothing new on day 5. We picked strawberries with Slayva. Went for a hike.

Slavya has left somewhere after our conversation it seems.
Electronik and Shurik were trying to prove something to Olga Dmitrievna furiously.
Looks like I'm the only one who doesn't belong to this place.

SxkL5HX.jpg

3KV28UM.jpg

All I was doing is just watching the fire.

~ There is a saying that claims that one could watch it forever as well as running water. ~

But there was also some third thing there...

~ What was that? ~

2gi1k8M.jpg

Camp leader got me out of my dreaminess.

G31PX5e.png
Semyon, don't you think that you've relaxed too early?
MnfQDOr.png
But what else do I need to do?

I honestly couldn't get what Olga Dmitrievna wants from me.

G31PX5e.png
I don't know...

She stopped for a moment.

f4z1aZ4.png
But if there will be something to be done, then do it without hesitation.

She smiled with some kind of ambiguity and went back to the fire to throw a few branches in.
After those words I was completely sure that she treats me like a personal slave.
Or at least like I'm a free labour force, what is, strictly speaking, the same thing.

I sighed and put my head down on my hands, hoping for my torments to be over for today...
Someone patted me on my shoulder.

XOKSSBV.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
What do you want?

I've asked tiredly.

mzfFewt.png
Don't be sad!
MnfQDOr.png
Is there anything better to do?
GKr0nQY.png
Look, we've been discussing perspectives of advancement of cybernetics club with Olga Dmitrievna... And there is a problem – we need more guys. If you could...

He hesitated.

~ 'Advancement' and those guys are incompatible with each other. ~

I said nothing and started to look over pioneers around me instead.

GKr0nQY.png
Well?
MnfQDOr.png
I don't have time... Can't you see that I'm always busy with the camp leader's errands?
F5KDurP.png
Yeah, I guess you're right... It's kind of embarrassing, how it all went today with Ulyana.

I looked at him with surprise.

~ It seems that Shurik blames himself for that cake accident. ~

MnfQDOr.png
Yeah, it is...

All the pioneers seem to be here but I couldn't spot Slavya anywhere.

F5KDurP.png
I think she is angry with me...
MnfQDOr.png
What?

I've asked absently.

F5KDurP.png
Ulyana. Maybe I should apologize?
MnfQDOr.png
No, it's not your fault...

We sat silent for a while and then I stood up and said:

MnfQDOr.png
My legs are numb, I better take a walk.

They gave no reply.
I made a few circles around our improvised camp, noticing close looks of a camp leader following me.
Looks like Olga Dmitrievna couldn't wait to come up with some kind of a new task for me.
I haven't found Slavya anywhere.

~ Maybe I should go and try to find her? ~

On the other hand I felt sorry for Ulyana every time I recalled her upset face.

~ Maybe this hike isn't the most entertaining thing ever but sitting here all alone isn't any better either. ~

But at the same time I didn't want to go anywhere...

CiRsvy0.jpg

gpiIoxQ.jpg

Though I also wanted to leave this place as fast as possible and, if not to finally lie down to sleep, then at the very least to spend some time alone, away from all these pioneers and Olga Dmitrievna, who just couldn't wait to occupy me with something again.
I picked a good moment and fled into the forest.

QR4TvSy.jpg

One of those nights when the dark sky, stars or crescent moon don't trigger any special emotions, when the crickets' chirping and the singing of night birds seemed more like an everyday routine than a nocturnal chorus.
I wandered around the forest with no special purpose, trying not to get too far from the camp.
After all, there was a chance to meet Ulyana out there, and that natural disaster would probably be even worse than the camp leader.

I sat down on a fallen tree and started thinking.
Why is this all happening to me? Why do I keep getting myself into foolish situations, every time and everywhere?

~ Even having suddenly appeared in a weird pioneer camp in the middle of nowhere, I don't get to become a subject in an experiment, a victim of a sick cosmic mind, or a participant in an intergalactic war on the side of a group of suicide-prone pacifists, like a regular hero of science fiction. ~
~ No, I get to hide in a night forest from a raving camp leader and her workhorse pioneers... ~

The stars in the sky were shining brightly.

~ Perhaps they give their light not only to me and this camp, but also shine on the city where I was born, and where my old home is... ~

It was as if a pain settled in my chest.

aWDD6px.jpg

dqxcgBQ.jpg

No, it was not wistfullness. More like a sad reminiscence.
Because despite all that's happened, I've felt more alive in less than five days here than I had for the last several years there.
Now I really wasn't sure if I wanted to get back.

Only one question still ate at me – how and why I ended up here. It flared up yet again in my mind.
I haven't spent much time seeking answers or even just thinking about my situation lately.
My thoughts were occupied with everyday, routine affairs.

And now, in order to break away and be able to wish to stay here for good, I need to understand the nature of this place.
It's just that even a nightingale in a golden cage has a right to know how and by whose will he got in there. And after that, to make the choice whether to stay or not...
Probably I would have been lost in my existential thoughts for a long time, but I heard voices approaching – Olga Dmitrievna and the pioneers.

~ Looks like they're proceeding with their hike... ~

I headed to the camp at a fast pace.

~ I have no desire to go back to the camp leader's cabin because I would surely be scolded, and just waiting for it is much worse. ~

3Y4iZ8D.jpg

And I wasn't alone here – a pioneer uniform was lying on the sand. A girl's one...
But no one seemed to be swimming in the water.
I almost thought it was some new devilry when suddenly a voice came from behind.

iLzCCfk.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
lsPb7fJ.png
I thought you were still in the woods.

8kpEQnn.jpg

VopEwDR.png
:bounce:

MnfQDOr.png
Sorry, I guess I interrupted you.
lsPb7fJ.png
That's okay, I'm almost done.
MnfQDOr.png
Why did you decide to have a swim during the night?
t6Dhpqp.png
Oh well, is it prohibited?

She smiled.

MnfQDOr.png
Well, no... It's just... Won't Olga Dmitrievna mind you leaving early...?
t6Dhpqp.png
But you did the same!

Slavya gave me a quick glance.

MnfQDOr.png
Yeah, I did...

I sat down on the sand and stared at the river.

MnfQDOr.png
You didn't like the hike, did you?
waSvxqy.png
No, it's not that... I just wanted to be alone for some time.
MnfQDOr.png
And I've interrupted you.
waSvxqy.png
No, not really.
MnfQDOr.png
That's not like you at all.
waSvxqy.png
What are you talking about?
MnfQDOr.png
Well, to leave like that...
y7JaMWk.png
Well, I'm not a robot that can only act according to a predefined program.
VopEwDR.png
Try harder. Your writing still sucks and characters are still VN cliches.

She laughed.

MnfQDOr.png
Yeah, that's right...

I was still puzzled, and my fatigue was also becoming stronger and stronger.

My mind was absolutely blank.
To be precise, it was so heavy and full so that not even a single idea would have the chance to dwell there.
If I would compare my brain at its prime to a broad highway full of speeding thoughts overtaking each other and causing giant chaotic crashes, then now it's nothing but a forgotten tiny path in a distant desolate forest, which is only used in times of absolute necessity.
So I said the first thing that crossed my mind:

MnfQDOr.png
Don't you think it's all pretty strange here?
waSvxqy.png
Strange?
MnfQDOr.png
Everything that happens here. It's the ideal model of a pioneer camp. Of course, it's not like I know a lot about them, but it looks exactly like I imagined it.
nDpULtG.png

Slavya glanced at me perplexedly.

MnfQDOr.png
Did you ever feel that you're not where you belong?
nDpULtG.png
I don't know.
MnfQDOr.png
More precisely, not where you are meant to be at all. As if thousands of kilometres away from home, or even in another galaxy.
nDpULtG.png
I don't understand you...
MnfQDOr.png
We're similar in this...

I lay down on my back and looked at the stars.

MnfQDOr.png
And what would you think if I told you that I'm an alien from the future?
J9Jn0vQ.png
Are you?

Asked Slavya in dead earnest.

MnfQDOr.png
Well, let's assume I am. How should I return to my time?
waSvxqy.png
Do you really want to?

~ Yeah, all the conversations with her that have to do with my situation, even the slightest hints of it, always end up at the same place. ~
~ It's like she's offering me a chance to stay. Almost insisting on it. ~

MnfQDOr.png
Well, let's say that I'm not sure. There, as we could call it, everything is like home to me... Or rather more familiar. Practically everything is known to me and I'm prepared for any situation. And here it's the other way around, literally every little thing comes as a surprise. And everything's... different.
t6Dhpqp.png
Is it really that bad?
MnfQDOr.png
I wouldn't call it bad... Unfamiliar. Unclear. Sometimes it can be hard to change something. Especially for people with my personality.
waSvxqy.png
But what do you really want?
MnfQDOr.png
To start with, I can't answer that question until I find out exactly where 'here' is.
t6Dhpqp.png
Then go and find out!
MnfQDOr.png
If only it was that easy...
waSvxqy.png
But what's so difficult about it?
MnfQDOr.png
Everything's difficult! I don't even know where to start... And I'm constantly being distracted!
y7JaMWk.png
You are talking about it so seriously, it's almost like it's all real!

She laughed.

MnfQDOr.png
Who knows...

A pretty long silence followed. Suddenly, Slavya sneezed.

MnfQDOr.png
Bless you.
t6Dhpqp.png
Thanks!
MnfQDOr.png
It wasn't a good idea to swim at night. You could get ill. Hurry to your cabin, it's cold out here.
t6Dhpqp.png
It's nothing, I'd rather sit here with you a bit more. Now, just let me dress.

Well, I was certainly flattered, but...

NVCAF1L.jpg

But we didn't even walk a dozen steps before Slavya grasped my arm.

MnfQDOr.png
What's the matter?
J9Jn0vQ.png
Oh, I suddenly felt dizzy...

I touched her forehead. It was burning.
I was never able to measure body temperature by touch, but in this case it was obvious.

MnfQDOr.png
I told you!
FhZThlh.png
Achoo!
MnfQDOr.png
Come on, come on!
FhZThlh.png
No... I could infect Zhenya... Listen, we'd better go to the infirmary.
MnfQDOr.png
And what would you do in the infirmary at night alone? That's nonsense!
VopEwDR.png
Get your head out of your ass dude. Fuck. Can't be bothered to even comment this idiocy any more.
9ecTYYp.png
No, it's not nonsense! If you don't want to help, I'll go by myself!

She let go of my hand, and was ready to leave.

MnfQDOr.png
Don't get upset. Put this on, it's cold!

I handed her my sweater, which I'd brought with me on the hike.

~ Finally found some use for it, good boy. ~

Fa3yyEl.png
Thanks!

She pulled the sweater on and gave me such a tender and caring look, that I just couldn't argue with her anymore.

MnfQDOr.png
Okay fine, the infirmary it is, as you say!

tUqpvZZ.jpg

I still considered this idea quite foolish. Nobody ever died from the common cold.
At least not in the past century.
I couldn't see any good reason to spend the night in the infirmary.

zPW8kwC.jpg

waSvxqy.png
I'm still a bit dizzy.

She said guiltily.
Slavya landed on the bed, I sat on the chair nearby.

MnfQDOr.png
Still, listen! Alone for the whole night in the infirmary...

~ After all, at least Zhenya could get you a glass of water, if you needed one. She wouldn't catch the illness – she's young and strong. ~

FhZThlh.png
It's alright. I don't want to bother anyone. And the nurse will come tomorrow.

I suddenly imagined myself in Slavya's place. Imagined that I had to spend the whole night here, alone...
And shivers ran down my spine.

MnfQDOr.png
Listen, maybe I can stay with you for a while...

I owed a lot to Slavya. And in fact, I didn't even want to leave.

t6Dhpqp.png
What for? Everything will be fine. Thanks for walking me over. You should go and get some sleep.
MnfQDOr.png
I still think...
t6Dhpqp.png
It's fine.

For a moment I thought...
Of course, nothing terrible will happen to her here, but I myself would feel more relaxed if I stayed with her.

MnfQDOr.png
I think...
9ecTYYp.png
Oh, come on.

Slavya cried out, as if offended.

MnfQDOr.png
You won't throw me out, will you?

I smiled slyly.

waSvxqy.png
Alright. But if you get infected, you only have yourself to blame!

I was happy with my little victory.

waSvxqy.png
Ok, then what shall we do?

There should be some playing cards in the chest.

MnfQDOr.png
Durak?

In fact, I didn't know any other games except that one and poker.

t6Dhpqp.png
Okay.

We spent a lot of time playing. I completely lost the track of time.
We chatted, laughed a lot.
Slavya didn't seem ill at all.
Then midnight came...

waSvxqy.png
Time to sleep.
MnfQDOr.png
Probably...
waSvxqy.png
But where are you going to go?

She gazed at me.

J9Jn0vQ.png
Come on. You shouldn't be sitting in here with me.
MnfQDOr.png
I can do it anyway...

~ At the moment I could even fall asleep standing up. ~

Slavya watched me for some time, and then drew the curtain and said.

waSvxqy.png
Good night!
MnfQDOr.png
Night.

fvye50a.jpg

Despite being exhausted, I slept uneasily. It was more of a slumber.
My awareness kept leaving me and returning again.
The best possible state for dreaming something psychedelic...

Bus number 410 drove past the room, it was snowing from the ceiling, and my computer's monitor suddenly rose from the middle of the table.
Wallpaper blended through the walls, rubbish piles rose through the floor, and my old bed materialized in the corner.
I was in my old flat again.
The scenery changed to that of my home town.
It was like I was running through endless hordes of people, bustling in and out.

And then darkness fell on me. Primal, universal darkness.

cMa3d0r.jpg

jznHJyr.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
Just a bad dream...

I attempted to smile.

nDpULtG.png
You were screaming...
MnfQDOr.png
Screaming what?
nDpULtG.png
I don't know. It was incomprehensible.

The clock only displayed 0:30.

lsPb7fJ.png
Semyon.
MnfQDOr.png
Huh?
lsPb7fJ.png
I'm freezing...

Slavya was rubbing the arms of her sweater, shivering.

MnfQDOr.png
Hang on, I'll find a blanket.

I searched through one cabinet after another, swearing to myself about how the damn infirmary had nothing to cover up the patients.

MnfQDOr.png
I'm sorry, there's nothing here... Wait, I'll run and fetch something.
lsPb7fJ.png
You don't have to. Would you just lie here with me? It'll be much warmer.

VopEwDR.png
7b6o5tQ.jpg

She was absolutely serious.
Her voice sounded so piteous that for a second I was left breathless.

MnfQDOr.png
Are you sure that... it... is okay?
FhZThlh.png
So it's not?

She asked, blushing.

MnfQDOr.png
No, why...

wH5OHMp.jpg

Slavya gently embraced me and rested her head on my chest.

8Wo7QY7.png
Yeah, that's better.
VopEwDR.png
:smug:

She purred.
I was unable to say anything and just lay there calmly.

MnfQDOr.png
Very good...
8Wo7QY7.png
Thank you.
MnfQDOr.png
For what?

Slavya kept her eyes closed and seemed ready to fall asleep at any second.

8Wo7QY7.png
For being here.
MnfQDOr.png
It's fine...

~ Two minutes ago she was desperately trying to get rid of me. ~

8Wo7QY7.png
No, really.
MnfQDOr.png
Then, you're welcome.

She said nothing but I was sure that Slavya smiled.

MnfQDOr.png
Contact us any time, as they say!
8Wo7QY7.png
You're so kind, you care so much.
MnfQDOr.png
Well, I try.

O3FYFP4.jpg

VopEwDR.png
:x :rage: :x
MnfQDOr.png
Friend? Well, yeah, probably...
VopEwDR.png
kSR7WMz.gif

Somehow this word hit me painfully.
On the other hand, there was no reason to believe that I was something more to Slavya than just a friend...

~ What are these thoughts about anyway? ~

MnfQDOr.png
You too...

I just couldn't bring myself to find the right words.

~ What's up with the 'You too'? It's been a pleasure dealing with you, we hope for further mutually beneficial cooperation? ~
~ Or – yeah, it's cool being friends with you too, let's go and play in the sandbox? ~

This was twice as hard to endure with Slavya lying right next to me – I can't run, I can't hide, and even without her looking me in the eyes, I know that she sees right through me.

8rb7bmH.png
You're distressed by something, aren't you?
MnfQDOr.png
No, I'm fine.
8rb7bmH.png
But I can tell that you are.
MnfQDOr.png
Well, maybe...
8rb7bmH.png
Want to talk about it?
MnfQDOr.png
Well, not really... In fact, there's nothing really to talk about.
8rb7bmH.png
Then you don't really know why you're upset?
MnfQDOr.png
Yeah, probably.
8rb7bmH.png
Then why get upset in the first place?

Slavya laughed.

MnfQDOr.png
I guess I shouldn't.
8rb7bmH.png
That's great!

She hugged me even harder.

MnfQDOr.png
Not cold now?
8Wo7QY7.png
I'm fine. Just tell me if you're not comfortable.
MnfQDOr.png
No, it's okay.
8Wo7QY7.png
Like that time? On the boat?

My muscles, as if remembering that rowing competition, reminded me of it with a dull ache.

MnfQDOr.png
It's totally different.
8rb7bmH.png
Okay, okay.

She said slyly and raised her head a bit.

8rb7bmH.png
So, everything is fine?
MnfQDOr.png
Yeah, perfect.

I started to worry. Slavya surely wanted something from me.
Wanted me to do or say something.

~ But what...? ~

8rb7bmH.png
Are you sure?
MnfQDOr.png
Yeah... Probably.
8rb7bmH.png
Well then. Have a good night!
MnfQDOr.png
You too.
VopEwDR.png
:badnews:

After a while, she fell asleep.
I checked the clock out of the corner of my eye. It was only 1 A.M. and that meant that I still had to lie in this position until morning.
I wasn't really concerned about my arm going numb.
Just, being so close to Slavya, in such a dangerous proximity, I couldn't sleep at all.
Various thoughts were invading my head.

~ Did she really consider this whole situtation normal? ~

7yLk7ZD.jpg

My heart jumped and stopped for a moment.

DcPXZTm.png
Semyon...

Started the camp leader in a diabolically calm voice.

Bj7V6PQ.png
I've been searching for you everywhere, and you – you escaped from the forest ahead of time, didn't come to the cabin to sleep, and now you're seducing our best pioneer!

Slavya instantly woke up.

She was staring at the camp leader with a sleepy eyes for a few seconds, and then instantly understood what's going on and jumped from the bed.

3IPuf8j.jpg

AVXqiBe.png
And then I got cold and... I told him to go to to his cabin.
Bj7V6PQ.png
Oh, yeah, sure! So you're sick, are you?
AVXqiBe.png
I am...

Answered Slavya humbly.

DcPXZTm.png
Then you have to get treatment!

She watched me menacingly.

Bj7V6PQ.png
And you! Get up and follow me!

I understood that arguing was not an option and left the infirmary, not even looking at Slavya.

8ZiQWyL.jpg

Olga Dmitrievna viciously looked over at me and said:

DcPXZTm.png
Time to go home! I need to have a serious talk with you.

I felt awful the whole way.
The camp leader silently followed me.
I think that once again I've got into a stupid situation which will be perceived totally wrong by everybody.

~ Ah... nothing to discuss... ~

What if I were in Olga Dmitrievna's place? Two teenagers cuddling in the empty infirmary... at night. It's hard to come up with any apologies.
The worst thing is that all these things always happen specifically to me!
I always considered myself to have an analytical mind. However, I rarely got to put it into practice.

c3MVAQA.jpg

DcPXZTm.png
Would you care to explain yourself?

She seemed to have calmed down a bit.
At least this side of her character was appealing. She was, of course, an impulsive woman, but she also cooled down quickly.

MnfQDOr.png
Slavya already told you everything...
DcPXZTm.png
You expect me to believe that?
MnfQDOr.png
I can't force you to believe it, but I am not going to invent any excuses either, because it's the truth.

She looked at me for some time, and then said:

G31PX5e.png
Tomorrow I will decide what to do with you.

bl8VqSP.jpg

~ Interesting, why does she only blame me for what happened? I wasn't there alone, after all. ~
~ Slavya is a role model pioneer of course, but... ~

No, I didn't intend to shift the blame to her. I just felt too ashamed for getting into an idiotic situation once again.
Involuntarily, with no malicious thoughts, not expecting any trap...

dfTTkvM.jpg

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I can't believe I'm still reading this schlock. I can only commend the person actually playing it. I feel like I've got to sit through this ride all the way to the end, if only out of solidarity.

Seriously though, I think this game would be a lot more interesting if they actually developed the Soviet nostalgia theme beyond just clichés. Apparently it was made by Russians, but it seems like the setting is just an excuse for the usual weeaboo stuff. So you get 90% of this sperglord sperging about and a bit of mindfuckery in certain plots for good measure, and that must be very unsatisfying to play. There is no real tension in the relationship game, because it seems you're stuck on your route.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Best part in the camp (except Olga and Viola that can't be touched) got role of person that try to explain all that bullshit?
heart-attack.jpg

I guess they designes pathes of freindzones and cuckolding that lead to Matrix bullcrap.

Best katharzis ever, 5/vodka, would brainwash myself more.

Idiott

Arcane
E1NAk6G.jpg

5pCjeMi.jpg

I kept waking up for a minute or two and then dropping off again.
I didn't dream much. Just some grotesque images, forgotten by morning.
Olga Dmitrievna woke me up.

MArZeeZ.jpg

I rubbed my eyes open and looked at her questioningly.

MnfQDOr.png
What time is it?
DcPXZTm.png
Late enough!

My whole body ached and my head was heavy like a bowling ball.

DcPXZTm.png
Pull yourself together and go wash yourself up, right now!

azNriEe.jpg

I didn't want to talk to the camp leader at that moment.

~ A lecture was clearly coming. A hard one. ~
~ But I'd better put it off as much as I can. ~

After all, I always did things this way.

Gh2BVSU.jpg

~ Maybe I should pay Slavya a visit? I still have some time left. ~
~ Just to tell her I'm sorry... ~
~ On the other hand, why should I justify myself? It was her idea. ~
~ And what, what did I do wrong? ~
~ Besides once againg getting myself into a silly situation where all the odds are against me... ~

I took a deep breath and went back to Olga Dmitrievna’s cabin, with the firm intention of proving myself innocent, or at least showing that I will stand my ground.

zCV1cAA.jpg

I sat on the bed and dropped my face into my hands.

~ I need to come up with an excuse. Now. A nice and believable excuse. ~
~ If she won't believe the truth. Well, that's not surprising – if I was her, wouldn't have believed it either... ~

VopEwDR.png
Come on, who would believe there is anyone beta enough to do NOTHING for half of the fucking night there.

Nothing worthwhile was coming to me.
I was just sitting there, gazing at the sunrise.
The door swung silently open, and the camp leader came into the room.

mLoC9de.jpg

G31PX5e.png
No need...

I looked at her, surprised.

G31PX5e.png
I understand everything!
MnfQDOr.png
So you do understand it wasn't what it looked like?
5y7aQ4M.png
Why, it looked exactly like what it was! I don't want to condemn either you or Slavya. I understand everything, puberty, hormones, all that kind of stuff...

I sighed tiredly and laid my head down on my hands.

MnfQDOr.png
What do I need to say to make you believe me?
G31PX5e.png
Nothing. I said it already – I understand everything.
MnfQDOr.png
You don't understand a thing...

I muttered under my breath.

G31PX5e.png
Ok, head over to lineup!

I stood up and dragged myself lazily along with her.

gKywTfq.jpg

5y7aQ4M.png
Of course not.

The camp leader looked at me with such surprise, as if my question was something completely inappropriate.

5y7aQ4M.png
I've already warned the nurse not to let you in.
MnfQDOr.png
Well, am I allowed to know how is she at least?
G31PX5e.png
Well, it looks like Slavya's actually sick.

FEW0tjM.jpg

G31PX5e.png
Go and take your place.

I took a place next to Electronik.

9W9bgdZ.jpg

He whispered to me.

MnfQDOr.png
mzfFewt.png
Well, you suddenly disappeared.
MnfQDOr.png
Well, nothing special...

~ Telling everything to the entire camp was the last thing I wanted. ~
~ After all, if even the camp leader got us wrong, then what would the others think... ~

Though I've already started to think that it's not entirely wrong.
The entire lineup consisted of a roll-call and announcement that the shower room is closed today for repair.
Finally the pioneers ran for breakfast chatting happily. I miserably followed them.

hvDluYQ.jpg

cwZTSVk.jpg

Looks like my autopilot just kicked in.
I stared at the door, at a total loss.

~ They won't let me in anyway... What can I do now? ~
~ Should I wait for Olga Dmitrievna's sentence, if it ever comes? Should I wait until everybody in the camp knows? ~
~ And that's even worse! Wicked glances from everywhere, the alienation... ~

VopEwDR.png
How is that different from the current state?

That is what will happen for sure.

~ No, I haven't done anything wrong, but in the enclosed circle of this bizarre society such behavior would be treated, if not as a sin, then as a serious deviation for sure. ~
~ And that means that I've already got nothing to lose! ~

I knocked without any hesitation.

7SapKcd.jpg

I pulled the doorknob, but the door wouldn't open.

~ Hmm, it's locked? ~

In a few moments I heard the key turning in the keyhole and the nurse appeared.

QCNqutE.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
Hi!

I answered confidently.

97axeUu.png
Well, you know that you're not allowed here?
MnfQDOr.png
Well, I do... But if you'd...
dlZzOEC.png
Nah... That's not the way things work!

She said playfully.

dlZzOEC.png
A camp leader’s order is an order after all. If you ask me, personally I don't find anything immoral in your behaviour, but Olga Dmitrievna...
MnfQDOr.png
Maybe I can do something...?
VopEwDR.png
What if we bang?
97axeUu.png
No, you can't.

I looked at her angrily, turned around and walked away with theatrical slowness.
I didn't know what to do next...
I just pressed on forward, punching the trees that stood in my way.

I recovered from this burst of rage only when my hands were hurting badly and my lips were bitten until they bled.
And the most interesting thing is that all my unbelievable awakening in an unknown pioneer camp has turned into the most trivial life drama. A drama as stupid as my entire existence.

VopEwDR.png
It's not nearly as stupid as you.

Yet again I did something wrong, I thought something wrong, and they got it all wrong...

~ Fine then, just let everything be... ~

BpzWfGr.jpg

aHg913W.jpg

Somehow stuffing my breakfast in, I was about to leave already when Miku dashed up to my table.

VopEwDR.png
:x

PszPC2m.jpg

She sat down straight away.

MnfQDOr.png
Well, I'm kind of leaving already...
GqPvyzV.png
Is it true that you and Slavya are... like that? Well, you know what I'm talking about.

She stared at me closely, blinking her eyes.

MnfQDOr.png
Who told you that?

Well, one would expect the rumors to spread fast. But not that fast!
I started to slowly go into rage mode.

GqPvyzV.png
I heard it from Zhenya and she probably heard it from Cheesekov. He heard it from Olga Dmitrievna. I don't want you to misunderstand me – it's not my business but... If you don't want to, then don't answer! But if it’s not a secret...
MnfQDOr.png
You're right. I don't want to answer.

I stood up and quickly headed towards the exit.

aJWOUJu.jpg

Right now though, anything could drive me out of my wits. But I had to make up my mind now on how to conduct myself.
I didn't want to run into anyone, so I went into the forest where I could think calmly.

tVwTTPw.jpg

~ If there is nothing that's up to me, all I can do is to simply wait. ~
~ But... In fact, what can I do? ~
~ Assault the infirmary? Even if I succeed, what comes next? ~
~ Try to bring Olga Dmitrievna to her senses? Hardly possible... ~

Funnily enough, this whole enigma turned into a simple everyday situation. If it was happening in my world, there would be no problems at all.
Come on, really, what's the problem – even if I did sleep with the girl, who cares?
Even if I was actually seventeen, even then nothing terrible would happen anyway... It would be slightly more awkward, but still tolerable...

~ And now what? I'm not the master of my fate... ~

Although, was I ever? Is there anything at all that was up to me in my entire life?
Have I ever reached any peak that I was seeking?

VopEwDR.png
The writing in this game certainly isn't reaching any.

~ And now, once I've reached one, I can't hold my ground... ~
~ Maybe I was just a spectator from the very beginning? My mystical appearance in this camp, all the local residents, all the events that happened to me... ~
~ All that is just a weird game and I'm only a pawn. ~
~ Well, if that is so, I will still play out my role to my best! ~

I got up and headed to the camp, prepared to take no prisoners.
The plan wasn't completely finished in my head, but I've made up my mind already!

DAjYkuD.jpg

I rummaged through the cabinets and packed up a sleeping bag, my winter clothes, a flashlight and some other garments I found.

v7UJzE4.jpg

1yFcyDN.png
Going for a hike?
MnfQDOr.png
Yeah, for a hike.

I reassured her.

pUuHdud.png
Well, take care!

She gave me a sly smile and went on her way.

cNKhF0e.jpg

~ The nurse is a human too in the end, so eventually she will go to lunch. ~

I hid in the bushes, waiting.

Time flew by fast. My thoughts have settled and I had a firm decision.
I haven't thought my plan out beyond the first steps – I simply didn't care.

~ The most important thing is that I act the way I think is appropriate and whatever happens next – let it happen. ~

mPP4zaF.jpg

She looked around and, noticing no danger, locked the infirmary with a key and quickly went towards the canteen.
As she went around the corner I got to the window in a few bounds and started to hectically knock on it.

Xmrn24P.jpg

nDpULtG.png
Semyon, what are you doing here? You're not allowed to...
MnfQDOr.png
How are you feeling?
nDpULtG.png
I'm fine... But Olga Dmitrievna told me to stay here for another day...

~ She told me something completely different! ~

MnfQDOr.png
Ok. Get out.

I said with confidence.

nDpULtG.png
What are you talking about? What for?

She asked fearfully.
MnfQDOr.png
Get out now! I'll explain everything later!

She looked at me closely for a while but then opened the window without further argument.
I helped her to jump down to the ground.

waSvxqy.png
Ok, what next?
MnfQDOr.png
Let's go!

I grabbed her hand and made my way to the forest.

vGcu3w0.jpg

qZ6B25v.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
What's wrong? Do you think that everything was right the way it was?
nDpULtG.png
No, I don't, but it will be even worse this way.
MnfQDOr.png
Why? We have a right to act the way we think is correct!
nDpULtG.png
Ok, but what will happen next?

I haven't thought about it yet.
Every step in my plan had gone quite well until now, but I wasn't keen on thinking even one step ahead.

s94LFhA.png
So your master plan was to bring her to the forest and then make shit up as you go?

MnfQDOr.png
Take a look!

I opened the bag and showed the things I took from the camp leader's cabin.

waSvxqy.png
And?

Slavya looked at me inquiringly.

MnfQDOr.png
I don't know... We'll stay in the forest for a while... Show them that our opinion matters!

5nanH2t.png

J9Jn0vQ.png
But that's stupid and childish!
MnfQDOr.png
Well, if you don't want to...

She gave me a lamentable look.

I8HP7JJ.png
I'll do as you say...

These words gave me the creeps.

~ 'As you say'... ~

Nobody ever said anything like that to me.

MnfQDOr.png
In any case... I think this is the best decision for now!
I8HP7JJ.png
Alright...

vUFcMl9.jpg

NKnWIuh.png
So what are we going to do?
MnfQDOr.png
I don't know...

I've never been so close to utter failure.
No, I wasn't questioning my choice, but indeed – I had no idea what to do next.

MnfQDOr.png
What would you suggest?
NKnWIuh.png
It would be nice to have something to eat... Have you brought anything with you?

~ And that was exactly what I'd forgotten... ~

s94LFhA.png

MnfQDOr.png
No, I haven’t...

I replied slowly.

NKnWIuh.png
That's fine...

We kept sitting in silence.

~ I wonder if they will look for us. Though even if they do, they are unlikely to succeed – the forest is big enough. ~
~ But food... By the evening I'll get hungry too...

MnfQDOr.png
Okay, stay here, I'll be right back.
NKnWIuh.png
Where are you going?
MnfQDOr.png
To get some food!
NKnWIuh.png
Maybe we should go together?
MnfQDOr.png
No... I'll be right back!

Mjy3NTw.jpg

~ Even if they haven't started to look for both of us yet, then surely they'll have found out that Slavya is missing, so I have to move carefully and try not to get noticed. ~
~ In general, every single pioneer was a threat now. Not only those who knew me – such an obvious kidnapping will surely be known to everyone in no time. ~

qCw2z9k.jpg

~ I can't just walk in there like nothing happened... ~

X91jNrz.jpg

I almost jumped out of my skin.
Ulyana was standing behind me.

hZuPjjA.png
Getting hungry?

She stared at me.

sfmFmEM.png
Come on, why so quiet?

I was tongue-tied for a moment and couldn't think of an answer.

bMf0OWa.png
So why have you come?

B2ysGIr.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
I was hungry.

sfmFmEM.png
Oh really...?
MnfQDOr.png
Yeah, really...
bMf0OWa.png
Ok, I'll be right back!

Much to my surprise, Ulyana didn’t ask any awkward questions.
In the blink of an eye, she zipped out of sight through the doors of the canteen.
I was wondering whether I should trust her and wait, or I should flee before she returned with backup...?
However, Ulyana interrupted my doubts quickly as she reappeared in a couple of minutes with a plastic bag in her hands.

bMf0OWa.png
Here you go!

The bag was full of buns and had a few packs of kefir in it.

MnfQDOr.png
But why?
sfmFmEM.png
Well... cause it's brave... and... cool!

She smiled slyly.

iOjLjjf.png
Best regards to Slavya!

Ulyana waved good-bye and ran away.
I stood there for some time in confusion, but then went back to the forest.

OlUYBX6.jpg

In the end I couldn't get food by myself during the day without getting myself into trouble...

o0WqSBJ.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
Here...

I gave the bag to her.

Fa3yyEl.png
You got it so fast!

She said excitedly.

MnfQDOr.png
Well, I found help...

Slavya gave me a questioning look but I didn't go into details.
We ate busily without saying a word.
I sighed with satisfaction in the end.

MnfQDOr.png
Good, really good.
t6Dhpqp.png
Yeah.

Agreed Slavya.

t6Dhpqp.png
What are we going to do now?
MnfQDOr.png
Maybe you have any suggestions?
waSvxqy.png
About what?
MnfQDOr.png
Well, at least about how to deal with the camp leader.
waSvxqy.png
I don't know... And are you sure...
MnfQDOr.png
Yes, I am!

I interrupted her.

MnfQDOr.png
This is an act of protest after all! She must be aware that she can't order me...

I stuttered.

MnfQDOr.png
...order us around!

I feel like I've said something stupid.
Even if I was indeed Olga Dmitrievna's errand boy, Slavya was...

y7JaMWk.png
You're funny!

She gave a cute smile.

Fa3yyEl.png
We could just go and talk with her. But if you want to sit here and wait, I'm fine with it.
MnfQDOr.png
I tried to talk to her...
waSvxqy.png
Are you sure you did it the right way?

~ What is the right way? ~

To be honest, I didn't know the answer.
Such awkward talks were always something of a insurmountable task for me.
I bet if I knew how to deal with such cases, things would go another way.
Of course, since I was afraid and blaming myself there was no chance to be confident...

MnfQDOr.png
I don't know...

Slavya burst into laughter.

MnfQDOr.png
What?!
y7JaMWk.png
Nothing... I just feel like a princess who was saved from the evil witch's castle by Prince Charming.

I looked at her carefully.
While all this sounded quite romantic, I thought that what Slavya had just said was absolute nonsense.

~ But generally, Olga Dmitrievna as an evil witch... It makes some sense! ~

MnfQDOr.png
Yes... The similarity is definitely there.
VopEwDR.png
:lol:

I said it, spelling out every word.

Fa3yyEl.png
And princesses are given no choice in such cases usually.

Slavya continued in a cryptic tone.

~ Given no choice? That's impossible! ~
~ It's me who has no choice here – just sit and wait until I get back to my reality by some miraculous chance. ~
~ Does Slavya have anything in common with me? She is a role model pioneer, hard-working and beautiful. ~

She has hundreds if not thousands of options!

~ Probably this is the moment I've been dreaming about all my life – such an unreachable girl as Slavya not only sitting next to me, speaking and laughing, but completely depending on me! ~
~ But is it a good or a bad thing? And what should I do next? ~

There were more questions than answers.
When it's hard enough to make a decision about my own life and take responsibility for my own actions, how could I do that for both of us...?
Before now I'd keep myself distant from such problems in the hope of everything resolving on its own, without my input.

But I couldn't act this way now.
And not even because of the fact that heaven only knows where and in what time I was.

MnfQDOr.png
You know, I could be wrong.

Slavya looked at me inquiringly.

MnfQDOr.png
We won't achieve anything indeed by just sitting here. And not just that! It's stupid and childish – you were right.
J9Jn0vQ.png
And what should we do then?
MnfQDOr.png
Let's go!

We got up. I took the sleeping bag and headed to the camp, holding Slavya by the hand.

YaH1fhH.jpg

sz6R2sl.jpg

She said angrily.

DcPXZTm.png
Do you have something to say to excuse yourself?

HaKKX1Y.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
We have no reason to justify ourselves!

I replied obnoxiously.

VopEwDR.png
Deal with it.
5y7aQ4M.png
Oh, really? Ok then. So you think all of this is normal? Fine...

She paused for a few moments and turned to Slavya.

5y7aQ4M.png
Go to your cabin. I understand that you're not the one to blame.

Slavya didn't move an inch. She just lowered her eyes and held my hand even more tightly.

VopEwDR.png
:yeah:
DcPXZTm.png
Slavya!
MnfQDOr.png
As you can see, she doesn’t want to.
DcPXZTm.png
What did you say to seduce her?
MnfQDOr.png
Oh my God, I said nothing!

I started losing my cool.

MnfQDOr.png
Why do you think we've done something wrong? We haven't done anything! At all!
f4z1aZ4.png
As if I haven't seen it!

She grinned.

MnfQDOr.png
So what have you seen?

She paused, but continued a second later in the same tone:

G31PX5e.png
I've seen enough.
MnfQDOr.png
Wow, you are so good at drawing conclusions! Getting a job in the secret police?
Bj7V6PQ.png
Stop it with your rudeness!
MnfQDOr.png
I didn’t even think of starting it.

I said sarcastically.

DcPXZTm.png
Okay, your time is up and I'm not willing to continue this pointless argument. You're grounded till the end of the session.
MnfQDOr.png
Oh, really? And how are you going to manage that?
DcPXZTm.png
I'll lock you down in the cabin!
MnfQDOr.png
And what if I object?

Olga Dmitrievna gave me a surprised look.
It was just now that I realised a crowd was gathering around us.
I could spot Lena, Alisa and Ulyana in the crowd.

DcPXZTm.png
What do you mean by 'object'?

Said the camp leader slowly.

MnfQDOr.png
I meant exactly what I said.
DcPXZTm.png
But you can't! A true pioneer...
MnfQDOr.png
Well, that means I'm a false one!

Olga Dmitrievna paused as if she was pulling herself together.

5y7aQ4M.png
You think I can't force you?
MnfQDOr.png
And how would you do that?

I laughed emphatically.

~ Ignoring the various mystical forces that I was least concerned about right now, the camp leader indeed had absolutely no idea about enforcing anything. ~

DcPXZTm.png
You know what!?
MnfQDOr.png
What?

It looked like Olga Dmitrievna already understood that she had lost, but still couldn't admit her defeat because of her pride and her position of eldest-and-wisest-in-the-whole-camp.

n53LNYh.jpg

DcPXZTm.png
I... I... I'll send a report to your school! You won't be accepted to the Komsomol! You won't be able to join the Party!

I had no way to respond against such serious threats.

DcPXZTm.png
Accept it, you have no choice anyway!

Slavya, who had kept silent until now, intervened in the matter:

9ecTYYp.png
Olga Dmitrievna, why do you assume you're right from the start? Why is Semyon always to blame for everything? What's so special about what has happened? What has he... what have we done wrong? Are you even sure of what you are blaming us for? And if it was anyone other than me standing here, would you act the same way?
5y7aQ4M.png
Slavya, you should know that...
9ecTYYp.png
That's the point, I know everything! I know you, I know that Semyon hasn't done anything wrong. I know you are prejudiced against him. Without any clear reason by the way. Even though he is trying his best! Yes, it looks awkward at times, but I know he puts all his energy and his heart into it. And you’re going to blame him just because he is the way he is?

I was charmed by Slavya's monologue, listening to it without really getting whether she was praising me, declaring facts, or stating her opinion (which is probably prejudiced).
I guess her exact words flew over me.
Just the melody of her voice was enough for me – it hypnotized and carried me away from this sick woman and stupid pioneer camp while calming and healing the wounds in my soul.

G31PX5e.png
Okay, I don't know what to do with you anymore...

Olga Dmitrievna calmed down a bit.

G31PX5e.png
But don't think that I approve of your behaviour!

adu6IsX.jpg

I expected a storm of applause like in American movies but crowd started to dissolve quickly as the show came to its end.
And Ulyana just winked at me slyly.

t6Dhpqp.png
Well, you know, we kind of overdid it.

I looked at Slavya, she was smiling.

MnfQDOr.png
No, not at all! I'd be arguing with her until late at night and you nailed it right and clear... I wouldn't get the right words like that even if I had an entire week to think!
lsPb7fJ.png
Oh, come on...
MnfQDOr.png
What? That's the simple truth, not a trace of lies or flattery!

She gazed into my eyes and burst out laughing.

y7JaMWk.png
I just said first thing that came to my mind, and this is how it turned out.
MnfQDOr.png
You first thought is the right one – that's how the saying goes.
y7JaMWk.png
I guess it is.

I just noticed now that we were still holding each other by the hand.
After feeling a bit awkward I tried to pull my hand free but Slavya didn't let me. This gave me the chills for a second.

VopEwDR.png
Does that mean we're getting out of the zone?
Fa3yyEl.png
Where will we go?

I had no desire to go back to my cabin. Strictly speaking, I didn't want to stay in the camp at all.
MnfQDOr.png
What would you say if I suggested we return to the forest?

Slavya looked at me with surprise.

MnfQDOr.png
Well, you know, it's just sometimes...
t6Dhpqp.png
Ok, let's go!

I wasn't expecting such a quick response and had no idea how to finish my sentence.
I was just going to tell her about a feeling I get sometimes – when you want to go somewhere outside of your comfort zone. At least for a while, at least for a couple of hours.

I used to do this before quite often – visiting foreign districts or even neighbouring cities.
New places and sceneries calm my heart and help to realise that the world is not limited by my apartment walls, or the daily route to university or the workplace.
And thus there are people who are doing better or worse than me.
And so my typical problems are not as bad as they appear to be.
I suddenly smiled.

Fa3yyEl.png
What?
MnfQDOr.png
Nothing, I just remembered... Never mind! Let's go!

We headed to the forest, still holding hands.

cOJXjJ3.jpg

oiaw51a.jpg

Slavya gave me a questioning look.

MnfQDOr.png
No, let's go further.
t6Dhpqp.png
Ok.

After another half an hour of wandering through the forest, we came to a small lake.

MnfQDOr.png
What a nice place!
Fa3yyEl.png
You're right...

Slavya smiled enigmatically.

MnfQDOr.png
Then I suggest we stop here!
Fa3yyEl.png
Nice place.

I put the sleeping bag on the ground and sat on it.
Slavya did the same.

MnfQDOr.png
And what are we going to do?
J9Jn0vQ.png
I don't know... It was your idea to go into the forest...
MnfQDOr.png
Yes, mine...

~ I had to make a decision once again. While I had absolutely no idea what could we do. ~
~ We could talk for example. But about what...? ~

y7JaMWk.png
Oh, come on, don’t get so anxious!

Slavya laughed.

MnfQDOr.png
I'm not...
Fa3yyEl.png
I can see you are!
MnfQDOr.png
Well, it's just because...
Fa3yyEl.png
It's fine.
MnfQDOr.png
As you say.

I sighed and stared at the ground.

t6Dhpqp.png
Maybe you can tell me about yourself?
MnfQDOr.png
Well, there is nothing really to talk about...
nDpULtG.png
It's impossible that there could be nothing of interest in a person's life at all!
MnfQDOr.png
How so? I'm an example of that...
waSvxqy.png
You just...

She hesitated.

waSvxqy.png
Could it be that you're not telling me something?
MnfQDOr.png
Like what?
waSvxqy.png
I don't know... Like, you’re hiding something from me?
MnfQDOr.png
But why would I?
J9Jn0vQ.png
How would I know? You'd know better.
MnfQDOr.png
Well... I don't...
J9Jn0vQ.png
You said it like...
MnfQDOr.png
How?
y7JaMWk.png
Not right!

Slavya laughed again.
I'm sure that anyone but her would not be so calm here.

MnfQDOr.png
Okay, so what do you want me to talk about?
Fa3yyEl.png
Well, tell me about yourself. Anything interesting that happened in your life!

Right now I was definitely sure that there was nothing interesting in my life at all.

MnfQDOr.png
Okay, let me think...

I made a smart face.

MnfQDOr.png
When I was a kid – like 5 or 6 years old I guess – there was a small hut near my family's country house. A solid one, made from wooden boards, with tar paper roof, so it could be used as a bombshelter in case of war.
MnfQDOr.png
So one day I was sitting on top of it with somebody and... suddenly fell off. And there were beds of strawberries behind it. And during those split seconds that I was falling I thought – that's it, the grim reaper had come for me, and my entire life ran through my head. A life just six years long, but still...
MnfQDOr.png
So I fell onto those beds and obviously didn't feel anything as there was plenty of soft ground there. So that's the story...

Slavya laughed.

y7JaMWk.png
But that's so silly!
MnfQDOr.png
I didn't think so at the time.
t6Dhpqp.png
And what about now?
MnfQDOr.png
I don't know... I guess it is...
Fa3yyEl.png
Fine. Tell me something else!
MnfQDOr.png
You'll call that silly too...
waSvxqy.png
No, I won't!
MnfQDOr.png
Eh...
VopEwDR.png
Can we please skip this inane bullshit and get to something interesting?

I started thinking again.

MnfQDOr.png
Also, I once fell into a pond from a bridge and almost drowned.
J9Jn0vQ.png
Your stories are all...

Slavya said in annoyed tone.

MnfQDOr.png
I told you – there isn't much to talk about, so I told you the first story that came to my mind.
t6Dhpqp.png
Ah, speaking of which, the lake!

Slavya looked at the water.

t6Dhpqp.png
Let's go swimming.
VopEwDR.png
7b6o5tQ.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
I'm not really fond of that. I don't even have anything to swim in.
t6Dhpqp.png
Oh, come on!

She gave me a captivating smile.

MnfQDOr.png
Well, I don't know really...
VopEwDR.png
Your ass. Lake. Now.

Of course I was eager to agree, but I still hesitated.

y7JaMWk.png
Oh, come on!

Slavya laughed and ran off to the lake, unbuttoning her shirt on the way.

MnfQDOr.png
Well... Hmm...
VopEwDR.png
cRa5uML.jpg

I stood up from the sleeping bag and slowly headed her way.

S6xulOP.jpg

xrHhNNH.png
Come here!
MnfQDOr.png
Well I'm... Not sure if I want to...

I've mumbled slowly.

VopEwDR.png
TFjKlVt.jpg

xrHhNNH.png
Come on! It's fun in here!

She didn't seem to feel awkward about my presence at all.
While I wanted to turn away at first.

~ But here is the question – what is more appropriate here? If Slavya thinks it's ok and I act awkwardly – won't it offend her? ~
~ But that isn't the most important thing now! ~

MnfQDOr.png
I didn’t bring my swimming trunks...
VopEwDR.png
9ULySEj.jpg

I guess that wasn't the most suitable excuse at the moment.

xrHhNNH.png
So? Neither did I...

Slavya said with the voice a level quieter.

xrHhNNH.png
Don't be afraid.
MnfQDOr.png
I’m not! There's nothing to be afraid of...
xrHhNNH.png
So get in.

I didn't know what to say.
I probably wanted to comply – but with everything happening some other way. Not in a such spontaneous and random manner.

VopEwDR.png
:x

~ And really – why is Slavya so friendly to me? Or is there something more to it than that? Then I really don't get it! ~

VopEwDR.png
:rage:

xrHhNNH.png
It's up to you!

She said disappointedly.

xrHhNNH.png
Light the fire then.
MnfQDOr.png
What for?
xrHhNNH.png
Because! When I'll get out – I'll need a way to dry myself!
MnfQDOr.png
Oh, yes... fine...

rQkvP44.png

FfBgxdi.jpg

Collecting firewood wasn't a problem at all, but how do I light the fire...?
I had neither a matchbox, nor a lighter.

Like every educated person, I knew that it's possible to do it by rubbing one stick against the other, but I’ve never done this before. Well, I had no other ideas...
I started to drill one stick into another slowly.
I was lucky that sticks were dry enough because otherwise I'd have no chance at all.
Actually, I was quite sceptical about my chances but after just about a minute some smoke appeared and a faint fire flared up, dying out a moment later.
At least it was clear that I could handle this way of starting a fire.

It took me another twenty minutes of suffering, but in the end I had a small fire burning next to the sleeping bag.
I was throwing more sticks into it lazily.
This is how it turns out – man can adapt to anything and so I could probably even survive in a snowy forest.
My survivalist thoughts were interrupted by Slavya who suddenly appeared right above me.

NVM2KaY.jpg

I lifted my gaze and quickly turned away.
She was wearing a shirt, but thanks to its dampness it wasn't hiding much.
It wasn’t a problem in the lake, but it's quite different when she is so close.

waSvxqy.png
One wouldn’t get lost with you.

uH62Wca.jpg

NKnWIuh.png
I hope it will dry off quickly.

Somehow, I was hoping so too.

VopEwDR.png
Go and die horribly.
NKnWIuh.png
So, what?
MnfQDOr.png
What?

I asked with a muddled voice.

NKnWIuh.png
Tell me something else!
MnfQDOr.png
I don't know really...

I felt like something was stuck in my throat – storytelling was definitely out of question.

NKnWIuh.png
You've gotten so stiff suddenly.

~ Really, why would I? ~

MnfQDOr.png
It's nothing, just...

I had a feeling that I won't be able to just sit like that any longer.
Animal instincts were clouding my mind.

VopEwDR.png
I don't even

MnfQDOr.png
You think... this is normal?
NKnWIuh.png
What?
MnfQDOr.png
Sitting like this.
NKnWIuh.png
What’s wrong with it?

Seems like Slavya really didn't understand...

MnfQDOr.png
Well, you are... Do you really not get it...?

I sighed helplessly.

NKnWIuh.png
Well... I'm not really sure...

Her voice sounded cunning.

NKnWIuh.png
What do you think?
MnfQDOr.png
Well, I... I'd...
NKnWIuh.png
Maybe we shouldn't hold back?

Her words flashed through my head.

~ She's giving her consent! ~

GrYQwNY.jpg

Vvrc7dQ.jpg

:x :rage: :x

S55KIIC.jpg

Maybe here it is – the reason for me being in this camp?

vlf0gt4.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
Yeah...

For a while we just lay close to each other.

t6Dhpqp.png
It's getting chilly.
MnfQDOr.png
Hang on.

I unfolded the sleeping bag and we got inside together.
Slavya rested her head on my shoulder.

t6Dhpqp.png
Mind if I take a quick nap? I just feel so tired...
MnfQDOr.png
Sure, go ahead...

Soon her breathing became deep and steady.
The wind quietly rustled the leaves on the trees around us, the grass was swaying next to us, and tiny bugs buzzed annoyingly overhead.
Suddenly I realised this was the best place I have ever seen in my life.
Thinking that, I fell asleep.

DnR1ll2.jpg

A strong wind had risen, chilling me to the bone.
The full moon was staring right at me – night has fallen.
I couldn't really tell what time it was, but it didn't matter much.

Slavya was still asleep.

I tucked the sleeping bag around her cozily, got dressed and headed to the lake.
I was really thirsty and there weren’t any other options available.

~ Besides, I don't think the water here is poisonous. ~
~ We're not around Chernobyl or anything. ~
~ At least I want to believe that. ~

I scooped up some water and eagerly dipped my face into my hands.
The water tasted so good that it felt like it came from a spring, not a lake.
My reflection stared at me, blurred in the water and touched by the moonlight.
It seemed to be smiling.

~ Weird, I didn't even notice... ~

Overjoyed, I headed back, fully intending to sleep till morning...

...and a twig snapped nearby.

I turned to see what made the noise and saw someone behind a tree.

MnfQDOr.png
Who's there?

I called out, worried.

6iOU6wb.jpg

gykBv9j.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
What are you doing here?
7Zl4TZ7.png
Taking a walk.
MnfQDOr.png
At this time?!
VopEwDR.png
I don't even care anymore. This fucking game.
7Zl4TZ7.png
What, I can't?
MnfQDOr.png
No, it's just strange.

I leaned against a tree and pondered.

~ She's definitely here for a reason. ~
~ Besides, we barely made it here. You can't reach this lake on a 'walk'! ~
~ And even at night, Slavya sleeping a dozen steps away was in a clear view... ~

MnfQDOr.png
And?
0bFYpZw.png
What?
MnfQDOr.png
Were you going to say anything?
0bFYpZw.png
Am I supposed to?
MnfQDOr.png
Up to you.
0bFYpZw.png
I don't get what you're saying.
MnfQDOr.png
Okay... Been here for a while?
7Zl4TZ7.png
Well, not that long...
MnfQDOr.png
How long is that?
7Zl4TZ7.png
Not long!

Lena snapped.

MnfQDOr.png
Alright... Is that all?
7Zl4TZ7.png
I don't know.

We stood silently a while longer.

7Zl4TZ7.png
You should probably get back. Slavya will get cold.
MnfQDOr.png
So you saw?
40AJnTW.png
It was hard not to see.
MnfQDOr.png
If you think that...
ReevIoK.png
Well what am I supposed to think, huh? Seems as clear as day.
MnfQDOr.png
I guess... So you're not going to say anything?
ReevIoK.png
What is there to say? After your show at the square today, words don't seem to be needed.
MnfQDOr.png
There was no show... We just...

~ It's like I'm justifying myself to her. ~

MnfQDOr.png
That's none of your business anyway!
ReevIoK.png
Exactly. It's your business. Just be careful. Watch out.
MnfQDOr.png
ReevIoK.png
If everything comes to you so easily, you probably won't value it much. Though you should.
MnfQDOr.png
I don't get it.
ReevIoK.png
Well, like Slavya. Bam, this time it's magical. And then you do it another time, and another, and then you get tired of it. Maybe.

Lena paused.

ReevIoK.png
That's what I'm saying – you need to cherish what you have, even if you don't put much effort into getting it.
MnfQDOr.png
If you think I'm treating this like a game, you are totally wrong.
ReevIoK.png
I don't think that. But it's possible.
MnfQDOr.png
Besides! How about staying out of the things that are none of your business?
BDc7jQh.png
I am just giving you advice.
MnfQDOr.png
I don't remember asking for it.
H4uwQnJ.png
I think you should pay more attention to what you're doing and planning to do, so you don't feel any torturing regrets later on.
MnfQDOr.png
Look, this is starting to sound like a threat!

~ Huh, it really is... ~

7Zl4TZ7.png
Well, maybe so...

Lena said mysteriously.

MnfQDOr.png
So you...
7Zl4TZ7.png
No, not at all... Not now, to be precise.

She added in a whisper.

3eLGpWW.jpg

I didn't stop her.
When she was almost gone from sight, I noticed something in her hand blinking in the moonlight.

~ What a strange girl... ~

I sighed and returned to Slavya.
The warmth of her body kept me from the cold of the night.

JvBUINp.jpg

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Or water sports/lemon party.
Cringe from devs' promise of not making another VN hentai and main character forcefully rejecting best (leading into pleasure) choices is beyond Planet Cringe.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
DNP? You mean... it's sequel of Jacob's Ladder?
Agent Orange, fucking your own angel and daemons?
Oh dear.

Idiott

Arcane
2hoOx2I.jpg

E3V0yOo.jpg

Obviously, the sleeping-bag was warm, and it hadn't had enough time to be covered with hoarfrost, but still it was a novelty for me to spend the night in a forest.
Carefully, in order to avoid waking Slavya up, I got out of the bag.
The fresh morning air finally dispelled my drowsiness and the serenity of last night swept over me.

I guess it was the happiest moment of my life.
Intimacy, tenderness, love, passion, all those emotions interlinked in me during those short hours.
I looked at Slavya and she was beautiful. Her face was set in a motionless expression of absolute tranquillity and peacefulness.

~ I guess that's how angels sleep... ~

As I had no wish to wake her up, I just sat down by her side and observed the way the morning began.
Nature... The fresh dew, light wind, dancing tree leaves and patches of sunlight on the water used to be alien to me yesterday.
The concrete jungles of a huge city were the only forests I'd known before.
And if someone had told me that I could just sit and enjoy things like that, despite the night cool and annoying mosquitos, without computer or internet, I definitely wouldn't have believed them.

MliHlZt.jpg

I looked at Slavya.

MnfQDOr.png
Morning! Did you sleep well?
Eh9VgFZ.png
Better than ever.
MnfQDOr.png
Me too.

She reached out and kissed me.
The kiss seemed everlasting and I just dissolved in her.

Eh9VgFZ.png
Having breakfast would be great.

Slavya finally spoke, letting go of me.

MnfQDOr.png
Yeah, I guess so.
Eh9VgFZ.png
Do you know what time it is now?
MnfQDOr.png
No, but I think it's still early.
Eh9VgFZ.png
I hope the canteen is already open. I am sooo hungry.
MnfQDOr.png
Me too.

We got our things and walked to the camp, holding hands.

IykE63I.jpg

It wasn't a surprise that breakfast wasn't all that luxurous: oatmeal, two eggs, dry bread and watery tea.

MnfQDOr.png
You know, I never liked the local food.
y7JaMWk.png
Me neither, to tell you the truth.

Slavya laughed.

MnfQDOr.png
But there is no choice... And it is quite good on an empty stomach.
Fa3yyEl.png
That's right!

Unlike me, she was eating carefully.
And I was dropping porridge on my shirt and spilling tea over myself as usual.

VopEwDR.png
Not eating like a pig is hard after all.
Fa3yyEl.png
Do you always eat like this?
MnfQDOr.png
Anything wrong with that?

I asked with a full mouth.
She just laughed.

MnfQDOr.png
Oh... No, not always. But it happens when I am really hungry. Of course, I can be more civilised.

~ Well, I can try at least. ~

Fa3yyEl.png
No worries. It's nothing.

Soon we finished breakfast and went to the exit.

yyQwFSK.jpg

5y7aQ4M.png
Oh, it's you... Well, I won't ask where you spent the night... So, is it...

The camp leader was obviously embarrassed.

Fa3yyEl.png
Good morning to you too, Olga Dmitrievna!

Slavya said with a bright smile.

5y7aQ4M.png
Yes, morning... morning... Okay, just don't forget to pack your things.
Fa3yyEl.png
We won't!

Obfaewi.jpg

I asked Slavya when we left the canteen.

waSvxqy.png
No! Today is the last day. Have you forgotten?
MnfQDOr.png
Last day of what?
waSvxqy.png
Last day of the term!

To say that her words struck me dumb was an understatement.

MnfQDOr.png
How? Why?
nDpULtG.png
Why so surprised? Didn't you know? It was announced during the lineup.

But even at those lineups which I attended I was just sleeping on my feet.

MnfQDOr.png
No...
t6Dhpqp.png
Now you know!

Slavya smiled naturally.

MnfQDOr.png
And what should I do...?

Her words stirred a mass of emotions inside of me.

~ On one hand, I'll get out of this cursed camp at last. I might get some answers. ~
~ On the other – I have just found something very important to me. And now I have to let it go? ~

waSvxqy.png
What do you mean?
MnfQDOr.png
Oh, nothing... And when is the departure?
waSvxqy.png
In the evening, at five or six o'clock.
MnfQDOr.png
Well, still a lot of time!
waSvxqy.png
Yes, but I have some things to do. And I should find Zhenya, she might be worried, since I was absent for the whole night.

~ Oh, well, worrying is so much like her... ~

waSvxqy.png
See you at lunch!

Slavya gave me a kiss on a cheek and ran away.

I kept standing at canteen's entrance.
I had absolutely nothing to do, nothing to pack, so the only thing to do was to wander around the camp till evening and think, think, think...

~ I would give anything to be able to empty my head for this ten hours. ~

A voice pulled me out of my trance.

VLZOthT.jpg

Elektronik stood before me, as merry as usual.

MnfQDOr.png
You too...

I replied absent-minded.

ilz71d3.png
You know, the whole camp is talking about you!
MnfQDOr.png
I guess I know why...
ddmvTal.png
So you... did it already?

He asked, giggling.

MnfQDOr.png
Do you really think that concerns you?
KKJRWe5.png
Well, no. I just...
MnfQDOr.png
Then keep quiet!

Rzr7vNw.jpg

~ Why does he behave in a way that drives everyone mad? Although, it's probably just me he maddens... ~

- BUMP -

IXoUP34.jpg

oDNpmFR.png
Oh, sorry! I should be more careful! I was lost in thought and didn't notice you. You know how it happens... Oh, and hi!

I looked through her and kept walking.

oDNpmFR.png
Oh, Semyon, wait a second! What's up with Slavya? Tell me, it's so interesting! It seems that everyone in the whole camp except me knows about it. No, not that I'm curious, but since everything is all so serious...

Saying that she is not curious is like denying a universal truth.

MnfQDOr.png
Nothing special.

I answered without turning back.

oDNpmFR.png
Well, if you don't want to...

I tried to isolate myself from the outside irritations, so Miku's other words passed by.

hgEMIff.jpg

Luckily, the juvenile gem of the Soviet pop scene wasn't around.
I took a place on the sand and started gazing at the river.

~ Why on Earth is the whole camp so interested in my relationship with Slavya? ~
~ In my world, nobody would have said a word. At least, not out loud. ~
~ At least you don't hear the things they say behind your back. ~

VopEwDR.png
What world did you live in? :roll:

For now I was ready to endure gossip, just as long as I don't have to report to everyone about my private life.
The sun was rising higher and higher, and I was nodding off.

My eyes were already closed when I suddenly heard someone sitting down next to me.

5kd2QES.jpg

1yFcyDN.png
Congratulations!
MnfQDOr.png
Meaning?
1yFcyDN.png
Don't you know?

~ Yeah, it doesn't take an Einstein to work it out... ~

MnfQDOr.png
To be honest, I'm sick and tired of this... Everyone here just has to mention it. Enough!
s8OpRpU.png
And what did you expect? It is out of the ordinary for the camp. I would even say it's exceptional!

She laughed.

MkEyUqz.png
And to show up the camp leader just like that! Even Ulyana couldn't manage it. Me neither, probably...

I didn't know how to respond to that – or whether it was a compliment or mockery.

MnfQDOr.png
You know, you're making too big a deal out of it. There was nothing unusual for me. Moreover, I don't understand why you have to poke your nose into my life. Don't you think it's just my personal business and nobody else's?
pUuHdud.png
Maybe so... Maybe so...

Alisa said mysteriously.
We sat silently for a while.
I wanted her to leave as soon as possible, but Alisa was watching the pioneers on the beach, and it didn't seem that she was planning to go anywhere.

1yFcyDN.png
So, what are you going to do next?
MnfQDOr.png
1yFcyDN.png
Today's the last day.
MnfQDOr.png
Yeah, so what?
1yFcyDN.png
Everyone will leave.
MnfQDOr.png
So?
1yFcyDN.png
And Slavya will leave too.
1yFcyDN.png
And you will leave too. So?
VopEwDR.png
:negative:
MnfQDOr.png
You'll break up.

~ I know that already. Thank you. ~

MnfQDOr.png
Obviously.
1yFcyDN.png
And what do you think about that?
MnfQDOr.png
What should I think? I can't stay here forever.
n8EL3Rp.png
Of course you can't. But what, will you let her go just like that?
MnfQDOr.png
No... I mean, what can I do?

Frankly speaking, I really had no idea what to do next. My head was a complete mess.

~ I'll be able to get out of here. That was the most important thing for me during last week. And now I have to answer a much more difficult question. ~
~ How did 'summer romances' end for common Soviet teenagers (and my romance was a 'summer' one for sure)? They just went home and that was it... ~
~ They could live thousands of kilometres away from each other. In my case, in different worlds. ~
~ It's not like one can come up with a decent solution for such a problem in a couple of hours. ~

pUuHdud.png
Like I know! It's up to you to decide!

Alisa grinned, stood up and ran to the river.
There was only about half an hour till lunch, so I slowly walked to the canteen.

lr73oxF.jpg

I was just about to start eating, when someone abruptly pulled out a chair at the table near me and took a seat.

CCuipW2.jpg

It was Ulyana. An extraordinarily polite version of her.

MnfQDOr.png
I was fine until now.

I sneered.

sfmFmEM.png
Oh, come on! Better tell me, what are you going to do?
MnfQDOr.png
Eat.

I sighed.

bMf0OWa.png
I'm not talking about that. The session's over, you and Slavya are gonna part, what's next?

~ It's like my future is the priority issue for all the local residents. ~

MnfQDOr.png
Hey, what really is the matter?
bMf0OWa.png
Just curious!
MnfQDOr.png
Curious about what? I don't ask you what are you going to do tomorrow, the day after tomorrow or in a month! Why do you have to get into someone else's life?
EsOfdBr.png
I'm not getting into anything.
VopEwDR.png
Loosen your buttocks, princess.

Ulyana said, offended.

EsOfdBr.png
I'm not really good at all that stuff...
MnfQDOr.png
True enough, you're still a kid.
hZuPjjA.png
So you've got to explain, since you're the adult here!
MnfQDOr.png
What should I explain?
hZuPjjA.png
So you're going to stay in touch through letters, right? And then you're going to go to this camp next summer together?

~ Talking... through letters... ~

It sounds so wild to me.
And I don't mean the idea of paper sheets and envelopes. I mean the possibility of losing Slavya for a year, or probably even longer. Or forever...

hZuPjjA.png
So, what?

mdewf7J.jpg

I raised my eyes and saw Slavya standing near me with a food tray.

bMf0OWa.png
Ok, it's time to go.

Ulyana jumped and dashed off to a far corner of the canteen.

waSvxqy.png
What were you talking about?
MnfQDOr.png
You know her. What could we possibly be talking about?

Slavya smiled.

MnfQDOr.png
Took care of your business?
t6Dhpqp.png
Yeah! Now I'm completely free. I can help you pack your stuff.
MnfQDOr.png
It's not like I've got much to pack...
Fa3yyEl.png
Well, then you can help me with my stuff.
MnfQDOr.png
Sure.

That was the perfect opportunity for a quiet talk with her. Although I had not a slightest idea of what I should talk about.
Soon enough we finished our meal and headed to Slavya's cabin.

3Wa0WCG.jpg

7KhUViY.jpg

She took out her travel bag and started to rummage through a cabinet.
Meanwhile, I sat on the bed and started to gather my thoughts.

MnfQDOr.png
Do you have any plans for after the camp? What are you going to do?
Fa3yyEl.png
Well, you know...

She raised her eyes to mine and gave me a smile.

Fa3yyEl.png
I'll go back to school.
MnfQDOr.png
Ah... Yeah...
Fa3yyEl.png
And you?

~ What about me? It's not like I'm really considering going to high school for a second time... ~

MnfQDOr.png
Me? Well, me too, I guess. Although... I don't really feel like going back to my city.

~ Seriously speaking, even I felt like going back, I had nowhere to go anyway. ~

J9Jn0vQ.png
Why?
MnfQDOr.png
Just because... Because there is nothing to do there. Nothing at all. And there's no one waiting for me there.
J9Jn0vQ.png
But your parents?
MnfQDOr.png
My parents... Well, you know... they are not there now.
nDpULtG.png
But where are they then?
MnfQDOr.png
They're sort of... working abroad.
t6Dhpqp.png
Ah, so you're one lucky guy!

She smiled merrily.

MnfQDOr.png
Why?
t6Dhpqp.png
They send you foreign stuff and all.

~ I wouldn't call my situation lucky as such. ~

MnfQDOr.png
Well, anyway...
Fa3yyEl.png
Don't be upset!

~ She really looks like she doesn't understand what I'm saying. ~

MnfQDOr.png
I'm not upset about it.

And it was true.

waSvxqy.png
Then what's up?
MnfQDOr.png
Many things...
waSvxqy.png
For example?
MnfQDOr.png
Well, for example...

I was about to begin a vast outburst about my situation and my wish not to have to part with Slavya, when the door was flung open with a bang and Zhenya entered.

xgNoghz.jpg

waSvxqy.png
Yes, we're packing.
vcPJwxp.png
I see... It's a good thing I didn't come ten minutes later, or I would have disturbed your... 'packing'.

Slavya blushed and kept on stuffing her things inside the bag anxiously.

tdi2m1Z.png
What's up, heroic loverboy?

That form of address gave me the creeps.

MnfQDOr.png
What?
8HoK7d8.png
Nothing...

She stared at me intently for some time.

8HoK7d8.png
Watch it! Now more than just yourself depends on your choices.

I didn't reply and with those words Zhenya left the cabin.

waSvxqy.png
What did she mean?
MnfQDOr.png
I think you can never know for sure.
waSvxqy.png
And yet...
MnfQDOr.png
Well ... I wanted to talk to you about it myself.

~ I was able to start, but then... ~

waSvxqy.png
About what?

Slavya looked at me carefully.

MnfQDOr.png
It's just, today we're leaving, right?
waSvxqy.png
Right.
MnfQDOr.png
And we will move back to our cities.
waSvxqy.png
Well, yeah.
MnfQDOr.png
And when will I see you again?

Slavya grew thoughtful.

J9Jn0vQ.png
I don't know...
MnfQDOr.png
And I don't know either.
Fa3yyEl.png
But you could write me letters!

She smiled, but her smile didn't bring me peace of mind.

MnfQDOr.png
Yes, of course, but you know, that's not the same.
waSvxqy.png
What is it then?
MnfQDOr.png
Can I go with you?

I decided to take a chance and speak plainly.

nDpULtG.png
And what will you do there?

Slavya seemed to not be surprised, but a bit vexed.

nDpULtG.png
Studying, my parents... And what will people say?

I wasn't thinking about the opinions of other people. And to be honest, they didn't worry me much.

MnfQDOr.png
Well, we can always find a way!
nDpULtG.png
What way?
MnfQDOr.png
We'll think of something!
9ecTYYp.png
Semyon, we are too young for this...

~ In fact, I'm not. ~

MnfQDOr.png
So what?
waSvxqy.png
Maybe after some time...
MnfQDOr.png
How much time do you need? A year? Two years? Five?
FhZThlh.png
You say it as if... I don't know...

She seemed confused.

MnfQDOr.png
So everything that happened here was just a holiday romance?

I started getting angry.

nDpULtG.png
No! Of course not! Just...
MnfQDOr.png
What?
FhZThlh.png
I'm not ready to discuss it right now. Let's talk about it later.
MnfQDOr.png
When later? We have only a couple hours left till departure.

Slavya said nothing and continued to pack her things.
I'd expected almost any kind of reaction from her, but not this.
In fact, she just pushed me away.

~ It turns out she doesn't need to continue our relationship. So, I'm not that important to her. ~

MnfQDOr.png
Look, I still don't understand.
nDpULtG.png
What?

Asked Slavya without turning.

MnfQDOr.png
Why don't you want...
FhZThlh.png
And how did you expect it to be?
MnfQDOr.png
Well, I can find a job, rent an apartment.
FhZThlh.png
And what can you do? Do you at least have a school leaving certificate?

~ In fact yes. It's lying somewhere in the closet... ~

MnfQDOr.png
That's not important here!
FhZThlh.png
Why not?
MnfQDOr.png
If you have a goal you can overcome any obstacles! Moreover, they are not that big.
FhZThlh.png
That's what you think.
MnfQDOr.png
Maybe you are right. But anyway, I can't understand your reaction! After all, if we just leave, that's all, that's the end...
waSvxqy.png
I didn't say that.
MnfQDOr.png
But it's obvious.
9ecTYYp.png
Where did you get that idea from!?

She shouted.
Perhaps it was the first time I had seen Slavya like this.

MnfQDOr.png
Well, let me put it differently. I don't just want to go back to the place where I live... and to communicate with you only by letters or phone, hoping for a chance to meet.
FhZThlh.png
It will be hard for me too.
MnfQDOr.png
Well, what's the problem then?
FhZThlh.png
You know, not everything is up to us...
MnfQDOr.png
Who is it up to, then?!

~ Although, no-one would know how right she is better than I. If it was all up to me, I would have never found myself here. ~

FhZThlh.png
There are norms of society, laws, morality, ethics after all.
MnfQDOr.png
What do those have to do with anything? Are all those that important?!
FhZThlh.png
If they are not so important to you, they are important to me.
MnfQDOr.png
Okay. I'm even ready to behave according to your standards, but there is something more important.
lsPb7fJ.png
Maybe... But I can't so suddenly...
MnfQDOr.png
You don't have much time to think.

I paused for a moment to gather my thoughts.

MnfQDOr.png
I can only offer myself... Because it's the only thing I've got. Moreover, I don't know what might happen to me in an hour, but I'm sure that, whatever happens, if I have to start from scratch I want to start with you.
FhZThlh.png
You're speaking so beautifully, but imagine how I feel! For you it's all so simple, but I have my own life that I'm used to, and to change everything just like that...
MnfQDOr.png
I had one before too.

I said softly.

nDpULtG.png
What?
MnfQDOr.png
I'm saying that it's inevitable. Changes are part of life, you cannot live without facing them.

Slavya looked thoughtful, stood still for some time holding her bag in her hands, then came up to me, sat beside and put her head on my shoulder.

GVumy3q.jpg

At that moment I felt perfect happiness.

~ It doesn't matter that a week ago I was in a completely different world, living another life. All of that is gone and now it seemed to me like something wild or alien. ~

I don't even understand how I could consider that normal.

~ Now I am less concerned about how and by whose will all this happened. ~
~ Now I'm not looking for answers. Why would I, when they are all right here in front of me? ~
~ Now I have a long road ahead, hand in hand with the person I love. And looking back makes no sense. ~

I could sit here forever, not noticing the time, but Slavya finally looked at the clock and gently whispered in my ear:

Fa3yyEl.png
It's time.
MnfQDOr.png
Yes, exactly. You go to the bus stop, and I'll run to the camp leader's cabin to get my things.
y7JaMWk.png
You are so disorganised! You'd should have gathered them in advance.

Laughed Slavya.

MnfQDOr.png
I don't have much to pack anyway...

PsP6dnW.jpg

QzEv7kQ.jpg

5y7aQ4M.png
I thought you wouldn't come...

Py7XAlQ.jpg

e2qeLKu.jpg

F74bX9F.jpg

G31PX5e.png
Everyone's here?

Began Olga Dmitrievna.

G31PX5e.png
You're leaving our camp today and I'd like to tell you something in parting.

She was visibly nervous and desperately lost for words.

G31PX5e.png
I hope that you'll remember the time you've spent here for a lifetime and that you'll retain only pleasant memories about Sovyonok.
G31PX5e.png
I also hope that you became at least a little bit better, managed to learn something and found new friends...
S3wbv8t.png
Just... come back next year.

The camp leader turned away. It seems she was trying to hold back her tears.
I didn't expect her to get so emotional but I completely agreed with everything she said.
Perhaps it was the first time that I didn't turn a deaf ear to her.
I think I'll miss this camp. And even Olga Dmitrievna.

~ Although, if this is the start of a new life, then why not come back here one more time? ~

quSmmVM.jpg

The moon was shining, making everything as bright as day. Beyond the bus windows endless fields were passing, on occasion dressed up in gray but no less cheerful outfits, decorated in the distance with the dark green of the mighty forests.
Anyway, the surroundings were the least of my concerns now – I was enjoying the moment.

Slavya and I were sitting in the last row, looking at the other pioneers.
Ahead, Ulyana was going wild. She was running through the cabin and shouting. Lena was reading a book and Alisa was sleeping.

~ Seems like this world is absolutely normal. ~
~ And it doesn't really matter how I got here, if everything turned out so wonderfully. I became a different person, met Slavya. ~

ZQTHJ9C.jpg

MnfQDOr.png
Life.
Fa3yyEl.png
And how is it going?
MnfQDOr.png
Just great!

She laughed softly.

MnfQDOr.png
You know...
I8HP7JJ.png
Let it wait a little. The bus is rocking me to sleep. I will take a nap if you don't mind.
MnfQDOr.png
Sure, go ahead!

She rested her head on my shoulder and soon fell asleep.

The imminent arrival at the district centre – and a new chapter in my life - didn't worry me at all.
When you are on the top of the world, small things don't bother you.

Skzyoc0.jpg

Cu3bZlh.jpg

FYOXqup.jpg

It's like one is floating down a warm river towards a place far beyond the horizon, blissfully watching the vain world, hidden behind the clouds.
The past is left behind, its echoes do not tear your soul. And the future is right here, you just have to reach out.
It doesn't matter what is awaiting you there, the very process of immersing yourself in this fairy world of serenity and happiness is itself much more important.
I've always believed that the universe was once in this state and one day it will return to it again.

Our life is just a blink of an eye, just a second in comparison to the universe, the birth and death of stars is a minute and those of galaxies are hours.
But even all of that, all put together, will not even be a day.
Nobody thinks how to live each specific second so does it really matter what each drop in a stormy river, running beyond the horizon of existence, does?

5HqjXkC.jpg

I had no desire to stand up as I felt like I was in perfect bliss, muffled in a blanket.
After all, I don't have to go anywhere. As usual, actually...
And I don't have any plans.
So why shouldn't I just sleep?

I rolled over and stared at the old worn wallpaper covering the curved wall.
I wonder how long ago the last time they renovated this room was? And why does here have wallpaper instead of bare wood anyway?

Vague warming bells began ringing somewhere deep in my mind.
I threw the blanket away, jumped up and furiously began to look around.
Yes, I was in my flat again.

At first I was paralysed.
The shock was so strong that my brain was unable to process what was going on.
I just stood and gazed on the screen of the monitor on the table opposite me.
I couldn't think. I even forgot to breathe.
Finally my mind began to clear.

What happened anyway? I fell asleep on the bus, going to the district centre? Yes, something like that...
And Slavya was sitting by my side. And now I'm back here...
Seems like during the week I spent there in the camp, I had gotten so used to the fact that I'd never return to my previous life that now I just have no idea how to react to all this.
After all, at first my main wish was to get home...
But in the end, everything was like in a bad movie. At last, I had come back, but I am still shocked.

No, I felt no fear. I was rather interested... and upset.
After all, I'd already made up my mind to start a new life with Slavya, leaving all my problems behind – insults, suffering, self-examination, unfinished affairs and plans for the future.
Obviously that life could not be worse than this one, at least.
But there's no returning to it now...

On the other hand if someone had told me a week ago that I would be sent into a different world just like that, in the blink of an eye, I would not have believed him.
So what makes such a fantastic event happening again so impossible?

Moving my legs with difficulty I went to the kitchen, got a glass of water and returned to the room.
The ice-cold liquid with a disgusting aftertaste of bleaching powder revived me to some degree.
Now I have to decide what to do next.

Suddenly I realised that I could not bear the silence.
After turning the computer on I launched a random song in the player and managed to calm down somewhat.
And seriously speaking – what can I do? Recently I realised that absolutely nothing is up to me.
By someone's will I was pulled out of my usual world and then sent back.
No answers were found during the week in the camp.
What's the point in speculating now...?

I must forget everything that happened, like a bad dream!
Maybe those were just hallucinations, I don't really care now.

The only thing that prevented me from completely forgetting this short period of my life was Slavya.
I recalled her smile and all the time we spent together.
From the meeting on the very first day to the night in the forest and our departure from the camp.
My heart furiously jumped inside my chest, spreading oppressive pain all throughout my body.

I liked her at first sight. So gentle, caring, understanding...
Just like that anime heroine – what was her name? The one who helped an antisocial fellow like me deal with depression.
And if you think about it, there are no such people in real life!

Slavya asked nothing in return, needed no encouragement, never expected to be understood or praised for her work.
She just was being herself – a girl that cannot exist in real life.
If you think clearly, that's really exactly what she was.

It seems like I've seen one single, week-long dream.
About the pioneer camp, Soviet teenagers and their camp leader, about warm summer nights and gatherings around a fire, about light-hearted children's games and simple human joys, about one moment that lasted a week and the everlasting summer.
But not just 'seen'. I've been there, I was a part of everything!

My eyes unwillingly filled with tears. Not tears of pain or despair – tears of sorrow and bright melancholy.
Even if everything is over, I experienced something that most people could never even dream about.

Slavya's image flashed in my head, brighter and brighter.
I would love so much for her to return from that camp with me...
Maybe I have nothing to offer her now, but my entire life is still ahead of me.

I guess I learned a lot of useful lessons from these events.
I couldn't help thinking that it all seems too perfect, like it was written according to some simple plan.
A loser hero, a fantastic incident and a wonderful transformation...
I guess it's not possible. Not in this life...

Will I become the person I was before only a day or a week later?
Well, it's the most realistic course of events.
One thing's for sure, I'll never be able to go back...

6lhTy6K.jpg

2ujRHpD.jpg

udDloFN.jpg

IRCEemQ.jpg

f8qWWnp.jpg

l9Bu2BF.jpg

Owjsiri.jpg

RlpsQiJ.jpg

2LdPPpq.jpg

UdHKQdS.png
This brings back memories...

I sat down and rummaged in my pockets, trying to find cigarettes. However the packet was empty.

UdHKQdS.png
Fine...

I crumpled it up and threw it into the bin.

UdHKQdS.png
Maybe I'll get healthier!

A lonely star was shining in the sky.
Today I read on the internet that, according to the calculations of scientists, one of the most beautiful astronomical events has already ceased to exist and we'll see it only decades later.
Maybe this star has already exploded as well and now it is only a beautiful image in the night sky? Somewhere near a lost planet on the edge of the galaxy.

However, why does one or another thing exist?
Is it simply because it's just there, has shape and can be touched?
Or is it because we believe that it exists?
At first thought the answer is simple. But on the other hand...

Even if this star is gone we can still see its cold light.
Maybe it helped someone to get out of a snowy winter forest, gave someone hope, or a bit of warmth to someone else.
Could a simple astronomical object, that exploded God knows when, do all this? Can billions of people believe in something that doesn't really exist?
But belief itself never made any object real. At least none that I've ever heard of.

The snowfall grew stronger, now it was a real snowstorm. Midnight.
Will my carriage turn into a pumpkin in few moments?
Maybe the return from Sovyonok is the end of my own version of the 'Cinderella' tale?
Even so, is it really a bad end?

Why, any tale contains at least a bit of truth.
I remembered Slavya, stood up, shook off the snow and went slowly into the night.
I felt no sorrow, had no regrets.

Maybe all this is just another episode of that tale, that warming dream, which I wanted so much to continue.
Why can't it repeat, if it happened once already?
And what if I meet Slavya in reality...?

5dXNSJy.jpg

ho5eFm8.jpg

4LOuHMt.jpg

Every story has its own outline, synopsis, contents, key points, a prologue and an epilogue.
And there is no book, which would not reveal the things you didn't pay attention to previously after you read it again.
Every story has its beginning and its end.

594nIh7.jpg

Idiott

Arcane
And we won't, its just something someone made, probably using game's ability to add mods and shit:decline:

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
First 2 pics are really Jacob's Ladder - like. JL meet Matrix combined with rusian Biowares. Yeargh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom