Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EverQuest Landmark

Direwolf

Arcane
http://store.steampowered.com/app/297810/

Cheapest version is 20 bucks.

Settler Pack Overview:
We're utilizing Closed Beta to make development a collaborative process. Founder's Packs grant you unrestricted access to the Landmark Closed Beta, so you can help create the world of Landmark. Additionally, each Founder’s Pack offers exclusive items you’ll only be able to get through purchasing a pack.

Settler Pack - $19.99
  • • Unrestricted Closed Beta Access
  • • Settler Flag usable in EverQuest and EverQuest II
  • • Founder’s Pickaxe
  • • In-game Title: Founder
  • • Forum Title: Founder
Anyone tried it yet?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Last time I checked the building tools still were lacking (making a column was too much work etc) so I'll just wait for release and see.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I dont see a reason for buying and playing future free to play game where all your progress will be wiped at launch.

Dire Roach

Prophet
I got a free key shortly after closed beta started and played it for a few days. Apparently not much has changed since then.

-System requirements are relatively heavy. My system is at borderline minimum specs and I ran the game at about 30-45 fps when running around outdoors, but the game constantly stuttered every few seconds. Hopefully they will make some big optimizations to the engine, but I doubt it will happen any time soon.

-There's not much to do right now other than build and "like" what other people have built. Things like combat, hidden treasures, "natural" caves, and water haven't been implemented yet.

-In order to build, you need to claim your territory a certain distance away from the land that other players have claimed. Territory claims are always the same size and shape (about the size of a square apartment building 8 stories high), and you can only have a limited number of them (3?), which means that your options are broad, yet somewhat limited. You can also get permission to build inside other player's claims, but I'm not sure if you can get permission to place your claims next to theirs. Claims will "decay" and get deleted automatically after a few days unless you pay the copper ore required for their upkeep in advance.

-Keep in mind that they dropped "Everquest" from the name, so don't expect any EQ-related content unless it's player-generated.

That's about it. tl;dr: it's currently a very generic feature-incomplete Minecraft clone with fancier graphics.

Mortmal

Arcane
So far its paying to test a SOE game wich will be "free" to play at release ? Those pack arent cheap either, and i dont understand what priviledges they are really offering, headstart in open beta theres a wipe after beta isnt it ?

I bet my experience will not be the same as depicted in the trailer, its more likely to find dick shaped voxel mansions than the fairy castles and wondrous constructions...I know the online community far too well.

Dire Roach

Prophet
I never found any dick shrines when I went around looking at what other players had built. I think there's an option for reporting claims IIRC. I never found any cities or any super-impressive stuff either. There were a few nice places here and there that looked like they took a lot of patience to make (and made my fps drop to single digits), but the land was mostly littered with untitled crap shacks where people built their crafting stations and experimented a bit with ugly shapes before giving up.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I doubt you'll be able to even touch anyone else's creations, even less destroy them.

Alchemist

Arcane
The only pack that offers a significant advantage on release is the $99 Trailblazer one. Because you get the head start on open beta with that and can claim some prime spots during the land rush. Open beta claims supposedly won't be wiped when the official release comes. But that's a steep price to pay for a couple of days head start.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
it's currently a very generic feature-incomplete Minecraft clone with fancier graphics.
This. This is all I need.

Anyone got a spare key for this? Wouldn't mind taking a poke around...

EDIT: Also the 10mbit net connection suggestion that's floating around is a little off-putting...

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Humble bundel had close beta 7 day key in 1 dollar tier so I wanted to try it out but the game runs horribly on my machine :<

Mortmal

Arcane
it's currently a very generic feature-incomplete Minecraft clone with fancier graphics.
This. This is all I need.

Anyone got a spare key for this? Wouldn't mind taking a poke around...

EDIT: Also the 10mbit net connection suggestion that's floating around is a little off-putting...

Its not just that, it also has a completely functional item shop while there's no gameplay ,besides construction, implemented at all.With those kind of priorities i dont see why i should give it more than 10 min.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
All right, I'm in thanks to one of those 7 day passes.

Graphics are good. No connection issues despite only being on a 1 mbit connection with 256 kbit up.

3rd person game, so camera controls are as to be expected (IE: could be better). In a building game, this is kind of an issue though... Makes it a bit hard to really hit the right spot quickly and easily.

21 FPS on my quad core machine, with some bits dropping quite low - but no major issues here, though it does take a second or two to recover after alt-tabbing.

Claims are nowhere near big enough for proper epic construction projects - unless you string up a series of "attached claims", which costs resources. So likely viable for large projects assuming you have the resources. Claims also mean people seem to naturally want to build big ugly square platforms...

It's missing the "fun" aspect of just free-world mining that Minecraft has. No digging deep down into the Earth, carving out an underground lair and building an underground monolith. You seem restricted to just building on your claim.

Worlds are all small, uninteresting islands, and seem mostly dead - despite people wandering around a cave system in one of them. Most of the crap people build is crap.

Seems there's a lot of potential to build some really neat stuff... but so far I haven't seen anyone actually build anything that I'd call nice - as opposed to "ok, that's a fairly plain looking castle". One or two impressive things from an architectural stand-point of "oh wow, arches and nice curves" but mostly lacking.

Dr Tomo

Learned
This game has many issues it looks like from what I read on the thread, not sure until I start playing the game as I just got into closed beta like an hour ago. List:
  • Game development is too slow especially with content so many players burnt out and leaving
  • tools are complete garbage as they have been redone multiple times and if you have concepts in mind you are going to have to lower them substantially
  • dev's are using twitter as main source on communique and ignoring the forums
  • dev's locking threads that are overtly negative and hiding which person was the one to lock it to save face
  • apparently getting resources which are used to create stuff is becoming more grindy like resources and you have to pay upkeep
  • forums seems overflowing like roaches in the sewers with apologists claiming that burnt out people should play another game and that you are a tester etc and developers can only do so much
  • apparently the player run studio is pissing people off, might be because of the cash grab or something
Also not sure what to make of this, but bad enough that a bunch of people liked this response.

The Swap Meet issue has been further made worse now though thanks to Player Studio and Voxel Ownership. In every tutorial video what do you see on the site of the instructor?? the answer to that is a humongous Voxel Board or even a set of them now. The reason for these is that these are primitive shapes and have techniques that are associated with them that were started and initially developed by early Alphans. Basically now a build involving anything a little complex or requiring some embelishing is going to quite likely involve the use of things from a Voxel Board. Voxel Ownership issues now rare their head as if you copy a shape from a Voxel Board and build lots of stuff with it the stuff you build is now owned by either the person that made the board or the owner of the claim where you got it. In either case if you build now using anything from a voxel board its as if you didn't build it yourself and to me that really sucks and is very discouraging. I won't be submitting to Player Studio but now if I want my name to be the only one on the Builder List for my site I'd have to figure out how to make my own Voxel Board and that just seems to be way to much work.

Edit* From the looks of the thread Everquest Next is probably going to be released in a decade, unless they decide to release it early which means buggy turd like PW's titles.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Giving the player shop ownership of basic shapes will be the quickest way to sink the game.

The person you quoted wasn't endorsing players owning basic shapes Dr Tomo. It's a reasonable post in my assessment. Hmm.. For a game like this.. I'd think it's ok to pay others to build shit for you.. but to make others pay you when they build something, without your help, because you built it first seems dumb. It's a fucking game. Not that I'd play Landmark either way.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:dead:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-06-everquest-landmark-will-close-in-february

EverQuest Landmark will close in February

EverQuest Landmark has been cancelled and servers will close 21st February. It follows the cancellation of EverQuest Next nearly a year ago.

"With heavy hearts, we are writing today to inform you that after much review, we have decided to close Landmark game servers on February 21, 2017," wrote developer Daybreak on the Landmark website.

You can play Landmark until then but as of now can no longer buy the game or list items on the game's marketplace. All items with a Daybreak Cash price will be reduced to 1 DBC. The Landmark servers and accompanying forums and social media channels will close 4pm PST (midnight GMT) February 21st. There's a Landmark closure FAQ in case you have questions.

Landmark was originally a kind of companion game for EverQuest Next, a voxel world where things could be created, built, and potentially transferred to EQN. It was an embracing of Minecraft sensibilities for a new generation of EverQuest, and seemed like a good idea.

Landmark went into alpha testing and quickly took on a life of its own, so much so that when EverQuest Next was cancelled, Landmark became the torchbearer - "no longer ... just a building tool" but "a wonder unto itself", developer Daybreak said at the time. But the torch has been snuffed out.

Indeed, the 'new EverQuest' movement - beyond EverQuest and EverQuest 2 chugging along in the background - has been snuffed out. It's unlikely EverQuest Next, which "wasn't fun" according to Daybreak, will be swiftly redeveloped into something new. If it is salvaged, it will be at great expense - and take a long time.

Daybreak will more likely focus on H1Z1: King of the Kill, a big and fast deathmatch of a spin-off for zombie survival H1Z1 - one that finished as a best-selling Steam game in 2016. It's in Steam Early Access with a promise of PS4 and Xbox One versions after the PC game launches. But there's no formal PC release date - H1Z1: King of the Kill nearly launched 20th September 2016 but Daybreak retreated last moment. H1Z1: King of the Kill now simply enters 2017 as under development.

Alchemist

Arcane
I'm glad I abandoned this early on. Very interesting technology and initial ideas, but they've fumbled and mishandled it all along. The buyout thing and purging many of the talented developers was the beginning of the end.

I wish some competent developer would buy the EQ IP / franchise from Daybreak.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This was known as soon as they cancelled / admitted that they hadn't actually worked on EQ Next. The whole company is going to hell because of their shitty H1Z1 zombie survival MMO failure. EQ1 & 2 are the only things keeping them afloat.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't agree with a lot of the decisions daybreak games makes. Their subscription model is the worst form of communism.

Gerrard

Arcane
"THANKS FOR THE MONEY, SUCKERS"

:mrpresident:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom