Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everquest Next

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Oh god, what are you doing? Hope you like the new "reinterpretation".

Q5hi1cj.jpg

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I fucking hate modern fantasy art. This artwork is basically saying "Yeah, well, our game is going to be popamole and utter shit".

Mortmal

Arcane
Cant expect them to be nearly as skillfull than keith parkinson of course , but that modern interpretation is terrible. Women anatomy is wrong , they clearly had a boob job, i hope the in game characters are nothing like that, i know a few who wont be happy. World of warcraft like unrealistic armor with epic shoulderpads as usual ; that dark elve armor is specially dumb, nothing to cover the torso but oversized boots and shoulderpads ... "Modern" fantasy is just plain shit .

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
You gotta love Firiona's, if that's even her, impossible waistline and visible thong string. It's kinda hilarious that this new re-imagined scene seems to be more exploitative than the original released over a decade ago with absolutely no qualms about plastering scantly dressed women all over its covers. Also, no one wears scabbards for their weapons anymore.

Mortmal

Arcane
eq-next-teaser-pre-soe-live.jpg

Thats supposed to be an in game character work in progress . Now looking at the "artist" desk, i understand things...

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Q5hi1cj.jpg

I love the expression on that wizard's face in the first picture. I can tell exactly what he's thinking: "dat ass". He doesn't even care about the battle going on behind him.

As for the second picture: it's like they're trying to make me not want their game. We've got huge pauldrons, a furry, overwrought glowy weapons...I wonder what audience they're going for?

And as for that artist's desk: good job alienating everyone who isn't a brony. Anyone else remember the Drew Carey Show? That's what Mimi's desk might look like if it was made today.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why is that ugly elf chick in the lower picture (Firiona Vie?) dual wielding a bow and a sword? Or is that one of those sword shooting bows? Seriously this whole picture is beyond stupid.

Alchemist

Arcane
Q5hi1cj.jpg
As for the second picture: it's like they're trying to make me not want their game. We've got huge pauldrons, a furry, overwrought glowy weapons...I wonder what audience they're going for?
It's like they told the artist - do an interpretation using the shittiest WoW visual cliches possible to bring in Blizzard's fans. To be fair though, furries were already part of EQ long ago (Vah Shir).

The big problem with art like this and a lot of newer fantasy art is it totally lacks subtlety. Everything has to be big, chunky, flashy and extreme now. You can really see that difference in comparison to Parkinson's original.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Why is that ugly elf chick in the lower picture (Firiona Vie?) dual wielding a bow and a sword? Or is that one of those sword shooting bows? Seriously this whole picture is beyond stupid.

I guess she's going to draw the string with her teeth since it's on the wrong side of her hand, haha. What a retard.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like August 2nd is going to be the big reveal. (It will be hilarious if it turns out to be a medieval FPS with swords)

Also I applaud SoE's creative new ways to fleece people. Allow players to create player made content in their game and reward them with in game tokens so they can buy costumes and other shit.

Now that was... disappointing. Destructible environment is good, but something tells me that there would be environmental regeneration, and/or it would be destructible only in specific locations.
My main problem though it's the lack of information about UI (they didn't even shown it), PvP, RvR and guild system. Also, it looks like they want to entice casual WoW/Minecraft crowd, and not their former userbase.

Their "emergent AI" kinda reminded me of old Oblivion's pre-release presentations with "Radiant AI". Would be glad if I'm wrong though.

And Dear God, who thought that it's a good idea to show such quantity of nerds. "See, EQ made it possible for us to have sex!".

Upd. RPS wrote their "First look" about EQN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom