Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everquest Next

Alchemist

Arcane
I have mixed feelings on the presentation. Not fond of the art style but I'm actually pretty impressed with the technology they showed off. Love the voxels and player building potential. Lots of ambitious features regarding world / NPC / monster reactivity. Hope they can pull all of that off.

"Landmark" will pretty much be a better-looking Minecraft / Second Life, which could be fun for what it is (not as a game but pure sandbox). And maybe I can make some cash designing stuff there.

People wanting traditional EQ will rage though - this is something totally different.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think it looks awesome, especially if you like building, exploration, multiclassing, and action. I'm not getting my hopes too high, though, since it all looks a little too ambitious. Also, I doubt this game will have much to offer hardcore PvP fans.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Although they haven't shown the UI and SOE doesn't want to confirm its availability for the PS4, there's this sentence from the joystiq article:

You won't need eight or more hotbars like my poor Fury! Combat will consist of four skills and four weapon moves at a time. The weapon moves depend on what weapon you have equipped, and what skills you have at your disposal depends on what classes you have discovered and learned.
It sounds pretty much like GW2's skill system but easily mappable to console controls. It will be DC Universe Online without guns. Except they will include guns because all fantasy settings nowadays have guns.

Stabwound

Arcane
I don't think they're trying hard enough. Give us a hardcore brutal non-optional PVP world. That's the type of niche game that doesn't really have any modern offerings, and Everquest is a brand with enough recognition that they could possibly pull it off. Differentiate yourself from the WoW model, don't just do the same shit on a bigger scale with a few new things.

The day such a hardcore MMORPG comes out akin to the old Ultima Online is the first day I might ever subscribe to a monthly plan MMO.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think they're trying hard enough. Give us a hardcore brutal non-optional PVP world. That's the type of niche game that doesn't really have any modern offerings, and Everquest is a brand with enough recognition that they could possibly pull it off. Differentiate yourself from the WoW model, don't just do the same shit on a bigger scale with a few new things.

The day such a hardcore MMORPG comes out akin to the old Ultima Online is the first day I might ever subscribe to a monthly plan MMO.

Why would anyone use the name "EVERQUEST" to brand a hardcore PVP game? That doesn't fit at all.

Alchemist

Arcane

I think it's a bit early on for PVP details - they might have plans for that we just don't know about. Heck, maybe they haven't even designed a PVP system yet. Everquest has always been about PVE first and foremost though. Sandbox games have a lot of PVP potential though.

I thought there were a few open sandbox PVP-focused games already though? Darkfall, Mortal Online, Eve Online?

As for comparison to WoW - the only similarity I see is the art style - the sandbox gameplay and features they describe sound pretty far removed from WoW.

Well whatever I was expecting of this game was clearly wrong. Now I see it as a LCD style F2P cash grab where the players help make content.

Don't expect anything to be 'hardcore' about this game.

Too many buzzwords and promises, not enough content shown. Some of the ideas are interesting, but they're a nightmare to implement and I highly doubt SoE has the potential to make them work at all.

Not a fan of the artstyle at all, and not a fan of the classless system. I like rigid class limitations and interplay between them in a group, that's what made EQ interesting to play.

They're releasing the game in an extremely crowded market (the F2P MMO market is ridiculously competitive); this by itself already limits the potential for anything decent. They're apparently gunning for universal appeal - I had hopes that they would stick to a vision of a product for a limited fanbase and make the best of it: this isn't the case at all.

I expect nothing but a dumb action game with maybe some pretty scenery from time to time. And a completely retarded F2P model (SoE's current F2P MMO models are all universally fucking terrible).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The game looks positively boring as all fucking hell.

Voxels? Building stuff? Yes, great as a Minecraft 2.0. But the MMORPG presented sounds like shit.
It's like Guild Wars 2: cater to the non-MMORPG players. The ones that will stop playing as soon as they've grown a little tired of the game or the next blockbuster EA action title is released.
You need a clear character progression and an item progression. You need limitations. You can't have a "dynamic group-quest system" and that's it -- you're gonna need real, proper quests. You can't have everybody be every class. People need to be unique. People choose "bard" and then they are a bard. They like that.

Also, the world destruction and character animations clash and it looks like shit.

I watched a TESO video too and it also looks like shit.

Wildstar is the most promising MMORPG.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It seems interesting but I have my doubts about their execution. Also this whole destructibility angle that has everyone orgasming... I just don't see it selling an MMORPG. Sure, it's a nice features and you'll get some of the audience you otherwise wouldn't, particularly considering it's going to be F2P, but if history of gaming overall and MMOs has taught me anything it's that if you give freedom to the players you can more likely expect to find a smoldering crater instead of original useful content. It otherwise seems to have borrowed some core designs from GW2; same weapons giving different skills to different classes and tying skills into weapons in the first place, etc.

I don't know. I'll definitely try it because it's free, though.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
To be fair, SOE is attempting a living, breathing sandbox fantasy world with EQ: Next. And, even if we admit that game journalism is shit and endure the hype bullshit, there are a few respected reviewers that have come out in support of what they saw:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/02/first-look-everquest-next/
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/02/soe-live-2013-everquest-next-explained/

There will also be some sort of Everquest minecraft preceding the EQ:N launch: https://www.everquestnext.com/about-landmark

Terpsichore

Arcane
I can't trust SOE at this point, they butchered both EQ2 and Vanguard and their concept of "f2p" is disgusting.

f2p is truly a disease.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom