Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everquest Next

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
They don't have the talent to pull off a Frazetta style.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I actually like the art style, but I don't love it. It's nowhere as cartoony as Torchlight or WoW either. The style is meant to be expressive and is partly a consequence of the world being built by voxels. Even though the features are a little exaggerated, everything looks painted and has a nice level of detail, unlike WildStar, which looks like it came out in 2008. I'd also like to add that while a proper screenshot of EQ2 might look good, the animation quality and overall art direction of that game is abysmal. In the end, I prefer realism, but I still think this looks pretty good. That Kerran's armor is Goddamn awful though.

Xi

Arcane
I watched the presentation and this looks interesting. Destructible environments, claims to build (mine craft style) on plots of land, and basically it relies on the community to make a part of the game world. I bet Zenimax is cringing a little bit after seeing this.

;P

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really didn't like EQ or EQ2, and SOE has a poor history, but I'm just not sensing any BS from them on EQN. Classes and land grants will definitely be their cash cow in the shop, but that's cool. They're allowing structures in Landmark to to transferred over to player owned lands in EQN, so players and guilds can get a head start in the housing department. I'm going to try and build an airship themed house. That should be a fun challenge. I figure I'll roleplay a da vinci type who builds flying machines that don't work, lolz.

Alchemist

Arcane
Classes and land grants will definitely be their cash cow in the shop, but that's cool.
I could see their potential business model being geared toward land sales definitely, ala Second Life. That might be pretty cool - let the hardcore land owners carry the financial weight of free players. This might prevent cash shop pay-to-win shenanigans from being necessary.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Classes and land grants will definitely be their cash cow in the shop, but that's cool.
I could see their potential business model being geared toward land sales definitely, ala Second Life. That might be pretty cool - let the hardcore land owners carry the financial weight of free players. This might prevent cash shop pay-to-win shenanigans from being necessary.

9100o6.jpg

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I like how all their character designs are shallow and obvious ripoffs of World of Warcraft characters.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
The art style is easily compared to WoW, but that's a lazy person's critique and is short sighted. In reality, The biggest offender are the armor sets, which are clearly WoW ripoffs. This is mostly a problem because the rest of the art direction is actually quite a bit different from WoW's. The concept art and panels go through much detail about the style, and it's actually coming from a different direction than WoW, even though the end results are somewhat similar. Let's face it, a world built with voxels requires a lot of sacrifices, especially when one considers the number of simultaneous users. Realism was ultimately sacrificed for gameplay, and I'm sure Sony realized that a lot of "Hardcore" graphic whores would lose interest, but considering what happened to EQ2, this was chance they had to take. Regardless, I'm willing to bet EQN steals less from WoW than WoW stole from EQ.

Thane Solus

Arcane
f2p is truly a disease.

It won't go away. There are not enough people that are willing to pay a monthly fee to sustain operations. That's true for almost all MMO. If you can solve this problem, I am sure everyone here will welcome p2p MMOs back with open arms.

Go.

What is way more important thatn the monetization question is changing the meaning of MMOs from worthless singleplayer grindware back to what they were in the glorious UO days.

They are not enough people for shitty half backed mmos. If you make a niche mmo like EVE, Darkfall or w/e you can do quite fine with a p2p and its actually recommended, otherwise your game will be filled with mongoloidz asking how to press buttons on interface, etc. If you need more money, you can make aesthetic in-game shop just for skins, or additional brag costumes shit, nothing to interfere with balance or gameplay.

It only applies on big companies, where the shitty production flow costs so much that they need to make games for mongoloids so they get money back and money for hoes. At the same time very few good developers still work at big companies to actually design a proper next-gen MMO or niche games.

P2p doesnt work now for mainstream MMOs because we all know they are shit, the developers know they made a shity cash grab, so they made them free to play and make even more money than those with p2p, and laugh all the way to bank.

Dont even start me on the Freemium on single player mobile games... now slowly coming on PC too...

Ninjerk

Arcane
They are not enough people for shitty half backed mmos. If you make a niche mmo like EVE, Darkfall or w/e you can do quite fine with a p2p and its actually recommended, otherwise your game will be filled with mongoloidz asking how to press buttons on interface, etc. If you need more money, you can make aesthetic in-game shop just for skins, or additional brag costumes shit, nothing to interfere with balance or gameplay.

It only applies on big companies, where the shitty production flow costs so much that they need to make games for mongoloids so they get money back and money for hoes. At the same time very few good developers still work at big companies to actually design a proper next-gen MMO or niche games.

P2p doesnt work now for mainstream MMOs because we all know they are shit, the developers know they made a shity cash grab, so they made them free to play and make even more money than those with p2p, and laugh all the way to bank.

Dont even start me on the Freemium on single player mobile games... now slowly coming on PC too...

Tell us how you really feel

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I think Thane is right - personally, I'm happy to pay for an MMO (and I have in the past), but there aren't a lot of MMOs out there that I feel are worth my money right now. I also agree that most of the high-profile MMO faceplants of the past several years have been due to the games either:

a) being shitty, uninspired rip-offs of WoW or...
b) being broken and unfinished at release

If a competent studio makes an interesting MMO that actually works at launch and has all the features and systems in place that have been promised during development, then they could probably get away with charging a monthly fee.

Gambler738

Novice
So EQ, which had some actual difficulty, decent themepark gameplay is deciding to WoWify themselves because they feel threatened? No thanks...I'll stick to LOTRO for now...with all of his crappy flaws.

Thane Solus

Arcane

Tell us how you really feel

:1/5:

Codexlurker

Savant
That would have been forgivable if the art design wasn't so damn generic.
eqnext_artnoname.jpg
url

Q5hi1cj.jpg

How does one manage to make Firiona Vie look like Janet Jackson? Anyway, it's free to play so I might as well witness the trainwreck first hand.

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nobody was raped IRL lol.. it was a fanfic.. but there is so much delicious old school drama if you know where to look. Not even sure new games can have drama anymore because everybody is just handed everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom