Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everquest Next

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
According to the company, somebody said that the incident was particularly disturbing because of real life incidents, etc.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It was basic old school guild drama.. competitor hacks guys account.. makes a few comments in game then reports to company and links to story and gets guy banned. Those in game comments are what smed was referring too. You can find the full story if you want.. but I'm sure just the fanfic alone is enough to cause butt hurt for SoE.

Don't tell me you've never seen an account hacked before then banned because of competitors? Kids these days aren't even trying to have real guild wars any more.

slackerwizrd

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kids these days aren't even trying to have real guild wars any more.

In Everquest, real guild wars were pretty pathetic from what I remember and mostly died out during Kunark expac(?). Never really did much with world pvp servers past the initial leveling zones.

As for Eqvault, there was so much trash posted on that board.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I always liked the tale of Fansy the bard on the "no rules" pvp servers who griefed the evil mpk'er / loot ninjas so much that they had to make a special rule just for him lol.

Always warms my heart to watch somebody roleplaying as a "Good" character and devastating "Evil" so bad they have to turn to the GM's on a "no rules" server xD

Such an epic call to arms

http://www.notaddicted.com/fansythefamous.php

Fansy said:
War is wrong, but sometimes when something is really really bad (such as evil) there is a good reason to fight.

Last edited:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I always liked the tale of Fansy the bard on the "no rules" pvp servers who griefed the evil mpk'er / loot ninjas so much that they had to make a special rule just for him lol.

Always warms my heart to watch somebody roleplaying as a "Good" character and devastating "Evil" so bad they have to turn to the GM's on a "no rules" server xD

Such an epic call to arms

http://www.notaddicted.com/fansythefamous.php

Fansy said:
War is wrong, but sometimes when something is really really bad (such as evil) there is a good reason to fight.

This is hilarious :lol:

Stuff like this will probably never happen again which is pretty sad. The only modern MMO I can think of that has a similar level of trolling and butthurt would be EVE-Online.

Alchemist

Arcane
They posted a video dev diary about Landmark:

TL;DW - Minecraft / Terraria

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How to say a lot of words without saying anything.
PR people are just failed politicians.
There was quite a bit of new info in that article, especially since it's the first time combat's even been mentioned as part of the game play of EQNL. Also, Dave Georgeson is a dev who has worked on many RPGs including the Gold Box games. He might be a PR guy, but by that logic so isn't MCA.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
EQ Next = 90% voxel minecraft, 10% 3rd person action?

You can't have meaningful content with this free-form approach unless you have Eve-like social systems.
Game dead in a couple of months. Won't last much longer than TESO.

Alchemist

Arcane
EQ Next Landmark = 90% voxel minecraft, 10% 3rd person action?
Fixed that for you. Emphasis and correction added.

Everquest Next will be an entirely different game than EQ Next Landmark. They're making 2 separate games that share the voxel technology.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Everquest Next will be an entirely different game than EQ Next Landmark. They're making 2 separate games that share the voxel technology.
And how much do people know about Next other than the landscaping? ~~

Alchemist

Arcane
Details are sparse, yeah - but they've made it very clear that Landmark is a social building game while EQNext will be more of a traditional PVE MMO. Assets generated in Landmark will be usable in EQNext. But the game mechanics will be entirely different.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Details are sparse, yeah - but they've made it very clear that Landmark is a social building game while EQNext will be more of a traditional PVE MMO. Assets generated in Landmark will be usable in EQNext. But the game mechanics will be entirely different.
I don't doubt it will be different. I do think it's gonna have very little to offer tho. The min draw is definitely the building/destruction aspect, even for non-Landmark, and even that will be lacking since it's only locally stored destruction if I understand it correctly. i.e. everything will be instanced and sucky.

Suicidal

Arcane

I've heard that you will be able to kill any player anywhere in that game and that is reason enough for me to try it :D

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The mmo promises some good features, way more interesting than the minecraft stuff. Multiclassing, solid itemization and above all a dynamic world, that reacts to players actions; if players keep on killing Orcs in the forest, they will move away to a more remote area, possibly killing the other mobs that lived there. All handled via AI behaviours, not premade patterns, or at least that's the promise.

Alchemist

Arcane
Yeah some of the dynamic emergent creature behavior they've talked about is pretty interesting. Thus moving away from "mobs standing around in a field waiting to be killed", the staple of MMOs.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If done right, could lead to some really awesome fights for power. If a small guild of 10 bros can "scare" away enemies from one region, and PvP is enabled everywhere, large guilds will try to farm and protect enemies and regions from other players... That dynamic conflict between players is what makes a MMO special.

Avellion

Erudite
It is a shame mmos have moved away from the emergant gameplay with the closest we see as emergent gameplay is smoke and mirrors to create some kind of illusion of it. I really hope the dynamic world is the former and not the latter and I will be really disappointed if it turns out that the orcs come back after 10 minutes after being scared away. Likewise, I hope that there is World PvP in this game, as more and more modern mmos are moving away from that to make world PvP exclusive in the "World PvP" Zone, some of my most fondest memories in WoW arose from conflicts brewing up between horde and alliance players resulting from either corpse camping, killing of NPCs or Horde and alliance players just competing for the same mobs.

Last edited:

Xenich

Cipher
The mmo promises some good features, way more interesting than the minecraft stuff. Multiclassing, solid itemization and above all a dynamic world, that reacts to players actions; if players keep on killing Orcs in the forest, they will move away to a more remote area, possibly killing the other mobs that lived there. All handled via AI behaviours, not premade patterns, or at least that's the promise.

Problem is, they are doing a FTP model and that spells doom for a quality game as they design all the content with hook gimmicks to push people to the store. It also says the game will likely lack difficulty (other than how fast you can spam your keys to win) or... if it does, it will be easily circumvented in the store, making any effort spent in the game without the store a waste. I read about some basics of their development system. Apparently, there won't be levels exactly. Class progression will be determined by various task completions and achievements, as well as obtaining a set of armor for that tier. That has "Come to the store and buy your level 50 warrior tier armor for 25% off" written all over it all the while they make the time/effort to obtain that armor so ridiculous that it makes asian MMO grinds seem reasonable.

Xenich

Cipher
Yeah, it is a shame mmos have moved away from the emergant gameplay with the closest we see as emergent gameplay is smoke and mirrors to create some kind of illusion of it. I really hope the dynamic world is the former and not the latter and I will be really disappointed if it turns out that the orcs come back after 10 minutes after being scared away. Likewise, I hope that there is World PvP in this game, as more and more modern mmos are moving away from that to make world PvP exclusive in the "World PvP" Zone, some of my most fondest memories in WoW arose from conflicts brewing up between horde and alliance players resulting from either corpse camping, killing of NPCs or Horde and alliance players just competing for the same mobs.

I really wish they would stop making PvP/PvE games. They don't work. Unless you have entirely different rule sets, environments, gear, etc... (basically two separate games), you simply end up with extreme homogenization or a constant shifting of the "fuck you" stick back and forth between PvE and PvP.

To be honest, there isn't any such thing as a "PvP/PvE" game. A PvP/PvE game is just a PvP game with craptastic PvE.

Avellion

Erudite
Yeah, it is a shame mmos have moved away from the emergant gameplay with the closest we see as emergent gameplay is smoke and mirrors to create some kind of illusion of it. I really hope the dynamic world is the former and not the latter and I will be really disappointed if it turns out that the orcs come back after 10 minutes after being scared away. Likewise, I hope that there is World PvP in this game, as more and more modern mmos are moving away from that to make world PvP exclusive in the "World PvP" Zone, some of my most fondest memories in WoW arose from conflicts brewing up between horde and alliance players resulting from either corpse camping, killing of NPCs or Horde and alliance players just competing for the same mobs.

I really wish they would stop making PvP/PvE games. They don't work. Unless you have entirely different rule sets, environments, gear, etc... (basically two separate games), you simply end up with extreme homogenization or a constant shifting of the "fuck you" stick back and forth between PvE and PvP.

To be honest, there isn't any such thing as a "PvP/PvE" game. A PvP/PvE game is just a PvP game with craptastic PvE.
There are quite a bunch of MMORPGs (and CORPGs) that do that. WoW's PvP may not have been the best (nor was it utter crap), but it was a nice change of pace from time to time and the mere knowledge that you could be ganked (almost anywhere) at any time, helped build up an atmosphere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom