Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everquest Next

Froglok

Educated
game looks like it has nothing to do with EQ at all

just another free to play piece of shit cashgrab using raping an established name to sell itself

fuck soe

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
game looks like it has nothing to do with EQ at all

just another free to play piece of shit cashgrab using raping an established name to sell itself

fuck soe
You're not really following this, are you? There are two games in development: Everquest Next and Everquest Landmark. Landmark is the one we're talking about, that is intended as a minecraft-clone, as well as test for part of the features/server/engine that Everquest Next will have.

Froglok

Educated
I am aware of the difference

My post is about EQ next, not the shitty minecraft program being used for cheap(free?) labor on their world design

Alchemist

Arcane
I've been in Landmark since alpha - so maybe I can clear up a few things here.

- They removed Everquest Next from the Landmark name - it's just "Landmark" now. People got too confused and thought this was the beta for Everquest Next. It's not - it's a social building MMO (any genre - not just Norrath or fantasy based) using a minecraft-like game structure (but vastly superior graphics). If you don't like harvesting and building, you probably won't enjoy Landmark as it is now. There will be monsters, combat and player-created content to play eventually. But if you want a true EQ game with the Norrathian lore and such, you want to wait for EQ Next.

- Landmark is based on the same technology that will be used to create EQ Next: Destructible voxel-based terrain and extreme flexibility in player building capability. Eventually the AI / NPC / Monster / Quest systems will be part of this too. We'll be able to make our own dungeons and quests in Landmark on our builds. These will be the same systems SOE will use to create EQ Next.

- Landmark is currently "barely beta" in my estimation. They should still call it Alpha - as so many systems still aren't in (water, underground cavern system, monsters, player trading post, combat...). Also the harvest / crafting progression needs a lot of tweaking - because yeah, it's quite grindy right now, just to get basic building tools.

- Upgrading your harvest tools and crafting stat-boosting accessories speeds up the harvesting immensely. At the beginning it's abysmally slow and tedious - it gets better though.

- There is upkeep, which prevents the ghost-town effect seen in Star Wars Galaxies. If you don't pay your upkeep, you lose your claim. Right now the maximum you can pay ahead is 5 days, which is annoying to some folks. They say this will be changed though.

I agree that 7 days is barely enough time to dig in and see what Landmark can do - especially for those with jobs, lives and stuff. For example in the last seven days I've only been able to play a few hours here and there and just barely have all my build tools created. (Alpha builds, claims, and tool progression were wiped).

If I upgrade my founder's pack I might have a few unlimited-time beta keys to give out here. Still deciding on that one (I'm at the Explorer level, which has no buddy keys included). A suggestion though - if you want a smoother, more streamlined and full-featured experience I'd wait for open beta.

If anyone has any questions about Landmark, fire away.

Avellion

Erudite

Well, this game wont appeal to the combatfags, that is for sure. At least they seem to have implemented a support and crowd control class.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/0...ails-on-everquest-next-combat-classes-and-ra/

SOE Hipster said:
So what about combat itself? It's definitely not your old-time tab targetting system! EQ Next's combat, like Landmark's is very active and involves skill, relying on body positioning. If you want to attack you need to be facing the target.

Well this guy obviously never played everquest if he thinks people used tab targeting and that body positioning didn't make a difference.

That was a shitty video.. they didn't even showcase the combat UI at all.. unless the game is going to be entirely dependent upon controller / keyboard for input? I wouldn't be surprised if it was controller oriented.. makes it easier to sell to console tards.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I bought the Trailblazer, but haven't touched it or given away the free beta keys.

:patriot:

Eventually there will be some epic dungeon crawls made with Landmark, but it's super slow going right now.

Right now it's a wait and see sort of deal.

Alchemist

Arcane
I haven't touched Landmark much since alpha - between lack of time and being demotivated since they'll be wiping all but templates at launch. But they did announce finally that combat, environmental damage and some monsters are coming later this month, so I might check it out again then. The world will likely feel more alive at that point and not just a building platform.

Angthoron

Arcane
EverQuest Next Cancelled -- "It Wasn't Fun"
"After much review and consideration, Daybreak is discontinuing development of EverQuest Next."

EverQuest Next, the new installment in the longrunning EverQuest series, has been canceled. Developer Daybreak Games (formerly Sony Online Entertainment), made the announcement today on its website.

"After much review and consideration, Daybreak is discontinuing development of EverQuest Next," Daybreak president Russell Shanks said.

"For the past 20 years, EverQuest has been a labor of love. What started as a deep passion of ours, as game creators, grew into a much larger passion shared by you, millions of players and Daybreakers alike," he added. "Watching EverQuest's ability to entertain and bring people together has inspired and humbled us. It's shaped our culture and has emboldened us to take aggressive risks with our game ideas and products. When we decided to create the next chapter in the EverQuest journey, we didn't aim low. We set out to make something revolutionary."

Shanks went on to say that game cancellations are a reality in the gaming business. For EverQuest Next, he explained that the PC MMO simple was not fun.

"Inherent to the creative process are dreaming big, pushing hard and being brutally honest with where you land," he said. "In the case of EverQuest Next, we accomplished incredible feats that astonished industry insiders. Unfortunately, as we put together the pieces, we found that it wasn't fun. We know you have high standards when it comes to Norrath and we do too. In final review, we had to face the fact that EverQuest Next would not meet the expectations we--and all of you--have for the worlds of Norrath."

Though EverQuest Next is no more, Daybreak will continue to support EverQuest and EverQuest II, both of which are "going strong," Shanks said.

Overall, the EverQuest franchise remains important to Daybreak, Shanks srressed, adding that fans of the franchise can "rest assured that our passion to grow the world of EverQuest remains undiminished."

In an interview with MMORPG, Shanks teased that the EverQuest franchise still has "plenty of room" for new stories to be told, potentially across games similar in size and scope to EverQuest or EverQuest II.

"The future of the EverQuest franchise is important to our company and you have not seen the last of Norrath by any means," he said. "It's just as engrained in our hearts as it is for our players. We helped usher in the era of MMOs because we loved the idea of bringing gamers together within the game worlds in massive numbers, and we've continued to build on that over our 20-year history. The adventures within the worlds of EQ and EQII continue unabated today, and there is plenty of room for more."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/everquest-next-cancelled-it-wasnt-fun/1100-6435580/

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Not even surprised. :|

It's been vaporware pretty much since they announced it and whoever Daybreak's masters are now weren't going to let them procrastinate doing nothing like Sony did back during SOE days.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They probably forgot to develop a game to fill the time between the in-game shop sessions. Also the art style was pretty ugly. EQ was great one-and-a-half decades ago.

Alchemist

Arcane
Yeah I'm not surprised at all. Kinda glad actually - because the art style they were going for never sit well with me. I wonder what this means for Landmark? I bet all the people building stuff for EQ Next in there are pretty pissed off. I assume it will die away too.

Anyway, EQ2 is still quite playable, if you can get past the dated graphics. And for the true hardcore EQ1 fans there's always project 1999.

And Pantheon is coming down the pike... maybe.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This doesn't come as much of a surprise, really. There was no point in making a new EQ game anyway since the subs for EQ1 and 2 are hovering at good enough numbers to sustain the company and EQ Next would've most likely competed with these existing players rather than pull in new people.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I thought the impression they were giving off was that EQ Next was just fluff to attract a buyer?

Xenich

Cipher
We knew this was going to happen from day one. Any true EQ fan knew this was an insult to EQ's game concepts. Look at EQ Next footage and features, it is was retarded WoW advertisement. Everything about it was pure WoW envy and pure mainstream marketing. The game sucked from the moment it showed what it was. I know of no real EQ fans that thought it was worth a shit once they saw the footage. No real EQ players followed it. It was a WoW fuckfest from the start.

Sony knew it couldn't make shit on this once it realized how Landmark was tanking. FFS it was a horrible concept, a horrible game... it is like they had no fucking clue as to what makes a game a game. It was a marketing fist fest of idiots who had no fucking clue what a game was.

I say piss on the fucking shit, good riddance, and may all games like it die in a fucking fiery hell with the idiots they market to.

Fuck You SOE, you were told this from day one you fucking worthless shits. /spit

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not surprised it was cancelled after so long of hearing nothing (not that I was really following it). But I just watched one of those class videos above. It's like they were trying to make the Kingdoms of Amalur MMO except with the ability to dig Minecraftian holes in the ground using your abilities. So innovative.

Direwolf

Arcane
Pretty sure this was cancelled the second SOE was sold. They just didn't mention it before to prevent player butthurt.

Perkel

Arcane
Pretty sure this was cancelled the second SOE was sold. They just didn't mention it before to prevent player butthurt.

yeah this is 99% true.
When they got bought all leads resigned over time with studio head months ago.

Some people think that EQN was vaporware but i don't think it was the case here.

Simply put when they got sold all Sony money stopped flowing and their new owners probably didn't want to put milions into their mmo. Company that bought them wasn't even really any gaming company to begin with.

Xenich

Cipher
Some people think that EQN was vaporware but i don't think it was the case here.

Yeah, I don't think it was vaporware at all, just mainstream marketed crap.

EQ Next suffered the same fate of a mainstream pop band being marketed during the 90's grunge era. That is, it was doomed to failure and ridicule. I just wish all the other game makers would run along, sell off their companies and let the niche game makers continue on while the console and "common Joe" crowd go back to doing whatever the fuck they were doing before they were drawn into PC gaming. Man, I just imagine the quality that would return when all those idiots moved along.

Perkel

Arcane

What do you even talk about ? EQN from initial presentations wasn't anything like wow nor really like any other mmorpg out there.

what they tried to do :

- complete destruction of environment
- 3 "layers" of world. Overground, underground and "hellish" where each of those would be different from server to server.
- player made stuff. EQL was supposed to be builder tool and test for their engine before EQN would launch. Best works from EQL would be incorporated into EQN.
- player build cities and "radiant quests" where people would join up to make new cities etc
- group monster AI. Monsters would behave according to AI patters and would migrate creating quests and so on.
- all skills were supposed to be obtained via exploration and questing and by questing i don't mean give me 10 wood pieces. As far as presentations have gone they said numerous times that they didn't want EXP driven progression.
- full body movement unlike rest of mmos with climbing, jumping ropes etc.
- and waaay much more stuff that isn't in other mmos.

maybe you are confusing it with something else ? People were hyped about EQN because it really was looking like fresh air and "Next" wasn't just for PR.

I personally was hyped about it because it tried to fix mmos garbage design and make it more like EVE player driven sandboxy stuff. WoW is epitome of what is wrong with mmorpgs.

Xenich

Cipher

What do you even talk about ? EQN from initial presentations wasn't anything like wow nor really like any other mmorpg out there.

what they tried to do :

- complete destruction of environment
- 3 "layers" of world. Overground, underground and "hellish" where each of those would be different from server to server.
- player made stuff. EQL was supposed to be builder tool and test for their engine before EQN would launch. Best works from EQL would be incorporated into EQN.
- player build cities and "radiant quests" where people would join up to make new cities etc
- group monster AI. Monsters would behave according to AI patters and would migrate creating quests and so on.
- all skills were supposed to be obtained via exploration and questing and by questing i don't mean give me 10 wood pieces. As far as presentations have gone they said numerous times that they didn't want EXP driven progression.
- full body movement unlike rest of mmos with climbing, jumping ropes etc.
- and waaay much more stuff that isn't in other mmos.

maybe you are confusing it with something else ? People were hyped about EQN because it really was looking like fresh air and "Next" wasn't just for PR.

I personally was hyped about it because it tried to fix mmos garbage design and make it more like EVE player driven sandboxy stuff. WoW is epitome of what is wrong with mmorpgs.

It was made to look like WoW, be action focused like WoW. It had the entire WoW feel in its class presentation and play.

The "sandbox" stuff was just trying to incorporate the fad of "Minecraft" into the mix.

As for the other ideas, they weren't new, they have been conceptualized and tried in other games (UO, Horizons, etc... )

There was nothing "original" about the game. It was just a bunch of fads all packaged into a WoW look/feel riding on a previous successful name (EQ).

It failed because Smed is an idiot who tried to market the next boy band in a failing market. If you have read anything about Smed and his approach, then you would know he was all about marketing to fads. The guy should be flipping bugers, not making games.

Gerrard

Arcane
Gotta salvage this shit
http://store.steampowered.com/app/297810/

41% of 1724 user reviews are positive
nTK7DOw.png

:hero:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom