Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everspace - a rogue-like PC space shooter

i tried it.
it's an action ftl.
i can live happily without it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I put a few hours into it already. It is fun but get ready to die a lot and restart while you are leveling up your skills and learning the game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I saw some gameplay... kind of meh. Would happily play it from some bundle but nothing I would buy individually.

worse and worse, even more than a space shooter it plays like an average fps with some seriously slow turning rate.
we're never going to have another freespace.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well it is not a freespace game. It is a fun space shooter with rogue lite mechanics mixed with some FTL stuff. There is lot to learn, there is lot to get better at and it is fun.
It probably does not fit under simulation subforum but in general gaming. It also controls very slick with K&M. For a space shooter with 3 axis that is a nice achievement.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
how the fuck does one look at freelancer and think: this game needs more crappy cockpit to obstruct your view???

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The omission of cockpits for muh immersion was decline.

Proper view:

GYdIxXM.jpg

Severian Silk

Should this thread be moved to General RPG Discussion? I mean, upgrading hull is like "leveling up" strength.

:troll:

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
So I dl this shit and I have no idea how one can play this turd.
The mouse controls are so whack, in 30 years of my life I havent seen anything like it.
Either something is bugged or the sensitivity + acceleration doesnt do shit and is so completely uncontrollable, you have trouble hitting the very first tutorial targets... Da fuck?
The default controls have a wasd 3d shooter layout, with space as basically a jump and lctrl as descend, rolling is q and e, which is not needed..., the mouse is not locked to center of the cockpit but drags around it and pulls the ship with it... Da fuck?
Feels like a mortally raped Descent.
I dont think you even can remove the mouse as looksie controls, there is no option to make something like the arrow buttons move the screen.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
So I dl this shit and I have no idea how one can play this turd.
The mouse controls are so whack, in 30 years of my life I havent seen anything like it.
Either something is bugged or the sensitivity + acceleration doesnt do shit and is so completely uncontrollable, you have trouble hitting the very first tutorial targets... Da fuck?
The default controls have a wasd 3d shooter layout, with space as basically a jump and lctrl as descend, rolling is q and e, which is not needed..., the mouse is not locked to center of the cockpit but drags around it and pulls the ship with it... Da fuck?
Feels like a mortally raped Descent.
I dont think you even can remove the mouse as looksie controls, there is no option to make something like the arrow buttons move the screen.
joined 2017. i'm starting to see a pattern.
roling is needed to navigate safely inside structures. why the fuck are you complaining about mouse and cockpit??? just switch to 3rd person camera and enjoy the freelancer view and control of the ship. you can change view with v. and it's a shooter. why would you remove the mouse as the look tool?

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
Because its a space game? And Freelancer is shit?

Lol, there is no inertia in this shit either. Its literally a 3d shooter skin.
And there is most def no raw input on mouse...

edit

Oh and by the way, when I quit it, the windows wont close lel. Ram usage of it goes down to about 20mb and the process stays around. Its Shit.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Well when you press Tab and go to repair tab you will see a list of ship devices. The last one is called Inertial Dampeners. If you want inertia once this device gets blow up, don't repair it. Have fun.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

first of all, if you don't like freelancer, what makes you think this is for you?
second: there is inertia especially if the inertia dampeners of the ship get damaged. like duuhh :retarded:.
and third: what kind of moron complains about playing a shooter when playing a shooter???

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
I doesnt look like a shooter. And I dont want a shooter either.

"Option to not use system mouse position (thus disabling accelertion) will be included in the next patch."
Like, da fuck is 'system mouse position' and why would they assume that when its ON than ACCEL is ON. System implies my fucking system.

"
  • Radar Posts: 1Member
    September 2016 edited September 2016
    I have more of a problem with the pitch/yaw acceleration rates
    frowning.png

It would be good to be able to adjust those, as, at the moment, it feels like it goes from slow, to comfortable, to "Drunk doing pirouettes in a centrifuge" in a very short amount of reticule movement (regardless of mouse sensitivity settings).

Loving the look of the game, but getting frustrated at being killed before getting any cash to buy perks.

Have fun!
    Radar =8^)

• ROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 737Moderator
    ROCKFISH%20Head%20Icon%20512x512_r.png

September 2016
    It's likely that we'll rework the whole thing and make a checkbox like "use hardware mouse position" where it behaves just like in windows (as right now) with the sensitivity changing the hardware mouse and when you don't check the checkbox we'll use the hardware mouse only for navigating the menus when the mouse cursor is visible and have different movement (without acceleration) while ingame. We'll see
"
There is def some retarded fuckery going on with the mouse.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I doesnt look like a shooter. And I dont want a shooter either.

"Option to not use system mouse position (thus disabling accelertion) will be included in the next patch."
Like, da fuck is 'system mouse position' and why would they assume that when its ON than ACCEL is ON. System implies my fucking system.

"
  • Radar Posts: 1Member
    September 2016 edited September 2016
    I have more of a problem with the pitch/yaw acceleration rates
    frowning.png

It would be good to be able to adjust those, as, at the moment, it feels like it goes from slow, to comfortable, to "Drunk doing pirouettes in a centrifuge" in a very short amount of reticule movement (regardless of mouse sensitivity settings).

Loving the look of the game, but getting frustrated at being killed before getting any cash to buy perks.

Have fun!
    Radar =8^)

• ROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 737Moderator
    ROCKFISH%20Head%20Icon%20512x512_r.png

September 2016
    It's likely that we'll rework the whole thing and make a checkbox like "use hardware mouse position" where it behaves just like in windows (as right now) with the sensitivity changing the hardware mouse and when you don't check the checkbox we'll use the hardware mouse only for navigating the menus when the mouse cursor is visible and have different movement (without acceleration) while ingame. We'll see
"
There is def some retarded fuckery going on with the mouse.
there are problems with mice with many games. something very weird is going on with mice in general. you would think a mouse is something as simple and basic as a keyboard but it's not. you can setup some mice to take up like 15-25 % of a processor core. obviously there's a lot you can do wrong when that kind of processing power is needed. suppose you have a low frequency mouse but you don't want to move your hand around much, then a program will have to guess how far you want to go with one move: bam! acceleration is born. but then you buy a nice gamer mouse with high dpi and what took a move to get frome one pixel to the next with your old mouse now will take you across the fucking screen. so you don't want acceleration. you turn it off. now your high dpi mouse will sense any impurity on your mouse pad and your precision is fucked more than with a low dpi mouse with acceleration. now this is all fine and well in windows with the big icons and bars and whatnot, but in a shooter you need pixel precision. now, will the shooter design it's own mouse precision/acceleration or take it from windows? does windows provide a simple way of importing the signal into your game or not? is the windows mouse precision/acceleration even viable to begin with? should the developer of the game even bother to try to make everyone happy with all the mice out there from old ball mice to laser ones? because there's also no standard for mice. some are cheap, others are expensive as fuck, some come with an own driver and software others not.
tldr: like the devs said, they would have to rework the whole thing. and my mouse works (has its own driver and software), so what mouse do you have?

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
I have a 1khz ubergaymer mouse, with win accel fix. I konw what I am talking about.
And in this game the reticule is not a 1:1 raw input translation, on either one of the settings.
I am pretty sure it is even connected to fps...
I am getting used to it, disabled y inversion and now playing it like a 3rd person popamole... The shame...

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I have a 1khz ubergaymer mouse, with win accel fix. I konw what I am talking about.
And in this game the reticule is not a 1:1 raw input translation, on either one of the settings.
I am getting used to it, disabled y inversion and now playing it like a 3rd person popamole... The shame...
to be fair, it is a piece of popamole.
but unlike other new popamoles, this one is actually pretty good at what it does. it's an almost 1:1 copy of freelancer's combat and UI with a touch of roguelike/roguelite to motivate the combat. it can take a day or two to get bored with it and move on to wizardry 6.
it's not as big as freelancer when it comes to variety of ships and vastness of space or number of factions. it generates a pretty linear path to follow like FTL instead of a procedurally generated (open world) universe and i don't know why. possibly to hide the low amount of content. i do hope the game will change/evolve with time or another one will be made since i loved freelancer but you can only play the story so many times before it becomes boring and mmorpging it doesn't help.
there's only 7 sectors to go through and after the 7th you have to start over
there's only 11 ancient runes to unlock after which the ancient ruins basically become useless and boring
not much variety with itemization
it's basically a very small/short roguelite but a step in the right direction for space shooters if you ask me
it doesn't pretend to be a space simulator, so if you compare it to space simulators, it's your fault.

ArchAngel

Arcane
to be fair, it is a piece of popamole.
but unlike other new popamoles, this one is actually pretty good at what it does. it's an almost 1:1 copy of freelancer's combat and UI with a touch of roguelike/roguelite to motivate the combat. it can take a day or two to get bored with it and move on to wizardry 6.
it's not as big as freelancer when it comes to variety of ships and vastness of space or number of factions. it generates a pretty linear path to follow like FTL instead of a procedurally generated (open world) universe and i don't know why. possibly to hide the low amount of content. i do hope the game will change/evolve with time or another one will be made since i loved freelancer but you can only play the story so many times before it becomes boring and mmorpging it doesn't help.
there's only 7 sectors to go through and after the 7th you have to start over
there's only 11 ancient runes to unlock after which the ancient ruins basically become useless and boring
not much variety with itemization
it's basically a very small/short roguelite but a step in the right direction for space shooters if you ask me
it doesn't pretend to be a space simulator, so if you compare it to space simulators, it's your fault.
And with all that I put 40+ hours into it which is more than enough. In that time I finished the main story (which involves reaching Sector 7 about 4-5 times), collected all blueprints, most of the glyphs and subroutine, unlocked all ships, upgraded 2 out of 3 almost to max and 3rd about half way.

I had very good time while doing it. And now that the game has started becoming a bit stale it is done and it is not overstaying its welcome. Similar to how Rebel Galaxy felt.

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
Damn, the grind. You warp in, 3 Okarsomething Fighters drop on you. Now fly around looking for scrap and nanobots... Afterwards you buy 1/4 of an upgrade and repeat... Lolno.

Rather I am gonna try to like Freelancer...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom