Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everyone says it is shit...but I liked it!

The item stacking is a great idea that I'd like to see more often, even if just in a similar form. It turns what is usually a disappointment ("another silver sword? I already have one of those") into good news ("another silver sword? Sweet, I can use it to improve this one").

FUDU

Arcane
The item stacking is a great idea that I'd like to see more often, even if just in a similar form. It turns what is usually a disappointment ("another silver sword? I already have one of those") into good news ("another silver sword? Sweet, I can use it to improve this one").

Was totally addicted to the item stacking. I was like a junky.

bananaBaboon

Novice
Alpha Protocol :oops: - (it's rough, but I liked the conversations. And once you get the hang of it, the gameplay is not so bad afterall, except for the hacking mini-game, that was terrible.)
Throne of Darkness

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Unreal Tournament 3. Sure, you couldn't run it on your toaster but the game itself wasn't as bad as people claimed.
Dragon Age 2. I completed it seven three times. I agree the game wasn't much of an RPG but that combat was just too much fun (except boring boss fights).

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
The Thief games. All of them.

ALL OF THEM!!
rage.gif

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Drakengard 1 and 3 would be "below average" if there was an objective standard for videogames, but I still like them.
I don't really know why, I guess it's just how unconventional it is and how I get to relive my fantasies. I actually like the Drakengard 1 OST
The story won't win any awards, but it definitely is one-of-a-kind.
NieR is actually a good game on its own, and is guaranteed to make you sad.
Even though Drakengard 1 and 3 are shit, I'd still tell anyone to give it a shot regardless. I can understand why one would dislike it, but sometimes it just "clicks" and you are curious to find out more about the crazy journey of a mass-murdering mute psychopath, cannibal elf mother, pedophile, racist dragon and priest, and an annoying runt.
If you've read Berserk, then you'll probably like Drakengard 3. You'll see why.

Alfons

Prophet
Drakengard 1 and 3 would be "below average" if there was an objective standard for videogames, but I still like them.
I don't really know why, I guess it's just how unconventional it is and how I get to relive my fantasies. I actually like the Drakengard 1 OST
Even though Drakengard 1 and 3 are shit, I'd still tell anyone to give it a shot regardless. I can understand why one would dislike it, but sometimes it just "clicks" and you are curious to find out more about the crazy journey of a mass-murdering mute psychopath, cannibal elf mother, pedophile, racist dragon and priest, and an annoying runt.
I thought about trying Drakengard but suffering 10-20 minutes of Dynasty Warriors between story snippets is too much. I'll never play these games but I like berserk, so can you elaborate on the last sentence'?

pippin

Alpha Protocol :oops: - (it's rough, but I liked the conversations. And once you get the hang of it, the gameplay is not so bad afterall, except for the hacking mini-game, that was terrible.)

The hacking minigame is seriously bad and it's bugging me a lot. The dialogues are as good as always when it comes to Obsidian, but the dialogue wheel system will never not suck. I wanted my guy to say something like "I don't care about this" but he ended up saying "I don't care about your bullshit, and please never bother me again". I liked the timed responses, though.

The Thief games. All of them.

ALL OF THEM!!

There are only 3 Thief games, and while the third is not as good as 1 or 2, it's still nice. I don't see a problem with this.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The hacking minigame is seriously bad and it's bugging me a lot. The dialogues are as good as always when it comes to Obsidian, but the dialogue wheel system will never not suck. I wanted my guy to say something like "I don't care about this" but he ended up saying "I don't care about your bullshit, and please never bother me again". I liked the timed responses, though.
Keep in mind AP dialog options are not about content but tone. That's all that matters.

borderlands - its fun so sue me

two worlds 1 and 2 - prefer 1 tbh but 2 has a absolutely fantastic magic and crafting system

oblivion - love the music and this game basically got me back into video games. yes, i know its poo but what are you going to do

sins of a solar empire - vasari plus returning armada equals win

pippin

Keep in mind AP dialog options are not about content but tone. That's all that matters.

Yes, but the delivery was more aggressive than what the keyword suggested. It's not bothering as much as the hacking stuff though.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I thought about trying Drakengard but suffering 10-20 minutes of Dynasty Warriors between story snippets is too much. I'll never play these games but I like berserk, so can you elaborate on the last sentence'?
There is a suprising lot of similarities betweeen the protag of Drakengard 3 and Guts. One eye, robot arm, raped in her childhood, kills everything without remorse, is on a quest to kill some bunch of dudes without the player knowing the reasons behind it. While Guts looked like an edgy asshole in the first Arc, the Golden Age arc described his past and fleshed out his character alot. Zero (protagonist of D3), only has some character development past the first ending (there are multiple), so you'll be replaying some parts of the game to get to the different branches.
Zero could be practically seen as femGuts, she even amasses a party of misfits to go on her journey (or in reality, she steals them).
Do note that the framerate is drek.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, I'll just say I finished Descent to Undermountain about 3 times. Underneath it all, there actually was some good stuff and strong RPG mechanics. The hate was earned, but felt guilty because it could have been awesome.

I enjoyed quite a bit of Two Worlds 2 until I came on here and discovered the game is shit. I continued enjoying myself anyhow.

Baldur's Gate 1. It appears it's now shit, proving again that people cannot grasp context. I'll still continue to play it until I die.

To get off RPGs, I liked Dead Island enough to finish it and play some multiplayer. Really liked an "in the sun" Australian FPS. Was good enough.

nomask7

Arcane
I'm having more fun with Two Worlds than I'd care to admit. I'm about 6-7 hours into it and it was pretty obvious right from the start that it is a shit-to-mediocre game. Clunky combat, ridiculously bad writing and voice acting, a basic and not very well thought out character system. But somehow it has kept me interested so far. Going melee on hard it sometimes even manages to kick me in the balls, at least in the earlier stages of the game. I'm guessing that once I get alchemy maxed and start brewing permanent bonus shit all kicking of my ass will be gone. The item stacking feels really barebones, but still manages to be pretty addicting. Could work really nicely in a Diablo clone if expanded on.

If you focus on the positive aspects rather than the negative, you may realise there aren't that many games of this type that can compete with Two Worlds.

1) You have complete freedom from the beginning. No hour long tutorial or closed off areas or continents. You can easily go anywhere right after the first short battle. People don't seem to appreciate this sort of thing enough. You can be pretty sure if a game has this design, it's at least not a total money-grab made by a committee of suits. It takes balls to just throw the player into the game and let them figure things out on their own these days.

2) The world feels geographically well designed. Contrast this with games like Sacred 2 that have a lot of area design reminiscent of corridors and don't really feel particularly "open world" as a result (even though strictly speaking they are).

3) Whatever you say about the skill system, it's fun in a way that other systems usually aren't, because they've been so expertly "balanced" and "perfected" that you never have the chance to discover some great way to make your character unusually powerful - you're stuck doing the same thing everybody else is doing, which is "becoming gradually better in a predictable lame fashion". Balance doesn't belong to open world games anyway.

4) I still haven't figured out how the level-scaling works in this game, but it seems to be a lot better handled than in Oblivion. The only time it may bother you is with the bandits, who do seem to get better equipment pretty regularly just so they can keep up with you. At some point you realise killing a group of bandits is like robbing a bank - it's fun and lucrative but you can't really claim it's the most intellectual of ways to gather money. Other than that though, the game is pretty good at giving you variety and challenge and pain if you venture too deep into the wrong kinds of place as a low level character. And some truly badass monsters are always going to be higher level than you. You're not going to squash dragons like flies in this game nor even be able to fight them in a fair battle no matter what your character level or equipment. I'm not saying that's necessarily better or worse than other systems, but it works and is different than usual.

5) You can speed up the gameplay with a console command, making the game harder as well as less time-consuming. After typing "twoworldscheats 1" just type gamerate XX where x is the speed you are fine with. 50 seems to about double the speed. I've used even higher speeds than that. You may also want to decrease the amount of night time via console. Write the following in a text file, call the text file day, and put the text file in the game directory: EC.SetDayLength 360 43 213 (then write @day.txt in the console). Those numbers should be OK, but you can vary them to get a different day-night cycle. I seem to be using this currently: 540 6 249 (looks like almost no night with this one). You only have to set these parameters once per play through. I'm also pretty sure you want to make the grass disappear further away from the player. Again, make a text file:

// Grass fading near the player
Engine.GFadeNear 3000

// Grass fading far from the player
Engine.GFadeFar 3000

Then call that file via console.

6) The equipment system had the usual flaw of level and stat restrictions being used. The loot system is still one of the better ones in action RPGs and Diablo-clones. I liked the same feature some others have commented on (stacking), and since it was a feature unique to this game, you gotta give it some points for that. If someone knows of a mod (or can make one), to get rid of level and stat restrictions, lemme know.

7) If you force yourself to play iron man games, it's actually an exciting game when using a higher game-speed. That's of course a sum of many parts, one which I haven't mentioned being the game's non-linear main quest and a good number of optional quests and dungeons providing variety for different playthroughs and different approaches.

8) Combat system is laughably simple but it does work just well enough so that the elements of the game that are strong get to shine. The focus on player skill in addition to character strength means there's more freedom re where you can go and what you can do without obscene amounts of level scaling.

9) Lots of monsters in the PC version. So many games (Dark Souls, Gothic, Oblivion) focus on having individual monsters or small groups. In Two Worlds you can find actual hordes of necromancers, zombies, and other monsters, not just a few here and there.

10) You almost never have to fight, you can just avoid monsters instead, though not always without some danger involved. You realise it's a strategy in the serpent temple if not before, because the serpents there are truly dangerous motherfuckers. It's probably the highpoint of the game with its atmosphere and perfectly designed hide-and-seek layout.

11) And the game did have a truly varied world map, with a variety of truly different monsters found in different places and environmental variety (contrast with Morrowind again).

12) Main quest doesn't really get in your way, even if it's all you're solving. It's nothing to write home about, but it's also nothing to write consumer protection organisations about.

At the end of the day, the game got a lot of things right that mattered, where many other games of its type did something retarded or annoying or spoiled an important aspect of their game. Many complain about the dialogue, but they only compain about it because they couldn't think of anything of importance to complain about. And I like over-the-top seriousness more anyway than spoiling a game like this by making it light-hearted and humorous.

Marobug

Hellgate London
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Master Of Orion 3
Duke Nukem Forever
Divinity 2
Kingdoms of Amalur
Warlords IV
Diablo III
Mars War Logs
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

I'm serious. Am I banned ?

Most every game the 47-year-old virgins on this board whine about I end up enjoying. I liked that Tomb Raider reboot 'cause it was slick and straight to the point, I liked Bioshock Infinite 'cause it was ambitious, I liked Oblivion 'cause the game asks you to sink hours and hours into it 'til you can finally stun an enemy with your sword.

Assassin's Creed, though. Assassin's Creed is fucking shit.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Assassin's Creed became a caricature of its former self, while Ubisoft slowly becomes second EA games. Tomb Raider was medicore at best and had a dreadful storyline. B: Infinite was gud, but not nearly as good as the first one.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Duke Nukem Forever is the worst I can think of that I actually enjoyed. It was worth playing after waiting 15 years or so.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Hellgate: London. Couldn't make myself stop playing this crap when it came out. Can't really say why.

It's basically single-player MMO and almost everything about it is worthless.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well it had pretty kewl armor and that black hair chick in the start VO was alright. I believe I got a Blademaster to the end and couldn't stop laughing at the terrible plot.

There was that nice mod that came out years later... expanded the games content by like 10*.
834987-927136_20071031_001.jpg

Good times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom