Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everyone says it is shit...but I liked it!

DraQ

Arcane
All your defenses rely on ignoring all the dumbfuckery in Skyrim and highlighting the stuff that's subject to personal taste.
  • Adherence to preexisting lore isn't matter of personal taste.
  • Location diversity isn't matter of personal taste and can be verified easily by for example showing players screenshots from different places to identify
  • Bandits not wearing incredibly rare, high-level armors like daedric or glass because level scaling aren't matter of personal taste.
  • Less overt scaling in general isn't matter of personal taste - Skyrim seems to adopt a mostly Daggerfallesque model
  • Structured rather than unstructured gameworld isn't matter of personal taste:
    • demographics - large minorities that are mostly segregated, with plausible reasons and to exist within gameworld - Thalmor, Reachmen, Dunmer refugees, Khajiit trading caravans, Argonian dock workers, stronghold Orcs.
    • gear types that are mostly restricted to particular groups - like elven and glass to Thalmor
    • landmarks and structured exteriors - fortified bandit camps, forsworn redoubts, ruins with extensive exteriors and sometimes multiple clustered dungeons/dungeon entrances
    • distinct geographical features rather than large bowl with forest inside and lake in the middle
    • Blackreach
    • quests tend to tie into stuff rather than just float in the vacuum
  • Combat system is shit in both, but Skyrim is less bloaty (IIRC) and features usable power attacks plus bashes in addition to having nice wielding system, so it's better.
  • Skyrim features some actual choices rather than "do it" and "do it later", again, this isn't matter of personal taste regardless of impact of those choices.
  • Art direction may be subject to personal taste, but Skyrim VS Oblivion is a rather clear cut case.
  • Selectable perks, build divergence and elimination of degenerate character building are facts.
  • Use of physics in gameplay is clear advantage over having physics engine but using it to a much lesser degree than Daggerfall.
  • Exploration and presence of hidden, out of reach treasures beats lack of exploration, even if hidden stuff is mostly random (thanks to high level armors remaining rare).
  • Random encounters beyond getting attacked by X and generic reactivity (having thugs sent after you if you cross someone, provoking infighting with loot, being challenged to a wizard duel once your magic skill is good enough, getting inheritance from a dead NPC that liked your character a lot, or thanks from an enemy of character you killed etc.) are better than lack of thereof.
  • Having not just touch, self, projectile and AoE projectile spells, but also continuous streams, runes, walls and AoE around self, in addition to new effects such as detect dead or ward and more interesting necromancy beats spellmaker that has been already so nerfed it's impossible to make anything interesting in it.
What are those things that are subject to personal taste you're talking about?

It had attributes that did something
No. Morrowind had attributes that did something. Daggerfall had attributes that did something. Oblivion had attributes that duplicated skill functionality. Cutting out the redundancy was overall an incline,
even though backtracking towards meaningful attributes would have (obviously) been vastly preferable.

it didn't have dragons
It also didn't have cliffracers - best sequel ever.
:hearnoevil:
It did, however, have oblivion gates popping out everywhere and leading player into the same seven dungeons over and over again.

it treated the player a little less like a total retard
Did it?
How are walkthrough popups at every step that you need to click away to continue, completely linear questlines forcing an idiot ball up your ass or absolutely inane dialogues
I understand he'll teach others to pick locks. If everyone knew how, we wouldn't have to carry around so many keys.
part of not treating player like a total retard?

it didn't have a disgusting washed out colour palette
No, it had a nausea inducing oversaturated one, in addition to awful use of GFX gimmicks.

most of the graphics were an improvement over Morrowind (I said most, shut up)
In purely technical sense at best:
m2.jpg

2561_the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-ps3-preview-20070207050433023.jpg
Skyrim, OTOH:
800px-SR-place-Hjaalmarch.jpg

Solitude-Marsh-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-28219150-1280-720.jpg

it had better music than Skyrim
All your defenses rely on ignoring all the dumbfuckery in Skyrim and highlighting the stuff that's subject to personal taste.
Pot, kettle, black.
:M

Villagkouras

Arcane
Parasite Eve & The Grandstream Saga on Playstation.

Στάλθηκε από το OnePlus One μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
What the fuck is wrong with this tread? It should be called "critically acclaimed games that I didn't hate (but should have since they are not RPG Codex approved classics)". How are Parasite Eve, Rapelay, E.Y.E, Bloodrayne, Far Cry 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Fallout Tactics, VTM: Redemption, Doom 3, Pray, Max Payne 3, RE5, AoE 3, Arcanum, Dungeon Siege 2 and Gabriel Knight 2 universally hated? Are you people on drugs or something?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The games I liked and...

...noone likes:
-Duke Nukem Reboot
-Deus Ex IW

...codex doesn't like:
-Fallout 3
-Skyrim
-Dragon Age Origins

Yes yes I know. Just give me the stupid tag already.

Siveon

Bot
The games I liked and...

...noone likes:
-Duke Nukem Reboot
-Deus Ex IW

...codex doesn't like:
-Fallout 3
-Skyrim
-Dragon Age Origins

Yes yes I know. Just give me the stupid tag already.

You failed your Codex history check. You do know that Dragon Age Origins is in the Top 70 list, right? Yeah there's a good amount of people that don't like it, but it's not a full-on hate boner like Fallout 3 or Skyrim.

And Duke Nukem Forever isn't a reboot.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
You failed your Codex history check. You do know that Dragon Age Origins is in the Top 70 list, right? Yeah there's a good amount of people that don't like it, but it's not a full-on hate boner like Fallout 3 or Skyrim.

:retarded: you're right with DAO. That makes me wonder - Was the actual vote manipulated by a bunch of Bioware fanboys or is the codex just populated by a good amount of hypocrites?

As for Duke Nukem, you're right too, I just couldn't remember the exact title.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Well, hopefully, since DA:O is much better than Divinity 2.

pippin

I don't know if there are actual Bioware fanboys other than the usual suspects in the Codex, but I've noticed that discussions about Bethesda games tend to be much more heated than discussions about Bioware games. I might be wrong, but you can make of that what you will.

Cadmus

Arcane
  • Adherence to preexisting lore isn't matter of personal taste.
  • Location diversity isn't matter of personal taste and can be verified easily by for example showing players screenshots from different places to identify
  • Bandits not wearing incredibly rare, high-level armors like daedric or glass because level scaling aren't matter of personal taste.
  • Less overt scaling in general isn't matter of personal taste - Skyrim seems to adopt a mostly Daggerfallesque model
  • Structured rather than unstructured gameworld isn't matter of personal taste:
    • demographics - large minorities that are mostly segregated, with plausible reasons and to exist within gameworld - Thalmor, Reachmen, Dunmer refugees, Khajiit trading caravans, Argonian dock workers, stronghold Orcs.
    • gear types that are mostly restricted to particular groups - like elven and glass to Thalmor
    • landmarks and structured exteriors - fortified bandit camps, forsworn redoubts, ruins with extensive exteriors and sometimes multiple clustered dungeons/dungeon entrances
    • distinct geographical features rather than large bowl with forest inside and lake in the middle
    • Blackreach
    • quests tend to tie into stuff rather than just float in the vacuum
  • Combat system is shit in both, but Skyrim is less bloaty (IIRC) and features usable power attacks plus bashes in addition to having nice wielding system, so it's better.
  • Skyrim features some actual choices rather than "do it" and "do it later", again, this isn't matter of personal taste regardless of impact of those choices.
  • Art direction may be subject to personal taste, but Skyrim VS Oblivion is a rather clear cut case.
  • Selectable perks, build divergence and elimination of degenerate character building are facts.
  • Use of physics in gameplay is clear advantage over having physics engine but using it to a much lesser degree than Daggerfall.
  • Exploration and presence of hidden, out of reach treasures beats lack of exploration, even if hidden stuff is mostly random (thanks to high level armors remaining rare).
  • Random encounters beyond getting attacked by X and generic reactivity (having thugs sent after you if you cross someone, provoking infighting with loot, being challenged to a wizard duel once your magic skill is good enough, getting inheritance from a dead NPC that liked your character a lot, or thanks from an enemy of character you killed etc.) are better than lack of thereof.
  • Having not just touch, self, projectile and AoE projectile spells, but also continuous streams, runes, walls and AoE around self, in addition to new effects such as detect dead or ward and more interesting necromancy beats spellmaker that has been already so nerfed it's impossible to make anything interesting in it.
What are those things that are subject to personal taste you're talking about?

It had attributes that did something
No. Morrowind had attributes that did something. Daggerfall had attributes that did something. Oblivion had attributes that duplicated skill functionality. Cutting out the redundancy was overall an incline,
even though backtracking towards meaningful attributes would have (obviously) been vastly preferable.

it didn't have dragons
It also didn't have cliffracers - best sequel ever.
:hearnoevil:
It did, however, have oblivion gates popping out everywhere and leading player into the same seven dungeons over and over again.

it treated the player a little less like a total retard
Did it?
How are walkthrough popups at every step that you need to click away to continue, completely linear questlines forcing an idiot ball up your ass or absolutely inane dialogues
I understand he'll teach others to pick locks. If everyone knew how, we wouldn't have to carry around so many keys.
part of not treating player like a total retard?

it didn't have a disgusting washed out colour palette
No, it had a nausea inducing oversaturated one, in addition to awful use of GFX gimmicks.

most of the graphics were an improvement over Morrowind (I said most, shut up)
In purely technical sense at best:
m2.jpg

2561_the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-ps3-preview-20070207050433023.jpg
Skyrim, OTOH:
800px-SR-place-Hjaalmarch.jpg

Solitude-Marsh-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-28219150-1280-720.jpg

it had better music than Skyrim
Pot, kettle, black.
I guess you are right. Skyrim is still shit and not good for what it is.

Borelli

Arcane
Xen levels in Half Life 1. Exploring the alien world is a part of that game's story and everytime i see someone saying things like "i would love to replay HL1 but i won't because of Xen" i just shake my head.
There was nothing frustrating about the platforming parts for me. Ok, it was a slightly different gameplay mechanic than you are used to in FPS but you just spent the whole game doing actiony stuff
so your reflexes should be on top of your game to handle a couple of platforming sections.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

:retarded: you're right with DAO. That makes me wonder - Was the actual vote manipulated by a bunch of Bioware fanboys or is the codex just populated by a good amount of hypocrites?

As for Duke Nukem, you're right too, I just couldn't remember the exact title.
Neither, it's a divisive game. Has fans and detractors.

Cadmus

Arcane
Skyrim is still shit and not good for what it is.
Big words for someone who enjoyed Oblivion.
Personal tastes change and evolve over time, just as you will grow into a bald ugly chicken sniffing for worms around the yard.+M
They also say that the newest converts are the most extreme ones but I just got tired of the same shit.

Counter Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes. I had the Half Life mega set (with Blue Shift, Opposing Force, Team Fortress Classic, and CounterStrike discs), and I heard bad things about CZ, but I was so curious, and I like me some strike of the counters. I always thought the Half Life games would be better with CS weapons. Particularly HL2, because I really dislike weapons with cones of fire for recoil. A CS or Day of Defeat based recoil system would have been way better. Anyway, fast forward many years, and I realized it was the only CS game I didn't own. After staring at the Steam page for awhile, I bought it on sale for $2.50 and fired the beast up.

OK, so the scripting is kinda bad, the story... is non-existent? There are basically a series of missions that aren't super related. It all feels glitchy and buggy, the maps are pretty linear... the AI isn't anything to write home about. The whole thing feels kinda half assed. However, the gun mechanics feel great and it's a challenging game, so it still feels good when you roll through an area head shotting terrorists with the deagle. I like the graphics. I didn't finish all the missions, because they get pretty similar after awhile, so after a 3 hours I called it good and uninstalled it. But... I kinda liked it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom