Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everyone says it is shit...but I liked it!

buzz

Arcane
Didn't it win more or less by default?
It won by default of the article being written by a lazy bum

On a personal note, as with all the other RPGs mentioned so far, Dragon Age has something similar for me. That is, I haven't played it. Any of them. Rather strange for someone who pretends to be running an RPG website (In my defence, it doesn't help that they release these things all at the same time at the end of the year and that I have a habit of picking up games a few years after their release - Fallout 3 & Mass Effect, here I come). No, instead, I was doing something else with my time...

Technically speaking, the 2009 RPGOTY was Haven&Hearth because that's the only thing being discussed in the article with actual experience.

But if you check similar threads at the time, DAO didn't actually get that much of praise (nothing special). It was actually a pretty good year for RPGs at the time, considering the times: Risen, Div II, KotC, Drakensang TDE, Geneforge 5, even Mysteries of Westgate was pretty decent. On the console front there was Dark Spire, SMT Strange Journey and Demon's Souls.

What the fuck is wrong with this tread? It should be called "critically acclaimed games that I didn't hate (but should have since they are not RPG Codex approved classics)". How are Parasite Eve, Rapelay, E.Y.E, Bloodrayne, Far Cry 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Fallout Tactics, VTM: Redemption, Doom 3, Pray, Max Payne 3, RE5, AoE 3, Arcanum, Dungeon Siege 2 and Gabriel Knight 2 universally hated?

Exactly. My List:

Last Rites - excellent sprite-based fpp shooter with zombies and AI controlled teammates, extremely gory and fun - basically it was single player only pre-Left for Dead. Released only in Europe in 1997 it got only mid-to-low scores, at least in polish gaming press but I consider it a must play for Build engine games fans. Not as good as Duke/Blood/S.Warrior but much better than e.g. Redneck Rampage.

lr-009.png
pc-44000-81341074801.png

Eat This - clone of Abuse with meaty & satisfying gunplay.

65819-EatThis.jpg
69900-EatThis.jpg

Xenophage - Mortal Kombat rip off with really unique, disgusting monster design. A bit too clunky but still - fun! AFAIR its shareware was on DN3D Atomic Edition CD.

xpshot7.gif
xenophage.gif

Prey for Death - another MK clone for PC with auto-combo system from Killer Instinct. An afterlife tournament of fallen souls and forgotten deities like Bruce Lee (!), Cthulhu, medieval necromancer, Anubis etc.

prayjf3.jpg
68985-PrayforDeath.jpg

I also have soft spot for all these pirate NES ports of Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, King of Fighters etc.

DramaticPopcorn

TES: Redguard and TES: Battlespire.

Both games are universally regarded as shit due to their buggynes but I've enjoyed both immensely.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Primal Rage for it's gorilla farting goodness. Also Sniper - the game made in potato land which was so bad that it actually couldn't be finished 90% of the time because of a last level door bug.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
What the fuck is wrong with this tread? It should be called "critically acclaimed games that I didn't hate (but should have since they are not RPG Codex approved classics)". How are Parasite Eve, Rapelay, E.Y.E, Bloodrayne, Far Cry 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Fallout Tactics, VTM: Redemption, Doom 3, Pray, Max Payne 3, RE5, AoE 3, Arcanum, Dungeon Siege 2 and Gabriel Knight 2 universally hated? Are you people on drugs or something?

I rarely see anyone claiming Bloodrayne was good.
My data may have been insufficient.

Primal Rage for it's gorilla farting goodness. Also Sniper - the game made in potato land which was so bad that it actually couldn't be finished 90% of the time because of a last level door bug.

Really? I thought Primal rage was quite well received. I played a bit of it back in the day.

Last edited:

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Pool of Radiance - Ruins of Myth Drannor

Never saw any of the crazy bugs people talked about, the best collectors edition box I *ever* received and while it was a bit too slow I liked the atmosphere and the "don't fuck this up" feeling some of the battles gave.

And the soundtrack was pretty good too.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I enjoyed Dungeon Lords. I didn't play it when it was released so I'm unsure if there were truly game crippling bugs, but I thought it was a comfortably mediocre game. One of my favorite things in it was the nice amount of classes and class based quests that would lead to class advancements.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I agree that some elements are really cool (dung crawling, tsk) like traps system. Still better than Gothic3 in terms of combat and else.
But just like Morrowind or Larian games - once I drop them for day or two (to play something else or nothing at all) I have problem with coming back, usually end with uninstall.exe weeks later.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So first of all, Gabriel Knight 2 and properly patched Gothic 3 are both absolutely fantastic games. The shit engine in G3 and awkward FMVs in GK2 are nowhere near enough to knock them down.

Can sympathize with choring through Disciples 3 though. Did it some time ago and it was a strange form of masochism. Sunk about 100 hours into this until, two campaign maps before the end, I came across the worst designed boss in the history of videogames who basically two shot my beefed up elite army - every single fucking time. Couldn't go past him so fuck it, "Delete Local Content", thanxbi. And nothing of value was lost.

Also many people say Don't Starve is shit but actually in the current state it's one of the best open-world survival games ever. It's just a shitton of people sampled it in the Early Access where it was, in fact, shit. So first impression was formed and in this day and age first impression is everything. Can't say it often enough - EA is eevil.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Unreal 2 was a good shooter, had great vaerity of levels, good visuals and some good weapons.
Oblivion im sure was enjoyed by many, including me. It has many flaws when you sit and think about it, but you can enjoy the game regardless.
Skyrim, nothing needs to be said really, improvement over Oblivion in many areas, great as an action game with RPG elements.
Fallout 3, had good atmosphere and nice exploration.
Colonial Marines, good levels design and atmosphere, plus it was nice to play some Call of Duty with Aliens. The previous AvP games were trying to be scary.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
- Lots of Tomb Raider games: I think Underworld is one of the most underrated games of all times, it's so fucking great and yet people think it's mediocre at best (mostly shit). TR3 and 4 are forgotten gems and sometimes people only remember them to bitch about and say that 2 was much better.

Underworld is the best of the new TR games (apart from Anniversary but that is unfair since it just remakes the great first game), and TR 4 is my absolute favourite of the classics. I wasn't aware that Underworld was considered bad or even mediocre, but then I don't read forums other than the Codex so I wouldn't know how it was recieved by the mainstream.
I find it strange that TR 4 is one of the least well-regarded of the classic games, though. Yeah, I get the criticism - fourth game in a row using the same engine, not much new just basically more of the same, less setting variation since it's set entirely in Egypt rather than all over the world (this gives it much more coherence though, leads to a better story than fetch-four-Mc-Guffins and the different levels have enough visual and thematic variation in them for it to not get boring). It does have some of the best puzzles, visually most beautifully designed areas, and most memorable level design of the entire series though. In my opinion, the best TR of them all.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Unreal 2 was a good shooter, had great vaerity of levels, good visuals and some good weapons.
Oblivion im sure was enjoyed by many, including me. It has many flaws when you sit and think about it, but you can enjoy the game regardless.
Skyrim, nothing needs to be said really, improvement over Oblivion in many areas, great as an action game with RPG elements.
Fallout 3, had good atmosphere and nice exploration.
Colonial Marines, good levels design and atmosphere, plus it was nice to play some Call of Duty with Aliens. The previous AvP games were trying to be scary.
risitasgif.gif~c200

DraQ

Arcane

DraQ
What an addled thing to say.
:smug:

Ok, I can give it *some* good weapons and some nice environments (the levels were boring corridors, though), but pretty much everything else about the game was irredeemably shit.
And Skyrim did indeed make TES resurface from the swirling abyss of raw sewage Oblivion plunged it into (it's kind of complicated as Oblivion both did the plunging and was the abyss) - unmodded it's at least passable, modded it can be very good.

Gozma

Arcane
I like Civ 5 with BNW. I had the approved, "This is so boring. 1UPT is garbage" reaction to the G&K version but I eventually got BNW when a steam sale made it like three bucks and I thought I've played approximately a hundred thousand hours of Civ in my life, what's the chance this is not worth a little play? And it's pretty good - and largely not through board game elegance which is what Firaxis poses as attempting these days, but with grubby complexity and minutiae. I think I'll get Beyond Earth too when it's cheap and my civ refractory period has abated.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah this game was so fucking great, actually the first four TR games are amazing and more and more I feel they're being forgotten or considered shitty action games that tried to appeal to male teens with bewbs and guns, which is just stupid. I've been seeing this around all the time as if they weren't actually great puzzle platformers with quite complex level and puzzle design. Hell TR3 had a lot of levels that could take like 3 hours to finish and were superb. I remember the second or third level on that game being already incredibly complicated and filled with crazy shit to solve and mini bosses that would fuck you with 3 hits.

Then nowadays you see people saying how TR2 was the last great classic Tomb Raider followed only by Anniversary many years later. Fuck those people.

Yeah, it's fucking weird. When I started TR4 I expected a mediocre sequel because of its reputation. And then I had huge amounts of fun with it starting right from the first level. At about halfway point I thought, what the fuck were those people smoking because I just played through some of the best, largest and most complex TR levels I've ever seen. And the claim that it had no variation because it was set only in Egypt rather than all over the world is utter bullshit too, the levels are fucking diverse and memorable (I still remember the tombs of Seth in the beginning, with their gloomy atmosphere and that fire-jumping puzzle thingie, the tomb of Semerkhet had some really great puzzles, the Alexandria levels had a nice hellenistic flair that felt different to the rest of the game, Cleopatra's Palaces had some very nice visual design to them, Cairo was pretty unique too, and the final levels in Giza had some memorable puzzles).

And, fuck, that level design was just lovely. How can anyone who likes TR not love TR4?
The next sequel, Chronicles, was indeed a letdown though, but The Last Revelation was fucking excellent.

Darkest of Days, FPS with time travel. Generally poor ratings, ending is a sequel hook that leaves you with a terminal case of blue balls. The "essential" mecahnic is interesting, there are some enemies that are in some way important for history and need to survive the battle, so you have to wound or avoid them, killing those can cause the mission to fail or spawn overpowered enemies from a rival agency. Fun weapons, even though the best ones are used in setpieces or short stints, where you massacre a shit ton of enemy soldiers with ass-raping weapons from the future to tip the balance of a battle one way or the other. There's even a point where you kill way too many enemies with a laser mortar during the American civil war and risk altering the course of history unless you betray your side without them noticing. Your future self gets stuck in a Nazi concentration camp and need to orchestrate your escape from the past. The final level occurs in Pompeii durting Mt. Vesuvius' eruption and both agencies are duking it out in the middle of confused as fuck romans who think the gods have descended upon Earth for an epic world-ending battle and you get a gun that shoots sun rays and it's awesum

What the fuck is wrong with this tread? It should be called "critically acclaimed games that I didn't hate (but should have since they are not RPG Codex approved classics)". How are Parasite Eve, Rapelay, E.Y.E, Bloodrayne, Far Cry 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Fallout Tactics, VTM: Redemption, Doom 3, Pray, Max Payne 3, RE5, AoE 3, Arcanum, Dungeon Siege 2 and Gabriel Knight 2 universally hated? Are you people on drugs or something?

The people mentioning AAA popamoles also forget that Codex is not "everyone".

fallout 3

colonial marines

I think I'm going to be sick.

This thread is a Safe Space, a judgement free zone. Fuck off, bully.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

It's not a bad game, but Hexen 2 takes shit from a big number fans of the original game for some reason.

Anyway, first thing that I've noticed - the game looks amazing. I'd play a full-fledged RPG developed using this engine even today.
Second - it poses enough challenge to keep you entertained. Puzzles can give you a bit of frustration from time to time, but it's one of these features that made Hexen memorable.
Third - partially destructive environment. Most objects can be easily destroyed and it adds a lot to the puzzles.
Fourth - great atmosphere and combat. Levels are well-designed and allow to combine rather fast-paced action and puzzle solving.

My only complaint is one of the puzzles, where a hidden button wouldn't appear until you read the message about it (IIRC).

Kraszu

Prophet
Patched Gothic 3, doing quests in the way that gives you the most reward from all factions is fun, the reputation system of factions is best that was ever created, the game also offers allot of freedom in how you solve problems I like how the game was build there is few things that you need to complete the game, and few locations that you need to visit, you are free to ignore as much of the rest as you like (other then for gathering info if you play for the first time) I wish that there would be more crpg games with this approach in games like Skyrim you are free to go where you are but that freedom is pointless since you don't actually archive anything freedom is only interesting if you can use it to archive some end goal imo. (progressive world like in space rangers 2 would make it even more interesting)

It also has a good exploration where you actually need to find staff not follow an arrow. The fighting system is also ok after community patches, it is standard timing based combat you need to stay away from few weapons that have horrible very slow animations but other then that it is much better then in many other arpg.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yep, G3 is probably the most open RPG sandbox I've ever seen. It's a genuine tragedy the way it has earned - and kept - its reputation.

Mustawd

I genuinely liked Final Fantasy X and still do. :oops:

Aye. That was a good ga...err..movie.

Also, add AVP Gold to that. Such a bad FPS, but played the shit out of multiplayer. Something about playing with two other marines in the dark with flares, looking for a predator, that made it addicting.

Then realized most people can't into teamwork back then and rage quit after my 1000 massacre by a Predator.

Ahhh...the good ol' days of hours of uninterrupted time....

Xathrodox86

Arbiter

I rarely see anyone claiming Bloodrayne was good.
My data may have been insufficient.

Really? I thought Primal rage was quite well received. I played a bit of it back in the day.

it was made back in the days when everyone were trying to mimick Mortal Kombat. Usually with mixed results. I've played PR as a kid, and while quite fun it got tedious pretty fast for me.

It was somewhat well received on arcades for the gore and the novelty of playing as dinos but it's just not a very good fighting game so it had no staying power. The console ports were censored (who the hell censors a battle between dinosaurs) so they fared even worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom