Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So, I used search and didn't found thread dedicated to this amazing game (also two dozens posts mentioned it).
It's time to fill the gap. )

Basically it is Russian action-stealth-RPG game from 2000 (was released in English too), based on unique setting (well, sort of, at least for me it doesn't feels like something generic at all), and it was supposed to be the third part after 2 games called Rage of Mage, also you will not lose anything if we talk about lore, because Evil Islands has weak connection with the plot of the previous parts.
It's original name is Allods, which is Allodium. Allod, FR. alodis from al — and full od — possession) — according to medieval laws highlighted in the full power of the feudal land ownership.
This is world, that was once destroyed as a result of magical experiments, and now isles - the remains of the destroyed world float in astral (straight transliterations from Russian), so maybe in English it is what is called ether.
This astral\ether is devour those isles, unless there is Great Mage who lived there.
Great Mage can not leave his shard, but inside it is endowed with virtually unlimited power.
He is both the owner and the prisoner of his island. But other can travel between the islands in various ways.
Isles populated, other than humans, various creatures: ogres, orcs, lizards, dragons, goblins, trolls, and each of them characterized by its own climate, flora and fauna, the level of development.

So, game has 3D engine, player in real time manages a character (you can take 2 additional mercs) on the game map from the top view. Map has a relief, which affects the visibility and speed of the characters. Most of the game takes place in stealth-mode, i.e. the player needs to quietly move among the enemy. As you progress through the game style may vary depending on pumped talents, but for the destruction of the most powerful enemies tactics will always remain the same (invisible moving behind his back and backstabbing in head), for that reason you can target different parts of the body (numpad 8-head, 4-right hand, 6-left hand, 1, 3-legs, 5-body), which can turn the tide of battle - you can damage your enemy's arms and his attacks will be mchslower , but basically you'll aim in the head of course, and this applies to you too, so it would be better to have a headwear and armour in general. )
Different wepon have different characteristic and use. There are melee and ranged wepon, and magic too.
Each weapon has its own attack type: Piercing, Slashing, and Crushing. Each armor/material has a certain factor of protection against each type of weapon or magic, which individually or in sum directly reduce damage.
For example, all metal armor have a good defense against this weapon, but very vulnerable to spell of schools of lightning.

Evil Islands has a truly great craft\constructor of items and magic system. Given the fact game has many different materials, even basic armour with late-game materials can be very effective if you wish. You can deconstruct items you'll found, and you can even put in spells (which you can construct too using a runes). Cloth, leather, hide, fur, stone, bone, metal - there is a room for creativity, huh?

Of cource game has it flaws - battles are hard (I mean really), randomness in battle can lead to quick death, but basically this is nothing compared to interesting world and charm the game has.
Also you can ruin your characters, for example in my first playtrough I end up on second Isle, unable to kill anyone, so it can be rightfully considered as flaw, but I like that in games.

Also, another thing to note - you can play this game not only the way it was designed, but in completely different way.
Inquisitive fans of the game have found a way to kill almost all the monsters in the game, including those on the idea developers were unkillable (Project Genocide). :hahano:
There are detailed instructions on how to do it (and I can translate them if you want, and any help I can). :D

Music is charmig, sounds are perfect, I even had OST with some favotite tracks, but honestly combat music will quickly begin to annoy you if you do not get rid of it.

Also bear in mind, that with my English I can't describe game in decent way, also I could forgot something.
Also on Metacritic it has 74\7.7 if that mean for codexers something and review from http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_evili I belive I should put in (or shouldn't?)

There is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrI4XrqpMwE

You start as Zak, who woke up in old ruins, and he don't remember anything (yes, it's cliche but we al know it works if done right), and you eventually will find something about true yourself (if you survive).

So The Journey Begins!

PS It's look like there is a time for another playthrough. )

Last edited:

covr

Prophet
Patron
If I remember correctly there was also some kind of official expansion, but never translated into English.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, was made by funs, of unclear quality. Never tried it, EI by itself is satisfying for me.
There is HD pack, and even unofficial server of game. Still. )

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished it few years back, got some blast, final is meh with twist.
I found recently the addon - Forgotten in Astrale - and description is nice
New - fourth - hidden island, 120 new quests (some of them are hidden, other trigger in certain chain of events), bring class system and new content (weapons, armours, spells and else).
Some good souls (cough) translated it to potato dialect, fixed and released for free.
And it's piss easy compared to the original.

How much "stealthy" is this game? I love a well made stealth mechanic, but more than often it simply dosen't work right.
Really stealthy. You're always outnumbered and weaker. Always sneak up, scout ahead and bait one by one (or even better - avoid some enemies, especially gigants). EASY setting is not easy.
PS. meteorite spear powered with Heal is OP.
Well made? Nah, just stay behind their backs and don't make noise i.e. crawl all day, thank goodness there's key to accelerate time.

Turjan

Arcane
Really stealthy. You're always outnumbered and weaker. Always sneak up, scout ahead and bait one by one (or even better - avoid some enemies, especially gigants). EASY setting is not easy.
Yup, there often enough is no other way than to sneak past enemies. It's a different experience from most other games, where this is usually just one option of many.

I haven't played this in ages. I seem to have lost my box during one of my moves.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
How much "stealthy" is this game? I love a well made stealth mechanic, but more than often it simply dosen't work right.

Well, it mean that you basically can't beat anyone except frogs and pigs lol, if you didn't use backstab in the head.
Also, before you become stronger, you should crawl a lot, this is a lifesaver. After you get some exp, you can (and should if you exp hungry like me) return and kill those pesky orks and ogrs.
Also ogres have resistance against Piercing and Crushing, hehe, you'll need axe!
Also there are spells that can distract enemies! )

PS. meteorite spear powered with Heal is OP.
Well made? Nah, just stay behind their backs and don't make noise i.e. crawl all day, thank goodness there's key to accelerate time.
But with Project Genocide you can kill almost everyone! Of cource it include things like "switch to Easy and kill ogres", but it's a new way to play already familiar Gipat.

I seem to have lost my box during one of my moves.
Play Genocide friend! Also, in Age of Internet who need CD? ))) I bought Evil Islands two times, that much I like it.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
Play Genocide friend! Also, in Age of Internet who need CD? ))) I bought Evil Islands two times, that much I like it.
One of the reasons this game is quite unknown today is that it is generally unavailable nowadays, except in Russian.

Naraya

Arcane
I have a boxed version somewhere in the attic, in Polish and English. I remember back in the days, this game kicked me in the ass many times and eventually I abandoned it.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
One of the reasons this game is quite unknown today is that it is generally unavailable nowadays, except in Russian.

Yeah, GOG definitely should add it. In Russia there is multiplayer mod with perks, people are playing original even today.

this game kicked me in the ass many times and eventually I abandoned it.

Maybe it's time to play it again. )

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Evil Islands is pretty cool, item and spell crafting systems especially. I really liked the low-tech feeling of act 1, where getting a bronze sword was a big deal.

grudgebringer

Nival used to make great games back in the days and, as one of those, Evil Islands deserve its own re-release for sure. I remember that you can craft an item with any spell bound to it, something like sword with a firewall activating on a hit or just anything you wish, you just have to have enough resources to maintain it. Crafting was big part of the game since you always appear to be weaker than most of your enemies. Cool times.

Never managed to try out those official/unofficial add-ons that has sprouted after, are they any good?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I played and finished first island. Got tired of creeping around everywhere eventually.

Potato game cover is cool, but deceiving.

nnKYoGo.jpg

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I played and finished first island. Got tired of creeping around everywhere eventually.

Potato game cover is cool, but deceiving.

nnKYoGo.jpg

It's not, later you actually become that kind of armored bastard.

Meanwhile in Russia
15znz8g.jpg

First three ogres and 1st hour of Genocide.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
This was a great game back in the day. I finished it a couple time, first with default char and then with stats tweaked so that you can play a wizard instead of backstabbing melee guy. 2/3 of the game was great but on the last island that increased int stat started to give too much exp and the game became too easy.

At one time I even got my gf to play it with me, but there wasn't that much multiplayer content, at least not in english, to play so that ended pretty quickly.

Morkar Left

I absolutely despise the game!

Because I bought the box and it refused to run on three different pcs I tried over the years.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Nival used to make great games back in the days and, as one of those, Evil Islands deserve its own re-release for sure. I remember that you can craft an item with any spell bound to it, something like sword with a firewall activating on a hit or just anything you wish, you just have to have enough resources to maintain it. Crafting was big part of the game since you always appear to be weaker than most of your enemies. Cool times.

Never managed to try out those official/unofficial add-ons that has sprouted after, are they any good?

Yes.
Forgotten in Astrale (or was it Lost in Astral?) is good, just too easy.

Fenix
Also, is there away to keep pics for longer? Upload directly on forum somehow?
You can't use forum gallery anymore. Find some decent site like minus.com and stick with it.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I finished it a couple time, first with default char and then with stats tweaked so that you can play a wizard instead of backstabbing melee guy

Well, you can do it without tweaking, use exploits of mechanic\scripts like in genproject. You can kill on first Island all except 3 creature. )

Because I bought the box and it refused to run on three different pcs I tried over the years.
Try patching to 1.06? Or if you tell me what the problem, I'll try to help. It definitely have problems on win7 too.

Some progress. )
Btw is there a way to keep pics for longer? Upload directly on forum somehow?

Morkar Left

Try patching to 1.06? Or if you tell me what the problem, I'll try to help. It definitely have problems on win7 too.

Dunno what were the latest patches I tried. If 1.06 is an official one I have done that. I bought it on release and it didn't even run on xp for me on three different systems. Basically crashing in the main menu if I was able to start it at all.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

He seems to be telling us - what a wonderful day!

Or he is not?

A little but of more orc clubbing and I will be able to craft obsidian hammer! Or axe! Or spear! )

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom