Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul

Darkzone

Arcane
Amazing crafting system.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I would say - absolutely amazing crafting system.
On of the reason I make a thread about that game - to show it game mechanic to other (who maybe will play it).
I know some devs visit this blessed forum, and someone can requalify from "readers" to "devs" eventually.
I don't want that these amazinginvention were forgotten, don't want to sit and wait until someone re-invent them.
Just grab these ideas, don't let them die!

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Finished it few years back, got some blast, final is meh with twist.
I found recently the addon - Forgotten in Astrale - and description is nice

Some good souls (cough) translated it to potato dialect, fixed and released for free.
And it's piss easy compared to the original.

Really stealthy. You're always outnumbered and weaker. Always sneak up, scout ahead and bait one by one (or even better - avoid some enemies, especially gigants). EASY setting is not easy.
PS. meteorite spear powered with Heal is OP.
Well made? Nah, just stay behind their backs and don't make noise i.e. crawl all day, thank goodness there's key to accelerate time.

Then I'll definetly check this out. Good stealth game is a rare thing these days and I'm a sucker for sneaking and stabbing.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Try to save in different slots, because there can be situation when the enemy has already spotted you, but you don't see him and battle music don't start yet, and if you save game in this moment (and can't defeat the bastard) you fucked up.

Also you don't need crawl, move while crouching, just make sure you have Eagle Eye spell active on you - you can see farther with it.

Darkzone

Arcane
I would say - absolutely amazing crafting system.
On of the reason I make a thread about that game - to show it game mechanic to other (who maybe will play it).
I know some devs visit this blessed forum, and someone can requalify from "readers" to "devs" eventually.
I don't want that these amazinginvention were forgotten, don't want to sit and wait until someone re-invent them.
Just grab these ideas, don't let them die!
I'm not the one who likes to destroy dreams, but i will tell you something. The Devs suffer from a mental impairment, this still not diagnosed illness has one symptom. This symptom is evident that they do not listen to good ideas and they are not capable to repeat their previous successes. Else we would have an game that has the evil island crafting system, a story which is similar in composition to that of Fallout 1, but with a writing that is on pair with Planscape Torment and with certain combat qualities of the original XCom. But no we have a WL2, that has boring combat and don't get me started on PoE. PoE had only one task, that it failed, and this task was to recreate the Baldur's Gate experience.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Btw, about saveing - in map Dead Town\Sity, there are undead enemy, which don't have eyesight, they feel in radius.
And there are trees, which somewhat blocks eyesight, so there you really should save game in two different slots.

This is wild dance! ARRRGH!

Hugs! "Let me hug you from all of my heart!"

I hope there is no one from the Red Book-committee. O_o

Dirty peasant! I mean you are white! I mean, yellow a little! Now that start to sounds a bit racist.
I mean you - brittle skinny guy!

Bah! Still fragile, because you are rookie!

Now it's starting to become dangerous. Dead warriors are... errrr... deadly.

Whew! We must run! These are experienced enough to chop us!

Isn't it that film by Oliver Stone? Outcome essentially the same...

Re-done pics.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I want to give a a little hint that make early game much easier.
It is doubtful that someone would guess himself, you can play any number of times, and still not guess to do that.
So, in Settlment don't take any job in Foothills, talk only with Erfar. Thus picture in Foothills will be different - more creatures will show on map, and one with nice hammer, you need 16 points in stealng (don't know how it called in english version).

And pics of course.

This is what I call nudebomb - trying to kill orcs with my nudity.

Another hugs! This time - warm hugs.

Blackhawkdown! I don't think you can repeat it. )

Feminists. But these are not so ugly, and have wings.

Hug-bug!

Wants me to scratch his belly.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Is this modded? I don't remember these guys outside of caves. I haven't played EI is years though.

If we're giving advice, here's something I just remembered: always aim for the head against archers, they have low defense and you can kill them in 1-2 attacks. Especially useful against the pygmies with blowguns, you can get a lot of good crafting materials from them right at the start of act 2.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Nope, it isn't modded, these are nests in Far\Distant Mountains - easy source of their bones, which is good for wands\spears.

Also, another series of silly pics, and two very serious pics, taken thanks to Project Genocide.

How we welcome each other in Evil Islands - Hello deer! Hello Zak!

Never too much... ubiquitous India. This looks like Shiva for me.

It's not what you think! ))) My armor broke on this last skeleton, except for gloves.

Now serious.

Golem wants to live! But that's not gonna happen.

It has a diamond inside! ;)

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So, I had a little troubles in Genocide plan, because I decide to modify it a bit, and something went wrong.
While I waited for some advice, I decide to play Аллоды 2 (also known as Rage of Mage: Necromancer in West), which is predecessor of Evil Islands decide to play very focused on Strenght build I never played before.
Well, a week of intense playing went to hell, because first game decide that saving game not necessary for me. ))
I used "cut\insert" option to backup save files in different folder, and when I reinstalled game, I used options "remove all components", and... this deleted all my saves, which was not a pleasant sensation, I can assure you.

So I can't even show you interesting pics from game, but I have something as little bonus.

Quite funny if you ask me, words translates as "Got some [weed]?"

And interesting thing - did you know that Skrakan on first level has something named "Magical Beard" (looks like helm lol and give +4 to Dexterity)? And you can kill him (more precisely another creature can kill him), and take all his precious loot, AND win a level before "fail screen" will appear.
So far, I only manage to pick up items, but not fast enough to fin level (yeah I started again silly me).

Seerix

Arbiter
Somebody's really excited about this old game...

But yeah, it is pretty fucking cool. Was one of the first games I played on pc, was stuck in it for about two weeks before finishing it and.. kinda moved on. I clearly remember the crafting, graphics and how character was getting bulkier with strength increases. Setting also seemed pretty interesting... wasn't this game somehow related to Rage of Mages? A spiritual sequel or something? :?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It is a sequel, setting almost the same or the same (there is some western bullshit with rights-copirights and such shit).
Crafting is amazing, animation is best for that time, voices just superb (in Russian version actually, because it was AAA-game in Russia then, and that was a time when famous theatre and film actor of Soviet times can participate in game (Emmanuel Vitorgan), for now it is impossible).

For me this game on the same level as Baldurs Gate, maybe almost same level.
Crafting system unrivaled until now.
Game has inner logic and interaction which allow thing such proj. Genocide to exist. )
Great game!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Rage of Mages, now that is game I spent too much time playing :D Wasn't there also Rage of Mages 2?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It was, it on my last pic, it is a first level\map, where Skrakan - Great Mage of Jazes allod\Isle was killed and left lot of stuff. :D
I going to pick up all of it.
Better then Rage of Mage, but I'm not sure, didn't remember it much, only that we stuck on some mission. :D

T. Reich

Arcane
Rage of mages 2 was way better than the first one, mostly because it really improved the interface and added lots of options for autocasting and also a good deal of quick button commands. The spell selection was also significantly expanded.

Otherwise, it's the same as the first one. Good stuff.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
If I recall correctly, I installed this game from only 1 CD, guess 3 CD was the way to charge higher price.
This or you had a later version. As an exemple: original Planescape Torment was on 4x cd, later editions with the exact same game were on 2. Same with many games of the era. Apparently they learned how to squeeze more data onto the cd-roms as time went on.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
As I remember original EI was on 2 CD. But as wiki noted, there was gift\collection version of the game on 4 CD (included Rage of Mage I and II), and "also in the Polish collector's edition music is from the game was recorded on a separate disc in high quality" which give as 3 CD.

oscar

Arcane
A few hours in. This is actually pretty fun. I remember renting it from a library when I was about 8 and using cheats to get quite deep in the game before having to return it.

The primitive setting is a nice change to usual fantasy aesthetics and the snarky dialogues are quite entertaining as well. Reminds me a little of Arx Fatalis in tone.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm so glad to share fun and joy of this game! )
The only thing I should note - be very careful in your character building, you need to be a mathematician a little, basically if you get some perk, you need to pump it to lvl 3, if you take perk A 1 lvl, then perk B 1 lvl, it would be very expensive and unefficient way to spend precious exp, because every time you take a perk, every other perks will double its price.
That's how I ended up in a deadlock on second isle. )

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
The are a few tricks with leveling, but generally it's fairly easy:
* don't take perks unless you really need one to progress. They get really expensive fast.
* as Fenix said, try to pump each perk to lvl3 before getting another one.
* the backstab perk you get at the very start is already nice as is, you don't really need to pump it unless you want to engage in wholesale genocide versus the toughest enemies in the game. Generally, gear strength scales well with enemy strength.
* play solo, your possible companions are all relatively temporary, so sharing exp with them (sharing is automatic on kill) will deprive you of extra strength. Plus, they make sneaking around harder, if you actually use them. So, taking a companion actually makes you weaker, especially in long term.
* kill everything you can (and you can kill nearly everything eventually with just a modest bit of powergaming). Doing that ensures that you have to do quite a bit less sneaking later on, which really improves the pacing of the game.
* you can't make jack of all trades, but you can make a char strong in one aspect (melee/ranged/mage) decently competent in others, thanks to progressive nature of how much exp you get and incremental skill upgrade costs.
* that being said, bows are mostly situational support weapons.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Thanks T. Reich! You are right, I'm using bow just to kill those nasty toads, whom I can't reach in melee.

Also everyone should know that armour has hidden stealth modifier.
I have heard that the only positive modifier is on armour made from fur (so don't sell it), also I don't know anything about if metall armour has negative modifier, so most likely not.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Pimpin' of Mages 2 was my coolest LP

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom