Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evil's Doom - An incredible Dungeon Crawler for AMIGA/PC

Nyast

Cipher
Main character called "Bamboola", and first tavern's music is ripped-off the Conan the Barbarian movie. Certainly doesn't leave a good first impression.

MightyHoax

Educated
Project: Eternity
Anyone get flickering on a real Amiga with this?

Yes and no - the display is interlaced so you will get flickering when using an original amiga monitor or old TV. A flickerfixer or multisync monitor will remedy this.

I have an Indivision AGA MK2 installed in my A1200 and are using it with my regular monitor. I enjoy a flicker-free display output.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

Explored the first town, village and dungeon level. Towns are basically menu towns with chance of finding recruitable characters in various locations. Recruited a 14 year old Amazon Priestess with 4-6 in physical stats and 26-30 in INT and WIS. When entering the local tavern and drinks it was the best drink she'd had in years. :) It's totally random which party member comments or talks with NPCs.

There's lots of text for a RTB, but the writing is...variable. It's kind of poetic, in a badly translated (from Croatian) way. Also, some very annoying anachronisms refering to nuclear reactors and cable TV, which rather ruins the otherwise nice atmsophere.
Also, dialogue text is very slow, as if it was intended to be voice acted.

Nice cast of characters. Some will join if you help them, some are pure mercs, one at least is on the same quest, and some can be tricked into joining. I liked that.

The dungeon crawling is pretty basic so far. I use the magic map spells, since I can't play it windowed and I've grown too used to using Grid Cartographer these days (welcome to the 21st century, old man Octavius).
Like Dungeon Master you need food, water and light sources. Unlike DM, light is binary, though.
The game seems to be quite a bit faster than DM, and combined with a more clunky UI, I don't have "time" to cast combat spells; I just whack the ghosts in the first dungeon with a Vorpal Sword.
Keys are left in the locks when used, which is a nice touch. You can either leave them there, or pick them up again in case it fits more doors.
Doesn't seem to be a way to save in dungeons, so I exited after clearing the first level, and I had to remove items from characters' hands. :roll:

No idea how leveling works. Is it XP based, or based on skill use? Does stats increase?
So far "Conan" has done all the fighting, while the Amazon has done all the spell casting, so if based on skill use, some will advance quicker than others, thanks to the game being too fast for all to do anything useful in combat.

Music can't be turned off, which is a bummer.

Verdict so far: best NPC interaction of any RTB I've played, but the core of any RTB - the dungeon crawling - is not as good as in DM.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Turns out there's a way to save in dungeons after all, if you use the emulator menu (F12). Kinda need it on lvl 4-5 with spell casting zombies...

The game is definitely too fast; reducing emulator speed by 70% doesn't seem to affect combat speed at all. There's just not time enough to cast spells in combat, instead I rely on buffs (which expire too quickly) and melee. And there's just no time for all the party to do something in combat, since the front guys attack so fast. Only time I've used a wand was when a Zombie cast a Freeze spell and my two front guys couldn't attack for like a second or two.

Zombies are deadly if allowed to cast spells. Fortunately they can't (or won't?) cast spells in melee.
But it's very annoying that they don't make any sounds when moving. I would have much prefered to hear footsteps from monsters than music! But maybe they are more like ghosts, and more corporeal enemies will make noise when moving?

Finally a character got a new level. For some reason Amazon Priestess He Klaa got a Fighter level, although she's done no fighting, just spell casting. No stats increases except some more Health, though.

Dungeon graphics is quite limited so far. Only one tile set, stairs are not shown, and very limited palette:
s2D7MT5.png

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Regarding companions and NPCs the game may be influenced by the Ishar games. I didn't play them, but AFAIK they have pretty good companion dynamics, with some of them even turning on each others.
Evil's Doom has had a few interjections by party members in the dungeon so far.

RTFM a bit closer I noticed that you can set up up three hot keys for spells, which makes spell casting in combat viable after all. The Heal spell was literally a life saver on lvl 5 or 6 (I've lost track) of the dungeon.
You can use the hot key from the spell book, or use the 1, 2 and 3 keys on the num pad. The latter crashes the game, though, possibly because I have two spell casters.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This game is still buggy...

On one of the underwater levels, you need to attack a section of the wall. One of the characters are supposed to say that the walls looks weak, but that didn't happen in my game.

In the final dungeon there's a level full of traps. You are supposed to see them if wearing a Glyph Mask, but again that doesn't happen. So I'm forced to scum save which is bloody annoying.

So far I've killed all enemies, including two bosses, without resorting to the "two step dance". But against a magic immune giant spider I was forced to use that lame tactic. It's really ridicilous how fast enemies (and party) attack in this game. But except for bosses, most enemies go down in one or two swings, so overall it's rather easy, and not very tactical.

Characters can dual wield, but again due to the speed, there's really no need, because you can't possibly use four weapons in one "round" anyway. There's even a Helmet of Speed which speeds up your attack speed. :roll:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just finished the game.

It was quite good, but hardly a long lost masterpiece.

The Pros:

Good atmosphere, although partly ruined by anachronisms and some cringeworthy humour.

Good NPC interaction, and different ways of recruiting companions.

Levels within the dungeons are more interconnected than in most RTBs.

Descriptions of all items.

More of a story than other RTBs, if that is important to you.

Very nice graphics outside dungeons.

Spell hot keys.

Neutral:

You never face more than one enemy. But you can be flanked or surrounded, though.

Poor dungeon graphics, with very limited palette. Several different dungeon types, though.

The Cons:

Bad English. Too wordy and too slow dialogue.

Very linear. There are several dungeons and they must be done in order.

Except for some scripted Adventure game type instances, there's really no interaction with the dungeon. You can't use weapons or spells to open doors. You can't throw things through bars. No pressure plates. Very basic compared to Dungeon Master.

You need Food and Water, but not really since you have a cheap Feast spell.

Rather basic level design, with not very many puzzles.

Can't turn off music.
No directional sound, I think. Due to the annoying music (except in first dungeon) I kept sound at a bare minimum, but it sounded to me like footsteps were just "ambient" sounds to indicate general presence of monsters, and not directional sound.

Combat is too fast. Very little room for any tactics, except prepare with buffing spells, and maybe be ready with healing quick spells in combat. Never ever bothered with any missiles weapons.
No need to the combat waltz, though, with one exception.

Clunky UI.
Different item menus in dungeon and overland. You have to unequip hands before leaving dungeon!
Nowhere does it say what your current Mage or Fighter level is, and no meters for food and water.
Huge decline compared to DM.

The automap show illusionary walls and wall sections with levers and buttons, which is rather lame.
OTOH some of those buttons are almost impossible to see, so maybe that's why it was added in newer versions of the game? It was not like that in older versions.

All in all it pales compared to the far more advanced Dungeon Master.
It's funny how DM and Chaos Strikes Back still has the by far most interactive dungeons among RTBs, with the possible exception of Legend of Grimrock which I haven't played.

I may sound very harsh, but it's not a bad game. It's just that DM and CSB are so bloody good.
If you like Eye of the Beholder, Black Crypt and Lands of Lore you will enjoy this one.

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
:necro:

Just came across this topic, from what I remember, part of the reason why this was never released was that they sent the beta to a few journos to be previewed, who then leaked it to the pirate groups. Nice going, dickwads.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Boleskine

http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/09/evils-doom-incredible-rpg-dungeon.html

Welcome to Evil's Doom, one of the last "big" Amiga games; a classic dungeon crawler made by Croatian developers Olympia Entertainment Group that was never officially released. According to some sites it was due to bugs however Evil's Doom became a victim of software piracy, after the beta version was sent to magazines, the first cracks appeared and the developers cancelled the game and left the Amiga.

I remember reading that elsewhere too some years ago, I think it might have been an interview or someone from the team commenting on it in some forums, or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom